"Where Are We Going This Time": The Golden Age of Science Fiction

What should happen with the season summary updates?

• Continue as is (might delay other updates)

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Release them later, as supplementary material

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Cut out the OTL bits, only say what you've changed (might only be a temporary solution)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stop them completely

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The Odyssey, after arriving in the Delta Quadrant, would find two disables ships, one Cardassian, and one Maquis. After they become stranded, the three crews are forced to work as one, with open distrust between the groups. [3]

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!

[deep inhale]

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!

I like that TNG film, at least this time they won’t need to crash the ship.

Star Trek: Odyssey sounds interesting- having surviving Cardassians to interact with should allow for good tensions beyond the Marquis who just vanished into the crew. Hope you can get someone like Moore on the writing team. Old hands like Gerrold, or Fontana should have some fun stories to tell too. Will it be a 7 year story arc? If it’s going for syndication while DS9 headlines the network how does that work please?

How’s Trek doing in the merchandise and comics markets?

New Who season sounds good, I hope Cartmel gets his act together before he ruins it. Jacobi as the Master is superb casting. British bad guys again heh? Perhaps a sop to the BBC and British fans is come episodes filmed/set in the UK- perhaps a visit to Oxford Uni?

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
Jacobi as the Master is always good.

The rift and the university and such are giving me big new who vibes. I'm interested in where this is going.
The rift has been something I've considered for a little while, but I wanted a good reason to showcase it. When I decided on the dynamic between Nine and Jennifer, it made sense. I'm trying to be careful not to include too much "New-Who" stuff, as I want to give TTL's Doctor Who a unique feel.

Hopefully this is similar to the 12th doctors run IOTL. Good to see you making use of Jacobi, he only got one scene as the master proper iotl and he nailed it.

Also, I just noticed that Brooks is the 9th doctor....you have a good sense of humor or coincidence shines on you
Most Doctors ITTL won't have a direct comparison, but Nine's will draw somewhat from OTL Twelve's final season. Derek Jacobi is an amazingly talented actor, as are everyone else from that same cohort of classically trained actors (Ian McKellan, Judi Dench, etc.). I'm going to try to work them all in to the timeline at some point.

As for the "coincidence", I presume you are referring to the title of the last update. In which case, that was intentional. I've been doing that every now and then, keeps me entertained if nothing else.

I like that TNG film, at least this time they won’t need to crash the ship.

Star Trek: Odyssey sounds interesting- having surviving Cardassians to interact with should allow for good tensions beyond the Marquis who just vanished into the crew. Hope you can get someone like Moore on the writing team. Old hands like Gerrold, or Fontana should have some fun stories to tell too. Will it be a 7 year story arc? If it’s going for syndication while DS9 headlines the network how does that work please?

How’s Trek doing in the merchandise and comics markets?

New Who season sounds good, I hope Cartmel gets his act together before he ruins it. Jacobi as the Master is superb casting. British bad guys again heh? Perhaps a sop to the BBC and British fans is come episodes filmed/set in the UK- perhaps a visit to Oxford Uni?
I don't want to give too much away for now about Odyssey, but suffice it to say that my plans are for it to be what Voyager could have been. There really needs to be tension and conflict on the ship, and the Cardassians should add that. The arc will run for the entirety of the show, but as to how long that is is something I'm not going to tell just yet.

As for how it will be released, I've sort of swapped DS9 and Voyager's fates. While Voyager was the flagship show of UPN IOTL, DS9 was broadcast in syndication as TNG was. So while DS9 here gets to be UPN's big show, Voyager will take TNG's place in syndication. Paramount will likely negotiate a continuation of their deal with the smaller local networks that they can continue to broadcast reruns of older Star Trek shows free of charge provided that they purchase Odyssey to broadcast.

As for merchandise and comics, I intend to tackle merchandise a little down the line as I've had an idea with regards to that. Comics will be tacked in the upcoming update, but they are a little different to OTL. With Doctor Who also on television in the US, they will also be looking to gain a foothold in the comics market.

You'll have to see with the new season. Us Brits do seem to make the best baddies, and I seem to have been blessed (or cursed?) with an accent not too far from the "snarly English villain" accent. There are some concerns at the BBC that NBC are taking the control away from them though, and they may be reminding NBC that the BBC still owns the rights to the show, NBC is just allowed to produce it. It's a time of uncertainty for the show ITTL, and only time (well, me) will tell what will come of it.

One thing I hope you do: butterfly away River Phoenix's death from drug overdose ITTL; talk about tragic (and I wonder what River would have done had he lived--I could see him playing a villain in a Batman movie (1))...

