"Where Are We Going This Time": The Golden Age of Science Fiction

What should happen with the season summary updates?

• Continue as is (might delay other updates)

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Release them later, as supplementary material

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Cut out the OTL bits, only say what you've changed (might only be a temporary solution)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stop them completely

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
Nice season there @Timelordtoe - there are some episodes there I’d really like to know how they end!

Gald to see a temporally awake Picard.

I’d say go for it on the prose thread.
I'd certainly love to read it.
Yeah, I slept on the idea, and I've decided that I'll just go for it anyway. If it doesn't take off, then it doesn't take off. But I'm hopeful that it goes well, and it may even bring more people over here to read the timeline, which would be a win-win. I'll probably start releasing that around the time that Part III begins (soon!)

Chapter LIII: "Telemachy"

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
Part II, Chapter LIII: "Telemachy"

“When we were beginning to properly hammer out the details of Odyssey was around the time that we had all the stuff with Rick [Berman]. It was sort of strange, as for the first few months we worked on that, he had the final say, but then he was just gone. He didn’t have authority over us any more. Of course, we needed to run things by him if we wanted them included in The Next Generation or Deep Space Nine, but it was different after that. We had a lot more freedom.”​
- David Gerrold on the production of Star Trek: Odyssey. [1]

With the end of The Next Generation, there was going to be void in the Star Trek franchise. This was a void that Paramount intended to fill with Star Trek: Odyssey. While Deep Space Nine was successful thus far, it was shaping up to be a very different show to The Next Generation. To remedy that, Odyssey would fill that space in, being set on a ship that (albeit involuntarily) ends up on an exploratory mission.

With the departure of Rick Berman, production of the show would fall almost entirely onto David Gerrold, Michael Piller, and Jeri Taylor. As the first show of the “Gerrold era” of Star Trek, they were eager to show a new side of the franchise that they had been discouraged from exploring during Rick Berman’s time as the head of the franchise.

Much of the casting had been done in time for The Next Generation’s eighth and Deep Space Nine’s second seasons, meaning that certain character who would be of great importance to Odyssey could be introduced beforehand. The concept of the EMH was introduced, as were Nick Locarno and Gul Evek.

The captain-to-be of the Odyssey was also cast by this point. In the early stages of writing, the producers were unsure as to whether they wanted a male or female captain, and so decided to open the auditions to all, regardless of gender. Eventually, they narrowed their search down to two actors, one male and one female. Their choices were Nigel Havers and Claudia Christian. Though eventually the decision was made to make Captain Janeway female, Nigel Havers was offered the role of Gul Evek, the leader of the Cardassian contingent on Odyssey. [2]

Due to the set-up of three crews becoming one, the main cast of Odyssey was large, and there would be many recurring characters. With this large cast, there was a real opportunity to make it one of the most diverse on television. To this end, the writers decided to make the leader of the Maquis contingent a Native American. To help them write the character in a way that would be faithful and respectful, they hired Lakota activist Russell Means as a consultant, deciding to make the character of Chakotay Lakota, renaming him to Chatan. To remain true to his heritage, they decided to hire First Nations Canadian actor Graham Greene to fill the role. [3]

Evek was not to be the only Cardassian main character, as he would be joined by Glinn Rejal, who would be played by American Actress Tracy Scoggins. Also in the Maquis contingent was to be Kollin Torres, a half-human, half-Romulan Starfleet dropout. British-Canadian actress Kim Cattrall was cast in this role. [4]

A large portion of the main cast would be Starfleet personnel. Other than Captain Janeway, there would be Lt. Tuvok, a Vulcan played by Tim Russ, and Ensign Kim, played by Garrett Wang. The character of Nick Locarno, introduced in “The First Duty”, was a disgraced but highly talented Starfleet cadet that would be played by Robert Duncan McNeill.

Two other main characters would be natives of the Delta Quadrant, Falox and Kes. Falox would be a seedy Talaxian who the crew takes on as an expert on the local powers, while Kes, his companion, would act as a scout for the ship. They would, respectively, be portrayed by Ethan Phillips and Jennifer Gatti. [5]

The size of the cast was of some concern to Paramount, but after reassurances that not all cast members would appear in all stories, and reminding the executives of how many characters on Deep Space Nine were being brought back for the second season and likely beyond, these concerns were diminished somewhat. Nonetheless, the large cast for Odyssey would attract some attention.

