Prologue

Where The Spice Flows

Where The Spice Flows
“Whoever controls the Indian Ocean will dominate Asia, the destiny of the world will be decided on its waters.” --------: Alfred Mahan

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Prologue
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
cartography of the city of mogadishu in its prime

Year: 723 (1301 CE)
Dhul Hijja

City of Maqdisha (Mogadishu)

A chill came about as the full moon shone unto the city below, the night flooding the streets and homes with the light no mere fire could outshine.
In one of the buildings in the dead of night, a cry of a woman came about as a man surrounded by several people both family and house servants made his way to the room of his screaming wife.
“Wait Ya Abu Salih, she is almost through, she bleeds heavily but we are almost done’’ the mother-in-law explained
‘’by Allah how can I stay seated in such a moment, my heart beats with a thousand storms in my chest, how am I to calm myself in a time like this’’ said the father
Just then a piercing scream swept across the hall and the audience rushed through the door and entered the room
Inside they saw a mother sighing and the crying of a Newborn, maids hurried out with their clothes and buckets to prepare the mother while the father stepped forward to hold the child
‘’a BOY...Ya Razzaq, Ya Jabbar Alhamdulillah......he has your eyes’’ the father exclaimed to the wife as he carried his child across the room and showed the audience who congratulated him and his wife heavily.
‘’Hurry with the cloth and the water, she grows weak’’
The father rushed to his wife as he saw her eyes flutter and grow weary.
‘’I’m fine, see if the child is alright and bring him close, I want to hold him’’
The crying ball of cloth was returned to his mother who held him with a smile and played with his fingers
‘’...as it is a boy, we shall go with one of the 2 names we’ve already decided on. Yes’’
‘’so be it... his name shall be Abdullahi Sai’id Farrah bin Salim Abdulaziz’’
The shouts of Mabrouk could be heard across the streets servants went to the neighbours to relay the good news

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Year: 734 (1311 CE)
Rabbi al Awwal
Mogadishu

It was truly a dark time to live in such an era yet also one of great opportunity, the land and sea once rocked by the iron hooves of the Mongols had slowly settled as the steppe lords languished in their castles and silk robes while their bows decayed. In the north the slave mamelukes overthrew their Ayyubid overlords and established a state that was seen at one point as the last bastion of Islamic resistance against the hordes of Chinggis, they established their ferocity in the Great battle of Ain Jalut and beat back the steppe tide.
A deadly cloud rests upon the horizon of the east as traders unknowingly bring among them a stowaway, a disease that would slowly devour much of the known world in unforgiving sickness and decay.
Now the Bahri dynasty sits upon the throne in Masr (Egypt) and they protect the two holy cities of Makkah and Medina but all the way south in Al Yaman (Yemen) the Rasulids rule independently of the mameluke state in Egypt, they trade gifts with the mameluke sultan to keep the peace won from the many battles in the east as the great route through Iraq was destroyed in the encompassing Mongol wars, the fall of Baghdad still weighs heavy among the Ummah and the whole of Dar al Islam.
The child Sai’id had yet to reach his 10th birthday, sat on the back of a small horse and rode around the neighbourhood
He had grown a lot since his last Visit to the city of his birthplace
His mother was an Omani-Tamil hailing from Hadramout, there are some claims that parts of her family can trace their lineage back to the Habbari dynasty in greater Sindh however those claims are yet to be proven by the scholars in Hejaz, her family had previously been from Sohar and had influence among the Frankincense merchants and many of the trade routes through the Hurmuz, Iraq, Damascus and Persia.
His Father was born in Berbera to a family of Yemeni-Somali Sailors, making enough for him to earn a good education he then travelled across the Arabian sea making enough coin to build himself boats to travel across the Gulf of Aden and making many trips to the Persian Gulf to sell Frankincense and myrrh. There he met a well-off family that had ties to inland trade routes and he had one of his friends introduce him to a daughter of the clan, he later met with her father and after several agreements, he paid the mahr (dowry) and moved with his wife and several of her relatives to Hadramout where some of his own family lived.
The wedding took place and in a couple of months, they moved again to the city of Mogadishu where his wife later gave birth to his first-Born son.
Sai’id had grown up on the back of a camel and on the front of a boat, he had travelled with his father and mother a lot.
At the age of 4, he had learned to ride camels without falling off and by 6 he was riding horses across the hinterlands of the northern coastal cities, at the age of 8 he had made his first trip overseas with his father's earliest boats.
Beden-sahara

