Who would win in a fight?

Who would win in a battle?

• John "Bareknuckles" Churchill, The Masher of Marlborough

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Arthur "The Crusher" Wellesley, The Bison from Hellington, Duke of Wellington

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Tie (somehow)

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • I added this fourth poll option, but forgot why, so don't select it.

Votes: 8 27.6%

• Total voters
Who would win in a fight; John Churchill, Duke of Marlborough or Arthur Wellesley, Duke of Wellington?

First, they are obviously from different times with different technologies (slightly, they are about 100 years apart in their respective wars). Thus, assume they meet with technologies of the middle (say, 1750's or 60's. I don't know how much this changes, but I would assume little).

Secondly, assume the location of the battle is none other than the Fields of Waterloo. Both won spectacular victories either there or nearby (Marlborough at Ramillies, Wellington at Waterloo). Assume that neither has fortified anything.

Finally, assume that they both have 25,000 men whose morale is at a high.

Personally, I think Marlborough, but what do you think.

Last edited:

Thande

Donor
It makes something of a difference: in the Blenheim era, the British fought with deeper lines owing to muskets not reloading as quickly.

I'm tempted to say Marlborough. The tech level given is closer to his era in terms of relevant tactics, and I think he was a more aggressive general than Wellington - if they're equally matched numerically, that makes a difference to morale.

It would be close, anyway.

It makes something of a difference: in the Blenheim era, the British fought with deeper lines owing to muskets not reloading as quickly.

I'm tempted to say Marlborough. The tech level given is closer to his era in terms of relevant tactics, and I think he was a more aggressive general than Wellington - if they're equally matched numerically, that makes a difference to morale.

It would be close, anyway.

I clicked the fourth button.... Just to spite you!

Who are their sub commanders? If Wellington has Picton, Beresford and others, I'd really say him.

NapoleonXIV

Banned
I selected 4, because I didn't read the post and thought it was a boxing match.

Churchy would prolly wipe the floor with Wellington. His hobby was bricklaying, you know.

At Waterloo I would give the edge to Wellington but it would be close.

In any singular battle between Wellington and Marlborough where Marlborough has chosen the battlefield he is likely to win but if Wellington chooses the battlefield then Marlborough might win but he is more likely to lose.

If there was a campaign fought between the two of them I would expect Wellington to win because he showed a much better understanding of all the required abilities of generalship than Marlborough did however Wellington would only likely win in a defensive camapign against Marlborough and in politics as Marlborough was without a doubt the greatest offensive general in British Military history.

On the battlefield itself I think Marlborough was probably the greatest General in British history but in overall terms of generalship he was second to Wellington.