Cast of Season One of Star Trek: Odyssey: [6]
  • Captain Katherine Janeway – Claudia Christian
  • Commander Chatan – Graham Greene
  • Commander (Gul) Evek – Nigel Havers
  • Lt. Tuvok – Tim Russ
  • Lt. (Glinn) Rejal – Tracy Scoggins
  • Lt. (j.g.) Kollin Torres – Kim Cattrall
  • Ensign Harry Kim – Garrett Wang
  • Ensign Nick Locarno – Robert Duncan McNeill
  • The Doctor – Robert Picardo
  • Falox – Ethan Phillips
  • Kes – Jennifer Gatti

To deal with the larger cast, while all would be credited in the opening credits, not all would appear in every story, and the cast would be paid on a by-story basis. There would be some recurring characters throughout the show in addition to the main cast, but due to the main cast’s size, these recurring characters would generally receive less attention than their counterparts on Deep Space Nine.

Much like its predecessor The Next Generation, Odyssey would enter first-run syndication, rather than making the move to network television that Deep Space Nine was making for its second season. The initial plan called for the show to run for eight seasons, in the vein of The Next Generation. [7]

The first, shorter, season would begin airing in January 1996, partway through Deep Space Nine’s third season.

[1] Odyssey, despite the near identical premise, will be very different to Voyager.
[2] As you can tell, the cast is pretty different. With Claudia Christian, we will have a different Janeway.
[3] Chakotay IOTL is a somewhat problematic character, especially when you read into the development. So, I've taken an opportunity to both fix that and fulfil my fascination with Lakota culture here. Now you know why I brought in the Lakota in DS9.
[4] Rejal is basically a rewrite of Scoggins' character in "Destiny" from DS9. She will be the chief engineer, rather than Torres. Speaking of which, I wanted to explore Romulan culture somewhat, rather than retread Klingon culture.
[5] Their characters more closely resemble their original design, Falox isn't a hugely likeable character by design, but the crew tolerates him because he's useful.
[6] A handy list for you (and me) to consult.
[7] TNG has set a precedent here.

Last edited:
Good to see Graham Greene on Trek ITTL, but one question I have is will he suffer a major depressive episode as he did 1997?

Last edited:

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
Good to see Graham Greene on Trek ITTL, but one question I have is will he suffer a major depressive episode as he did 1997?
Much as I love questions like these, it's really difficult to answer them as the writer. I'll tell you that I'm aware of it, but that telling you anything more definitely verges on spoilter territory, even telling you that it verges on spoiler territory.

You're still using the old name of "Neelix" here.
Is her first name still Gilora?
Edit: Also, I'm betting that she is the secret member of the Obsidian Order among the Cardassian crew.
You and me both, great author.
Thanks for catching the Neelix thing, I've corrected that.

Gilora is still Rejal's first name. It is, in effect, the same character, but in the military. The Obsidian Order will have a presence among the crew, but who it is will have to be revealed later.

I'm really fascinated by Romulan society, as out of the three "major" Alpha Quadrant powers, they're the least fleshed out, especially due to their naturally secretive and deceptive way of life. So I thought I'd give them the Spock treatment, rather than just have another series that explores Klingon society (not that I have anything against the Klingons). In fact, I'm planning on exploring a little more of quite a few Alpha Quadrant powers, and there's one in particular that will be mentioned in the next update. With both Deep Space Nine and Odyssey, we'll see species from all quadrants of the galaxy get a little time in the limelight. That's one of the things that I really look forward to about the prose thread that I'm starting to work on.

Russel Means working on Trek is awesome. A farcry from the phoney who had that job OTL. The native american stuff in Voyager always made me a little uncomfortable, since the writers changed Chakotay's tribe based on what they needed for the script, and the actor wasn't even tribal (nothing against Beltran). I assume Chakotay won't have any tattoos ITTL, but will he wear some thing else outside standard starfleet regulation to stay close to his heritage?

Odessey is turning into an interesting show indeed.

Surprised it goes to syndication instead of network, would have thought it might have stayed as the ‘2nd show’.

Claudia Christian as Janeway? Awesome.
Is Tuvok the same in terms of background? Having a Vulcan and Half-Romulan on the crew should be fun.
Any chance of a background Klingon in Starfleet please? Just to empathise that Worf was the first, not the only, plus they could be useful for another viewpoint character/lower decks episodes- perhaps an scientist?
Fixing the Native American elements= thank you
Will the Marquis be wearing non-Starfleet uniforms?
Hopefully Falox does not overstay his welcome.