The Beden Safar was used by many sailors in the gulf of Aden for trade, its Arabic counterpart may have a different traditional style of sewing but it is usually the same name as it's been used for over a thousand years, the young sai’id sailed across the red sea and all the way to the Sinai where he sold different cloths and silks to the merchants in the port known as El Tor, a port build just over a couple of decades ago.
The young Sai’id had gotten a prize from his adventures in Mas’r (Egypt) as he had managed to barter a local date farmer into selling him a rusty sword with a broken hilt, sai’id found the sword incredibly interesting and after returning to his father he showed him the goods.
His father checked the inventory and then looked over the sword, it seemed decayed and he gave it back to him advising him to beware of bad purchases, especially with strangers who wish to take advantage of him.
Sai'id took the advice seriously but still felt glad that he could keep the broken item, he washed it dried it and wrapped it up along with the rest other trade and saddled the camels to prepare for the ride to the port, he made a mental note that once he reaches al Yaman, he would give this to his uncle and ask if he could hire a blacksmith to fix the item.

Last edited:
For those of you reading this
This is my first TL and hope to continue this for as long as possible
If like to give special thanks to Ursogulos for giving me the motivation and inspiration to write this
It's pretty much raw at this point and I'm still trying to learn how to piece it together but regardless I hope you enjoy it 👍
Inshallah hopefully I can keep positing more

Brilliant start! Wishing for this TL to go great lengths, biopic TLs are a rare gem in this site.

What are Frankincense? A general term for christian European? ( me thinks Venetian)

I wonder what that strange sword entails, probably a relic that will feed his curiosity and spur him on making a new trip somewhere.

Brilliant start! Wishing for this TL to go great lengths, biopic TLs are a rare gem in this site.

What are Frankincense? A general term for christian European? ( me thinks Venetian)

I wonder what that strange sword entails, probably a relic that will feed his curiosity and spur him on making a new trip somewhere.

Frankincense is a type of resin that is produced by Boswellia trees, which are native to Somalia and other countries in the Horn of Africa region. Frankincense has been used for centuries in traditional medicine and religious ceremonies, and it is known for its unique aroma and medicinal properties. In Somalia, the production and trade of frankincense has long been an important economic activity, and it continues to be a significant export for the country. Frankincense is harvested from the trees by making incisions in the bark, which allows the resin to seep out and harden into small, tear-shaped beads. The beads are then collected and used to make various products, including essential oils and incense.

It's even been bought in bulk by the pope directly from there
The trees are old so they are also at times used as inheritance for those who own land
I plan to get Deep into the Mercantlists and trading history of the region in this tl

Attachments

• download (6).jpeg
    download (6).jpeg
    52.4 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Frankincense is a type of resin that is produced by Boswellia trees, which are native to Somalia and other countries in the Horn of Africa region. Frankincense has been used for centuries in traditional medicine and religious ceremonies, and it is known for its unique aroma and medicinal properties. In Somalia, the production and trade of frankincense has long been an important economic activity, and it continues to be a significant export for the country. Frankincense is harvested from the trees by making incisions in the bark, which allows the resin to seep out and harden into small, tear-shaped beads. The beads are then collected and used to make various products, including essential oils and incense.

It's even been bought in bulk by the pope directly from there
The trees are old so they are also at times used as inheritance for those who own land
I plan to get Deep into the Mercantlists and trading history of the region in this tl
My bad😆😆, where is raisin and where is Venice!

My bad😆😆, where is raisin and where is Venice!

El Tor is a region on the Sinai peninsula
So far the Father and son are merely trading goods via maritime.
I hope to get into more inland trade through his later adventures when his grown up and more capable of handling the pressures and politics of the land
Land trade can be very lucrative sometimes but your always under threat of Embargoes, taxes, tarrifs and high robbery, war and Exonomic breakdown that affects the trade routes.ie. Chinese Civil wars always destroy the silk road economy.
(Especially with the recent mongol wars and the black death killing of much of the silk road ,something I plan to take advantage of in this TL)

Maritime is safer sometimes depending on what regions you vsist
Most of the disadvantages are usually weather or the goods sold at certain periods of time during the year
Both can be fixed with proper planning and experience which is what i want him to go through in his growing years.

