Chapter Twenty-Four
Part Twenty-Four: A Mirror of Worlds:

“I had just come back from the publishers, rather disappointed really. What had happened was my hopes for a book parodying Fantasy tropes had been rejected simply because they felt it wasn't going to work, not with all the excitement around Ultima. They wanted straight takes on the genre and satire was left by the wayside. I was rather dejected the rest of the day, took the time in the weekend to go to a car boot sale, take the time to mull things over. It was there that someone was selling an old stack of White Dwarf magazines, at quite a good price too. The rejection was on my mind so I thought I'd skim through them in the evening and see what sort of Fantasy was popular and measure my options. It was somewhere in the back that I saw the advert for writers for the Warhammer series. Although it almost a year old, I decided to send in an application. After that, I haven't really looked back.”
- Extract from an interview with Terry Pratchett, 1998

Bretonnia (Witches and Maidens)
Chaos Warriors
Daemons of Chaos
Dwarves
Elves
The Empire (Wizards and Atldorf Regiment)
Orcs (Goblins)
Night Elves
Slann (Amazons)
Skaven
Trolls
Vampires
Werewolves
- List of armies in Warhammer Fantasy that had their own individual army book as of the sixth edition. The forces listed in brackets were too small to feature in Warhammer Fantasy as their own factions, being sub-factions in Warhammer Fantasy, while greatly adding to the success of Warhammer Fantasy Heroes.

“Terry came to us at a crucial time for Warhammer Fantasy. The second edition had been worked on and the world had a map attached to it, but it had yet to be fully fleshed out. When Terry sent us some of his writing samples, the mixture of satire with the fantasy tropes presented a real area of potential for the franchise. The ideas of novels based around Warhammer was a new one for us. We'd have short pieces of fluff written into the game books and short stories in the magazines, but full length novels were something we hadn't considered before. Terry's work showed us it had potential and after publishing his first work back in '84, we realised just how successful it could be.”
- Extract from an interview with Ian Livingstone, 1998

The Light Fantastic
Mort
Wyrd Sisters
Sourcery
Soldiers!
A Midsummer Knight
Something Wicked
Men at Arms
Reaper Man
Carpe Jugulum
The Lost Continent
The Duke's Regiment
Great Gods

- List of the 'core thirteen' books that make up the Warhammer Fantasy World as defined by Terry Pratchett. Others were written, but these made up the core parts of the series which would be developed by other authors.

“At the time, the rules for the game were still rather open to what we hoped to do with them. As Terry continued writing through the 80's, the popularity of the characters made us realise that we could use an even smaller base of characters for a different type of game. Warhammer Fantasy Heroes was born from that, focusing the gameplay on small bands of warriors as opposed to large armies. With several of the characters from the books making up the forces in this, it soon became one of our biggest successes from the mid-90's onwards.”
- Extract from an interview with Ian Livingstone, 2003

Change in Uniform – Once the Nobby Nobbs model is within 6” of enemy units, he calls out that he's defecting to their side. Enemy units then must do a morale check, passing if they get a 5+.
- Special Rule concerning the character of Nobby Nobbs in Warhammer Fantasy Heroes

Bretonnia – Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg, Maiden Magrat, Maiden Agnes, Sir Eric
Unseen University – Mustrum The Brown, Henry The Licorice (It's not black, only evil Wizards wear black), Rincewind The Ivory, Ponder The Emerald, The Luggage
The Atldorf Regiment – Colonel Samuel Vimes, Captain Carrot Ironfoundersson, Sergeant Frederick Colon, Corporal Nobby Nobbs, Errol
Werewolves – Lady Angua Von Kislev, Wolfgang Von Kislev, Gavin, Guye Von Kislev, Lupine
- A list of some of the nations, races and characters that were available for the Warhammer Fantasy Heroes line

“I hadn't planned on the Atldorf Regiment becoming as popular as they have done, but these things have a mind of their own. You always had it in the old stories, hero breaking into the temple of such-and-such before stealing the diamond of so-and-so before being stopped by the local soldiers or guards. The hero would then slaughter them, adding multiple charges of murder to the initial theft. I decided to give these brave, doomed souls their time in the Sun. Soon turned into a full tropical holiday.”
- Extract from an interview with Terry Pratchett, 2005