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
Russel Means working on Trek is awesome. A farcry from the phoney who had that job OTL. The native american stuff in Voyager always made me a little uncomfortable, since the writers changed Chakotay's tribe based on what they needed for the script, and the actor wasn't even tribal (nothing against Beltran). I assume Chakotay won't have any tattoos ITTL, but will he wear some thing else outside standard starfleet regulation to stay close to his heritage?
Yeah, Beltran was a good actor, but a character like Chakotay really should have been played by somebody of that heritage. Lakota tribes didn't use tattoo, at least as far as my research has shown, so Chatan won't have tattoos. As I'll explain in a little bit, the uniform regulations on Odyssey won't be as strict as they are on other Starfleet vessels, because they can't waste the energy synthesizing new uniforms, and most of the crew aren't actually in Starfleet.

Will there be ant Stupid Falox Moments ITTL?
Falox will have some moments of comic relief, mainly stemming from his particularly alien nature, even compared to the other aliens on the ship. He won't be the Neelix of OTL, and if anything, will be a bit of a sleazeball that is only really there because his knowledge of the local space and species is too good to pass up. Over time, his knowledge of the immediate vicinity will diminsh though, as they get closer to the Alpha Quadrant. I'll put a bit on that below.

Odessey is turning into an interesting show indeed.

Surprised it goes to syndication instead of network, would have thought it might have stayed as the ‘2nd show’.

Claudia Christian as Janeway? Awesome.
Is Tuvok the same in terms of background? Having a Vulcan and Half-Romulan on the crew should be fun.
Any chance of a background Klingon in Starfleet please? Just to empathise that Worf was the first, not the only, plus they could be useful for another viewpoint character/lower decks episodes- perhaps an scientist?
Fixing the Native American elements= thank you
Will the Marquis be wearing non-Starfleet uniforms?
Hopefully Falox does not overstay his welcome.
Tuvok is basically the same character as OTL, which is another reason why I chose a half-Romulan. Not only is it a sort of mirror to Spock, showing how different the two cultures have become, but it will be one of the many things that adds tension.
As for a background Klingon, that may be coming sooner than you'd expect.
The Native American elements have always bothered me, especially with Chakotay's ever changing tribal affiliation.

Both the Maquis and Cardassian crews will wear non-Starfleet uniforms, though the uniforms will have a clear indication as to the provisional rank that they have been granted. The Cardassian attire will be slightly different, though I can only describe it, I'm no artist. I got the feeling that the Cardassian uniform we saw would be quite uncomfortable for the actors, and I didn't see any clear rank designation on it, so I think that they'll use a slightly more casual attire, with perhaps a unified uniform starting to appear in the crew over time as the groups begin to integrate, becoming something not quite Starfleet, Maquis or Cardassian.

Just a few things I wanted to say (that will likely make their way into updates at some point.

The Janeway of TTL will be written as being captain basically because the Odyssey is her ship and neither the Cardassiand or Maquis will serve under the captain of the other group, but that she often has to delegate to Evek and Chatan as they both have far more command experience than her. The command style will be more "open plan" than the strict "top-down" one we've seen before. This is a ship in a completely new situation, and it's going to have to act accordingly.

Also, as the Odyssey has the same design as Voyager from OTL, I'm making a few things about warp , speed and space different ITTL. Firstly, the nacelles are there to avoid the subspace issue, moving to modify the shape of the subspace bubble, rather than using the more brute force method of fixed nacelles, as a few beta canon sources say. On from this, a couple of things about the Enterprise-E. It's faster than the D, but not because the warp drive is more powerful. Much of the technology on the E isn't better than that of the D, but it is miniaturised. Becuase the E is a smaller ship, it has a smaller subspace profile, so the actual amount of subspace distortion from the bubble that can be produced safely is greater, so it has a greater cruising speed. It's also more powerful than the D, but that's just that Starfleet is getting more paranoid and is arming its ships better.

The size of the Federation is unclear in canon, but I'm saying that the 8000 cubic light years thing is wrong. Given the stellar density of the Milky Way round where we are, that would put the Federation at about 32 stars. So I'm saying that the Federation is 8000 light years across (furthest distance between two points in Federation space). Technically, that does mean that at warp 9, it would take out about 5 years 4 months to get from one edge to the other, but to me that makes more sense than the Federation being tiny. I'm going to say that the galaxy is on the larger end of the estimate of our range (the Milky Way is somewhere between 150 and 200 kilolightyears across). Odyssey will be flung about 100 thousand light years away, making the trip take about 70 years at Warp 9. I may make a diagram at some point. On a side note, this means that the Federation covers a miniscule portion of the galaxy. Not even 5% from end to end, and that's just diameter. There's plenty of strange new worlds to explore just in the neighbourhood.