Also I'm sure you noticed the treasure he bought from the Date Farmer
It's something I want to use to emphasize his later exploratory character and love for Lost Treasure
Also can you guess what kind of sword It is?
The clue is where he got it from

Attachments

• Egypt_adm_location_map.svg.png
    Egypt_adm_location_map.svg.png
    65.5 KB · Views: 134
Most of the disadvantages are usually weather or the goods sold at certain periods of time during the year
Both can be fixed with proper planning and experience which is what i want him to go through in his growing years.
To me this feels like a reedemable problem. Other problems are such that not even kings can control.

Also can you guess what kind of sword It is?
The clue is where he got it from
I'm not an expert on types of swords but perhaps it is from Rashidun or Umayyad period?

Close
You got the Egyptian part right tho
It's actually a Kopesh
Which us probably one of my faviroute ancient weapons up their with the Gladius, Katars, Composite bow and the Sling shot (Multiple reasons for these choices, ranging from their capability in combat to how easy they are to use)

In the writing it's kinda old and the hilt is a little broken so he's not really going to use it for battle, so I went with your idea of the Exploratory inspiration

Also I'm not sure if you noticed but my reply about the Frankincense, accidently got misplaced into my thread mark
And also somehow put my TL into a quotation Bar
🤣 😄😂
I really don't know how to use this website

Attachments

• 1642316822_5.jpg
    1642316822_5.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
I find the way this TL is presented interesting. Not too many TLs here focus on individual characters.

It looks like this Somalia is a trade hub?

I find the way this TL is presented interesting. Not too many TLs here focus on individual characters.

It looks like this Somalia is a trade hub?
Thanks
I realised first person TL's were quite rare but much of my Inspiration did come from The Wings of Zilant Author

And yes i do plan on going deep into the Somali Trade Lore
Expect Alot of Adventures, Travel Logs, Technology Sharing and much more
Inshallah

I did see a replica bronze khopesh yesterday. It really looks like a sickle and is waay shorter than I expected. A medieval longsword is around 100 cm, this is what I'm used to. A Roman gladius is around 75 cm total according to google. This looks even shorter.

I did see a replica bronze khopesh yesterday. It really looks like a sickle and is waay shorter than I expected. A medieval longsword is around 100 cm, this is what I'm used to. A Roman gladius is around 75 cm total according to google. This looks even shorter.
True
I'll see what I can add about this in the next update

Chapter 1
Chapter One
الفصل الأول

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Year: 736 (1313 CE)

The father and son duo continued to travel across the Arabian sea, selling a variety of goods ranging from silks, fruits, spices, and Frankincense. In the city of Jeddah, they sold a large quantity of black pepper and cinnamon to the local merchants for a good price of 30 dinars per pound. They also managed to sell their silk fabrics to a wealthy merchant from India for 50 dinars per piece. As they made their way to the port of Muscat, they encountered a group of Arab nomads who were interested in their Frankincense. The father and son managed to sell them a large quantity of Frankincense for 20 dinars per pound, which they used for religious purposes and trading with the Persians. Their next stop was the city of Hormuz, where they sold their spices to the local traders who used them for their perfumes and medicines. The father and son also sold a large quantity of Frankincense to the traders for 25 dinars per pound. As they reached the port of Aden, they were greeted by their relatives who welcomed them with open arms. The father and son were overjoyed to meet their family after a long journey at sea. They then proceeded to sell their goods in the market, where they managed to get a good price for their silks, spices, and Frankincense. The Rasulid dynasty had recently come to power in Yemen the Local imams had met with the Ulema in the Capital city and thus have been tasks of rooting out the Zaidi Shia Insurgency deep in the mountains however Abdullahi's Family had been living in the coasts for centuries so war wasn't deeply troubling and the father and son were able to trade with the local merchants who were interested in their products. The father managed to sell a large quantity of Frankincense to the merchants for 30 dinars per pound, while the son sold his silks for 50 dinars per piece, along with that they had in their inventory 2 sacks of myrrh, 5 ivory tusks brought from the vendors in Yarim and half a bag of cinnamon and 12 ounces of nutmeg from the Suuq* in Saylac* [Re-Write this entire story word for word but replace the units of measurements with medieval Islamic Arabian and persian measurements.

