Where to post TL?

Discussion in 'Help and Rules' started by MrMonsterGuy18, Nov 6, 2018.

1. MrMonsterGuy18 Well-Known Member

Hello, I’m new here and I’m planning on making a timeline with a PoD that happens before 1900 and I’m not sure if I should put it in Before 1900 or Writers Forum. Which should it be in?

2. SaveAtlacamani Napoleon the Red Donor

I would put it in Before 1900.

Leon Trotsky and MrMonsterGuy18 like this.
  3. MrMonsterGuy18 Well-Known Member

Alright, thank you

4. CalBear Your Ursus arctos californicus Moderator Moderator Donor

It actually depends on the subject and how you are approaching it. Pre/Post 1900 are meant for "hard" AH. Changes to what actually happened that can be cause by possible Points Of Departure (POD) from out actual time Line.

An example of a possible Point of Departure is: FDR becoming completely paralyzed by polio, or at least badly enough that a public life was effectively impossible instead of only partially as actually happened. That would create a potentially very different world that could serve as a different T/L.

An example of bad or unacceptable POD is: FDR is killed by Ebola in 1940.

A POD of the second variety would be a candidate for either the Writer's Forum or ASB. Writer's Forum would also be the proper choice if your main desire is to explore a changed T/L without have to defend changes (there are members here who have extraordinary levels of knowledge on what seems to be nearly any subject who will bring up objections to changes in from our T/L that can not be supported with any argument than "because!"). An example of this would be the aforementioned FDR T/L where Tommy Dorsey is elected President instead (first objection would be he was too young, being only 27 years of age in 1932, and yes, someone WOULD bring it up). If you really WANTED to have a Tommy Dorsey Presidency despite that inconvenient fact Writer's Forum would be the way to go.

King_Arthur and Zagan like this.
  5. fdas Professional Jobber

What is wrong with that POD? Couldn't it be possible that some person happened to travel back from the African jungle and through a series of events somehow gave Ebola to FDR?

6. CalBear Your Ursus arctos californicus Moderator Moderator Donor

Actually, no. The onset of the Virus is such that the infected individual would die, probably before ever reaching a seaport, assuming that infection was even possible. The maximum observed time between exposure and onset is 21 days. The virus is endemic in a region that 1,000 miles from the nearest port and is extremely isolated even today. an infected person is not going to walk out in three weeks. In fact were it not for modern air travel, especially rotary wing travel from the interior, it is possible that the virus would be effectively unknown even today. There is also the reality that they only vector for transmission is the bodily fluids of an infected person. Given that FDR was not a medical professional, a law enforcement officer, nor a mortician the opportunity for exposure is effectively nil.

More importantly, there is, currently, no evidence that the current human lethal strains existed prior to 1960, in fact the first identification of the disease was in 1976. There is a possibility that there were earlier cases, but they were indistinguishable from other hemorrhagic fevers.

These issues being the case, the statement regarding FDR is, IMO, quite correct.

BTW: To the OP - remember what I said about statements being challenged? :D

cpip, Zagan, Kermode and 1 other person like this.
  7. MrMonsterGuy18 Well-Known Member

Alright, well it looks like I'm going to put it in Writers Forum since its not going to be super plausible, but not quite ASB level.