(1) Hey, if his brother Joaquin could play the Joker very well, River could play the Joker well, too...

Chapter XLVIII: "A New Semester"

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
Part II, Chapter XLVIII: "A New Semester"

“With everything that happened, people at conventions often ask me how it was to be on set. My answer is that being on set I was pretty sheltered from the drama going on behind the scenes. The closest I got to that was writers expressing their frustration upon finding their scripts had been changed without their knowledge. Of course, I had an idea as to what was going on in the backrooms, but I wasn’t party to it.”​
- Winona Ryder, on the production of Season 28 of Doctor Who. [1]

Season 28 was important for Doctor Who, not that any season was unimportant. But with a new Doctor and companion, and the promises of a new bold story, expectations were high, and with the success of The Dark Dimension, the executives at NBC were expecting viewership to be higher than ever.

The chemistry between Avery Brooks and Winona Ryder was clear, and fans were eager to see how they would work together on screen. It had been made clear that the relationship between the two characters would be unlike any pairing in the show’s past, as Brooks’ Ninth Doctor would act as a sort of ‘teacher’ to Jennifer.

Season 28 of Doctor Who began airing on Sunday 15th May 1994. It was the seventh of the revival series.

List of Episodes of Season 28 of Doctor Who:
  1. A New Semester (Part 1)​
  2. A New Semester (Part 2)​
  3. A New Semester (Part 3)​
  4. Train of Thought (Part 1)​
  5. Train of Thought (Part 2)​
  6. Peer Review (Part 1)​
  7. Peer Review (Part 2)​
  8. The Tooth (Part 1)
  9. The Tooth (Part 2)
  10. Packed to the Rafters (Part 1)​
  11. Packed to the Rafters (Part 2)​
  12. Most Improved Player (Part 1)​
  13. Most Improved Player (Part 2)​
  14. The Nostalginauts (Part 1)
  15. The Nostalginauts (Part 2)
  16. Remnants (Part 1)​
  17. Remnants (Part 2)​
  18. All For One (Part 1)​
  19. All For One (Part 2)​
  20. We, the Machines (Part 1)
  21. We, the Machines (Part 2)
  22. When You Go (Part 1)​
  23. When You Go (Part 2)​
  24. Homecoming (Part 1)​
  25. Homecoming (Part 2)​
  26. Homecoming (Part 3)​
Bold text indicates a story by @The Chimera Virus

Cast of Season 28 of Doctor Who:
  • The Ninth Doctor – Avery Brooks​
  • Jennifer Marsh – Winona Ryder​
  • The Master – Derek Jacobi​
  • The Monk – Eric Idle​
  • Romana – Lalla Ward​

Season 28 of Doctor Who received mixed reviews on first release. The writing was criticised in places, as changes that showrunner Carmel had made were obvious, and tended to disrupt the flow of the story. The performances of Brooks and Ryder, however, drew great praise, with many commenting on Brooks’ “inspired mix” of comedy and drama. To many, the Doctor seemed more “alien” than he had since the Fourth Doctor. [2]

Despite the quality of the acting, the writing issues resulted in a steep drop-off in audience viewership. While the first story, “A New Semester”, saw 15% of American households tuning in, the numbers had dropped to 7% by mid-season. There was a mild increase towards the end of the season, but it did not recover from the initial drop. This made it, technically, the weakest season of the show so far in the US.

NBC were adamant something needed to change, and it was clear, given the backstage quarrels, that that thing was Andrew Cartmel. While the executives were willing to give him one more chance, they made it clear that if ratings did not improve sufficiently by the end of the following season, he would be out of a job. NBC had seen how successful Doctor Who could be with the right cast and crew, and were determined to get it back to that point. They would much rather replace people on the show than have to cancel the show itself. [3]

So, as 1994 drew to a close, the future of Doctor Who was uncertain once more.

[1] A bit more of a glimpse as to exactly what's going on between Cartmel and the other writers. I don't think Cartmel is a particularly bad writer though, I just see his plans clashing with what some of the other writers want.
[2] Take this how you like. I like it when the Doctor seems alien, but some people don't. A little more on this soon.
[3] I don't think this season is particularly weak, but just not as good as it could or should have been. People dislike change, and Cartmel is big on that here. As a result of this, next season will have some changes.

Well, @Timelordtoe, at least this season of Doctor Who wasn't Season 6 of Saturday Night Live (look that up sometime; if it hadn't been for Eddie Murphy (whom Jean Doumanian, the then-executive producer of SNL, opposed hiring--she only hired him after others fought her for him), that would have been SNL's last season)...