The success of Warhammer, spurred on by the novels written by Terry Pratchett, soon brought it to the attentions of Studio Eleven, who looked to make movies on their own merits as opposed to constantly distributing Studio Ghibli movies. Negotiations began in early 1989 and continued through the year, the violence inherent in the game stalled creative thoughts as they tried to look into ways that the animation could handle the demands. The aftermath of the Splatterhouse murders, the negotiations were dropped as most North American media tried to shy away from images of extreme violence. It wouldn't be until the mid-90's that a movie we be considered when negotiations began with Cosgrove Hall over a short film adaptation of Reaper Man. This also fell through due to Cosgrove Hall's decision to accept Virgin's offer of doing a short film based off the upcoming Pokémon games. It wouldn't be until the new Millennium and the backing of Nelvana that Warhammer would see an adaptation onto the screen of its stories.
- Extract from From Tables to Screens, The Rise of Warhammer, 2009

“The split between Warhammer Fantasy and Warhammer 40k has grown more pronounced as time has gone by. Whereas 40k has gone down the grimdark route, constant war and so on, Warhammer Fantasy has been a more satirical and almost light-hearted part of Game Workshop's output since Terry Pratchett joined it. I think that accounts for its much wider success, people bought the books, then got into Fantasy from there on. 40K still remains a popular game, but it's nowhere near the success of Fantasy. Even if people don't get into the game, the books have been successful enough that Games Workshop could probably just turn into a publishing company at this point and make money off Terry Pratchett's work until the cows come home.”
- Quote from OreGriz, member of Alternate History.com, 2009

“Well, we wanted the Five Horsemen as playable characters in Warhammer Heroes, and look what it's gotten us, the most broken and over powered army yet.”
“Don't care, get to play as the Grim Squeaker.”
- A conversation from the Warhammer Fan Forums and a common sentiment among the fandom is shown in the second post, 2002

Vimes looked up from his position on the ground, his eyes blinking back the blook that was running from the wound on his forehead as he looked over to where the Daemon was, seeing what had stopped it finishing him off. A figure in a black robe was standing between the two of them, a scythe in his hands with a blade so sharp that Vimes could feel its edge even from where he was. The Daemon snarled at the figure, its arms swinging its titanic sword directly at it.

"YOU DARE?!" It bellowed in a noise that almost deafened Vimes "You defy the Blood God! You go against your own purpose by siding with these mortals! Whose side are you on?!"

When the figure in the black robe answered, it wasn't with what Vimes could call a voice, it sounding like the lids of tombs slamming down in an empty catacomb. But he could still make out an edge of defiance running through the reply.

NOT YOURS.
- Extract from The Duke's Regiment, 1998

Last edited:
I'd love to be able to read those alt-Terry Pratchett books. I'm not so sure that he would survive Games Workshop micromanagement . Look what happened to Thrud the Barbarian and Gobbledigook and they were really popular AND funny.

I'd love to be able to read those alt-Terry Pratchett books. I'm not so sure that he would survive Games Workshop micromanagement . Look what happened to Thrud the Barbarian and Gobbledigook and they were really popular AND funny.

ITTL, Pratchett managed to get in quick and become a major part of Games Workshop pretty early on. Rather easier to avoid the micromanagement when you're the one bringing in a lot more than usual over such a long span of time.

Interesting idea having Pterry go Warhammer. I think the character names are a bit convergent but what the hay

I'd tend to agree but coming up with names is a weak point of mine. Tried with the book names and wasn't 100% happy with all of them.

On another note, since I'm trying to wrap up the 80's, are there any particular subjects people want me to look at? Jim Henson and Quantum Leap are down for a look anyhow.

Just caught up on this and the last two updates have been fantastic and I love the fact that Terry Pratchett is a writer for Warhammer

Just caught up on this and the last two updates have been fantastic and I love the fact that Terry Pratchett is a writer for Warhammer

Thanks for those words. Not sure why I went with Pratchett going for Warhammer, but was fun to consider. Sorry for the lack of updates recently, been suffering from a lack of focus and looked to other projects.

