"Where Are We Going This Time": The Golden Age of Science Fiction

What should happen with the season summary updates?

• Continue as is (might delay other updates)

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Release them later, as supplementary material

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Cut out the OTL bits, only say what you've changed (might only be a temporary solution)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stop them completely

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dax would be revealed to be pansexual, with gender not playing a role in whether she is attracted to someone. [6]
That makes sense given that the symbiote has been with both male and female hosts, which would make the Trill's attitudes towards sexuality interesting.

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
That makes sense given that the symbiote has been with both male and female hosts, which would make the Trill's attitudes towards sexuality interesting.
That's my interpretation, and therefore "grey canon" ITTL (Because that's how I see it, that's how I'll write it). Because of their relationship with the symbionts, gender is a less clear cut thing for the Trill, because having hosts of all genders would be expected (given that they are supposed to have a huge range of experiences, hence the taboo on "rejoining"). As a result, the joined members of the species, who are held in high regard, could sort of be seen as being pansexual by default. After all, during "Rejoined", nobody had any issue with the fact that Dax and Kahn were both women, in fact I don't think it was even brought up beyond how that made it different to when they had last met. I would imagine that this has had the effect that the Trill don't see gender as an important distinguishing factor in much of anything, the closest thing to that that they have is whether you are joined. The Trill are a personal favourite of mine, so we'll see a good amount of them. Also, the other reason I made Jadzia canonically pansexual is that Terry Farrell (who, in all fairness, doesn't play Dax ITTL, but still) believes that Dax is pansexual.

Nice chapter there @Timelordtoe - thank you for a new Klingon character, and getting some of the not seen much Federation species in.

Now if you can get a live-action Aurelian/Skorr in then I will be a fan of this DS9 for life! Well I'd have probably loved it anyway, but...

Thank you for pointing my date blunder out. I've been really clumsy with stuff like that recently, either that or you all are just picking up on it more.

My knowledge of the big rubber suits comes pretty much exclusively from watching behind the scenes material from nu-Who. That being said, I'd imagine that as per usua, style is emphasised over comfort with them. I know that the Breen suits were a pain to use, as it was difficult to see or breathe inside it, and I could imagine that being an issue with the Tzenkethi outfit too. They may not overheat, but with costumes like that, you sort of have to weigh up how much you want the actor to be able to move, because motability decreases comfort options. The overheating comment was just conjecture, but I'd imagine that that could happen.
I suspect we'll probably see the use of CGI in later seasons to make the Tholians and Tzenkethi more "mobile" (ie making models run down hallways and using darkness/smoke to hide the not great renders) but continuing to use the suits for closeups as they have the details and its easier for actors to work with

It might not actually be that much later, in terms of the overall series length, as the all-CGI Species 8472 first premiered in 1997 IOTL.

Imo it's more of a budget problem than a tech one. CGI back then was expensive and DS9 already has changelings and those large-scale space battles to worry about.

Imo it's more of a budget problem than a tech one. CGI back then was expensive and DS9 already has changelings and those large-scale space battles to worry about.
Part of the reason why changeling CGI wasn’t great was because they were trying to do liquids and blend it with live action, which your brain can immediately flag what’s wrong looking cause you know how those things look. Weird non-human aliens your brain is a bit more forgiving of. In addition, you can use darkness and smoke to obscure your quick and dirty render. Your Tholian models not looking great? Stick it in a ship filled with orange gas and heat distortion and nobody will be able to tell.
It’s probably something they’d also save for a season finale when they’re already blowing the budget on big effects so what’s one more? Jem’hadar boarding the station? Let’s have a scene with a CGI Tzenkethi ambassador chasing them down a hall which just so happens to be darkly lit

Chapter LV: "Or What You Will..."

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
Part II, Chapter LV: "Or What You Will..."

“Season Two is often lumped in with the first one, mainly because it was pre-Dominion. But when you compare it to the first season, they’re very different beasts. We’d hammered out a lot of the relationships by that point, figured out which actors worked well together. We could start to tailor the stories to our strengths, and I think that when you look at it objectively, that really comes through. I’m biased of course, though.”​
- Ronald D. Moore, on the second season of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.

With one moderately successful season under its belt, Deep Space Nine was set for an explosive second season. In addition to being the show that would open UPN, the plot threads that would dictate the story for the rest of the show’s run would be laid in this season, with more recurring characters being introduced, and a mirror to the Federation, the Dominion, being hinted at throughout the season.

Season Two opener, “The Homecoming” would not actually be the story to open UPN, that honour would go instead to the series premiere episode, “Emissary”. However, “The Homecoming” would air immediately after, skipping the rest of the first season. [1]

The move to UPN brought much publicity, especially as Paramount hoped that it could become the “fifth network” to rival NBC, ABC, CBS and Fox. While the previous season had averaged a 7% viewership rating, the move to UPN would see it increase to 9%. While this meant that it still trailed somewhat in comparison to The Next Generation, there was real hope that it could lead the franchise into a new era. The increased success of Deep Space Nine on network television, as opposed to being aired in syndication led to discussions of bringing the upcoming show Odyssey to UPN as well. [2]

The second season would be released to positive reviews, with the more clear direction the story was being directed being noted by many critics. To many, after a slightly shaky first season, it seemed that Deep Space Nine had properly found its place in the franchise.