I get the feeling I would like the Avery Brooks era of doctor who. I really liked the twelfth doctor from the start and he seems to be very similar.

Overview of Season 28 of Doctor Who

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
Overview of Season 28 of Doctor Who

“This wasn’t exactly what I was expecting when you mentioned ‘extra-curricular research activities’, Professor.”​
“I imagine not. But you seem to be enjoying yourself."​
“Is your life always this dangerous?”​
“I prefer the term exciting, but basically, yes.”​
- Jennifer and the Doctor discuss their situation during A New Semester.

A New Semester
Jennifer Marsh is a junior at the University of Washington, where she studies physics. Upon returning to her university for her final quarter of the year, she finds that her Nuclear Physics professor has changed unexpectedly. The new Professor, a man who prefers just to be called “the Doctor”, does not act like any of her other professors, and nobody seems to know much about him. She decides to follow him after her late class, but he disappears around a corner.​

The following day, the Doctor is missing, raising her suspicions even further. Meeting with some friends later, she hears that some of the staff in the Chemistry department are beginning to act strangely as well, after disappearing for days at a time. She suspects that the two are related, and decides to continue her investigation. She borrows one of her friends’ access cards to see if anything is happening in the Chemistry labs. She finds nothing out of the ordinary, but when she leaves, she is spotted by the Doctor, who approaches her. He had spotted her sneaking around campus the past two nights, and presents an opportunity to put those skills to ‘good use’ in an ‘extra-curricular research activity’. She accepts.​

After her class with the Doctor the next day, he mentions that he needs her to go with him back to the Chemistry labs, to provide a distraction so that the Doctor can confirm his suspicions about an experiment being conducted. The Doctor acquires the data he needs, and tells Jennifer that the Chemistry department are making a new kind of plastic, and he suspects alien involvement. Jennifer refuses to believe that aliens are involved, so the Doctor takes her to the TARDIS, revealing that he is not human.​

The Doctor suspects that the Nestene Conciousness has taken control of the new plastic, and is replacing the Chemistry staff with highly realistic plastic duplicates. In order to stop them, the Doctor decides that he will let himself be captured, urging Jennifer to stay behind. The Doctor returns to the lab, making a lot of noise in order to reveal his location. Three Autons find him, and they take him to a secret facility underneath the building. Unbeknownst to all, Jennifer has followed them.​

The Doctor is brought in front of the Nestene Consciousness, noting how cold the basement is. He hypothesises out loud that the new plastic the Autons are made of is highly heat-sensitive. Jennifer overhears this, and finds the boiler room, turning up the heat. The Autons begin to malfunction, and the Doctor is able to escape, finding Jennifer. He reveals he suspected he would follow him, as “when I tell people to stay put, it’s very rare they actually do”. They return to the lab, and the Doctor uses the equipment there to synthesize a compound he refers to as “anti-plastic”.​

With the anti-plastic in hand, the Doctor and Jennifer go back down, confronting the Consciousness once more, and the Doctor gives it a chance to leave Earth before he uses the compound. The Consciousness refuses, believing the Doctor to be bluffing. The doctor pours the compound onto the Consciousness, and it writhes as it breaks down from the anti-plastic. The remaining Autons deactivate.​

Jennifer asks the Doctor why he was there if he wasn’t sure of alien involvement. He reveals he was asked to keep an eye on the University and the Rift it stands on by UNIT, who had received reports of missing staff. He offers Jennifer the chance to see “all of time and space”, to help in her studies and as a favour for saving him. She accepts the offer, and the Doctor asks her where she wants to go first.​

Train of Thought
The TARDIS arrives in Seattle in 2240, and Jennifer marvels at the technological wonders of this new age of mankind. However, the Doctor seems distracted, and loses track of Jennifer. Jennifer finds herself alone in an unfamiliar landscape, but is given shelter by a group calling themselves “Clarity”. Clarity are a highly xenophobic group, who are using a device to disrupt non-human thought patterns throughout the city. The Doctor desperately searches for Jennifer, battling with his mind, while Jennifer tries to stop Clarity from deploying a device that would extend the field of effect to the whole planet, causing worldwide chaos.​

Peer Review
Back in 1994, the Doctor has to attend a conference, as he still works for the University of Washington. Initially bored by the conference, his interest is piqued when a scientist claims to have found a method to create nuclear fusion, decades in advance of when he remembers humanity developing the technology. Meanwhile, Jennifer is approached by a man who claims to be an “old friend” of the Doctor, who wishes to reconcile. Upon meeting this man, the Doctor recognises him as the Master, an old foe. While the Master claims to have changed his ways, the Doctor remains sceptical of this claim.​
Guest Star: Sir Derek Jacobi as the Master​