I'd be happy to help! Here is the story rewritten with medieval Islamic Arabian and Persian measurements:

The father and son duo continued to travel across the Arabian Sea, selling a variety of goods ranging from silks, fruits, spices, and Frankincense. In the city of Jeddah, they sold a large quantity of black pepper and cinnamon to the local merchants for a good price of 30 mithqals per ratl. They also managed to sell their silk fabrics to a wealthy merchant from India for 50 mithqals per piece.

As they made their way to the port of Muscat, they encountered a group of Arab nomads who were interested in their Frankincense. The father and son managed to sell them a large quantity of Frankincense for 20 dirhams per ratl, which they used for religious purposes and trading with the Persians.

Their next stop was the city of Hormuz, where they sold their spices to the local traders who used them for their perfumes and medicines. The father and son also sold a large quantity of Frankincense to the traders for 25 dirhams per ratl.

As they reached the port of Aden, they were greeted by their relatives who welcomed them with open arms. The father and son were overjoyed to meet their family after a long journey at sea. They then proceeded to sell their goods in the market, where they managed to get a good price for their silks, spices, and Frankincense.

The Rasulid dynasty had recently come to power in Yemen, and the local imams had met with the Ulema in the capital city. They had been tasked with rooting out the Zaidi Shia Insurgency deep in the mountains, however, Abdullahi's family had been living in the coasts for centuries, so war wasn't deeply troubling, and the father and son were able to trade with the local merchants who were interested in their products. The father managed to sell a large quantity of Frankincense to the merchants for 30 dirhams per ratl, while the son sold his silks for 50 mithqals per piece. Along with that, they had in their inventory 2 sacks of myrrh, 5 ivory tusks brought from the vendors in Yarim, and half a bag of cinnamon and 12 ounces of nutmeg from the Suuq* in Saylac*

1676765235762.png

The trade routes had been affected by the fall of Baghdad, but the father and son were able to adapt to the changing times and make a living for themselves. They used their knowledge of the local languages and customs to sell their products to the different regions they visited.
The lingua franca of Af Arabic made business easy but sometimes they're would always be competition.
Certain markets would be closed on different periods and rival traders would buy up stock faster if they have a better schedule.
The father and son were each making sure to make as much from each region as they could.

As they prepared to leave Aden, the son remembered the broken sword that he had purchased in Masr. He took it to his uncle, who hired a blacksmith to fix it. The son was delighted to see the sword restored to its former glory.
The Long sleek design coupled with the intense dark sheen it portrayed when it gleamed, Sa'aid was mesmerized by the Beauty of the blade and his hunger for travel was Beginning to get the best of him, but he controlled himself as he had duties to attend to and returned to his father to prepare for next day.

The father and son bid farewell to their relatives and set sail once again, their goods sold and their pockets full. They knew that there were many more ports to visit and more products to sell, but for now, they were content with the success of their journey.

Sa'aid
Sa'aid's Father

One year had passed and Sa'aid was now 14 years old. He had become quite skilled in riding horses and sword arts, much to the pride of his father. His father had been meeting with several influential Sheikhs in the city of Al wedjh* who were interested in tutoring Sa'aid, they had some influence with the local governor of the region so Abdullahi was more than happy to let them turtor his son...…For a fine of course.
These sheikhs were known for their expertise in fighting and the art of horse riding as they had ties to the Organizations working in Anatolia and the Turkoman Lands converting and prosletyzing to many Non-Muslims in Dar Al Harb, they belonged to certain Sufi orders who were quite militant due to the recent era of Crusades plaguing the people of Al Sham.

Sa'aid's father saw this as an opportunity to give his son the best education possible. He believed that these sheikhs could help his son learn how to fight and ride horses, but he didnt want his child fighting in silly wars, no he wanted his son to become a scholar and return to his side to take over the family business when he retires. In addition to these skills, Sa'aid also learned about the politics of the Mameluke dynasty and other medieval Middle Eastern politics, he learnt about the Prophet and the great yet tough life he lived.
All the Great Khilafah who ruled Dar Al Islam from Abu Bakr to Ali, and even modern history such as the great battles of Manzikert and Hittin, the sublime Defender of the Faith himself, Al Malik An Nasir Salah Al Din*.
His tutors had taught him of the great periods of glory and of the darkest periods, Sa'aid learnt of the great fitnah, the fall of the Kilafah, the rise of the Christians in the west, the Great Jihad in Bayt Al Muqadas and most importantly the world ending cruelty of the Mongols.
He was overjoyed yet so conflicted by such great knowledge he was learning, it filled his heart so much pain hearing of the fall of Baghdad, Sa'aid swore to himself to one day either avenge this great sin against the heartland of Islam or he would revive the great Islamic golden age one day.
His Tutors told him not to focus to much on it and didn't take the child's promise to seriously.