List of Episodes of Season 2 of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: [3]
  1. The Homecoming
  2. The Circle
  3. The Siege
  4. Invasive Procedures
  5. Khitomer [4]
  6. Cardassians
  7. Good Friends and Happy Families
  8. Workmanship [5]
  9. Necessary Evil
  10. The Rules of Acquisition
  11. Giant
  12. The Maquis (Part I)
  13. The Maquis (Part II)
  14. Armageddon Game
  15. Quiet Days [6]
  16. Impregnable
  17. Tzenketh [7]
  18. Whispers
  19. Paradise
  20. The Night that Covers Me
  21. Whatever Gods May Be
  22. Profit and Loss
  23. Confederates [8]
  24. The Collaborator
  25. The Wire
  26. The Jem’Hadar
Bold denotes a story written by @The Chimera Virus

Main Cast of Season 2 of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: [9]
  • Commander Benjamin Sisko – Laurence Fishburne
  • Constable Odo – Rene Auberjonois
  • Dr. (Lt. j.g.) Julian Bashir – Siddig El-Fadil
  • Lt. Jadzia Dax – Famke Janssen
  • Jake Sisko – Cirroc Lofton
  • Chief Miles O’Brien – Colm Meaney
  • Quark – Armin Shimerman
  • Lt. Andrew Kelly – Christian Slater
  • Major Kira Nerys – Nana Visitor
Recurring Cast of Season 2 of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: [10]
  • Captain John Sheridan – Peter Capaldi
  • Anna Sheridan – Kirsten Dunst
  • Admiral David Gardener – Pierce Brosnan
  • Keiko O’Brien – Rosalind Chao
  • Rom – Max Grodénchik
  • Nog – Aron Eisenberg
  • Elim Garak – Andrew Robinson
  • Gul Dukat – Marc Alaimo
  • Vedek Winn – Louise Fletcher
  • Vedek/Kai Bareil – Phillip Anglim
  • Grand Nagus Zek – Wallace Shawn
  • Lt. K’Rene – Virginia Madsen
  • Sub-Commander Jenai – Linda Hunt [11]

The fact that the show had become more successful with the move to UPN led Paramount to order further seasons. The cast had all signed contracts for six seasons, and Paramount made it clear that they intended to use them fully. This was a sigh of relief for the writers, who were effectively given free reign to explore the arc they were intending to. [12]

[1] As said before, this is so that people watching the show for the first time aren't dropped in the middle of the story.
[2] Some of you mentioned that you were surprised to see that I was putting Osyssey into syndication, and on second thought, it makes sense to have it here as the "second show" and to keep people coming back more than once a week.
[3] Unlike normal, I actually had difficulty in cutting this season down. I didn't want to remove any particularly important stories, hence the inclusion of "Rules of Acquisition" despite its quality. @The Chimera Virus has written some crackers for this season as well.
[4] Introduction of K'Rene, small hints of a relationship blossoming between her and Dax.
[5] A rare O'Brien episode in that he doesn't suffer.
[6] The season's "quiet" episode, in that it's character driven, no real outside focus. Follows the crew during what appears to be a bit of relative calm.
[7] Introduction of the Tzenkethi. A few of the crew are veterans of the Tzenkethi war, as is the new ambassador.
[8] Re-introdiction to the Breen. They maintain their static voices from OTL, but I have my reasons why. They just won't be revealed yet.
[9] Right. Copy-pasting lists is too much of a pain for lists like these. From next season, tables.
[10] The three (Tzenkethi, Breen, Tholian) ambassadors don't get credits here, as who performs them is a little more fluid than the other recurring characters.
[11] This is a character written by @The Chimera Virus, so they'll primarily appear in stories written by him. But hey, Romulans!
[12] As with OTL, A six season contract may not necessarily translate into six seasons. It could easily be more or less.

Last edited:
[5] A rare O'Brien episode in that he doesn't suffer.
Pure ASB! It's not Star Trek if the Irish aren't suffering :p

[10] The three (Tzenkethi, Breen, Tholian) ambassadors don't get credits here, as who performs them is a little more fluid than the other recurring characters.
If they have a solid recurring actor providing the voice, maybe they can be listed instead/along side the suit actor. Its what they do in shows like Doom Patrol

Nice setup for the Second Season of DS9, nice they have begun to find their groove.

A Babylon 5 story that might right into the early seasons is Infection - esp given whatever traps are left lying around on the station or on Bajor. Be cool to see a G'Kar type figure- perhaps a Cardassian Ambassador who is the 'bad guy' all the way through until the Dominion happens and they turn out to be awesome.

