• Of Auctoritas and Imperium

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • In Defence of the Republic

Votes: 18 38.3%
  • Hail Sejanus

Votes: 6 12.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Having suspended "Sons of Neptune" due to having made a key mistake which renders most of the timeline rather unaccurate, I've decided to write a different one, having considered several potential scenarios that I would be interested in writing about:

1.- Between Scylla and Charybdis: POD in 88 BC, as Lucius Cornelius Sulla dies at the battle of the Coline Gate, leaving Pontius Telesinus's Samnites to burn and sack Rome after betraying their Marian allies. The aftermath sees a civil war without a clear leader to end it, forcing Optimates and Popularis to rethink their approach.

2.- The New Hannibal: POD in 78 BC, Lepidus's revolt is still defeated, but he fares well enough to take a larger force and join Sertorius instead of mysteriously dying in exile. Significantly stronger than in OTL, Sertorius goes onto fighting a far more succesful war against the Senate to return to Italy and crush Sulla's legacy once and for all.

3.- Of Auctoritas and Imperium: The POD is in 47 BC, being that Julius Caesar dies during the Siege of Alexandria, leaving the Republic in a very difficult situation as Pharnakes of Pontus invades the East, Mark Antony is the unpopular Master of the Horse in Italy and Cato reorganizes the uneasy coalition of Optimates and Pompeians in Africa to resume the war.

4.- In Defence of the Republic: There are two POD's here from 43-42 BC, first being that Cicero escapes the OTL proscriptions to join Brutus, second that Brutus doesn't ask Cassius to come north too soon, leading to Cassius and the Liberatores invading Egypt to dethrone Cleopatra. All of this results in a very different campaign against Octavian and Antony.

[FONT=&quot]5.- Hail Sejanus: POD in 30 [FONT=&quot]or [FONT=&quot]31 [FONT=&quot]AD[/FONT]. Sejanus learns of [FONT=&quot]Tiberius's plans to make him fall from [FONT=&quot]power with the he[FONT=&quot]lp of Ca[FONT=&quot]ligula and Macro, and launches a counter-coup of his own to overt[FONT=&quot]h[FONT=&quot]row the Emperor and replace him with a suitable pu[FONT=&quot]ppet (like young Tiberius [FONT=&quot]Gemellus). [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

Last edited:
I would be interested in any TL, which finally leads to a more stable republic or a rather "constitutional" monarchy, with a stronger senate. I would be especially interested in the several rights and organisational structures of the states bodies in detail, which could establish such a stable republic.

Actually I am not that much interested in who beats who and when on the battlefield, and who marries which daughter. Even if I know, that multiple accidents make perfect triggers for a plausible change of history in a longterm step by step approach changing most importantly the society, the culture and the mindset of the romans. Of course, if you are not willing to change the society, the culture and the mindset of the romans, and if you are not a fan of roman law and inner political structure in detail, don't even think about touching this subject.

So 3, 4 and perhaps 5 might be a reasonable start for such a scenario.

However, whatever your focus gonna be, a nice novel to read is always welcome.

Last edited:
I would prefer that you continue the timeline that you were working on but any POD is good. We don't have enough timelines about Rome.

I would prefer that you continue the timeline that you were working on but any POD is good. We don't have enough timelines about Rome.

Well, I considered moving forward, but I would have had to change a lot of the narrative and since I chose to write it somewhat like a novel that it would have been somewhat difficult. If this new timeline proves succesful (as it stands it seems likely that In Defence of the Republic will be the chosen one), I'll probably pick up Sons of Neptune again and remake it with the necessary changes.