Where did the traditional AH.com country colours come from?

Sometimes it is German Grey, but yes true for most of the time.
Works, so long as Prussian and French territorial possessions don't border each other ;)

This is an interesting topic for me, as I swear I'll get started on some mapping *someday* :p
But I grew up with old globes, and things like the Shepherd's Historical Atlas.... of course, the UK and possessions are always pink/"light red", France and possessions are always blue (generally a different shade than the seas)... but as for other nations, there's less standardization...

I remember reading somewhere that green was the standard colour for the USSR/Russia back in Soviet days... also seems like I've seen yellow used (for whatever reason) for the German Empire and possessions on pre-WWI maps...
I'd like to study this in more detail, and come up with a five-colour or six-colour scheme, similar to what I'm accustomed to seeing on old globes and in historical atlases...

Where the subsaharan African colore come from?

Can't help you on Ethiopia- that's been around for yoinks.

The rest I'm pretty sure is either the now long-banned Wolfram, LSCatilina or myself just going 'right need another colour in West Africa, can't be blue because of France, sure orange will do nicely.'

Fun fact: it took more than a few years to come around to the idea that Prussia shouldn't just use German grey, pre-1866.
I mean, I can see why it would be left grey. As the predecessor state to "Germany as we know it" or "Prussian-led Germany" the two have a similar vibe in the popular consciousness and are unlikely to exist separately, and most other (Austrian or "other") Germanies have their own color in color schemes.

I feel like the Prussian Blue is kind of affected by Paradox games and the idea that Germany is a single concept "formable" by anyone, but also by a sort of better understanding of the historical reality that no matter how influential Prussia may be in Germany, Germany as a united state will function very differently from Prussia.

Isn't Prussia yellow in Vicky 2?
I meant more the concept of Germany being a different color from any one German state because it's a separate entity that any one of them can form.

TBH not the best thought through point on my part though bc I'm tired

I'm absolutely certain that Belgium being purple is just because originally that was used for 'minor states' instead of 'unorganised areas' (with the latter being white) and then it inherited it.
I always thought it was inherited from Habsburg/Austria's purple.

A little obvious but add the Roman Empire having red colour because of their red standards(that we often see used as flags) and purple for the byzantines & carthaginians due to their association with purple clothing and wealth