Which language, other than Hebrew, could be revived from a position with zero native speakers?

Albert.Nik

Banned
An example would be that in Hebrew,words like Ginger(Color) and Music exist as in English as I saw in Corey Gil Shuster's videos on YouTube.

New words are coined all the time in many languages, so why should that be a problem in a revived language? Either you use an existing old word with a new meaning, or you import a foreign word.

Yeah. Except no.
Dinosaur, like invertebrate, is defined by having attained a certain point in evolution, and not attaining one later point (for invertebrates, it's being a multicellular organism without a spine; for dinosaurs, it's a certain subtype of sauropsid, which does not descend from Archaeopteryx)
Yeah, ok Linnaeus.

Almost no serious biologist defines taxonomy on the basis of festures per se. Rather, its defined on the basis of descent - phylogenetics. Birds are descended from dinosaurs, ergo they are dinosaurs.

Yeah, ok Linnaeus.

Almost no serious biologist defines taxonomy on the basis of festures per se. Rather, its defined on the basis of descent - phylogenetics. Birds are descended from dinosaurs, ergo they are dinosaurs.
How many people do you see calling birds dinosaur ?
When you ask people what's a dinosaur, they'll show you a triceraptops, a T-Rex, a diplodocus, not a chicken.
The dinosaur, as used in common language, is not a bird.

When you ask people what's a dinosaur, they'll show you a triceraptops, a T-Rex, a diplodocus, not a chicken.
Yeah, people's understanding of science is generally decades out of date. It doesn't make it right.

Now generally I'm on your side when it comes to the Linnaean vs. Cladistic argument - Linnaean taxonomy gets the job done just fine for every day use, thank you very much. But we're having a more precise debate on the nature of descent. You made an emphatic quasi-scientic statement of fact outright denying cladistics that is technically wrong. You ought to have acknowledged that.

It's as if we were having a discussion about World War 2 and you declared that the Nazis had a pretty good chance of taking over the world on the basis that that's what the general populace believes. While they do and it's fine that they do since it gets across the essence of the wae, its not actually true and has no place in a fact based discussion.

Yeah, people's understanding of science is generally decades out of date. It doesn't make it right.

Now generally I'm on your side when it comes to the Linnaean vs. Cladistic argument - Linnaean taxonomy gets the job done just fine for every day use, thank you very much. But we're having a more precise debate on the nature of descent. You made an emphatic quasi-scientic statement of fact outright denying cladistics that is technically wrong. You ought to have acknowledged that.

It's as if we were having a discussion about World War 2 and you declared that the Nazis had a pretty good chance of taking over the world on the basis that that's what the general populace believes. While they do and it's fine that they do since it gets across the essence of the wae, its not actually true and has no place in a fact based discussion.
We're doing a discussion about linguistics.
Maybe talking about "reptiles" would have been a better example.

There's nothing wrong with birds being dinosaurs cladistically [1] while still not being dinosaurs linguistically. That's why PoorBoy's joke was a joke.
Not many classes of animal in common language fall into cladistic groups, look at use of "fish" and "antelope" for example.

[1] usually referred to as avian dinosaurs
He really missed the forest for the very tall flowers.

We're doing a discussion about linguistics.
Maybe talking about "reptiles" would have been a better example.

I feel the need to point out, having skimmed the thread, that the equivalence of "dinosaur" and "bird" has been rapidly entering the common lexicon. This is largely in part due to memes, especially with the current popularity of birds as pets, and as we ought to all know by now, regardless on one's feelings on them, memes are probably the most quickly-spreading trendsetters that currently exist.

Albert.Nik

Banned
By that logic,Humans are also said to be descendant from Dimetrodon,a huge Reptile which was beginning to evolve into Mammal.
So are we all Dimetrodons?

JJohnson

Banned
Perhaps Sanskrit, Latin, Irish, Middle English, Yiddish, Old English, Middle High German, Old High German; there are enough texts that people can adapt them to modern life to be useful day-to-day. If folks repeated the process that revived Hebrew, it could happen. Create word lists and loan translations or use loan words with the language's orthography, practice groups, start making little kids' books to teach kids to speak the language, write songs, translate subtitles of TV and movies that you find online. Just some ideas on how you could do this.

Albert.Nik

Banned
Hebrew revival was very unique. The Creation of Israel was one of the biggest events that happened in the Human History till now. Events and processes like that which could happen in the Future should be shifted to the FH instead of being concentrated in the Before 1900s section where they are not relevant.
Coming to those that could have been done. Urartian language revival process could be done with a Greater Armenian Nationalist event had it happened. Yiddish is still spoken among some people. Latin and Sanskrit are not dead but used for religious purposes and special purposes. Latin could be revived as a spoken language as it was already a spoken language then. It could be revived in Italy first. Coming to Classical Sanskrit,it might have not even been a widespread spoken language even among the original Indo-Aryan tribes and the Indo-Iranians. Prakrit was the language used in early Indo-Aryan empires in the by the common man and it has hence found its way into Buddhism(which was then purposed to overthrow the then elite Sanskrit speaking priestly class). Later,Greek,Eastern Iranian languages,Tocharian were spoken by North frontier origin Empires in India and Prakrit was used by empires ruling exclusively the plains and Dravidian by south Indian regions. As the ones in the North frontier became largely extinct with Hunnic and Turkic invasions and the regions subsequently became disconnected with India,those languages were not languages of todays India which otherwise they would be. Various sources confirm that C.Sanskrit was a literary,priestly and special purpose language that it continues to be today. Vedic Sanskrit was different than Classical Sanskrit. If you need to know that,it is extremely identical to Old Persian and Avestan. Vedic Sanskrit gave rise to Prakrits from which Hindi was compiled and this modern languages has extensive Persian and Arabic words admixture. I would like to know about the Mitanni Indo-Aryan language as writing was invented in India late but was early in the Middle East and it might have been documented to give an idea about the early Indo-Aryan languages.

