Which Country's monarchy is easier to restore/preserve till the present? (Updated Poll)

Which One?

• France under the house of Orléans

Votes: 21 17.8%
  • Portugal under the house of Braganza (Not Orléans-Braganza)

Votes: 60 50.8%
  • Brazil under the house of Orléans-Braganza (Not Braganza)

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Mexico under the house of Iturbide (preferably the kids Maximilian adopted)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Iran under the Pahlavi Dynasty or the Qajar Dynasty

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Any of the pre-WWII Monarchies in the Balkans (Greece, Albania, Bulgaria etc.)

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Afghanistan under the Musahiban Dynasty

• Laos under the Khung Lo Dynasty

• Libya under the Senussi dynasty

• Iraq under the house of Hashim

• Ethiopia under the house of Solomon

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • Italy under the house of Savoy

Votes: 9 7.6%

• Total voters
Yes, this is in Pre-1900, but France had to restore it's monarchy then, if you're using the 'Henri V of Bourbon accepts the throne' POD. (which I'm personally suggesting)

Portugal may have abolished their monarchy in 1910, but the changes needed to prevent this most likely have to occur sometime pre-1900.

Deleted member 114175

France, heart of the revolution and then going through constant 19th century instability -- much more difficult for the Orleans to stay in power than the Braganzas.

Greece and Albania could have remained monarchies if not for some errors on part of people in charge (or in the case of Greece, the monarch). Nepal would probably still be a monarchy if the royal family hadn't been murdered.

Nepal would still definitely be a monarchy by avoiding the revolution, and for monarchical restorations, there is a large monarchist movement in Georgia that seeks to restore the House of Bagratoni, and might actually happen OTL in the near future.

The Brazilian monarchy could have easily survived 1889, but I don’t think it could have survived a 1930 Revolution analogue.

Who knows whether a 1930 revolution would still happen, though. The parliamentary monarchy could be a lot more reformist than OTL dictatorship...

I know the OP was asking specifically about Portugal and France, but weren't there small movements to restore the monarchy in Romania and Bulgaria after the fall of communism?

Who knows whether a 1930 revolution would still happen, though. The parliamentary monarchy could be a lot more reformist than OTL dictatorship...
I doubt it. The 1930 Revolution was all about modernizing the country. The monarchy failed to modernize even to accomodate the comparatively conservative republican movement. It’s hard to modernize a country when the dynasty in charge represents continuity with the colonial past.

Pedro II did oversee great strides in reforming the country however, including slavery's abolition. A more stable country, i.e. one with any actual legitimacy, would be much more capable of reforming gradually. While not particularly liberal, Dona Isabel OTL was at the end of the day more than willing to make reforms when necessary, and it's likely that this would be continued during her reign as Empress. Thus the tensions resulting in the 1930 coup would more likely than not be butterflied away.

The results for Italy's referendum on the monarchy after WW2 were pretty evenly split between republicans and monarchists (54.3% and 45.7%, respectively). The monarchists could have possibly won, and re-established the constitutional monarchy.

I doubt it. The 1930 Revolution was all about modernizing the country. The monarchy failed to modernize even to accomodate the comparatively conservative republican movement. It’s hard to modernize a country when the dynasty in charge represents continuity with the colonial past.

Vargas was quoted saying that the monarchy still was the best form of government for Brazil, and 4 proposals were brought to the senate during the 1946 constitutional convention to restore the monarchy. I don't think that if the 1930 revolution happens in this scenario, it would be republican. Most likely Vargas or his analogue would bring down the parliament and keep the emperor as a figurehead.

Vargas was quoted saying that the monarchy still was the best form of government for Brazil, and 4 proposals were brought to the senate during the 1946 constitutional convention to restore the monarchy. I don't think that if the 1930 revolution happens in this scenario, it would be republican. Most likely Vargas or his analogue would bring down the parliament and keep the emperor as a figurehead.
I’m not sure, the Revolution was all about modernizing Brazil. It’s easy for Vargas to say the monarchy had been okay when he was fighting the First Republic. The revolutionaries would still want a modern Brazil and that entails abolishing archaic institutions that linked the country to the past. However, it’s true that the parliamentary system under the monarchy was more flexible than the presidential republic that succeeded it, and that might allow the revolution to happen within the rule of law. I don’t see it though.

I’m not sure, the Revolution was all about modernizing Brazil. It’s easy for Vargas to say the monarchy had been okay when he was fighting the First Republic. The revolutionaries would still want a modern Brazil and that entails abolishing archaic institutions that linked the country to the past. However, it’s true that the parliamentary system under the monarchy was more flexible than the presidential republic that succeeded it, and that might allow the revolution to happen within the rule of law. I don’t see it though.

Well, that is the problem with alt history, your point is absolutely true.

Yes, this is in Pre-1900, but France had to restore it's monarchy then, if you're using the 'Henri V of Bourbon accepts the throne' POD. (which I'm personally suggesting)

Portugal may have abolished their monarchy in 1910, but the changes needed to prevent this most likely have to occur sometime pre-1900.
Since Henry V and his wife had no issue, his heir presumptive was the Duke of Orleans and the Orleans branch of the Bourbon family. So after the passing of Henry V, t he Orleans family would have. succeeded.

Well if the founding fathers of the french revolution had decided not to give up power they probably could have kept a constitutional monarchy.