Does Ronald D. Moore move to Odessey and bring some Galactica style 'ragtag fleet' vibe to that show?

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
Nice setup for the Second Season of DS9, nice they have begun to find their groove.

A Babylon 5 story that might right into the early seasons is Infection - esp given whatever traps are left lying around on the station or on Bajor. Be cool to see a G'Kar type figure- perhaps a Cardassian Ambassador who is the 'bad guy' all the way through until the Dominion happens and they turn out to be awesome.

Does Ronald D. Moore move to Odessey and bring some Galactica style 'ragtag fleet' vibe to that show?
I've been considering a G'Kar type character, and a Cardassian may just work in that role. It would be especially interesting to see how they interact with Garak, given that they would be a member of the civillian government, and almost all of the Cardassians we've seen so far are military.

Odyssey will have some elements of the revival Battlestar Galactica (another series which I have, regrettably, not seen). With Behr and Straczynski taking the reins on DS9 and Gerrold and Taylor having control of ODY, Moore will shift between the two shows, writing a good deal for both. He's sort of going to be the liaison between the two shows, making sure that they don't contradict each other, and having a decent say in how they're run. Moore's appreciation for Galactica will definitely seep into ODY, while his work with the Klingons will be appreciated on DS9. There's a reason he became known as "the Klingon guy".

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
Why not introduce Damar earlier and have him as some thing of a G'Kar analogue?
Damar is one of my favourite characters in that show (though let's be honest, there's a lot of competition, especially among the recurring Cardassians), so I might consider that. I do think that Damar works very well as Dukat's right hand, who is in many ways similar to, though more honest than him. I don't think that a civillian character could pull quite that same Heel-Face Turn. I'd rather keep the two separate. That being said, I won't rule it out. If nothing else, it's given me a bit of a framework to use for the character.

Overview of Season 2 of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
Overview of Season 2 of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

“Good morning, Constable.”
“Commander. I take it that you’re here for my security report.”
“I am. Is there anything of particular interest inside?”
“Not particularly. The most drama we’ve had all week has been a series of noise complaints from one section of the habitat ring.”
“Oh really? Why is that?”
“Are you familiar with Klingon courtship rituals, Commander?”
“Largely. I know that the men recite love poetry while the women roar and throw heavy objects at their partner.”
“Yes, well suffice it to say that a large portion of us living on this station are made acutely aware when the Lakota is docked.”
“I see. I’ll get the Chief working on improved soundproofing for Lt. Dax’s quarters.”
- Constable Odo and Commander Sisko speak about noise complaints, taken from the opening scene of “Quiet Days”. [1]

The Homecoming
Kira investigates the possibility that a Bajoran hero, Li Nalas, is alive in a Cardassian penal colony after she is given his earring by Quark. While Kira and O’Brien investigate, eventually resulting in their freeing Li and many other Bajoran prisoners, on the station, Sisko, Kelly and Odo deal with an extremist faction called “the Circle” which has established a presence on the station, and threatens the security of the non-Bajorans on-board.​
Guest Stars: Richard Beymer as Li Nalas, Frank Langella (uncredited) as Minister Jaro​

The Circle
Kira is relieved of her duties by the Bajoran government, leading her to take spiritual guidance from Vedek Bareil, the two growing closer. While Li Nalas replaces Kira as liaison officer, the crew investigates the possibility that the Cardassians are providing the Circle with arms via middle men in order to move the Federation away from Bajor, allowing them to occupy Bajor again. Kira is kidnapped by the Circle, discovering that their leader is Minister Jaro.​
Guest Stars: Richard Beymer as Li Nalas, Frank Langella (uncredited) as Minister Jaro​

The Siege
Following the regime change on Bajor, assault vessels are sent to take control of Deep Space Nine, as the non-Bajorans on the station evacuate. The crew, however, elects to stay behind and resist the Bajoran occupation. Kira and Dax are sent to find proof of the Cardassians being involved, while Sisko and the rest of the crew fight a guerilla war against the Bajorans who have taken control of the station.​

Invasive Procedures
While much of the normal personnel are en-route back to the station after "The Siege", a skeleton crew keeps the station running until they arrive. An unjoined Trill, his partner, and a pair of Klingon mercenaries board the station after posing as a freighter in distress, and take control of the station. The Trill, Verad, reveals that he was deemed unsuitable for symbiosis, and now wishes to take the Dax symbiont and join with it. Such a procedure however, would kill Jadzia.​
Guest Star: John Glover as Verad​

Khitomer
The Lakota returns from its research mission in the Gamma Quadrant. While the crews of the ship and the station exchange stories, the USS Khitomer arrives with the Lakota’s new science officer, a Klingon named K’Rene. K’Rene meets Dax, revealing that Curzon is held in high regard in the Klingon Empire, and as a result, Jadzia is too. K’Rene struggles working with Dax during their time at the station, due to her being outcast from Klingon society, though the two soon strike up a close friendship that begins to turn romantic.​

