Where could a Superpower Germany and countries like China or India butt heads

Say Germany ends up as a Superpower as a result of an alt 20th century due to a Central Power Victory. Where could Germany butt heads with a rising China or India by Modern times .

Would major trade routes be areas of competition

Where could the main theater of conflict be .

Last edited:
Much like Britain had a 99 year lease on Hong Kong, Germany also had 99 lease for a colony naval base on Kiautschou Bay in China this would have expired in 1997. This would be the most likely point of conflict between a rising China and an Imperial German Superpower which wished to renew the lease as a continued base against an Asian Russia fleet in Vladivostok and a country wanting to have its former territory returned.

Much like Britain had a 99 year lease on Hong Kong, Germany also had 99 lease for a colony naval base on Kiautschou Bay in China this would have expired in 1997. This would be the most likely point of conflict between a rising China and an Imperial German Superpower which wished to renew the lease as a continued base against an Asian Russia fleet in Vladivostok and a country wanting to have its former territory returned.
It depends what happened with the Entente powers as well. Were the Entente powers forced to return their concessions in China? Were any of them transferred to Germany? IOTL, when Shandong was transferred from Germany to Japan instead of being returned to China as previously promised, the betrayal arguably gave birth to modern Chinese nationalism. If say the French concession in Shanghai was transferred to Germany instead of returned to China, that would have also sparked a backlash.

Germany was also granted a sphere of influence over Shandong and its significant coal deposits. A united and rising China will seek a return of these territories.

OTOH, the KMT government sought German assistance to rebuild China's army and industries, and was getting very close to accomplishing its goals before the Japanese invasion. Will TTL's Chinese government also act similarly?

If Germany would be a superpower it would dominate the whole European continent and also force Great Britain to be an ally through economical means. Germany would use locations like Singapore, Cyprus and Hong Kong as possible bases to control trade around the world. At minimum it needs to secure oil from Middle East, but in East Asia it probably wouldn't be that big a player. It would be two oceans away.

Deleted member 94680

the KMT government sought German assistance to rebuild China's army and industries, and was getting very close to accomplishing its goals before the Japanese invasion. Will TTL's Chinese government also act similarly?

I was wondering about this. OTL Germany had better relations with China than the other Great Powers, probably due to not having the long running exploitation of China that say the French or British did. Imperial Germany had relatively good relations with China, so the chance for improved relations with China (as a balance to pro-British Japan, maybe?) are definitely there.

Depends if Willy buggers it all up, of course.

I was wondering about this. OTL Germany had better relations with China than the other Great Powers, probably due to not having the long running exploitation of China that say the French or British did. Imperial Germany had relatively good relations with China, so the chance for improved relations with China (as a balance to pro-British Japan, maybe?) are definitely there.

NAH BUTTERFLIES mean germany might not care or now would want a disunited china, divided et imperia

The reason for the good relations between Weimar Germany and the KMT was that Germany no longer had concessions in China. Before WW1, Sino-German relations really were not the best.

Deleted member 94680

NAH BUTTERFLIES mean germany might not care or now would want a disunited china, divided et imperia

OBVIOUSLY BUTTERFLIES. But I wrote “Imperial Germany” for a reason. They had a mission (both trade and military) with the Imperial Chinese government and the OTL anti-entente leanings of Germany gave them an “in” with the Chinese in the Weimar period. This ATL Germany will still be opposed to the Entente nations (barring BUTTERFLIES that rearrange the post-war diplomatic landscape) so they would be well placed to expand on what they had pre-War.

The reason for the good relations between Weimar Germany and the KMT was that Germany no longer had concessions in China. Before WW1, Sino-German relations really were not the best.
Better than Sino-British or Sino-French relations. Under Bismarck, German relations with China were on the road to becoming well formed. Obviously, things took a dip under Wilhelm when he was unrestrained, but there’s a good chance the Chinese market is an area victorious Germany would look to expand into. The easiest way to help that along would be to play up the good relations of the 1880s and 90s. OTL, a large German loan was floated in 1912 (to the republican government) and Yuan Shikai seemed quite well disposed to German assistance. Maybe ITTL the Germans decide to prop up the Hongxian Emperor as a way to secure influence in China?

OBVIOUSLY BUTTERFLIES. But I wrote “Imperial Germany” for a reason. They had a mission (both trade and military) with the Imperial Chinese government and the OTL anti-entente leanings of Germany gave them an “in” with the Chinese in the Weimar period. This ATL Germany will still be opposed to the Entente nations (barring BUTTERFLIES that rearrange the post-war diplomatic landscape) so they would be well placed to expand on what they had pre-War.
I think that target might change, as i can see germany pushing the indo-german conspiracy and here working, so they would abandon china for india

. Maybe ITTL the Germans decide to prop up the Hongxian Emperor as a way to secure influence in China?
Possible.

Deleted member 94680

I think that target might change, as i can see germany pushing the indo-german conspiracy and here working, so they would abandon china for India
Possibly, but I don’t think it’s very likely. The indo-German conspiracy was very much a “war measure” and would a Germany that wins the War want to stir up that much trouble in a post war world?

Possibly, but I don’t think it’s very likely. The indo-German conspiracy was very much a “war measure” and would a Germany that wins the War want to stir up that much trouble in a post war world?
Once that Genie is out of the bottle is hard put it back, plus once britain loss india, their great power status will be weakened massively, would worth pushing during and post war

Deleted member 94680

Once that Genie is out of the bottle is hard put it back, plus once britain loss india, their great power status will be weakened massively, would worth pushing during and post war
But does a Superpower Germany want an enemy out of a defeated Great Power Britain or to stabilise the international situation with them at the top?

All depends on how they win the alt-WWI I suppose

But does a Superpower Germany want an enemy out of a defeated Great Power Britain or to stabilise the international situation with them at the top?

All depends on how they win the alt-WWI I suppose
Yeah depends but i think germany at large will bore little love to GB at all...so they would antagonize with it regardless