Why Did JFK's Catholicism Not Harm Him to the Extent It Harmed Al Smith?

Also, JFK was a war hero.

I think Kennedy was simply a more attractive candidate running during an economic downturn, compared to Smith who was a poor national candidate during an economic boom year. JFK was an Ivy League educated war hero who presented a more polished image than Smith with his well-bred New England background, soaring oratory, and TV-made smile. Smith was a fat, cigar-chomping creature of Tammany who pronounced radio as "rahddio" and hospital as "horsepital." Even if Smith had FDR's charisma and Lincoln's intellect, he still would have lost due to the peace and prosperity of the 1920s. But I think that Kennedy, having learned from Smith's experience, knew that he had to emphasize the importance of separation of church and state while presenting an image that contradicted the traditional stereotype of a big city Catholic politician. As I have previously stated, the fact that the economy was in recession in 1960 but experiencing a boom in 1928 was just as decisive in terms of why Kennedy was elected and Smith lost.

Last edited:
As I have previously stated, the fact that the economy was in recession in 1960 but experiencing a boom in 1928 was just as decisive in terms of why Kennedy was elected and Smith lost.
The year 1958 was a recession. By 1960, there were signs of recovery, but it would take a year for them to become solid.

Fair, it was more of a comment that it allowed Hoover to get elected, who destroyed the country through the Great Depression.
Unfortunately, given Smith's later hatred of the New Deal, I'm not sure a Smith win in 1928 would have resulted in a cheerful economic situation come 1932.

(It'd also do wonders for the KKK).

Unfortunately, given Smith's later hatred of the New Deal, I'm not sure a Smith win in 1928 would have resulted in a cheerful economic situation come 1932.

(It'd also do wonders for the KKK).
Mmm, good point. It's amazing how hard it is to discredit laissez-faire capitalism in the US.

Mmm, good point. It's amazing how hard it is to discredit laissez-faire capitalism in the US.

I wonder if Smith would have governed much differently than Hoover, given his opposition to the New Deal. Either you would see a Republican-style New Deal in 1933, or a return to more business-oriented policies that would likely do little to alleviate the economic situation. In that event a Democrat wins in 1936, and probably enacts measures that would make the OTL New Deal look modest by comparison.