Where to post original stories? (if on this site at all)

Discussion in 'Help and Rules' started by Kalga, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Kalga Yell's Shipyard

Possibly a stupid already answered elsewhere but does AH have a place to post original fiction that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with history (of RL or published fiction)? From what little I gathered from looking at the writer's forum there appears to be some stories of that nature but I just want to make sure first before I potentially do something stupid...

2. Md139115 Bring back the Inquisition!

Secret Catholic World Domination Conference
    I think Writers Forum.

Zagan likes this.
  3. Kalga Yell's Shipyard

Cool, thanks!

4. CalBear Your Ursus arctos californicus Moderator Moderator Donor

Writier's Forum is designed specifically for these sort of work.

Petike and Kalga like this.
  5. Kalga Yell's Shipyard

In my defense for the longest time I thought that writer's forum caters exclusively to the genre of historic fiction. XD

6. Petike Sky Pirate Extraordinaire

Clockpunk Zemplín Kingdom / Franz Josef's Land
    You could also look it up here. People underestimate the wiki, but the vast majority of useful FAQs about the site, or about writing resources, and so on, is concentrated over there.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  7. Kalga Yell's Shipyard

It's almost as if every post I make here just shows more of my ignorance. XD
    I really never paid that much attention to the wiki, even less so when someone mentioned that it hasn't been updated for a while. I should probably change that stance now. Thanks for the advice!

8. Petike Sky Pirate Extraordinaire

Live and learn. :) I still keep discovering old/new stuff all the time. No shame in that ! It's not ignorance, it's just learning the ropes. :p

We were all new here once... I like to think my habit of being a documentarian in a lot of online communities I visit, including this one, is caused by having professional archivist in my own family. :D If you'll have any questions about current or still missing content on our wiki, drop me a post in this discussion thread.

Those sorts of accusations really make me roll my eyes. The wiki was neglected by autumn 2011, but since then, I try to expand it on a regular basis. Much of the current content and navigation features were introduced by me.

I felt a certain degree of satisfaction for all that work when a journalist who interviewed our admin some two years ago also visited our wiki and noted all the fine little details and terminology we have listed there. But back in 2011, that wasn't quite the case, so I'm glad I remedied that this decade. When the wiki started, you had this promising initial period of expansion, but afterward most people on the site only started to bother with in-jokes in the offtopic section and the more worthwhile stuff was largelly neglected or had almost no logical structure beyond the namespaces.

I remember that the general AH namespace's opening page was just a mess of links and half-finished articles back in 2011, most of them barely related to each other. One of my first jobs was migrating all that stuff into more appropriate places and giving the whole article some formatting. Compare how the article looked like seven years ago and how it looks like now. Big changes, and I made sure they'd be for the better - as a sort of "Welcome to AH !" primer for complete AH newbs and AH.com newbs. Given that it worked with that journalist covering our site, and could work like that with anyone unfamiliar with the site and the genre, I'm pleased.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    Kalga likes this.
  9. Kalga Yell's Shipyard

I salute you for your wonderful work!

(I'm not being sarcastic here, since I'm such a sarcastic bastard that I feel that I should put disclaimers when I'm actually not being sarcastic)

Zagan and Petike like this.
  10. Petike Sky Pirate Extraordinaire

Thank you. :cool:

Yeah, I'm not one to brag too much, but even I'll admit I was relieved when the lady doing the interview with Ian took a look at the wiki and found it in a much more serviceable shape than what we had before. Imagine if she had seen the scrappier, jumbled version from earlier... :p Wouldn't be as much of a good impression about the community. I'm just glad I did my part in promoting AH.com positively. Alternate history deserves to be seen as a writer's hobby on par with other long-accepted spec-fic genres, and not just the domain of a few "weird" nerds like us. This is the biggest AH site on the Internet, so having something a little representative in the archives/database, especially for newbies, is a good thing to have. :p :)

On a sidenote, to embolden you a bit at the Writer's Forum, we have a pretty wonderful thread there that discusses ideas for potential stories. While it's not a massive thread, it's been getting regular traffic for nearly a year now. Good thread for inspiration when one has writer's block or just wants to give advice to fellow writers. We're thinking of getting it stickied one day, if it keeps expanding. :) Also, one thing we set up at the very beginning is that all ideas pitched by authors are their's, and can only be used if the original author gives permission.

11. Kalga Yell's Shipyard

Well, I actually ported over my story some days back (see here: https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...inal-isekai-fiction-and-other-stories.455930/ ) when I decided to YOLO and not really wait for a definite answer. But yeah I'll probably head over to that thread when I run out of ideas again (although I'll probably do my usual and switch gears since I usually juggle a couple of projects at the same time just for that reason).

another slight disclaimer: I originally started that story (or stories, it's more of a setting now) by channeling a lot of my rage and that rage no longer represent who I am at this point (it mostly burned out a while back, and now I'm mostly continuing for the gags and to because I have the general idea for the ending and I don't really like loose ends)