The Tooth by @The Chimera Virus
The Doctor brings Jennifer to the Homeworld Heritage Museum, a 25th Century installation dedicated to the full (well, known) history of planet Earth. Everything available from human, Silurian, and Sea Devil civilization is represented with actual artifacts or detailed replicas. To the Doctor's surprise, he's detained upon entry by security forces and brought to the curator of the museum, the Silurian Doctor Efraas Sicarian, with whom the Doctor is acquainted from his last two incarnations. Sicarian informs him that they've recently been burgled - specifically, subfossil teeth from the shootout at the O.K. Corral, one of which belonged to the Doctor. Sil was behind the robbery, and given Time Lord teeth retain DNA for some time… Sil may be poised to alter his species' DNA in such a way that they could pose a threat to the stability of time. Putting Jennifer's education on the backburner, the two make to hunt down Sil and stop him before he irrevocably alters the status quo of the universe.​
Guest Star: Nabil Shaban as Sil​

Packed to the Rafters
Jennifer joins an amateur dramatics society at the university, where she is cast in a production of “Glorious”, a dramatisation of the events of the Glorious Revolution in England. To help her to prepare for her role as Queen Anne, the Doctor offers to rake her to watch the events as they unfold. However, the Doctor finds that societies attitudes towards his new body are not as open as they once were, and struggles to cope with the difference. To further complicate matters, King James seems to have fore-knowledge of these events, and the Doctor begins to suspect that he and Jennifer may not be the only time-travellers visiting England.​

Most Improved Player
Returning to 1994 Washington, the Doctor continues his work monitoring the Rift that sits underneath the city. Meanwhile, Jennifer finds that her travels with the Doctor have affected her studies, and her grades are beginning to slip, not to mention that she has difficulty in telling what day of the week it is. Her classmates are beginning to question what exactly the “extra-curricular research” she is doing with the Doctor is, and her friends stage an intervention to help with her studies. While Jennifer works to get her education back on track, the Doctor is concerned by an increase in Rift activity, suggesting that something big is about to come through. With Jennifer preoccupied, the Doctor may have to face this new threat alone.​

The Nostalginauts by @The Chimera Virus
Four friends, John, Diane, Aaron, and Xavier receive the offer of a lifetime: to be the inaugural test subjects for the Nostalginaut program, headed by Professor Bruno Carthusian. The group is sent back to 1984 to relive what John calls the "good ol' days." Xavier, however, is bitter over the Reagan government's many infidelities and initial callous disregard of the AIDS crisis. He plans to use this opportunity to assassinate Ronald Reagan with the help of a clandestine organization with similar views. Thrown into the deep end from the moment they step out of the TARDIS and framed for murder, can the Doctor and Jennifer solve the mystery of the Nostalginauts and stop the assassination of President Reagan?​
Guest Stars: Eric Idle as the Monk/"Professor Bruno Carthusian," Phil Hartman as President Ronald Reagan, and Philip Seymour Hoffman as Xavier​

Remnants
The Doctor decides to take Jennifer to an alien planet for a change, offering up multiple different choices. Jennifer chooses to visit Raxobor, a resort planet in the far future. However, the TARDIS has difficulty landing, and when it does, they find that the planet is in ruins. Unable to travel back to the point where it was destroyed, they must piece together what exactly happened to the planet, and try to find a way to stop it before it can happen. While things seem to be going smoothly at first, the matter is further complicated by the reappearance of the Master in the remaining logs, leading the Doctor to suspect that he played a part in the destruction.​
Guest Star: Derek Jacobi as the Master​

All For One
When the Jaxx emerge from the Rift and begin attacking the University of Washington, the Doctor and Jennifer put together a rag-tag resistance group to fight back the invaders. The Doctor suspects that the Jaxx have come for an artefact he carries aboard the TARDIS, a Gallifreyan device from the earliest days of Time Lord society. His relationship with Jennifer is strained when he becomes increasingly hostile when questioned about the device or its creator. As the Jaxx overrun more and more of the university, the Doctor realises he may be forced to resort to methods he would not normally in order to save Jennifer and her friends.​

We, the Machines by @The Chimera Virus
The Doctor and Jennifer arrive in Devix, a country on the planet Zegraeshia where the Doctor has an old friend, Lark Thomasson. While he's visiting Thomasson, Jennifer explores and comes to grow irritated by the way Zegraeshia treats its AIs as little more than slaves. She asks one of the higher-functioning AIs about what they can explain about the current state of racism in the galaxy. To her horror, the AI explains that racism, bigotry, and all related topics are forbidden for the AIs to access. Jennifer runs to tell the Doctor who, through some logical loopholes, makes the AI access the information and spread it through the network... In short order, the AIs declare that they will either have equal rights, or they will exterminate all organics from this section of space entirely. In the end, the Doctor and Jennifer barely save the day, but the Doctor hard-codes the drive for equal rights into the AIs' source code, ensuring that things won't just revert to how they were before.​