Chapter Twenty-Five
Part Twenty-Five: Odds & Ends:

Sam Malone............................................ Ted Danson
Diane Chambers (1982-97)...................... Shelley Long
Carla Tortelli Lebec...............................Rhea Perlman
Ernie "Coach" Pantusso (1982-85).. Nicholas Colasanto
Norm Peterson..................................... George Wendt
Cliff Clavin..................................... John Ratzenberger
Dr. Frazier Crane (1984-93)................ Kelsey Grammer
Woody Boyd (1985-93)...................... Timothy Treadwell
Rebecca Howe (1987-93).......................... Kirstie Alley
Dr. Lilith Sternin (1986-93).......................... Bebe Neuwirth
- List of major cast members from popular TV series, Cheers

“Jim had been looking into moving into other projects beside the Muppets and Sesame Street for a long while before approaching other companies about it. We'd made some movies regarding the ideas but Jim really wanted to show what he could do with puppets and, by extension, practical effects. The decision had eventually come to sell the rights to the Muppets, then using the money to work on further projects while still being able to do what he loved with the Muppets still. I do wonder what would have happened if the negotiations with Disney had panned out, but Studio Eleven managed to generally give him what he wanted right off the bat.”
- Extract from an interview with Frank Oz, 2001

“From the very start, going back to Rock And Rule, we had one goal, be different from Disney, be better than Disney. When we were hitting our stride in the late 80's, we looked towards doing as much as we could, always eager to take on new projects to stand out. It was through this that we discovered about the ambitions of Jim Henson and what they meant in terms of potential for us. He had entered into negotiations with Disney at the time regarding selling the properties of the Muppets franchise and a few other things. After talking it over with several MGM executives, we threw our hat into the ring. We wanted to see what we could do, not only with the Muppets, but the ideas that Henson and the people around him could offer.”
- Extract from an interview with Clive Smith, 2001

DEAL WITH MGM SEES RIGHTS TO MUPPETS SOLD FOR $35,000,000
- Headline from the Financial Times, 4/9/1989

“I was delighted when the deal came through in late '89. MGM didn't give us as much as Disney was offering, but the freedom to still work with the Muppets under the MGM umbrella, and design our own projects as part of the Workshop was a great move for us. When MGM made the offer after Disney seemed hesitant, I spoke with everyone else and we made the decision to move forward with it. It gave the Workshop a lot more freedom to choose our projects and we've been able to work alongside Nelvana in a variety of projects over the years. Starting off with The Moomins was a great challenge for us, one that we all enjoyed.”
- Extract from an interview with Jim Henson, 1999

The Moomins (1991-1993) – TV series created for children as part of Nelvana's attempt to break out of animation. The first television project working alongside Jim Henson's Workshop, the show was a live action feature with puppets designed and built by the Workshop. Based off the novels by Tove Jannson, The Moomins series was popular, despite its short length, fans praising it for keeping to the spirit of the stories they were adapted from and the high quality of the puppets involved. Despite strong ratings, the series was cancelled after Nelvana deemed the show too expensive to continue. The show is also notable for being Natalie Portman's screen debut in the role of Little My.
- Extract from An Encyclopedia of Television Shows, 2003

“It was my first day on set, my costume had been fitted and I was just standing around as they set up the cameras. I'll admit, I was nervous, I was only ten at the time and had grown up with the Muppets so I suppose you could say I was a little starstruck. I think Jim must have seen my fidgeting about because he came over towards the Moomin puppet I was standing next to and he started talking to it “First day of filming today, you nervous?” He asked and Moomin nodded along “Oh, don't you worry.” Jim went on in that gentle way he always has “I'm always a little scared myself before filming, but it always turns out great. Besides, you've got Natalie here to help you out. She'll make sure you're fine.””

“Right after that, someone shouted out for Jim and came rushing over, there was a problem with the Sniff puppet that needed fixing and I realised that he probably had a 1000 things to do at that second, but chose to help me get over my nerves. He smiled at me and asked me to take care of Moomin for him and all I could do was smile and nod back, that little bit more confident. That day, it seemed like every shot was perfect and we filmed it in hardly any time at all. It was my first big role, and, thanks to people like Jim working on the set, it's always been one of my favourites.”
- Extract from an interview with Natalie Portman, 2003

“The growth in Sci-Fi shows in the late 80's was something of a second golden age for fans. Star Trek: The Next Generation had proven to be something of a flop, but Voyager coming about really rectified that. In the meantime, Doctor Who was proving to be a big hit, Ghostbusters was quickly popularising Urban Sci-Fi as a sub genre and Fantasy was also getting a boost with the Ultima movies. Quantum Leap was one such show that took advantage of this.”
- Quote from GenoCyndi, member of Alternate History Forum, 2014

“Lasting from 1989 to 1994, Quantum Leap was helped by the great popularity Sci-Fi was going through at the time. It got off to a strong start with NBC wanting their own original show to take up the mantle of Sci-Fi success and gave it a strong push with focus from advertising. It got great ratings that it maintained throughout its run and one of the most beloved endings in any show at the time. What wasn't to love?”
- Quote from QLeaper, member of the Freakin' Awesome Network Forums, 2011

“So, after Beckett returns home, does he go back to Leaping again in that final scene, or what?”
- Question many had about the ambiguous ending of Quantum Leap

Very cool to see what Jim Henson is up to in this timeline. His rendition of the Moomins sounds great. I hope that the setback with Moomins won't hinder the relationship.