Due to this, Falox will be of limited assistance in later seasons, if he sticks around that long, as we hit territory that's uncharted even for him. At that point, the crew may not tolerate him and his ways quite as much. While the trip will be 70 years to begin with, you can bet that with Odyssey meeting various species, seeing new technologies and having unexpected encounters, that amount may be cut down by shortcuts and warp core optimisations. They may well be able to push the ship to "unsafe velocities". (I rewatched Nemesis with my parents last night)

Speaking of speed, I'm using the power of 10/3 rule for my speeds. However, unlike in OTL, this doesn't become an exponential above here. the Warp 10 barrier is another barrier like the light barrier. Nobody's been able to get something to go faster than that, other than subspace communications. It will come up a few times in the show, but I promise you this: If they do break Warp 10, NOBODY IS TURNING INTO LIZARDS. Warp 10 isn't infinite speed, just as best they can tell, it requires infinite energy (sort of like our current knowledge of light speed). As subspace communications use massless subspace particles, their top speed is technically unlimited, but increasing the speed does require more and more power (just not infinite), and the signal has higher amounts of information loss at higher transmission speeds. God, I've been thinking too much about this. There's a good bit of "Creative Lisence - Physics" at work here, but at its heart, it's just Treknobabble.

Odyssey is giving me a chance to express my inner-inner nerd it would seem. I have some fun ideas for the show that will deal with certain things from actual physics. Finally, my degree I'm studying for is coming in handy! If there's a market for it, I may make a couple of proper Treknobabble updates for the Appendix.

By the way, first DS9 Season 2 update should be out today.

Speaking of speed, I'm using the power of 10/3 rule for my speeds. However, unlike in OTL, this doesn't become an exponential above here. the Warp 10 barrier is another barrier like the light barrier. Nobody's been able to get something to go faster than that, other than subspace communications. It will come up a few times in the show, but I promise you this: If they do break Warp 10, NOBODY IS TURNING INTO LIZARDS. Warp 10 isn't infinite speed, just as best they can tell, it requires infinite energy (sort of like our current knowledge of light speed). As subspace communications use massless subspace particles, their top speed is technically unlimited, but increasing the speed does require more and more power (just not infinite), and the signal has higher amounts of information loss at higher transmission speeds. God, I've been thinking too much about this. There's a good bit of "Creative Lisence - Physics" at work here, but at its heart, it's just Treknobabble.

To be honest, even the writer of that episode called it a "royal, steaming stinker." And when it's the writer saying that, that says something...

Chapter LIV: "The Twelfth Night"

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
Part II, Chapter LIV: "The Twelfth Night"

“There was a lot of pressure on us, knowing that we were going to be launching UPN. Of course, we knew what the story was going to be, and we couldn’t change it at that point. ‘Emissary’ had been a success as a pilot story, so we were confident that a lot of people would watch the opening story we wrote. Still, the fact that Paramount were counting on us to give the network a noteworthy launch was a bit daunting.”​
- Ira Stephen Behr, on the launch of Deep Space Nine’s second season. [1]

Originally, the plan had been for Deep Space Nine to begin airing during the usual season slot, beginning in September 1994, onto June 1995. However, plans for UPN’s new network launch interfered with that. Their plan to launch the network with the opener for the second season of Deep Space Nine was slightly altered, however, when fears were raised over whether new viewers would be able to follow on with the story. To rectify this, right before the second season opener “The Homecoming” was to air, they would show “Emissary” once more. The date of the premiere was set as Thursday 12th of January, 1995.

Many fans had taken issue with the fact that, with a few notable exceptions, Deep Space Nine did not seem to be going in the “brave new direction” that had been promised to the fans. The writers were eager to fix that, and decided to make a few changes to the show. Firstly, Ira Stephen Behr decided that the Gamma Quadrant needed a face, a dark mirror of the Federation. For this, they created the Dominion. The Dominion would not actually appear until the finale, “The Jem’Hadar”, but would be mentioned by various species throughout the season. Behr’s intent was to introduce them as recurring villains, culminating in war between them and the Federation in a few seasons time. [2]

In addition, the show would gain many recurring characters this season, in addition to those already introduced. Most important would be the ambassadors, from various major and local Alpha Quadrant powers. They would appear periodically to represent the interests of these powers in the Gamma Quadrant, as Deep Space Nine effectively acted as the border post and embassy. [3]

As a result of this, many minor species that had only been mentioned in passing, or not seen for a very long time would begin to make more appearances. Three of these species, representing “local minor powers” were the Breen, Tzenkethi and Tholians. In their design, while the Breen were humanoid, all three were made to be more alien, with the Breen and Tholians wearing encounter suits. In particular, the difficulty of operating the Tholian suit resulted in them making relatively few appearances, while the Tzenkethi required large amounts of heavy prosthetics and a full body rubber suit. [4]

The idea of the ambassadors came primarily from J. Michael Straczynski, who along with Ira Stephen Behr, was now running the show. Straczynski felt that his suggestions had largely been overlooked during the first season, but was being given a greater say in the story now. He had a large part in designing the species of the Gamma Quadrant, and in various Alpha Quadrant species that would appear in the background of the show. His aim was to make the show seem like there were actual aliens there, seeing a departure from “rubber forehead” prosthetics that the show had used for a long time. In addition, many species that had only made fleeting appearances or not at all in The Next Generation, such as Caitians, Andorians and Tellarites, would make a return. [5]

Another recurring character to be introduced this season was Klingon Starfleet officer Lt. K’Rene, first seen in the episode “Khitomer”. One of an increasing number of Klingon officers in Starfleet, K’Rene would transfer from the USS Khitomer to the Lakota in that story, becoming one of the recurring characters from that ship. Unlike many other Klingon officers seen before, she would be a scientist, acting as the science officer of the Lakota. American actress Virginia Madsen was cast in this role.

Controversially at the time, K’Rene and Jadzia were to enter into a relationship. While same-sex relationships had appeared in the franchise before, most notably with Dr. Henderson on The Next Generation, this would be the first time that both members were main or recurring characters. Dax would be revealed to be pansexual, with gender not playing a role in whether she is attracted to someone. [6]

The character of Dr. Julian Bashir would undergo some personality changes, as many fans, and Siddig El-Fadil, disliked his character in the first season. Given that he had been working on “the frontier” for a year now, it was decided that Amoros would have lost much of his “greenness”, and would have matured somewhat as a character. In addition, his friendships with Garak, O'Brien and Kelly would continue to be explored. [7]

Off the back of one successful season, despite some of the “Berman controversy” stemming from the show, the second season would be eagerly awaited, as it was to become the flagship show for UPN. Once more, the pressure would be great.

[1] Alright, every now and then I tie the title in to make a joke referring to the number of the chapter or something. This is one of those times. Twelfth Night is the play that popularised the name Olivia in the English-speaking world, and Olivia is often shortened to Liv, or LIV. Normally the references are obvious, but as I just do them to entertain myself, I thought I'd explain this one, as it's also why UPN launches on the 12th, not the 16th.
[2] The Dominion is something that won't be hugely different to OTL. The events involving them, however, are quite different.
[3] Yeah, this bit is also me adressing your criticisms, and doing something to fix them. I was planning on adding the Ambassadors, I've just done it a little earlier.
[4] I'm going with the Star Trek Online Tzenkethi look. Of course, this is 1995, so the special effects are prosthetic. But they look properly alien, and they are mentioned a few times, so I wanted to actually show them, as they're a local power. Also, Tholians are a personal favourite of mine. I like the less human looking aliens.
[5] I too felt that the "Berman era" was a little human-centric, even with how many alien species we saw. So I'm changing that, giving us more background characters that aren't human. In fairness, DS9 was pretty good at this IOTL, but still.
[6] So I'm adressing the request for another Starfleet Klingon, and also the question as to how Klingons would view homosexuality.
[7] I like Julian, so his character will change more earlier. I have big plans for him, and everyone else to be fair.

Last edited:
Gay Klingons....interesting. DS9 did have it's moment with that awesome lesbian kiss, but it's very good to see more of that. I think this rules out Worf appearing in DS9 except perhaps a guest appearance. I also like that the Klingon is a science officer too, that could be a catalyst for some good stories as it's not a respected position in Klingon society.

Given the...size? Of the STO Tzenkethi, I think from a production standpoint a who-esque rubber suit would be much easier than makeup.