When You Go
Returning to Washington, Jennifer receives an urgent message that her grandfather is in hospital, dying. On his deathbed, he gives Jennifer an old fob watch, hinting that he is somehow aware of her travels with the Doctor, whom he seems to recognise. After the funeral, Jennifer questions the Doctor as to whether he had met her grandfather before, but the Doctor seems as confused as she is. The Doctor takes the watch to the TARDIS, using it to navigate back to Seattle in 1946. There, they run into Jennifer’s grandfather once more when they meet him at the port. Together, they find evidence of aliens being smuggled into the city, and try to put a stop to it.​

Homecoming
As the new academic year is about to begin, in the TARDIS, Jennifer asks the Doctor whether they will continue their travels together. Before he can answer, however, the TARDIS is recalled to Gallifrey by an unknown force. The Doctor and Jennifer leave the TARDIS, finding themselves before Lady President Romana of Gallifrey. The Doctor introduces Romana as an old friend, expressing surprise that she has decided to remain on Gallifrey after he removed the threat to the Web of Time.​

Romana reveals that by destroying the Chronovore, he did not remove the threat to time, but merely delayed its threats. Romana has been receiving visions of Gallifrey’s destruction at the hands of a coalition of her enemies, and of secret chambers throughout Gallifrey. Time Lord scientists have found evidence of some of these chambers, but are unable to open them. She asks that the Doctor investigate.​

The Doctor ventures down to the chambers, while Romana talks with Jennifer, showing her around the city. The Doctor reaches the door to the chamber, spotting what appears to be a biometric scanner. The door scans him, then opens. As he ventures in, avoiding traps that have lain dormant for millions of years, he finds documents from Gallifrey’s ancient history, mentioning the three “founding fathers” of Gallifrey: Rassilon, Omega, and an “Other” whose name has been either lost or destroyed. While these names are familiar to the Doctor, he also finds mentions of artefacts created by “the Other”, similar to those made by Rassilon.​

He returns to the surface, sharing his findings with Romana, who orders that the chambers be searched fully. The Doctor and Jennifer accompany the search party, as the traps reactivate, slowly picking off members as they venture deeper into the labyrinthine tunnels. At the end, they find a message from the Other, revealing that they destroyed their artefacts, fearing that they would be used by power-hungry Time Lords.​

Romana is disappointed by this revelation, but seems more intrigued as to why the door seemed to recognise the Doctor, suggesting that the Other had foreknowledge of what was to come and programmed the door to let him in. Romana lets the Doctor go, but reminds him that if her visions come true, and Gallifrey is threatened by this coalition, she will expect the Doctor to fight to protect his home. The Doctor departs with Jennifer, amid growing tension. Jennifer asks the Doctor if he knows why the door opened for him. He says he does not, but seems to be hiding something.​

Not the most action filled season, I know. Especially with the finale. Next season will be interesting though, both from a production and story perspective. I needed to start planting some plot seeds here, so some of my stories aren't the best. Anyway, as per usual, any questions, just ask, I'll be happy to answer.

Last edited:

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
I get the feeling I would like the Avery Brooks era of doctor who. I really liked the twelfth doctor from the start and he seems to be very similar.
The Twelfth Doctor is my joint favourite (with the Eighth), and I've used elements here. I'll delve a little into what the Ninth Doctor is like next update, which will be his character profile. There are parallels drawn, but of course, as they're written from an in-timeline perspective, I won't be overt with them.

What's the Brook's Doctor TARDIS interior like?
I actually hadn't given a huge amount of thought to it, or a sonic screwdriver, as they're difficult to describe, and I don't want to reuse stuff from OTL too much. In my head, I think Nine's TARDIS interior will look something like Paul McGann's from the TV movie. I think the TARDIS would double as an office, and so it would be more furnished.

That's actually made me think a bit as to what TTL's other Doctors TARDISes would look like. I'll get back to you on that. It might be deserving of its own update in the appendix at some point down the line.

Very curious to see what you do with the other, one of the more infuriating dropped who plots.

Lloyd's Tardis would probably be similarly aesthetically to the delorean time machine and Doc Brown's workshop from otl's back to the future.