It would be awesome if Henson and Miyazaki meet each other through their mutual connections with Studio Eleven, as a collaboration between the two great masters would be awesome. The two are both incredibly creative, and often addressed similar themes in their works.

Here are two possibilities that come to mind. The first idea is for a television series based sort of around the setting of Spirited Away, with a child from the outside world getting impressed into working at a bath house and inn for spirits and monsters. Only the story is extended into a longer set of episodes. It would center around the day-to-day antics of the bizarre workers and the girl as they try to please the various guests coming and going. It would be a mix of comedy and drama, as the humorous interactions of the girl with the staff are tempered with more serious themes, as she struggles to keep her humanity and memories while trying to find a way out; while many of the workers are strange and funny, they also demonstrate at multiple points that they have alien, often monstrous viewpoints that separate them from humans. Plus, the series would bring in some environmental themes. Perhaps, depending on the budget, the series could actually be a mix of animation and puppets, to sort of highlight the concept of multiple worlds.

The second idea that occurred to me is for a Muppet film based on some of the classic Oriental stories such as Journey to the West, Ramayana, and Tale of Genji. Only, in true Muppet fashion, the movie turns into a crazy, mishmashed crossover as the normally stand-alone stories collide in a delightful blend of chaos and drama. For instance, Kermit could be Genji, Gonzo Sun Wukong, Miss Piggy either Kaguya or Benten, etc. Breaking from the official "scripts", the different characters end up encountering each other on their journeys, leading their now-combined stories in new directions.

Just two possibilities for Henson-Miyazaki collaborations that I wanted to bring up. Whatever happens, I will be interested to see where Henson's partnership with Studio Eleven goes.

Very cool to see what Jim Henson is up to in this timeline. His rendition of the Moomins sounds great. I hope that the setback with Moomins won't hinder the relationship.

It would be awesome if Henson and Miyazaki meet each other through their mutual connections with Studio Eleven, as a collaboration between the two great masters would be awesome. The two are both incredibly creative, and often addressed similar themes in their works.

Here are two possibilities that come to mind. The first idea is for a television series based sort of around the setting of Spirited Away, with a child from the outside world getting impressed into working at a bath house and inn for spirits and monsters. Only the story is extended into a longer set of episodes. It would center around the day-to-day antics of the bizarre workers and the girl as they try to please the various guests coming and going. It would be a mix of comedy and drama, as the humorous interactions of the girl with the staff are tempered with more serious themes, as she struggles to keep her humanity and memories while trying to find a way out; while many of the workers are strange and funny, they also demonstrate at multiple points that they have alien, often monstrous viewpoints that separate them from humans. Plus, the series would bring in some environmental themes. Perhaps, depending on the budget, the series could actually be a mix of animation and puppets, to sort of highlight the concept of multiple worlds.

The second idea that occurred to me is for a Muppet film based on some of the classic Oriental stories such as Journey to the West, Ramayana, and Tale of Genji. Only, in true Muppet fashion, the movie turns into a crazy, mishmashed crossover as the normally stand-alone stories collide in a delightful blend of chaos and drama. For instance, Kermit could be Genji, Gonzo Sun Wukong, Miss Piggy either Kaguya or Benten, etc. Breaking from the official "scripts", the different characters end up encountering each other on their journeys, leading their now-combined stories in new directions.

Just two possibilities for Henson-Miyazaki collaborations that I wanted to bring up. Whatever happens, I will be interested to see where Henson's partnership with Studio Eleven goes.

In truth, the thought of Henson collaborating with Studio Ghibli in some manner has become more and more tempting as time has passed. I'm starting to realise Henson's own creativity and passions align closely with Miyazaki's in some way. That said, the latter appears to have a much more forceful personality than Henson ever did, which could lead to some clashes.

Thanks for your comment and I actually would have loved to have seen the Muppet idea in OTL in some manner.

