Why did the British need Australia as a penal colony when they already have vast tracks of land in Canada?

I'm Liking and endorsing the posts that mention the USA proximity factor.

The last thing one needs in establishing a prison colony is a revolutionary republic with a tradition of waving the bloody shirt about the powers that be running the prisons, and one hungry for settlers no questions asked and devoted to ruthless entrepreneurship, outpopulating the proposed prison colony ten to one, right there on the border with the better land and lots more strategic depth. The greater the proportion of total population of the BNA colonies is current and sentence-served convicts the greater the likelihood that some really large portion of the colonial population views incorporation into the USA as a positive good. The more prisoners Britain sends to the northern colonies, the more escapees and/or post-sentence emigrants the USA gets who are deeply soured on the British system and add to the US factions favoring conquest of Canada.

Now there were good reasons for the USA not to be gung ho about invading British protectorates of course; it isn't a slam dunk that say 10-20 percent of Canada's OTL immigration is augmented by forced transportees automatically leads to US conquest, or that the USA is certain to win such a war.

We did pretty abysmally in 1812 after all--but this I think related to the fact that the people inhabiting BNA that remained were hostile to the idea of being part of the USA. Create a huge fifth column, with some of that population moving to the USA and inciting deeper hostility to the British system, alienate and insult the OTL loyalist British settler population...no. I think British officials were bright enough to foresee these difficulties. If Australia did not exist as an alternative, perhaps they might have settled on South Africa instead; I think Canada would have been a pretty desperate choice and they might sooner have thought twice about "transportation" as a solution at all.

And what is to be done with convicts who have served out their sentences? I believe transportation sentences often stipulated in addition to a fixed and generally limited term of years of forced convict labor, that the convict is barred from ever returning to Britain itself for life or some longer term; besides it would be expensive for these ex-cons turned out of the prison yard onto the streets to be able to afford to pay passage back home anyway--clearly that was more true of Australia than Canada though! The former prisoners and on paper lifelong exiles will be accumulating in the prison colony, not under the control of the authorities (until caught committing some new crime of course--and I don't doubt the non-convict colonists would be very very suspicious of transportees and liable to convict them on the drop of a hat).

I don't know enough Australian history to know exactly how these considerations worked out there, but I do recall reading about a few insurrections.

I emphasize the USA factor because I think it makes a crucial difference. Right over the border is a bigger nation than the colony, even if we lump all the British North American colonies together into one big one (not done until 1867 OTL, and even then Newfoundland stayed out until the 1930s) which will honor British law if and only if its citizens feel like it, where persons of lower class British background can easily disperse and blend right in under false new identities.

This might work out pretty well as far as getting rid of undesirables from Britain is concerned; transportees who either serve out their sentences and then skulk over the border, or manage to escape before sentence is served and run over it, and either openly settle in the USA under their own names or assume a fake identity there, probably are never coming back to Britain. Some might argue that letting them sink or swim in the USA is no detriment to Britain and possibly of some benefit (British capitalists in fact had large investments in the USA and Britain traded with the USA a great deal). But having an alternative location where there is no place not under British rule for them to just walk away to is clearly better; as long as Australia remained under British control, any post-sentence life ex-convicts still under a Transportation for life sentence could manage for themselves would contribute to the resources of the British empire, not some upstart republican rival. Given the greater distance to Australia, one had to take a long view to argue this is more profitable, enough so to justify the costs, but given the slightest strategic aversion to aiding the Yanks and putting loyal British North American subjects at the slightest risk, Australia wins I think.

Forgive my ignorance, but what was the reason behind the British needing Australia when they could have just dumped convicts in parts of British North America they still retained post-ARW?

Darth, no need to ask for forgiveness- it's a good question that I wish I thought of!

Basically, Australia was colonized for strategic reasons. Britain wanted to protect it's trade with Asia and prevent other powers, particularly the Dutch and French, from having influence in the region. And like others have said, if convicts were sent to Canada, they could've just gone across the border into the USA, so it was deemed necessary to isolate them from the rest of the world.

Australia has giant spiders. Being sent to a country with giant spiders was punishment.
Canada has the Canadian winter, and it's the Little Ice Age. Are you going to give convicts better clothes than honest folk can afford back home to allow them to survive their sentence?

i was actually reading just recently that, after the Thirteen Colonies stopped being an option, there was actually a semi-extensive search for a new general-purpose penal colony and Australia was the eventual choice. (as a note, the first major British overseas penal colony, iirc, was Barbados; they sent lots of Irish there.) so the real answer to determining why it was Australia instead of Canada would be whatever their chosen criteria was; it also makes me wonder what the other options were, something between Canada and Australia that could've been chosen instead, or something beyond Australia.

I have a TL where Britain discovers the value of the sea otter fur trade with China earlier, which results in a series of forts from Alaska to northern California. Captain Cook is ordered there after his OTL charting of the Gulf of St Lawrence, but is tragically killed in a conflict with the natives;). Foulweather Jack Byron (the poet's grandfather) is given command of the Pacific expedition; not being as interested in exploration as Cook, he spends less time in New Zealand and misses the storms that drove Cook to Australia -he also acquiesces more to the Royal Society's theory of the Great Southern Continent- and sails south of Australia, which as a result goes undiscovered by the British. The convicts are shipped to the west coast to be used for logging for forest clearing.

The British transported convicts to America right up to the Revolutionary War. One fourth of the migrants during the eighteenth century from Britain to the British colonies were transported convicts. During the war the British had to house the buildup of convicted criminals on decommissioned ships (hulks). The British needed to establish a penal colony outside of the war zone; that is why the first Australian penal colony was started in 1788.

After the war, they had the Australian penal colony already established, and it was considered unwise to transport convicts to an area near the former colonies, as they would be liable to join any further revolutionary movements.

Last edited:
I have a TL where Britain discovers the value of the sea otter fur trade with China earlier, which results in a series of forts from Alaska to northern California. Captain Cook is ordered there after his OTL charting of the Gulf of St Lawrence, but is tragically killed in a conflict with the natives;). Foulweather Jack Byron (the poet's grandfather) is given command of the Pacific expedition; not being as interested in exploration as Cook, he spends less time in New Zealand and misses the storms that drove Cook to Australia -he also acquiesces more to the Royal Society's theory of the Great Southern Continent- and sails south of Australia, which as a result goes undiscovered by the British. The convicts are shipped to the west coast to be used for logging for forest clearing.
Small problem with your pod, the bristish were already well aware of the existence of Australia, or New Holland as it was then called, and knew about its Western, Southern and Northern coasts, and had done for about a century as the Dutch had found it in the 17th Century, and seeing no obvious application felt no reason to keep it a secret. Cook's primary mission on the voyage that passed through Botany Bay was to observe the transit of Venus from Tahiti, a matter of considerable importance at the time as it allowed them to triangulate the position of Venus, and they'd already missed one transit due to inclement weather. He also had secret orders to chart New Zealand and the East coast of New Holland, and if possible claim them for the British crown primarily to ward off the French from such commanding positions in the South Pacific.
Additionally, given the firm conviction just about all Victorian expeditions had that there would be a large body of fresh water like the Great Lakes somewhere in the Australian interior, there may well have been a feeling that given time Australia might become a replacement for the lost North American colonies, but this is just idle speculation on my part.

If the British captured California in 1792 then that opens up the North American west coast as an option. If the British captured the River Plate in 1807, then Argentina becomes an option as well.