One day, Sa'aid's mother became pregnant with her second child. The news brought joy to the family, and Sa'aid's father took her to the city of Mogadishu in the Waberi* Region for the pregnancy. There, he was surrounded by relatives from both his side and the mother's side, who offered their support and prayers.

As the pregnancy progressed, Sa'aid's father made sure that his wife received the best care possible. He would often take her to see the local midwife, who was known for her expertise in handling difficult pregnancies. Finally, on the 20th of Ramadan in the year 736 (1313 CE), the baby boy was born.

Sa'aid's father was overjoyed at the birth of his son and named him Ali, after the fourth caliph of Islam. He was grateful to Allah for blessing him with another child and promised to provide for both his son and daughter. Meanwhile, Sa'aid continued to stay in the city of Qahira, where he had been living for the past two years.

He had been working under the mosque caretaker, who had taken a liking to Sa'aid and had been teaching him many things. Sa'aid had learned how to care for cats and had become quite good at it. He had also been attending the madrasah, where the imam had been educating him about Islam and the Arabic language.

In his free time, Sa'aid would often explore the city, visiting the various markets and meeting different people. He would also write in his journal, which he had been keeping since he was a child. His writing was fluid and simple, and he enjoyed expressing his thoughts and feelings on paper.

Overall, Sa'aid was grateful for the opportunity to learn and grow, both intellectually and spiritually. He knew that his experiences in Al Qahirah would shape his future and make him a better person

Al Majalat Al'Uwlaa Journal

Sajal #1:

My name is Sa'aid and I'm a young boy living in Cairo, Today was my first day Writing my Al Majalat Al'Uwlaa, and I'm so excited to learn Arabic! I have always been fascinated by the language and culture of my people, and I cannot wait to explore it more deeply.

Today, I visited several places in Qahirah with my teacher, including the bustling markets and the great mosque. The sights and sounds were overwhelming, but I loved every minute of it. I met many different people along the way, from merchants to scholars, and I was amazed by their knowledge and wisdom.
I have wished to join the expeditions to the pyramids for a couple months now but I will have to e patient until my Studies are put on break in the coming weeks.

As I continue my studies many goals and ambitions are slowly opening up to me such as I hope to one day rule the waves and create a homeland in the sea for my people. I believe that we can spread our culture and religion to the world while still living in harmony with others. It is a lofty dream, but I am determined to make it a reality.

Sajal #3:

Today, I met a sub-Saharan slave named Idris while walking in the market. He was working for a merchant and seemed very unhappy. I asked him how he was doing and he told me about his difficult life as a slave. I was heartbroken by his story and I knew I had to help him, i snuck some extra food for him late at night and during the day when his teacher was gone we would play with the cat and throw stones as far as we could.
it was quite enjoyable.

I also met a turk house servant named Mahmet, who was working for a wealthy family in Cairo. We struck up a conversation and he told me about his life in Rum, his journey across iraq and Sham and how he ended up in Masr. We quickly became friends, and I knew that I had to introduce him to Idris

Sajal #7:

I invited both Idris and Mahmet to my home to talk about their lives and experiences. They were hesitant at first, but soon warmed up to each other. I was thrilled to see them bonding and getting along so well.

As we sat and talked, I could see the similarities between all of us, despite our different backgrounds. We were all human beings with hopes and dreams, and we all wanted to be free and happy.

I hope that our friendship can serve as an example to others, that despite our differences, we can all come together and build a better world. And, as I continue my studies, I will use my knowledge to spread this message of unity and love to all who will Listen.

It is my wish to learn and move.
Idris
Mahmet

glossary
Suuq: Marketplace/market
waberi: district in the city of Mogadishu
wedjh: city near medinah on the red sea coast in arabia
saylac: pronounced, Sayleah, or zeila.
spelt with an ayn or arrh in arabic.

sorry about the late update, i had some family issues to deal with but I'm back and have some free time
also lost my work this morning so i had to start from scratch so sorry about the spelling mistakes, more coming during the week

Last edited:
Ali and Mahmet
Mahmet and Idris. Also I think Turks until Kemalist language reformation pronounced Muhammad instead of OTL mehmed.