Last edited:
(DW) The Ninth Doctor - Profile

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
The Ninth Doctor (1994-1995)

Ninth Doctor 2.jpg

Avery Brooks
Avery Brooks as the Ninth Doctor, taken from Season 29 story "The Man Behind the Mask". [1]​

The Ninth Doctor was portrayed by American actor Avery Brooks, only the second non-British actor to play the role. Before his casting, he was best known as Hawk from the franchise Spenser: For Hire. Despite the fact that he was not the first, the casting of an American actor in the role of the Doctor was controversial.

Response to the Ninth Doctor was more mixed than his predecessors. In this incarnation, the Doctor would in many ways, seem more alien, and had far fewer action scenes, with the show taking a more subdued but darker approach to the story. As a result, some fans felt alienated by this shift in tone, and viewing figured dipped accordingly. In more recent times, the fan reaction has been more positive, and has become a more “cult classic” type of Doctor. [2]

Avery Brooks would admit in later interviews that he was surprised by the reaction to his portrayal at the time, as while he received praise for his acting, may disliked the characterisation. Nonetheless, Brooks said that it was one of his favourite roles to portray, and has returned to reprise it on many occasions, both officially and unofficially. [3]

The Ninth Doctor would see the Doctor take on a more sedentary role, as during the entirety of his run, he also worked as a professor of nuclear physics at the University of Washington, in order to keep an eye on the Rift nearby for UNIT. Accordingly, his attire was different to any of his predecessors, and tended to blend in better with other humans, though not in personality. The majority of the time, he wore a white collared shirt with a black waistcoat, though he would occasionally be seen in a longer brown shirt with a Mandarin collar.

In contrast to many of his previous incarnations, the Ninth Doctor had no real desire to appear human, making no secret of his alien heritage to people that he encountered. His sometimes impersonal and unfeeling demeanour would, at times, put him at odds with his companion, Jennifer, but he would open up more with time.

Due to his work at the University of Washington during this incarnation, the TARDIS would undergo a major redesign from the more simplistic designs of the Seventh and Eighth Doctors, with the console room being much larger, and doubling as an office for the Doctor. This larger console room would be carried over to the Tenth Doctor and later, though the furnishings would be different in each incarnation. [4]

His first “full canon” appearance was at the beginning of “A New Semester”, though where exactly this occurs within this Doctor’s lifetime is never explicitly stated, as the Doctor does not experience any post-regenerative trauma. Many “grey-canon” sources would flesh out the time before this, showing new companions and adventures. During his time on-screen, the Ninth Doctor would have only one companion, Jennifer, played by Winona Ryder.

Brooks’ run as the Doctor would see his other skills put to use, as he had an opportunity to showcase his musical talents, particularly his past work in opera, in the Season 29 story “The Crooner”. He would also become the first, and to date only, actor to both portray the Doctor and direct an episode of the show. [5]

Following his time on the show, Brooks would make relatively few television or film appearances, working on stage and on documentaries. In addition, he would continue to teach theatre at Rutgers University, a job he would draw on his experiences during his time on the show. [6]

Many years after his departure from the role, the Ninth Doctor still remains a divisive figure among fans, often appearing at the extremes of rankings of the incarnations. [7]

[1] Why yes, that photo is from "Our Man Bashir", the same episode of DS9 I got the photo for the Eighth Doctor profile from.
[2] I don't like making strict equivalences between OTL and TTL Doctors, but there's a decent pattern to TTL's 7, 8 and 9. They mirror a run of three Doctors from OTL, but telling you which would be a bit spoilery.
[3] There's nothing quite like BBV in TTL, but things like Devious will still be made. Expect it to be a bit like how Star Trek used to be with New Voyages, Renegades and the like, they're tolerated by the BBC provided they don't try to pass themselves off as official work.
[4] An answer to a question by @Ogrebear, which I had alreadyanswered. I just wanted to make it "canon" by putting it in an update.
[5] I like his music and directing work, so why not include both, I thought.
[6] This is one of the reasons I made the Doctor also a professor here, because the actor is also a professor. This sort of mirrors his post-Trek career from OTL.
[7] Sort of like the Twelfth Doctor. A lot of fans really like him (as will TTL's version of me), but some just don't like him and were a bit turned off.

Last edited:
(META) One Year In

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
"Where Are We Going This Time?": One Year and One Hundred Thousand Words In

Well, a little over on both counts, but I wanted to make sure that I knew what I wanted to say, as this is the first “meta” update. I started posting this timeline on the 10th of January 2019, and one year and two weeks later, I thought I’d do a little retrospective. It’s pretty lucky that we recently hit 100k words in the timeline (the threadmarked posts, that is). Consider this like a director's commentary for the posts done so far. Well, for me, it feels like I’ve been working on this for more than a year, but that’s because I have. This all stemmed from a conversation I had with a couple of friends about how easy it would be to change Back to the Future into a Doctor Who story, and I thought I’d try my hand at writing it. Then, about a year later, I started putting it on this forum.

