Why are there so many threads marked "we must build a canal"?

Discussion in 'Help and Rules' started by Miranda Brawner, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Miranda Brawner Trans Woman Donor

Could someone please inform me how this meme started? Thanks.

King_Arthur likes this.
  2. Look More Closely Later Probably off in a HP ff AU...

I think it was something to do with 'A Song of Ice and Fire'. There was a lot of discussion going on about building canals in some A Song of Ice and Fire threads on this website.

King_Arthur likes this.
  3. Tripledot Well-Known Member

People used to be able to freely add tags even if they weren't the OP. So someone started adding that tag to every thread they saw.

4. Luminous Headwing Consulting

And then there are some of us that just add it on for a thread even when it doesn't really need it. It just doesn't look like without that tag on it.

5. Pkmatrix Godzilla Fanboy Monthly Donor

During the first week of the Third Board (the current board software, Xenforo), anyone could add tags to any thread. Within a day or two of the switch, somebody began adding "We Must Build a Canal" to as many threads as they could - the phrase started as a sort of joke in the Alien Space Bats forum (the Fandom AH forum didn't exist yet) where there'd been a TON of Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire TLs and a fairly cliche trope by that point was building a canal across The Neck (thus, "we must build a canal").

After a day or so people noticed, it turned into a meme, and people began adding it to even more threads. By Day 5 of the Third Board (May 20, 2016) it had become so widespread Ian was forced to disable tags for everyone but the thread starter, and that's how it's been ever since.

I don't think we ever really found out who started it, actually...