BlondieBC

Banned

I see the qualifier "non-avian dinosaurs" all the time, but I tend to watch nerdy science type stuff.

BlondieBC

Banned
My vote for a revived language is Biblical Greek with a bunch of Hebrew loan words. I grew up Church of Christ, and went to a CoC college. My religious teachers generally spoke both Greek and Hebrew. It is not hard to me to imagine a world where one of the many similar evangelical groups in the 1880s decide only to use the Bible in its original language. Concentrate these people in one area like the Amish and have it a tenant that services are done in Koine Greek. Give it some time and a desire to show purity, and I could see Greek being used in daily life. The question then becomes where to get the all the other words needed. One choice is the loan words from English. Another choice would be to borrow from the other language taught, Hebrew. Yet another choice is either modern Greek or another dialect of Greek.

Languages are quite emotional things. They evoke your response of your community,descent and your your security of the Future to a large extent.
Now,it would be possible in the future to revive extinct ethnicities/people/Volk with Genetic Engineering,Social Engineering,etc which would no longer be a taboo in post scarcity World. And then,languages would come with them.
In some cases,it could be possible without that as well. For example,Celts and Germanic peoples and Tocharians are said to be almost identical. If you teach Tocharian language to a few children in a community in Dublin,Edinburgh or Stockholm,you could consider them as a revived Tocharian race scientifically. Like that,Marsh Arabs are said to be Sumerians,Leventines are said to be from Bronze age peoples,etc.

The biggest problem with that is you'd be completely making up large parts of the phonology, vocabulary, etc for many languages of Antiquity. Linguistic reconstruction will only get you so far. I do agree that in the far future (thousands of years from now at minimum), you'd have such a sheer number of beings (for lack of a better term) which could number in the quintillions. Potentially you'd find large communities of people (maybe even millions of them) interested in such a niche concept like resurrecting old languages and ethnic groups which would probably include living in some ancient history virtual reality. But they'd be dwarfed by people who would rather be, say, Klingons and speak Klingon instead. Overall not really relevant.

Perhaps Sanskrit, Latin, Irish, Middle English, Yiddish, Old English, Middle High German, Old High German; there are enough texts that people can adapt them to modern life to be useful day-to-day. If folks repeated the process that revived Hebrew, it could happen. Create word lists and loan translations or use loan words with the language's orthography, practice groups, start making little kids' books to teach kids to speak the language, write songs, translate subtitles of TV and movies that you find online. Just some ideas on how you could do this.
Irish and Yiddish were never dead languages to begin with. Not to mention, Irish is an official language in Ireland and is taught in Irish schools.

Albert.Nik

Banned
@metalinvader665 I think we can transfer the subsequent discussion to FH where I am planning a timeline on this. But let this be an opening post for this discussion. Many would like to reconstruct History,relive moments,meet historical peoples rebuilt/represented,etc. And when possible in the future,I think it will be done when possible

Sogdian language:Most Tajiks are said to have descended from Sogdians and the language of Sogdia was changed after a Persian invasion(Tajik is Western Iranian language and Sogdian is Eastern).
Babylonian/Sumerian/Elamite/Akkadian/Assyrian,etc: Ba'athists were kind of obsessed with ancient Fertile crescent to the extent that you see them included in the first stanza of the national anthem of Iraq till 2004. If you had let the Ba'athists stay in power,a possible project to revive these language could happen. Only 'could'.
Urartian: A lot of Armenians claim descent from an ancient Caucasian ethnicity called Urartians who established Urartu state in the Armenian highlands. Hurrian,a close language could see light through this as well.
The problem with all of these is that Hebrew was revived because there was no better candidate for a common language for a Jewish nation, whereas the Tajiks, Iraqis, and Armenians already have their own common languages in the form of Tajik, Arabic, and Armenian. A Tajik or Iraqi government dissatisfied with speaking a dialect of Persian or Arabic might give revival a shot, but a revived Sogdian or Akkadian is very unlikely to become the primary language of the country, and it's likely such an initiative would end up failing and being abandoned by the next leader or faction to take power. I don't see a case for Urartian revival at all, as the Armenian nationalists will all want to speak Armenian.
Old/Pre-Sanskrit/Indo-Aryan: A lot of Indians are enthusiastic to have this revived which is claimed to become a link language and solve an identity crisis that runs deep today.
Maybe. I don't imagine it'll help bring in the Dravidians, though.
Yiddish is still spoken among some people.
Making it ineligible for our purposes, because we want languages that went extinct that could be revived. Yiddish, having never gone extinct, cannot be revived.
Latin and Sanskrit are not dead but used for religious purposes and special purposes. Latin could be revived as a spoken language as it was already a spoken language then. It could be revived in Italy first.
The easiest way for Latin to be revived is in the late 19th century, as an international auxiliary language with a pan-European base. Although such a revival might be initially advanced by Italian scholars (as in the case of Latino sine flexione), I don't see any particular reason it should come from there or have its popularity confined to there for long.