This may or may not come as a surprise to some of you, but at the beginning, I thought I’d be done writing it by now. There’s two main reasons why that hasn’t happened. 1. My mood and creative ability has been all over the place this past year, and I don’t like writing when it feels like I’m not going to be putting out good stuff. 2. The scope of the timeline has expanded significantly since its inception.

My first draft for this timeline, which remains unfinished, went up to the year 2001, and it was a purely Doctor Who timeline, more in the vein of “Who is the Doctor?” and “The Doctor is Who?”, both of which are great timelines I recommend checking out. Star Trek was going to play a peripheral role, only occasionally mentioned, and each Doctor would only have a couple of updates. Suffice it to say, the purview has expanded somewhat. The next two updates are focussing on the comics industry and Disney respectively, neither of which are things I was planning on tackling.

So, why the change? Well, I just really enjoyed writing the timeline, and when I began work on the second draft, I found that I wanted to flesh things out more, and we ended up with what we have now. I’m pretty happy with how it’s turned out so far, even if we’re not at the point I thought I’d be a year ago. As mentioned before, my mood and mental state has been all over the place (I’m pretty sure you could plot a graph of my mood based on how often I update this). But I’m in a much better place now than I have in years, though I don’t want to go too much into personal stuff here.

Originally, each part was going to be about the same length as Part I is, that is, somewhere between 10-20 actual “chapters”. As you can see, that’s no longer the case, as Part II is shaping up to be about 5x the length of the first one. We’ve been in Part II for almost a year now, but I intend to get us into Part III soon enough.

So, as a belated treat for the one year anniversary, I thought that I’d tell you, my loyal and fantastic readers, some of the places we didn’t go this time, so to speak. It’s primarily casting that I altered at various points, but there are a few other changes. So, fully aware of the fact that these parts of the updates are effectively ATLs of an ATL, let’s begin.

1: The Sixth Doctor’s films/the Amblin era
The first film, Back to the Future, is basically unchanged, but the second and third films are very different to how they were in my original plan. The second film, The Cyber Invasion, was initially going to be an adaptation of the classic series story The Dalek Invasion of Earth, but taking place in Hill Valley. The Doctor and Marty would be joined by a girl from this future, Eve, who would exist as a “temporal anomaly” after the events of the film were averted, and she was technically never born.

The third film, which ITTL is The Mad Dog Gang, was pretty much going to be the 1996 TV Movie Doctor Who. The Sixth Doctor would play a relatively small role, after being shot at the start. It wouldn’t be until the end that he regenerated. The film would have also seen the return of the Master, this time played by Peter Cushing. I decided against both the story and the casting in the end, at the insistence of my friend @Drorac, who read my first draft and gave me feedback.

2: The Seventh Doctor’s Actor
The actors for the Seventh Doctor’s companions have remained the same throughout all iterations of this timeline, though why and when Tom Hanks signed on varied a little. Despite this, who I had to play the Seventh Doctor changed a lot. Initially, I cast Sean Bean, until I realised another timeline had already done it better than I could, and that he was pretty much completely unknown at the time of his “casting”. So Sean Bean got the boot.

Then, it was Anthony Stewart Head, but after bouncing the idea off of another couple of people, it was clear that we thought he would work better in a villainous capacity, as he did in School Reunion. But that line of thinking got me onto the possibility of Hugh Laurie, who, as you all know, was the final choice ITTL.

3: The Eighth Doctor’s Arc and Companions
I can’t go into a huge amount of detail for these last two, as elements of them touch on things that I haven’t covered yet in the timeline. So, originally, the Eighth Doctor was going to have the arc that I’m exploring with the Ninth Doctor. But I realised that that left me with nothing really to do with the Ninth Doctor, at least, nothing I could think of. His companions were different too, as were much of the other cast. For starters, the Monk was not originally going to be a recurring villain.

Originally, the Eighth Doctor was going to have two companions, Alex and Jeremy, played by Courtney Cox and Matthew Perry respectively. The Ninth Doctor’s companion was originally going to be Bernice Summerfield, played by Lisa Boweman (I was pretty unoriginal with this one). Alex and Bernice were reworked into Isabella and Rachel respectively.