I'm curious, how much of the rest of the Lakota bridge crew do we see? We talking Ayala in Voyager or O'Brien on TNG?

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
You mean the Tzenkethi there, right?
Not really, but I understand why you say that. The Breen and Tholians use full body encounter suits, but the Tzenkethi don't. I'd equate the Tzenkethi situation as being more akin to the Barzan or Benzite one, if that. What I gathered from Star Trek Online is that the suits they wore were armour, but not necessarily required.

Gay Klingons....interesting. DS9 did have it's moment with that awesome lesbian kiss, but it's very good to see more of that. I think this rules out Worf appearing in DS9 except perhaps a guest appearance. I also like that the Klingon is a science officer too, that could be a catalyst for some good stories as it's not a respected position in Klingon society.

Given the...size? Of the STO Tzenkethi, I think from a production standpoint a who-esque rubber suit would be much easier than makeup.

I'm curious, how much of the rest of the Lakota bridge crew do we see? We talking Ayala in Voyager or O'Brien on TNG?
This is the reason why I didn't include a Klingon character in Odyssey. I knew I wanted to continue to explore Klingon culture as per OTL's DS9, but in a different, more subversive way. The way I imagine Starfleet acting ITTL is actually something like the French Foreign Legion, in that anybody can sign up, they don't have to be a Federation citizen. That's how you get people like Ro Laren in, and why they don't have any issues in granting comissions to foreign nationals. We'll explore a fair bit around K'Rene, but suffice it to say, she's not overly welcome in Klingon society, not because of her sexuality, but rather her eschewing the warrior life. She's not your typical Klingon in all respects (though she is in some).

I'll remove makeup. I meant to infer that full body prosthetics were used, sort of a Morn situation but even more, but evidently, that isn't clear.

We'll see a decent amount of the Lakota's crew. It will be more like O'Brien, though obviously as the focus is on the space station for now, they'll apear less often than he did on TNG, unless there's a particular reason, like with K'Rene. The fans of TTL will probably know their names, rather than having to look up who Ayala is like I just did.

Ah,thanks for the clear up. If we're going off the STO model we've seen most of the Tzenkethi bulk isn't there armor

7d3010c11d08cf990b7614d2c2ca9098.png

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
Ah,thanks for the clear up. If we're going off the STO model we've seen most of the Tzenkethi bulk isn't there armor

7d3010c11d08cf990b7614d2c2ca9098.png
Yeah. The Tzenkethi are built strong, and from what I can tell, they've got an interesting form of government. Given that they're a local power with a history of antagonistic relations with the Federation, they could become important later on. That being said, I don't envy the person who has to wear the Tzenkethi prosthetic/suit ITTL. Probably gets hot in there.

beginning in September 1994, onto June 1005
Time travel isn't a foreign concept to Star Trek, but I don't think it ever achieved something quite like that.
Probably gets hot in there.
I'm not so sure. I've heard that sometimes they have a liquid cooling system under or built into the rubber suit, if the character is always going to be stationary so they can hide the coolant lines out of frame, but I don't know how common it is.

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
Time travel isn't a foreign concept to Star Trek, but I don't think it ever achieved something quite like that.
I'm not so sure. I've heard that sometimes they have a liquid cooling system under or built into the rubber suit, if the character is always going to be stationary so they can hide the coolant lines out of frame, but I don't know how common it is.
Thank you for pointing my date blunder out. I've been really clumsy with stuff like that recently, either that or you all are just picking up on it more.

My knowledge of the big rubber suits comes pretty much exclusively from wathing behind the scenes material from nu-Who. That being said, I'd imagine that as per usua, style is emphasised over comfort with them. I know that the Breen suits were a pain to use, as it was difficult to see or breathe inside it, and I could imagine that being an issue with the Tzenkethi outfit too. They may not overheat, but with costumes like that, you sort of have to weigh up how much you want the actor to be able to move, because motability decreases comfort options. The overheating comment was just conjecture, but I'd imagine that that could happen.

The overheating comment was just conjecture, but I'd imagine that that could happen.
I wouldn't be surprised either, thinking on it more.
I can't remember where I heard about a big rubber suit with a coolant system.
The only think I can remember right now is that when they were filming the '00's Fantastic Four movies outdoors in winter all of the actors were freezing, except for Michael Chiklis as The Thing, as the rubber suit added an extra inch or two of insulation around his whole body.