So, does Woody Harrelson never come into prominence, or is he just not on Cheers?

They could also adapt those stories as serious epic fantasies, like The Dark Crystal.

So, does Woody Harrelson never come into prominence, or is he just not on Cheers?

They could also adapt those stories as serious epic fantasies, like The Dark Crystal.

He's just not on Cheers. We've also been denied a rather good documentary too, if you know who was cast in the role.

Having just seen The Dark Crystal a while back, having the Muppets in that would have been... remarkable.

From now on, Doctor Who would be serious, it would be gritty and an American Doctor, one of the points about Denver that core Who fans really hated, would turn to a boon rather than a detriment. Turner was determined that Doctor Who would go back to the way it should be, danger everywhere and unafraid to show the consequences of what would happen in dire situations. It was a decision that almost killed Doctor Who completely.”
- Extract from ‘Redemption of The Daleks’ A review by SFDebris, 2012

An ATL SFDebris... :D

Man, I'm really going to get into this little timeline.

An ATL SFDebris... :D

Man, I'm really going to get into this little timeline.

Glad you're enjoying it. Hopefully manage to get back into the swing of things by returning to Doctor Who in the next update. Actually couldn't come up with an alternate name for SFDebris though. Still, he seemed like a good source to have for going into the nerdier aspects of this timeline.

How long did Cheers last?

Same as OTL. It was beloved by the network, had strong writing and fun characters. It was just as popular ITTL.

In truth, the thought of Henson collaborating with Studio Ghibli in some manner has become more and more tempting as time has passed. I'm starting to realise Henson's own creativity and passions align closely with Miyazaki's in some way. That said, the latter appears to have a much more forceful personality than Henson ever did, which could lead to some clashes.

Thanks for your comment and I actually would have loved to have seen the Muppet idea in OTL in some manner.

I'm glad that you liked the ideas. You're right, Miyazaki and Henson would probably clash on some issues, but I think that together they could create unique masterpieces.

In any case, I'll be interested to see what other projects Henson has in store.

I'm glad that you liked the ideas. You're right, Miyazaki and Henson would probably clash on some issues, but I think that together they could create unique masterpieces.

In any case, I'll be interested to see what other projects Henson has in store.

Henson will be popping in from time to time, especially as Studio Eleven and Nelvana looks to expanding into different creative avenues.

Chapter Twenty-Six
Part Twenty-Six: Silence Shall Fall:

[Scene: Mek and Teera are standing beside the door to the TARDIS, packed and ready to go to their new life on a planet known as Ramis. The Doctor is there to give them a farewell, shaking both by the hand.]

MEK:
Well, looks as if this is goodbye Doctor. It's been... an experience.

DOCTOR:
A pleasant one I hope.

MEK:
No comment.

TEERA:
An interesting one at least. [Shoulders her bag]

DOCTOR:
Just remember, you're on your own from now on. I hope you do your best in your new lives.

MEK:
Well, helping out people to rebuild their society wasn't exactly what I had in mind as a kid but...

TEERA:
Let's just say we're looking forward to the challenge.

DOCTOR:
Now that, I can understand. Good luck to the both of you.

MEK:
You too Doctor.

TEERA:
We hope you find what you're looking for.

DOCTOR:
Hopefully, it'll be something like what you two have.​

[With one final smile and goodbye, Mek and Teera leave the TARDIS for the last time, the Doctor watching them on the viewscreen, walking over a field to a nearby village to begin their new lives. Eventually, he switches it off and turns on the TARDIS itself, the familiar sounds starting up.]

DOCTOR:
Now then... Where to?​
- Final scene Start Anew, the first serial of the twenty-sixth series of Doctor Who, 1991

PJ Hammond taking control of Doctor Who in time for the twenty-sixth series was the key factor in Sean Bean deciding to stay on with the show. Creatively, the tenure of Mark Campbell as head of the show had seen it return to the format of previous years. Unconnected adventures with the Doctor and his companions were the common feature of the series in the 1988-1990 period, as opposed to the story arcs of the Sixth Doctor. Once PJ Hammond took control of the show for the twenty-sixth series though, the creative direction changed as storyline factors dropped after the departure of Alan Moore from the writing team returned. Bean, having been on the fence over whether or not to stay on, agreed to after a series of conversations on where the show was to lead to in the run up to its thirtieth anniversary.
- Extract from Doctor Who: The Backstage Story, 2008

