Which western aircraft designs would you copy ?

You are the head of soviet high command and you have to pick 3 western aircraft design to copy and mass produce during the 1950-1990 period which ones would you pick ?
Spy networks can deliver one copy of any aircraft you like [ i know ASB ] but just pick 3 designs purely on basis of what would be the best fit for the soviet airforces

Personally I would copy the Kfir or Mirage IIIE , it would be a great compliment to the Mig-21 and fulfill many of the A2G roles that had to be assigned to su-7/17

F-5 is a good start
other are WAY too complicated for soviets I think
We weren't asked about "complications". We were just asked what would be worthwhile for the Soviets' to copy. All three/four represent a logical progression.

Personally I would copy the Kfir or Mirage IIIE , it would be a great compliment to the Mig-21 and fulfill many of the A2G roles that had to be assigned to su-7/17

The SU7 was an adequate aircraft and actually, originally a competitor for the MiG21. The SU17/22 were significantly better. The Mirage III would be a comparable aircraft to the MiG21's later versions.

The SU7 was an adequate aircraft and actually, originally a competitor for the MiG21. The SU17/22 were significantly better.
Su7 was the last of the "fighter-bombers" in soviet service as su-17 is purely a tactical bomber.My biggest problem with su-7 is it had such a light weapon load in realistic combat conditions
The Mirage III would be a comparable aircraft to the MiG21's later versions.
Yes but with significantly more range and air to ground weapons

Different aspects to the aircraft... We were only asked to consider the aircraft, not the weapons it carried.
The weapons a WARPLANE carries has significant role to play in the decision making , we are not considering these aircraft based on aesthetic appeal.

The weapons a WARPLANE carries has significant role to play in the decision making , we are not considering these aircraft based on aesthetic appeal.
Weapons can be changed and I'd be surprised if the Soviets considered Western Weapons. Most of them were well beyond what they could manage. Aircraft, less so. Afterall, they adopted the F-5 as the MiG-28... ;)

marathag

Banned
You are the head of soviet high command and you have to pick 3 western aircraft design to copy and mass produce during the 1950-1990 period which ones would you pick ?
Spy networks can deliver one copy of any aircraft you like [ i know ASB ] but just pick 3 designs purely on basis of what would be the best fit for the soviet airforces
You mean in addition to being 'inspired' like the NAA A-5 Vigilante

Early NAA mockup
1606890304682.png
1606890424904.png
MiG-25
"Rumour has it that the story of the MiG-25 began with a conversation between Chief Designer Artyom Ivanovich Mikoyan, who had just returned from the 1959 Paris Air Show, and project designer Yakov I.Seletskiy. Mikoyan ran into Seletskiy as he was passing along a corridor of the OKB-155 office and suggested that Seletskiy should 'draw an interceptor along the lines of the [North American RA-5] Vigilante but powered by two R15-300 engines, designed to fly at 300 km/h (186 mph) and without all-too-sophisticated high-lift devices'. At the time, such a phrase from the OKB chief was tantamount to an official go-ahead.
Source: Mikoyan MiG-25 Foxbat: Guardian of the Soviet Borders

F111F
F15A
E3

The CF-105, which had analog-Fly-by-wire very similar to Concorde (1969) the F-16 (1974) and Mirage 2000 (1978)... right from 1958.

the Harrier, the F16 and the E3
Hmmm... Yak-41 Freestyle and A-50 Mainstay disagree a little. The F-16... ok, the MiG-29 was more like a F-18.