Love the AI art you joined, brilliant. Which site though, nightcafe or OpenAI? That reminds me you should check my latest update, there is an Ai art. Let's if you can find it😃

Also Cairo should be Al Qahira unless you plan on western colonization in Masr but anyway it’s ok.

Also I'm intrigued by the different price of Frankincense in different markets according to weight. Where did you get this information from? Also is there any Arabic or persian weight measurement units(or even chinese) you can use as I doubt there will be pound as we know it today. Also if western colonization doesn’t happen in OTL scale then no such thing will be adopted. But I understand in your strife for simplicity and the understanding of readers.

Overall good update so far and hoping to see more of Sa'aid's journey as he goes to east. Also I'm waiting for his meeting with Ibn Battuta.

Last edited:
Mahmet and Idris. Also I think Turks until Kemalist language reformation pronounced Muhammad instead of OTL mehmed.
Yh I was a little stressed about the name but decided not to make it too complicated, I can always change it later.
Love the AI art you joined, brilliant. Which site though, nightcafe or OpenAI? That reminds me you should check my latest update, there is an Ai art. Let's if you can find it😃
Nightcafe 👍 👌
I love their portrait renditions the most since it looks so fluid, most other Ai Art generators get a little blurry, but overall it's such a breath of fresh air being able to make a story with easy to make high quality visuals for free.
Also I think you made one for the south Asian prince who was captured by the Omani delegates and another one depicting a siege of a fortress or a battle.
I could be mistaken but either way it was a great use of scene painting, these pictures really help stories these days better grab attention.
The old saying of "a picture is worth a thousand words: is definitely true in the writing business.
Also Cairo should be Al Qahira unless you plan on western colonization in Masr but anyway it’s ok.
Have to get used to using medieval and Arabic pronunciations, I keep slipping up sometimes

Also I'm intrigued by the different price of Frankincense in different markets according to weight. Where did you get this information from? Also is there any Arabic or persian weight measurement units(or even chinese) you can use as I doubt there will be pound as we know it today. Also if western colonization doesn’t happen in OTL scale then no such thing will be adopted. But I understand in your strife for simplicity and the understanding of readers.
Overall I didn't really want to steep to into westernization, I though about it a while and decided Western Colonization wouldn't be a major thing in the islamic regions.
Also for the Arabic, persian and Chinese units of measurement along with goods sold in the region, I had to literally study texts on islamic influence on Indian Ocean trade, islamic economy and capital and the several units of measurements used by different regions in this trade.
It was kind of hectic but nothing to difficult since I kept it light, I really do want to create a late medieval age Global corporation tbh.

Overall good update so far and hoping to see more of Sa'aid's journey as he goes to east. Also I'm waiting for his meeting with Ibn Battuta.
Soon....if you see the timeline of Battuta's travels you'll notice he visits the city soon.
I was conflicted about making sa'aid meet battua early only because historically they met in India and by then sa'aid was already pretty old.

But with this tl I figured I might be able to build character while also having him learn from battuta's Adventures after he returned from his studies abroad.

Regardless the last and biggest part of this update was the "JOURNALS"

I want to make these logs a major part of his character development and overall show in real time as he goes from a boy to a man to an aged veteran in his industry all while still following his passions.

It helps me paint an image of the Characters aspects without having to switch into dialog to often.

Nightcafe 👍 👌
I love their portrait renditions the most since it looks so fluid, most other Ai Art generators get a little blurry, but overall it's such a breath of fresh air being able to make a story with easy to make high quality visuals for free.
Me too!
Also for the Arabic, persian and Chinese units of measurement along with goods sold in the region, I had to literally study texts on islamic influence on Indian Ocean trade, islamic economy and capital and the several units of measurements used by different regions in this trade.
It was kind of hectic but nothing to difficult
I understand, instead of flooding the readers with different units you decided to keep things simple. Also you could just go out and create a unit of your own which will be kind of a spoiler for modern day but yeah, you are not gonna continue this into 17th century.
Also I think you made one for the south Asian prince who was captured by the Omani delegates
Yep, that's the one.