Cardassians
Garak sees a Cardassian boy on the station, but when he goes to meet him, the boy, Rugal, bites him on the hand. This sparks an investigation into the boy’s family when allegations of abuse are made. Rugal is revealed to be a “war orphan”, a Cardassian left behind after the occupation. Dukat intervenes, trying to bring the boy back to Cardassia, but they face resistance from the boy’s adoptive family, while Garak and Bashir investigate further.​

Good Friends and Happy Families by @The Chimera Virus
Anna Sheridan befriends Vexaan, the child of a Tholian ambassador. It’s awkward at first, but the two find that they get along well and have similar views about how their parents are often away. When Captain Sheridan returns from the Gamma Quadrant he is leery of the child, but open enough once he realizes how important this relationship is to Anna. However, when Anna invites Vexaan to dinner, tension arises. Ambassador Xorava, Vexaan’s parent, believes the friendship is inappropriate. They threaten to pull Tholian cooperation out of a major expedition into the Gamma Quadrant unless the association ends, going so far as to trap the wormhole behind a Tholian web…!​

Workmanship
O’Brien investigates a series of power failures caused by overloads, finding evidence of sabotage. While Odo begins an investigation to catch the saboteur, O’Brien decides to spend more time with his daughter, Molly. Odo finds evidence that the saboteur is working on behalf of the Cardassian military, but is unable to discern why the sabouteur only attacked minor systems.​

Necessary Evil
Quark is attacked after retrieving a box containing a lift of names for a woman living on Bajor. Given the location of the attack, Odo suspects that this may be related to an unsolved murder from the time of the Cardassian occupation that led to his meeting Kira. While Odo tries to solve the attempted murder, the audience is shown the original investigation from five years prior.​

Rules of Acquisition
The Grand Nagus visits Deep Space Nine to ask Quark to perform a business transaction for him in the Gamma Quadrant. Quark enlists one of his waiters, Pel, to assist him. Unbeknownst to all, Pel is a female, and as a result, is breaking Ferengi tradition by being employed. While the deal with the first species, the Dosi, turns sour, they put Quark in contact with the Karrema, who are a powerful race in a political entity called “the Dominion”. Soon, Quark and Pel realise that Zek is looking to gain information on the Dominion.​

Giant by @The Chimera Virus
While drinking in Quark’s, Dax becomes annoyed with a young, persistent Ferengi admirer. K’Rene informs the Ferengi to buzz off and is challenged to a fight, only to laugh it off. “There’s no honor in fighting a single Ferengi,” she says. A shadow falls upon her as a towering figure blocks the doorway. “Funny,” it chuckles, “I’d say the same thing about Klingons.” A giant Ferengi ducks down through the doorway and squares up to the dwarfed K’Rene. A bar brawl breaks out, whereupon Odo arrests the lot of them.​

It transpires that the first Ferengi, Marvix, and the giant Ferengi, Giyoth, are brothers. Doctor Giyoth is a scientist who uncovered secrets in the Ferengi genome. Namely, Ferengi used to be enormous, Klingon-dwarfing bruisers who evolved to be quick, smart, and underhanded to survive a now-extinct superpredator. This possible upending of the social order on Ferenginar has made them wanted fugitives. They ask Dax and K’Rene to escort them to the Gamma Quadrant where they can live in peace. The women agree, but find themselves pursued by DaiMon Vlork, who shoots them down onto an uninhabited planet. A chase through the desert ensues, only ended when Etzga (Vlork’s second-in-command) pulls rank and claims this does nothing to preserve the economy anymore and is therefore counterintuitive to profit motive. He shoots Vlork dead and informs Marvix and Giyoth to never show their faces in the Alpha Quadrant again. He offers Dax and K’Rene a lift back to DS9 provided they never speak of the incident again.​
Guest Stars: Michael Clarke Duncan as Doctor Giyoth, Seth Green as Marvix, and Saul Rubinek as DaiMon Vlork​

The Maquis
A Cardassian vessel explodes shortly after leaving the station, leaving the crew suspecting foul play. An old friend of Sisko and Dax’s, Lt. Cmdr. Calvin Hudson, arrives on the station to assist, as he is the Federation attaché to the demilitarised zone along the Cardassian border, though he expresses his dissatisfaction with the new peace treaty with Cardassia. Dukat also arrives, helping in Sisko’s investigation, while the two discover that both Cardassian and Federation colonists are being armed, and that a new war could break out.​
Guest Stars: Bernie Casey as Cal Hudson, Nigel Havers as Gul Evek​

Armageddon Game
Dr. Bashir and O’Brien spend two weeks helping two previously warring races, the Kellerun and T’Lani, destroy their supply and information on “Harvesters”, an incredibly potent biological weapon. When the time comes to complete the job, they are attacked by two Kellerun soldiers and although they manage to overpower them and escape, O’Brien is infected with the Harvesters. The T’Lani and Kellerun tell Sisko that they died in an accident, though inconsistencies in the security logs lead some of the crew to suspect that there may be more than meets the eye.​

Quiet Days
During a period of relative quiet on the station, newly promoted Lt. Kelly is visited by a friend from the Academy, Lt. Winters. The two catch up, seeing the disparity between their jobs. While Winters has had a string of largely uninteresting assignments, Kelly has served on the Enterprise, and now Deep Space Nine. Kelly reflects on his position, and tries to deal with his increasingly distant friendship with Winters that he still values.​
Guest Star: Peri Gilpin as Lt. Winters​

Impregnable by @The Chimera Virus
Kira receives word from an old Resistance contact, Belyat Gostan, that Cardassians have retained Bajoran prisoners in a hidden, impregnable asteroid near the Badlands. Furious, Kira brings the matter to Sisko, who wants proof. Kira is annoyed, believing Belyat at his word – he’s always been an honorable man. Lying isn’t like him. Sisko refuses to budge, so she and Belyat commandeer a runabout, the USS Irrawaddy. Sheridan puts off his shore leave to pursue them in the Lakota with a skeleton crew. Due to planned repair work, however, the Lakota can only manage Warp 4.75. As it turns out, the asteroid does apparently exist – it permanently disables the Irrawaddy and temporarily disables the Lakota. However, there are no Bajorans being kept at the asteroid facility. This is a testing ground for an outpost designed to disable ships wanting to illegally enter Cardassian space – such as those of the Maquis, of which Belyat is a high-ranking member. When Kira begins to have doubts about their mission, Belyat takes her hostage. He’s going to destroy the outpost and every Cardassian inside, with or without her help.​
Guest Stars: Danny Trejo as Belyat Gostan​

Tzenketh
The new Tzenkethi ambassador to the Gamma Quadrant, Quarra Nim-Gar-A, arrives on Deep Space Nine. Many of the crew, including Commander Sisko, are veterans of the Federation-Tzenkethi war, as is Quarra. As she adjusts to life on the station, she and the crew are also forced to acknowledge their prejudices towards each other, amid rising tensions between the two polities. Many suspect that Quarra has been sent to the station ahead of a Tzenkethi claim to the wormhole, and a subsequent war.​

Whispers
On a runabout on course to the Parada system, O’Brien records a personal log of events. He reveals that since his return from Parada, everyone on the station seems to have been acting strangely, seeming to be awkward and suspicious around him, with few exceptions. When some of the senior officers attempt to sedate him, he escapes and steals the runabout, being pursued by Sisko, Dax and Bashir in the Mekong.​

Paradise
Sisko and O’Brien discover human life on an uncharted planet, and beam down to investigate. There, they find that there is a duonetic field that prevents the use of their technology. They meet the survivors of a group of colonists that became stranded years ago, who have eschewed technology due to the field. While Sisko and O’Brien are sure that help will come, the leader of the colonists, Alixus, doubts this and tries to integrate them into the community, resisting their attempts to make their technology work in the field.​

The Night that Covers Me (Part One) by @The Chimera Virus
While investigating the Gamma Quadrant, Lt. Kelly and Major Kira find a crashed Romulan vessel on a planet near the wormhole. Within moments of their discovery, their runabout is sucked down to the planet, stranding them as well. The crew of the Romulan vessel, led by Dysenas, is under siege by the native Lak’tu, led by Felar, who claim the Romulans’ presence will bring the wrath of their protean gods down upon them. Back on DS9, a Vulcan vessel arrives bearing three disguised Romulan agents – Commander Obelan, Subcommander Jenai, and Lieutenant Vask. They claim that forces in the Gamma Quadrant have begun a clandestine operation that abducts entire ships from the Alpha and Beta Quadrant.​
Guest Stars: Yaphet Kotto as Captain Dysenas, J.K. Simmons as Commander Obelan, Linda Hunt as Subcommander Jenai, Adrian LaTourelle as Lieutenant Vask, and Héctor Elizondo as Felar​

Whatever Gods May Be (Part Two) by @The Chimera Virus
The away team tries in vain to contact DS9, only succeeding in earning increased ire and suspicion from the Lak’tu. Eventually, they kidnap Dysenas and Kira – this is allegedly for a ritual sacrifice but is in truth much less barbaric. Felar is not one of the Lak’tu, but of a race he refers to as “Founders.” He’s the one who has been abducting ships. The Founders, he explains, are studying the races of the quadrants to better determine what their course of action should be regarding first contact.​

Meanwhile, Obelan manages to convince Sisko to assist them in retrieving their people in exchange for negotiations that would allow a renegotiation of the terms in the Treaty of Algeron. People are dubious about this, none more so than Bashir and Jenai. The party, consisting of the Romulan agents, Sisko, Dax, and Bashir, heads into the wormhole with a cloaked Romulan transport vessel brought aboard the Vulcan ship. They trace the other ship’s signal and arrive to find the remaining Romulan crew and Kelly storming Felar’s temple against a sea of Lak’tu.​

Assisting their comrades, they burst into Felar’s secret underground lab to find Dysenas and Kira about to be dissected. In short order, Felar escapes to save his own skin while Sisko and Dax shut down the abduction technology. After a hasty escape, the Romulans leave – no one is to know of their meeting, but Obelan informs Sisko “we’ll be in touch.​

After leaving DS9, Obelan is informed by Jenai that the Tal Shiar will never allow such a renegotiation to occur. Jenai is, in fact, an agent for the Tal Shiar – Commander Solaris. Obelan exceeded his authority and must now be killed. Solaris shoots him dead and then sounds the alarm. The Federation, she claims, must have acted in bad faith.​

On the Lak’tu homeworld, a harried Felar rushes to a clearing in the forest. A woman meets him there, and he informs her that his operation has been scuppered. She’s well aware; he still gathered an immense amount of valuable information. Plans can proceed – perhaps a little differently, but still…​
Guest Stars: Yaphet Kotto as Captain Dysenas, J.K. Simmons as Commander Obelan, Linda Hunt as Subcommander Jenai/Commander Solaris, Adrian LaTourelle as Lieutenant Vask, Héctor Elizondo as Felar, and Salome Jens (uncredited) as the Female Changeling​

Profit and Loss
A damaged Cardassian ship arrives outside Deep Space Nine, and it is brought in. The ship’s leader, Natima Lang, seems to have a history with Quark, and Garak recognises her. When O’Brien discovers that the ship was damaged by Cardassian disruptors, Lang reveals that she and her students are dissidents fleeing Central Command. Cardassians arrive, threatening to attack the station if the dissidents are not handed over, and Bajor contemplates handing them over in exchange for the release of Bajoran political prisoners held by Cardassia.​

Confederates
A Breen warship arrives at Deep Space Nine unannounced, then travels through the wormhole. Admiral Gardener sends Sheridan and the Lakota through the wormhole to follow them, and ascertain their interest in the Gamma Quadrant. Kelly accompanies Sheridan, as he has some experience with the Breen. Following the Breen warp trail, they find the wrecks of many unidentified ships, which Sheridan suspects to be Dominion. As they prepare for a potential confrontation with the Breen, the Lakota’s crew begin to hypothesize about what the Dominon may be like.​

The Collaborator
As Bajor prepares for the election of its new spiritual leader, the Kai, information is brought to light that during the occupation, one of the Vedeks leaked information to the Cardassians that resulted in the death of 43 members of the resistance. Winn is eager to find evidence that this Vedek is Bareil, to force him to drop out of the running. However, she finds that the real collaborator is the previous Kai, Opaka. She reveals this, which shakes the establishment of the religious community on Bajor, legitimising more extreme and evangelical Vedeks like her. In the end, the Vedek Assembly comes to a tie, and while Bareil is make Kai, Winn is given a powerful position as a compromise. While Winn is disappointed to not have won the election, she makes it clear that working with her in the future will not be easy.​

The Wire
Waiting in line for lunch with Dr. Bashir, Garak starts suffering from a headache, and begins to act strangely and leaves. Bashir realises that though they have been having lunch together for two years now, he hardly knows Garak. Bashir observes Garak, seeing him meet with Quark, and with Odo’s help, finds that Quark is trying to get a classified piece of Cardassian biotechnology. As Garak continues to act strangely, revealing “information” about his past to Bashir, Julian decides to track down the leader of the Obsidian Order to save Garak.​
Guest Star: Paul Dooley as Enabran Tain​

The Jem’Hadar
Sisko, Jake, Nog and Quark go camping on a planet in the Gamma Quadrant, but Sisko and Quark are taken captive along with a woman called Eris by the “Jem’Hadar”, who are the military arm of the Dominion. The Jem’Hadar announces that the Dominion will no longer permit ships from the Alpha Quadrant entering their space without permission. Meanwhile, back on the station, the USS Pallas arrives to assist in the search for Sisko and the others, as the Lakota is undergoing minor refits. Although Sisko and the others manage to escape with Eris, the Pallas is crippled by Jem’Hadar vessels, though they do not finish it off. When Eris is revealed to be a spy for the Dominion, the crew realise that they may be unprepared for an enemy like the Dominion, should they choose to attack.​
Guest Star: Molly Hagan as Eris​

[1] Yeah, I know, I don't normally do footnotes on these, and this is going to be the only one for this update, but I wanted to address this. This exchange is basically a retooling of the "There is nobody on Deck 9, Section 12 who does not know when you're having intimate relations" line from Voyager, but it's one of my favourite lines from that show. This also functions as a test to how well I can get the voices of the characters, namely Sisko and Odo. I think I did okay, but I'm happy for constructive criticism.

Last edited:
I'm sure I've mentioned this idea before but hearing Bryan Cranston voice an alien could be fun since he was doing voice work for Power Rangers at this point.

Last edited:
Chapter LVI: "Passing the Torch"

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
Part II, Chapter LVI: "Passing the Torch"

“It was really melancholy on set. We knew that there was a good chance that that would be the last time we were all together for something like that. But it was fun to be there, doing the work with the younger lot. Neither Bill [Shatner] or George [Takei] had met them yet, so it was interesting to see how they interacted. I’m pretty happy with the finished product.”​
- James Doohan on his role as Montgomery Scott in Star Trek VI: Generation, the last time in main continuity that he would reprise that role.

November of 1995 would bring the sixth film in the Star Trek franchise, the final one to feature the entire Original Series crew. In addition, it would be the first film to feature the Next Generation cast, with the story acting as a “hand-over”.

The film would be directed by Leonard Nimoy, who also acted as one of the writers. The film would be the last released under Rick Berman’s tenure as franchise head, and as such, would be the last to credit him as writer.

The film would be released on November 17th 1995, to positive reviews. Though it was considered a slightly weaker showing than The Final Frontier in part due to the much larger cast, it was financially successful. However, its success would be tempered somewhat due to it sharing a release date with the hugely successful Goldeneye, the first James Bond film to star Sean Bean in the role, also starring Paul McGann. [1]

Plot Synopsis of Star Trek VI: Generations: based on a proposal by @Ogrebear

On its final mission before decommissioning, the crew of the Enterprise-A survey an asteroid that is giving off strange energy readings. They discover evidence of a complex inside the asteroid, and manage to activate an opening after Uhura manages to establish a connection with the computer systems in the complex. Kirk and Uhura, along with a security and science detail, beam down to the complex after piloting the Enterprise inside the asteroid. They discover a small artificial star inside, which seems to be stable. The base however, seems to show no signs of habitation.

Onboard the Enterprise, Spock and Scotty deduce that the star is not stable, but rather “metastable”, going through periods of high instability, one of which is about to start. The increasing instability in the star is causing its energy outputs to become erratic, which was the source of the strange readings. Uhura returns to the Enterprise to analyse data she has retrieved from the computer systems, discovering that the base is Iconian. While Kirk and the rest of the team try to open the inner complex up, the star’s output shifts again, damaging the Enterprise’s shields. The crew realise that they will have to leave and seal the asteroid or face the destruction of the Enterprise, as they cannot risk lowering the already weakened shields to rescue the away team. Kirk orders them to leave, accepting his fate. Unbeknownst to the crew of the Enterprise, one of the away team has found a way inside the base, and they enter the base before the star’s radiation causes them any more damage.

It is revealed that this story was being told through Spock’s perspective to the crew of the Enterprise-D during the events of “Unification”. Since then, and after “Relics”, where Montgomery Scott was rescued from another Iconian artefact, the two have reconvened, and deduced that the star’s stability period is every 76 years, an anniversary which is coming up. They wish to undertake a mission to the asteroid once more, and find out what happened to Kirk.

Spock and Scotty manage to convince Sulu, who has now served as captain of the Excelsior and as Federation President, to come with them on this mission. They find that Uhura needs little convincing, nor does Dr McCoy, though they face difficulty in getting Chekov temporary parole to serve on the mission. Scotty decides to ask the crew of the Enterprise-E for their help, and to use their ship for the mission. While Captain Picard agrees, he expresses concern over the possibility of Chekov being on the ship again. [2]

Sulu is able to use his political clout to get Chekov parole, and the crew of the old Enterprise, all now reaching extreme old age with the exceptions of Spock and Scotty, meet with the crew of the Enterprise-E, as they set off for the mission.

Upon reaching the asteroid, they find that they are being hailed. A young man appears on screen, explaining that he is one of the descendants of the away team that was left behind. The old crew meet with the fledgling civilisation that has formed, finding Kirk miraculously alive, but aged and on the brink of death. The inhabitants reveal that they want to remain on the asteroid, having become happy with their life there, or in the case of most of the younger members, know only that life. However, the radiation from the unstable star is slowly killing them.

Geordi, Scotty, Data and Spock work on a way of stabilising the star, while Drs. Henderson and McCoy treat the inhabitants for radiation posioning. Kirk soon finds himself swarmed by visitors who want to meet the legendary captain, not least of all Picard. Kirk expresses pleasant surprise that it should be the Enterprise that saves him, and urges Picard not to give up his captaincy there for anything.

Scotty finishes the device, which should stabilise the miniature star’s fusion sequence. Sulu and Ro pilot the shuttle that will fire the device, and it is a success. However, upon the star’s stabilisation, parts of the facility suddenly activate, and energy readings from inside many of the structures spike. Gateways form, showing a far-away world in ruin. Worf and Chekov mount a quick expedition to the other side, but are forced to retreat by sentry drones, which follow them through. [3]

Picard hypothesizes that these drones are remnants of the Iconian Empire, and that the asteroid was never inhabited because they could not make the star stabilise. Drones begin pouring out of the gateways, and despite its power, the Enterprise begins to be overwhelmed by the sheer number. Uhura tries to shut off the gates, but finds that they are hardwired into the systems, and cannot be deactivated unless the star is destabilised. [4]

The crew of the Enterprise and the inhabitants are beamed up, while Scotty and Geordi create a new device that will destabilise the star, using trilithium. The device however, must be activated by someone close by, who will have to remain and likely die. Kirk volunteers, saying that he had always known that he would die alone, and has come to terms with his own mortality given his failing health. The drones continue to attack the Enterprise, while Kirk travels back to the surface in a shuttle. The Enterprise clears the asteroid, sealing it shut once more, fighting off the drones that have followed it out. Kirk stands alone under an alien sun, and activates the device. As the sun destabilises and explodes, Kirk closes his eyes and smiles, feeling the warmth on his face. [5]

The crew of the Enterprise, both old and new, mourn for Kirk once more. Returning to Earth, the original crew parts ways with the new crew and each other, expressing a bitersweet joy in having been able to have one last mission with the complete crew. The Enterprise-E departs to continue the mission that Kirk’s Enterprise started. Seek out new life and new civilisations, and to boldly go where no-one has gone before. [6]

Cast of Star Trek VI: Generations:
  • Captain James T. Kirk – William Shatner
  • Spock – Leonard Nimoy
  • Dr. Leonard McCoy – DeForest Kelley
  • Uhura – Nichelle Nichols
  • Hikaru Sulu – George Takei
  • Montgomery Scott – James Doohan
  • Pavel Chekov – Walter Koenig
  • Captain Julien Picard – Patrick Stewart
  • Commander William Riker – Jonathan Frakes
  • Lt. Cmdr. Data – Brent Spiner
  • Dr. Henderson – Stephanie Beacham
  • Lt. Cmdr. Geordi La Forge – LeVar Burton
  • Counsellor (Cmdr.) Troi – Marina Sirtis [7]
  • Lt. Worf – Michael Dorn
  • Lt. Ro Laren – Michelle Forbes

With the sixth film’s success, even among strong competition, a seventh would be ordered, tentatively for a June 1997 release, starring the cast of The Next Generation. The torch had been passed.

[1] Alright, a little detour here. To clarify, Sean Bean is James Bomd, Paul McGann is Alec Trevelyan. This is part of the reason why I didn't reveal all of what McGann was doing when I was asked a little while ago. Sorry, I lied a bit with that.
[2] I really like Sulu. So I've incorporated some Beta canon here, with him being the Federation President at some point. Also, there will be pretty heavy makeup on some of the cast (not season 1 TNG though, gods no) as their characters are all nearing 150.
[3] I also really like the Iconians. As you may be able to tell, I'm somewhat influenced by Star Trek Online. Fun as that game is though, it is a game, and that doesn't translate to a good film. So we don't see the Iconians, in fact all evidence is that they're extinct. We've already seen the destructive potential of their technology though.
[4] I like bigger and better enemies, sure. But what I prefer is something new. Sure, the Enterprise-E could punch through most enemy ships no problem, and these Iconian drones are no exception. That many drones though? They're pouring out faster than the Enterprise can take them down.
[5] So, why did I kill Kirk off after stranding him on the planet? Why strand him there and not save the rest of the crew? It's simple. One: he needed to die on screen, or at least we needed to see his final moments. Two: he hadn't accepted death during the Enterprise-A mission, but he had here. While he dies alone, he doesn't die lonely. He's accepted his fate, and he's happy to go out saving the Enterprise, he wouldn't have it any other way.
[6] I imagine this film being capped off in a J.J. Abrams reboot films kind of way, in that just before the closing credits, as the Enterprise-E sets off to the stars, Shatner reads the Captain's Oath.
[7] Her pay dispute is sorted out, but as a result, Troi doesn't get much to do in the film. That will be different next time. It was dificult to give everyone something to do, especially with the big cast. This needed to be a film focussed on the original crew, so I prioritised them.

@Timelordtoe Thank you for Generation - your outline works very nicely and add a little more punch than the outline made. I think the oldest of the crew McCoy would be about 150, with the youngest 100ish. Still old, but not decrepit.

Didn't think you'd kill Kirk, thought you might use Chekov to rehabilitate him, but this is totally the way Kirk would go out. Hopefully Chekov has a chance to rehabilitate himself in this film some other way. Be nice if Worf and Scotty somehow earned each others respect somehow in here too.

The decendents of the landing party- hope you can use them for an episode at some point on DS9 or Odyssey as I am sure they would have a unique viewpoint of the Federation. Perhaps the contrast to the 'Utopia' their parents described and the reality as they have found it?

Would love to see some of the TOS crew on DS9 too please!