He Shall Fall:
The Doctor touches down on a planet that has drawn the TARDIS towards it. Arriving on the planet, he finds the inhabitants preparing for a war and being encouraged in this by a man who calls himself 'The Doctor'. Whatever questions arise from this are put to one side as the invasion comes to the planet in the form of things that swell in the shadows. The facility that they're in comes under attack with many in it dying and the survivors retreating to a hidden room where a project was being pushed forward to help create a time machine was kept. 'The Doctor' shows his true colours at this point by trying to take the machine for himself, leaving the rest behind. This backfires horribly though as the machine malfunctions and kills 'The Doctor', leaving only a handful of survivors left as the creatures break into the room. Having managed to rig up a machine to repel them, the Doctor uses it and leads the remaining scientist to the TARDIS in time to escape. As they leave, the TARDIS receives a message from those who had attacked the facility. Declaring that all who use time travel are enemies of the Silence, the message singles out the Doctor as being the last of the Time Lords and, as such, one who must be killed, at all costs.
- Synopsis of Silence Shall Fall, the second serial of the twenty-sixth series of Doctor Who, 1991

“I've always been known as one of the constant background actors in Doctor Who, it's become a career in and of itself. I've seen at least one fansite that's listed my roles in the series over the years. I think actually playing someone pretending to be the Doctor was a highlight. Silence Shall Fall was a lot of fun, and not just because I was in the limelight for a change!”
- Extract from an interview with Colin Baker, 2007

“All scores being equal to their series, Silence Shall Fall gets an eight out of ten. The addition of Colin Baker as a bombastic parody of earlier Doctors gives the serial a much needed dose of comedy amid some well shot tense scenes. The reintroduction of the Silence as enemies was a much needed boost to the series creatively and gave the audience a hint of what was to come over the next three years. Professor Alphys, as played by Alphonsia Emmanue, as the newest companion to the Doctor served well to break from the previous few years, offering a stark contrast to Mek and Teera with her character's scientific and flirty demeanour.”

“Silence Shall Fall established a number of things. We finally got a glimpse into the true after affects of the Great Time War with Colin Baker's fake Doctor. There were those who remembered it, some to exploit the reputation of those who had fought in it for their own gains, and those who looked to destroy the remnants of both sides in the conflict. The Silence were revealed and would be a constant threat for the next three seasons. Their return would take the show in a new direction creatively. One that would take the limelight until the thirtieth anniversary.”
- Extract from Silence Shall Fall, a review by SFDebris, 2015

Profile:
Formed in the aftermath of the Great Time War, the Silence are a group dedicated to the destruction of any technology that could be used to travel through time. The only time travel technology they want to exist would be under their complete control, the scars etched across the Universe from the Great Time War convincing them to go to the greatest of extremes. An organisation made up of differing races and species, the Silence is small, elite and ultimately deadly. They served as the Seventh Doctor's most consistent foes throughout his tenure and most dedicated. As last of the Time Lords, the Silence is dedicated to destroy the Doctor and everything around him, to stop another Time War from happening again. The organisation is fanatical and will stop at nothing to destroy all time travellers, the Doctor being their top priority.
- Extract from the enemy page of the Doctor Who 1991 book annual, 1991

[Scene: The TARDIS is in the dark as the Doctor sits at the console in the middle of the room. He is staring off into the distance, thinking of what has transpired in the day with the revelation of the Silence. Behind him, Professor Alphys steps through a doorway.]

ALPHYS:
You couldn't sleep either?

DOCTOR:
… No. My mind was on other things.

ALPHYS:
You mean the other Doctor? A relation of yours, was he?

DOCTOR:
No, a fraud. Funny, when I think about it. I only got called the Doctor because of someone breaking into this place and they wound up twisting their ankle. Basic medical knowledge was something I actually managed to retain my memories. They started calling me Doctor and it stuck. Looks like I couldn't escape from myself.

ALPHYS:
I've found that life has odd ways of reminding you of the past. How much do you remember after today?

DOCTOR:
Only what the Silence really told me. That I'm the Doctor and that I'm the last of the Time Lords. Although they've clued me in on something else at least.

ALPHYS:
What's that?

DOCTOR:
There's a Planet out there called Earth. One that I've apparently defended from these... 'Daleks' time and time again. It's about time I paid it a visit...​
- Final scene from Silence Shall Fall, the second serial of the twenty-sixth series of Doctor Who, 1991