Where on the island of Borneo was the concession for the American trading company of Borneo?

Discussion in 'Help and Rules' started by raharris1973, Oct 16, 2018.

1. raharris1973 Gone Fishin'

Where exactly on the island of Borneo was the territorial concession held by a he American consul for 10 years, 1865-1875 which was then sold to The Austrian or German businessman Overbeck, who had it another ten years before the British got it?

Was this area basically synonymous with present day Malaysian state of Sabah? Or was it someplace else?

2. Enigmajones Ours Is The Fury

It was in North Borneo if I remember correctly, hope that helps.

raharris1973 likes this.
  3. raharris1973 Gone Fishin'

Thanks! So that means at least not the Dutch part.

4. Jared Voldemort Jnr

I haven't found anything which specifies the exact borders, but I've seen it described here as a small territory on the western coast of northern Borneo. It was part of what became the Malaysian state of Sabah, but it was definitely much smaller; the territory which the British eventually acquired included various other cessions, including one from Sulu which is still claimed by the Philippines today.

raharris1973 likes this.
  5. Pkmatrix Godzilla Fanboy Monthly Donor

According to THIS article, it was based along the Kimanis River with its capital in Kimanis. So maybe modern Kota Kinabalu?

(Also, apparently the colony was called "Ellena".)

6. Luminous Headwing Consulting

@raharris1973 @Pkmatrix @Enigmajones @Jared

I have the exact borders; the original map is in the National Archives, and it is reproduced in the book The United States Consul and the Yankee Raja by H.G. Keith, via the Brunei Museum, which is pretty much the largest remaining source on the colonization of the region.

Ellena, the capital, was held on the river Kimanis, and lasted only about 9 months in total. The Rajah, Joseph William Torrey, eventually left and returned to Hong Kong, and never had his title stripped from him, and he used the title of Rajah of Ambong & Maroodoo until his dying day. Charles Lee Moses, the US Consul, died a few years later while at sea (the boat sunk) after a various torpid series of events (including burning down his own Consulate in order to try and start an incident between himself and the Sultan of Brunei).

Moses was very disagreeable and pigheaded, and he butted heads against Torrey, against the Sultan, etc.

Here is the map on M-BAM scale (the original was shrunk a ton to fit in the book, and I don't want to risk damaging the book on a scanner): areas in yellow are leased directly by Sultan Abdul Mumin of Brunei. The mainland territories were on a $4000 lease, while the island of Banguey was on a separate lease for $1000. Pengiran Temanggong of Sulu leased the territories in pink, including the islands of Balabac & Palawan for the sum of $4000. All leases are yearly.

Note that in the Jawi version of the lease, there is no indication of Palawan being leased.

[​IMG]

I had to revise the map myself, as I realized I had made an error previously, so that fixes most everything.

Note that the only settlement took place on the Kimanis river (and was abandoned in less than a year), while the titular Ambong & Maroodoo never received more than a cursory glance.

Jared and Pkmatrix like this.
  7. Herr Frage Jesus Christ Is In Heaven

Behind a black gate and to the left of a grove
    Al-numbers, who writes a Sarawak timeline, addressed this event in his TL. So I expect they could provide you with some info on the subject OTL.