4: Benjamin Sisko’s Actor
A shorter one here, but originally, Benjamin Sisko ITTL was going to be Peter Capaldi. I decided against this because it meant that certain stories I really liked and planned to reuse or work in another way would have to be dropped or rewritten in a way that would, in all likelihood, have been pretty janky. So Laurence Fishburne became Sisko, and I kept Capaldi in as Captain Sheridan, one of the few Babylon 5 elements (though barely) that I included in the first season of DS9. (Again, that will be different from here).

So, there’s a few things that you probably didn’t know about the timeline. I apologise I this isn’t what you were hoping for when you saw that I’d posted a new update. This is something I’ve wanted to do for a while, to show you the roads we didn’t go down. There likely won’t be an update tomorrow, as I’m busy (but with some brilliant stuff, that I hope will mean I can get back to posting more frequently).

This is cliché, but I really wouldn’t have been able to get this far without all of you continuing to read and interact. This past month has been the best for me in terms of writing, with all of you sending me messages, and I’ve finally hit the stuff I’ve really been wanting to get into.

So, one year in, we’re at 1994, and I have plans up to 2023. Let’s hope it doesn’t take three more years to get there. I wish you all the best, and I’ll see you soon with some more actual canon update stuff. See you around.

Timelordtoe

I don't think any of us are going to complain if it does. It just means that you've covered plenty of interesting things on the way there.
Seconded, the quality of the thread makes it more than worthwhile.

There were a couple things I wanted to ask in regards to superhero related media. First is if both the X-Men and Batman animated series exist in some form on the Fox Kids block, which were a big part of any 90s kid's childhoods. Second is if you would be open to suggestions for a potential Green Lantern film. CGI should make it possible by the late 90s at the earliest. It's one of the superhero franchises that overlaps perfectly with science fiction and the right cast, director, and script could make it a blockbuster to remember.

Enjoying the read @Timelordtoe - keep it coming whenever you can. I'll be reading.

Will there be any more original cast Trek movies? If not then perhaps they can live on in animation, perhaps something like this, but earlier?

Unless Takei gets his Star Trek: Excelsior series?

Enjoying the read @Timelordtoe - keep it coming whenever you can. I'll be reading.

Will there be any more original cast Trek movies? If not then perhaps they can live on in animation, perhaps something like this, but earlier?

I kinda want Takei to become president ittl, but I doubt we'll delve much into politics here.

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
Seconded, the quality of the thread makes it more than worthwhile.

There were a couple things I wanted to ask in regards to superhero related media. First is if both the X-Men and Batman animated series exist in some form on the Fox Kids block, which were a big part of any 90s kid's childhoods. Second is if you would be open to suggestions for a potential Green Lantern film. CGI should make it possible by the late 90s at the earliest. It's one of the superhero franchises that overlaps perfectly with science fiction and the right cast, director, and script could make it a blockbuster to remember.
My initial thought was that the presence of the X-Men films would butterfly the animated series, but now I think it actually makes it more likely. It will be different due to the films though. We'll see a bit more in the update itself. As for a Green Lantern film, I could see it being possible, especially with how the special effects were at the time. We'll have to see with that, though.

I've considered the pitch for the series based around the voyages of the Excelsior. After this sixth film, I don't have any more TOS crew films planned, but I think that I'll be doing stuff you like. Obviously, I don't want to give too much away right now, but the 00s will be an interesting time.

I kinda want Takei to become president ittl, but I doubt we'll delve much into politics here.
I would kinda prefer if we didn't since it's nice to have a timeline that just focuses on pop culture, but it's really up to timelordtoe.
I almost certainly won't touch on politics. It's not that I don't want to write politics, in fact I'm working on another timeline that is far more political, but I probably won't start releasing it for a while. There were a couple of things that I was considering doing with the timeline that would have involved politics, but I've decided against them. I really just wanted this to be a pop culture timeline. So as far as the politics of TTL go, I'd say to use your own headcanon. The only things I might touch on are LGBT rights, which due to shows taking a harder stance, are a little better currently in the timeline. I'll probably make another supplemental update on that soon, before the end of Part II.

But if you're thinking about a political career for George Takei, I don't think that a run for Governor of California in 2006 to oppose Schwarzenegger would be out of the question, which could, understandably, lead to a presidential run. It would be a few firsts, the first Japanese-American president, the first Buddhist president, and the first (at least openly) LGBT president. Doubtless, it would be an interesting presidency. Due to his anglophilia, I could see the "special relationship" blossom. I quite like the idea, but I probably won't make it "full canon", just to avoid too much politics in the timeline, I want this to be almost exclusively pop-culture.

Quick Edit:
By the way, the thing I thoguht would happen today happened, and I'm in a great mood. Feeling really creative, and looking forward to doing some more writing on this.

Last edited: