"Where Are We Going This Time": The Golden Age of Science Fiction

What should happen with the season summary updates?

• Continue as is (might delay other updates)

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Release them later, as supplementary material

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Cut out the OTL bits, only say what you've changed (might only be a temporary solution)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stop them completely

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Part II: "Just On The Border of Your Waking Mind" (1988-1995)

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
Part II: "Just On The Border of Your Waking Mind"

“Oh yes, the rivalry was real to start with, especially with Denise working on the show. But we soon found that we had much the same audience, and before we knew it, people were starring in one show, then appearing in the other. There’s a real sense of camaraderie between our two franchises now.”​

- Marina Sirtis, taken from a 1993 interview.

“I’m not sure what anybody thought was going to happen going into the nineties, with the fall of the Iron Curtain, but there seemed to be a real feeling of hope in America at least. In the end, we got a decade full of camp fun with serious drama.”​

- allohistory.com user GallifreyHands on a thread titled “AHC: Change the culture of the 1990s significantly’”. [1]

“The musical looked like it was going to be mainly an animated thing going into the 1990s, but we managed to change that. Not that there weren’t live action musicals before, they were just less common. Now, it seems like every summer there are two or three blockbuster films based on some concept album or a musical.”​

- Andrew Lloyd-Webber, taken from a 2008 interview. [2]

“I loved working on that show. Admittedly, I was somewhat typecast for a while afterwards, but it really helped me go from a pure comedic actor to more serious work that I do today. Comedy is really a young man’s game.”​

- Hugh Laurie, taken from An Adventure in Space and Time. [3]

[1] Part II will cover 1988-1995(-ish). Many thing will happen as OTL, but many will not.
[2] You'll come to see that this is hardly due to his influence alone, but he would probably say this.
[3] The last part is paraphrasing an actual Hugh Laurie quote. Given the time frame, I hardly think its a spoiler to reveal he won't be around forever, but he will stay for a while.

Chapter I: "Handle With Care"

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
Part II, Chapter I: "Handle With Care"

“George and I had this wild idea of making a rock group out of us and a few mates. Bob and Roy were obvious picks, but it was really just sheer luck that we got Tom on board with it. We started as a bunch of guys jamming, and ended up with a really successful group.”​

- Jeff Lynne on the foundation of “The Traveling Wilburys”.

Beginning as an idea from George Harrison during the production of his album Cloud Nine, the Traveling Wilburys were a supergroup comprised of George Harrison, Jeff Lynne, Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison and Tom Petty.

In contrast to many of the supergroups that preceded them, there was little ego in the supergroup, as the five were friends before the project. According to Petty, the criteria for inclusion in the group was being someone “who you could hang out with”.

The group first convened to record a B-side for the single “This Is Love” from his album Cloud Nine, which was produced by Lynne. To be titled “Handle With Care” after a label on a box in Harrison’s garage, the track was deemed to be too good for a B-side. This proved to be the catalyst for formalising the group and producing a full album.

The first Traveling Wilburys album, The Traveling Wilburys Vol. 1 was released on 18 October 1988. A critical and commercial success, the album would inspire a short skiffle renaissance in the music industry, and would revitalise the careers of Dylan, Orbison and Petty. Another side effect would be a renewed interest in the works of Lynne’s earlier group, the Electric Light Orchestra. While none of their singles would chart from this success, it would lead to later projects.

Shortly after the release of the album, Orbison would suffer a heart attack, which would result in the delay in the release of second single “End of the Line” until he was in a state to record the music video. [1]

Following on from their successes, the Wilburys would begin work on another album, and would begin many other collaborative projects.

Traveling_Wilburys.jpg

The Traveling Wilburys in 1988​

[1] This is the only change from OTL in this update. Orbison's December '88 heart attack doesn't kill him, meaning that we get to see more of him. We haven't seen the last of the Wilburys. I wanted to make the first update a shorter one. Next update will cover the production of Season 22 of Doctor Who.

[1] This is the only change from OTL in this update. Orbison's December '88 heart attack doesn't kill him, meaning that we get to see more of him. We haven't seen the last of the Wilburys. I wanted to make the first update a shorter one. Next update will cover the production of Season 22 of Doctor Who
Orbison lives...Yay, also he could maybe work with Johnny Cash at some point since the pair have known each other.

Also Orbison could work some more with K.D Lang, David Lynch and Bruce Springsteen. Essentially Orbison has a lot of admirers and friends who could work with him. Also cool to see more Travelling Wilburys stuff.

Loving the TL so far. It's hit that sweet spot for pop culture TL's of having a lot of cool new things that make me wish I could watch the movies/shows but also not being so unrealistically perfect where I turn against it.

Chapter II: "Across the Pond"

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
Part II, Chapter II: "Across the Pond"

“I only really stuck around because nobody else wanted the job. Everyone who had worked on the show before saw how stressful it was, and the new guys didn’t want to take the reins as the producer. I wasn’t about to leave Doctor Who with no producer, so I stayed. That might have been one of the best decisions of my life.”​

- John Nathan-Turner on why he chose to remain as head writer for Season 22 of Doctor Who. [1]

John Nathan-Turner, Doctor Who veteran, was to be the hproducer for the new season, and instantly started planning out a way to keep the older fans entertained, while not overwhelming the newer fans. He chose to allow the writers to come up with many new ideas for “monster of the week”, while also encouraging them to incorporate some villains from the Classic era. [2]

Of note was that while the Cybermen had appeared in the Amblin films, so were well known to the newer American fanbase, those who had not seen the Classic series in syndication would be unfamiliar with perhaps the most iconic enemy of the Doctor, namely the Daleks.

Nathan-Turner was also eager to get ex-Star Trek writer David Gerrold on board, as he not only had far more experience with writing American television than most of the writers, but that he also wished to see LGB representation in the science fiction world. He had written a script for The Next Generation, titled “Blood and Fire”, which was to incorporate an allegory for the AIDS epidemic. While the script had been purchased, it had not been produced, and so when he came to work on Doctor Who, Gerrold pitched the idea again, where it was accepted. [3]

Most Classic Doctor Who stories consisted of two to four (occasionally more) 25 minute episodes per story. With the move to 45 minute episodes, and 26 episodes per season, the writers were encouraged to write for two episodes per story. Many stories that had been floated for the planned BBC Season 22 were pitched once more, and adapted to fit the larger budget.

In addition, by having encouraging multi-episode stories, the cost to produce each episode would tend to be reduced. This allowed the producers to invest in better practical effects and special effects that they had not been able to before. Many of the British crew commented that working on the show seemed to feel more like being on a film set than the television sets that they were used to.

While most stories would be multi-episode, there would also be more so-called “bottle episodes”, named for the “ship in a bottle” episodes that occasionally took place in Star Trek: The Original Series. These stories primarily used sets and props that had been used in other stories, and often saw the lead characters in a reduced role. Doctor Who had played about with this idea before, though not often. [4]

As the season began filming, producers quickly noted the dynamic that had formed between Laurie, Crosby and Hanks. The three seemed to be getting on very well, and often met up off set. During interviews where all three were present, there was often much joking around, something that was often commented upon by the reporters. [5]

The writers were, while encouraged to write stories involving old villains, would be discouraged from using Cybermen in their stories, as it was feared that their reputation had been sulliev by The Cyber Invasion.

The Daleks were to return in the 25th Anniversary story The Two Doctors, which would also feature the return of Patrick Troughton and Frazer Hines as the Second Doctor and Jamie McCrimmon respectively. [6]

The Master would be reintroduced, alongside a new Time Lady, known as the Rani. After much negotiation, it was decided than Anthony Ainley would retain his role as the Master, and Madeline Kahn was cast as the Rani. While neither had much, if any, experience with American television, their performances on set removed any doubts in the producers’ minds. [7][8]

Doctor Who was to be broadcast on Sundays on both NBC and the BBC, though the BBC would air the latter half of the season a month later. This was done in part to avoid too much competition with rival show Star Trek: The Next Generation, which was airing during the production of Season 22. As Star Trek had been part of American popular culture for much longer than Doctor Who, it was felt that in a “one on one” battle, Star Trek would likely win out. [9]

As May 1988 approached, all that now remained was to wait to see what the audience would think of the new series. [10]

[1] Nathan-Turner has a gread deal of say in how the series is made at this point. He's basically the showrunner.
[2] A bit of old and a bit of new. That'll be Doctor Who for a while. Some older ideas recycled as writers have stayed on, others repurposed, and some pretty much completely original.
[3] LGB (what the LGBT community was known as at the time) representation will be much better in Doctor Who and Star Trek ITTL. This is sort of the catalyst.
[4] Most notably, Mission to the Unknown (sort-of). The BBC crew will be very good at shaving dollars off of the budgets of episodes, as they're used to far more limiting circumstances.
[5] I don't know if any of these three have actually worked together, but it strikes me that they would be friends off of the set as well as on screen.
[6] This won't be written by Robert Holmes. While he's still alive ITTL, he won't be given the 25th anniversary episode (also the season finale)
[7] Very nearly recast the Master. But for now, I can't think of an actor to portray the master as a good foil to Laurie, who will be quite similar to Davison, at least outwardly.
[8] I'm not sure what I think of Kahn as the Rani, as she's a more comedic actress. But given the slightly campy edge that will inevitably hit Doctor Who, I think it might just work. I really just don't think that O'Mara, as brilliant an actress as she was, would be cast in such a recurring villain role for an American production, given that she wasn't even that well known in Britain.
[9] Something is Out There doesn't happen ITTL. While Doctor Who is a strong franchise in the US here, I still see NBC, and especially the BBC playing it safe.
[10] Next update will cover the release of S22, and reveal the titles. Next two updates after that will be supplemental ones giving summaries of each story, and a profile of the Seventh Doctor, as I did with the Sixth. I'll try not to make the wait four days this time.

Last edited:
Nathan-Turner was also eager to get ex-Star Trek writer David Gerrold on board, as he not only had far more experience with writing American television than most of the writers, but that he also wished to see LGB representation in the science fiction world. He had written a script for The Next Generation, titled “Blood and Fire”, which was to incorporate an allegory for the AIDS epidemic. While the script had been purchased, it had not been produced, and so when he came to work on Doctor Who, Gerrold pitched the idea again, where it was accepted. [3]
In our universe "Blood and Fire" became a book in Gerrold Star Wolf series .
th

And then a Fan Film in TOS

I like the idea of it being a Doctor Who story.
And I hope you explore it some more in detail.

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
In our universe "Blood and Fire" became a book in Gerrold Star Wolf series .

And then a Fan Film in TOS

I like the idea of it being a Doctor Who story.
And I hope you explore it some more in detail.

I plan to. In two updates, there'll be more of a story overview of Season 22, next update will just give titles. Most episodes will just give a quick summary, but others will get longer overviews, where the story is important to the narrative of the series as a whole, or where the plot is otherwise important. Most of the time, this will be limited to season openers and finales, but I will be making an exception for Blood and Fire, as it will be easily one of the most important stories for science fiction ITTL.

I have a good actor that could appear in Dr Who or beyond, J.E Freeman who plays the Dane in Millers Crossing. He would be quite good as a villian either new or old and his personal life could add some drama to the production.

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
I have a good actor that could appear in Dr Who or beyond, J.E Freeman who plays the Dane in Millers Crossing. He would be quite good as a villian either new or old and his personal life could add some drama to the production.

I agree with you there. Might have to use him at some point in the near future, my thanks to you.

There'll be no update tonight, I've been busy with university stuff and the like, as well as doing my utmost to watch all of Deep Space Nine. I'll do my best to get updates out daily from Monday to Wednesday, but then I can't guarantee anything until the following Monday, as I'm travelling. In all honesty, I'm getting a little impatient with this TL, as I've got so much planned out, but my favourite stuff isn't until the mid 2000s. Ah well, best I can do is keep this updated. See you all tomorrow hopefully.

Chapter III: "Are You Sitting Comfortably?"

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
Part II, Chapter III: "Are You Sitting Comfortably?"

“For me, the experience was very strange. I’ve been a fan for all of my life, so when on that Sunday, we were all gathered around the television the moment we heard that familiar theme start. We all knew it would be different now though, well, it was being made by us Americans now, things were going to change of course. But most importantly, I would be on it.”​

- Tom Hanks, taken from An Adventure in Space and Time.

The return of Doctor Who to the television had been greatly anticipated by its fans. Of those who were planning on watching the show, almost all would recognise one of the three principal cast members. In particular, the presence of Denise Crosby would bring many fans over from Star Trek, which had featured her until very recently.

In contrast to The Next Generation, Doctor Who had a small main cast, only three to The Next Generation’s nine for Season 1. In addition, the majority of aliens in Doctor Who were portrayed in suits of some sort, which were more reusable, and often cheaper in the long run, than the prosthetics and make-up used on shows like Star Trek. [1]

These factors, along with many others, would result in Doctor Who having a noticeably greater budget per episode than its main rival. In some cases this would be spent on better effects or more convincing sets, but the majority of the time, it would be used to attract guest stars, as Doctor Who had done during its original run with the BBC. Despite this, most small parts would be played by relative unknowns, as was common. Many actors and actresses would cite Doctor Who as the place that they “got started”. [2]

Season 22 was to contain the 25th Anniversary special, titled The Two Doctors, and would feature the return of the Second Doctor and Jaime McCrimmon. The first episode of the story would become notable among fan circles for featuring the song “Blowin in the Wind”, released by Bob Dylan in 1963, as the story is set in that year. Bob Dylan was reportedly a fan of the show, and allowed the song to be featured royalty-free. [3]

Season 22 of Doctor Who first aired on Sunday May 15th 1988, and was the first season of the “revival series”, as well as the first to be broadcast by a network other than the BBC.

List of Episodes of Season 22 of Doctor Who: [4]
  1. New Beginnings (Part 1)
  2. New Beginnings (Part 2)
  3. Straight on Until Morning (Part 1)
  4. Straight on Until Morning (Part 2)
  5. Behind the Times (Part 1)
  6. Behind the Times (Part 2)
  7. The Mark of the Rani (Part 1)
  8. The Mark of the Rani (Part 2)
  9. That Sinking Feeling (Part 1)
  10. That Sinking Feeling (Part 2)
  11. Phobos (Part 1)
  12. Phobos (Part 2)
  13. Revelation of the Daleks (Part 1)
  14. Revelation of the Daleks (Part 2)
  15. The Rotan Game (Part 1)
  16. The Rotan Game (Part 2)
  17. Blood and Fire (Part 1)
  18. Blood and Fire (Part 2)
  19. Entropy (Part 1)
  20. Entropy (Part 2)
  21. Echoes
  22. The Blood of the Zygons (Part 1)
  23. The Blood of the Zygons (Part 2)
  24. The Two Doctors (Part 1)
  25. The Two Doctors (Part 2)
  26. The Two Doctors (Part 3)
Cast of Season 22 of Doctor Who:
  • The Seventh Doctor – Hugh Laurie
  • Ace – Denise Crosby
  • Jim Baines – Tom Hanks
  • The Master – Anthony Ainley
  • The Rani- Madeline Kahn
Season 22 would be generally well received by fans and critics alike. While the writing of certain episodes would be met with criticism, there was little aimed at the actors themselves. Some critics felt that the longer season detracted from the quality somewhat, though most fans were happy to be receiving twice as much Doctor Who per season than before.

Most episodes would be judged as “good, but not outstanding”. An exception to this would be Blood and Fire, which would prove to divide fans, though not for its quality. Blood and Fire featured the first homosexual relationship in Doctor Who, and main stream science fiction. The episode was accompanied by a message urging viewers to become a blood donor, with the story being a thinly veiled allegory for the ongoing AIDS epidemic, in particular, the public stigma surrounding the disease. Blood donorship would increase slightly in response to the episode, and it was cited as being the first example of “the science fiction community opening itself up as a place where LGB people were welcome”. [5]

Season 22 proved to be a resounding success, with average viewing figures on par with that of Star Trek: The Next Generation. The warm reception, coupled with the strength of the show, would see two further seasons be commissioned, with all three principal cast members signing on for the two further seasons. [6]

[1] As previously stated, while Doctor Who has seemingly always had a smaller budget, it seems to be a less expensive show to produce. Many reasons, most already given.
[2] Keep your eyes on the guest stars in updates like the next, some of them aren't big names yet, but some will become that. As in OTL, many people will appear on Doctor Who before they're big, you'd be really surprised at the people to have been on.
[3] This story may be apocryphal, but I like it regardless. A little bit of fan-content interaction that I really like.
[4] Next update will have the plot summaries as well as synopses for New Beginnings, Blood and Fire, and The Two Doctors. It's difficult enough coming up with the names for the episodes, so I'll need a day to do them, plus I don't want to clutter this update.
[5] I don't see the episode as having a huge effect on the world, but it's going to be a very important episode. Put simply, it shows Trek that they can have these sort of characters, and that it won't kill the show, even though some fans bay be pushed away.
[6] While this is a longer stay than most companions, especially given the longer seasons, this is American television now. It will still see a faster cast turnaround than something like Star Trek though. Doctor Who survives through the fact that every actor can be replaced. This will keep salaries for the main cast down too, so we probably won't see wages like those earned by the cast of TNG in the last couple seasons, for a while at least.

Last edited:
  • The Two Doctors (Part 1)
  • The Two Doctors (Part 2)
  • The Two Doctors (Part 3)
Did they film footage in Spain as in the OTL?
If they did, did they seek places that look like Britain as they did in the OTL?
The First time I saw the OTL Two Doctors, I did not realize that they done location footage in Spain. It look just like it was shot in England.
Originally The Two Doctors was suppose to be filmed in the US in New Orleans. But they could not afford it.
I assuming that it did not happen in this timeline either.

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
Did they film footage in Spain as in the OTL?
If they did, did they seek places that look like Britain as they did in the OTL?
The First time I saw the OTL Two Doctors, I did not realize that they done location footage in Spain. It look just like it was shot in England.
Originally The Two Doctors was suppose to be filmed in the US in New Orleans. But they could not afford it.
I assuming that it did not happen in this timeline either.

I didn't know that either, so thank you for sharing that with me. I'm not overly sure where it would be filmed, but Spain would probably work. The story won't be identical to OTL, as Holmes isn't writing it. Elements will remain, as it will be based off of Holmes' initial manuscript, but given the different companions and Doctor, butterflies will take effect somewhat.

Overview of Season 22 of Doctor Who

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
Overview of Season 22 of Doctor Who

New Beginnings

In 1988 San Francisco, a young girl going by the name of ‘Ace’ is arrested after experimenting with ‘Nitro-9’, an explosive of her own devising. Upon being brought in, she asks to see a lawyer before asking any questions. The lawyer, Jim Baines, quickly takes a liking to her, despite her clear guilt. While they discuss a potential strategy of ‘getting her off lightly’, there is a commotion outside. A man breaks in to the room, ranting about a Doctor. He collapses on the floor, and is taken to a cell.

Following this, Jim leaves, and is followed on his way home. Upon arriving at his apartment, he is assailed by an unknown attacker. At the police station, Ace and the mysterious man are placed in adjacent cells, but the guards are soon overcome by people dressed similarly to the man who attacked Jim. The men render Ace and the mysterious man unconscious, and take their bodies with them.

Jim, Ace and the strange man wake up, bound, in an unknown room. When asked for his identity, the strange man mutters only something about being a Doctor. The man makes little sense when he talks and seems to be radiating some form of energy.
:

The unknown assailants return, and begin interrogating the trio. They quickly grow frustrated with the man who describes himself as “the Doctor”, as he refuses to give coherent answers. The men explain that they are the Valor, and followed the energy signal of the Doctor’s ship. Their own ship was heavily damaged in a battle with their enemy, and intend to use the Doctors ship to return to their space.

Jim and Ace are, understandably, shaken by this sudden revelation of extraterrestrial life, and begin planning an escape once the Valor leave. The Doctor, who has been slipping in and out of consciousness, seems to be making more sense now, and he explains that he is indeed, alien, and has a ship that travels in space and time. He joins in on their plan to escape.

The Doctor is able to slip out of his restraints, and reaches into his coat pocket to retrieve a device he calls the “sonic screwdriver”. He uses this device to free Jim and Ace, and they escape together. The Valor quickly notice, and pursue. The trio take refuge in Ace’s apartment, where she gathers the materials to make Nitro-9, which they plan to use to trap the Valor on Earth.

Pursued once more by the Valor, the trio hurry to the location that the Doctor claims his ship is. It is located inside an abandoned building on the outskirts of the city. Ace booby-traps the building with Nitro-9 in case the Valor follow them in. Upon reaching the ship, that he calls the “TARDIS”, Ace and Jim initially comment on its apparent “snugness” and how it appears to be a phone box.

Upon entering, Jim and Ace are struck by the internal dimensions of the TARDIS, while the Doctor explains that the Valor will almost certainly be unable to break in. Should the booby traps be set off, they will be perfectly safe in the TARDIS. The Valor arrive, and set off the booby traps. While they are not seriously injured, they believe the Doctor’s ship to have been destroyed. The Valor run off, and their fates are left unknown.

Ace and Jim emerge from the TARDIS. The Doctor joins them, and explains that he would be happy to let them travel with him as he “likes company”. Ace agrees, as she is wanted by the police, so would enjoy the adventure. Jim decides to tag along as well, as he is becoming unsatisfied with his work, and strives for “something more”. The Doctor invites them back in. When they ask how they will deal with their apparent disappearance, the Doctor simply replies “It’s a time machine, I can get you back for last week.” The Doctor asks the two where they would like to go.

Straight on Until Morning

Ace and Jim are brought to a space station by the Doctor. While they explore, the station is attacked by a force known as the Julk, and are separated, and the TARDIS rendered unreachable. Jim and the Doctor are trapped with the majority of the civilian population, while Ace organises a push back with the military force that remains on the station. As the Julk continue the attack, will the three be able to save the station in time?

Behind the Times

The three arrive in Earth in the year 200,000. The Doctor quickly notes that the humans seem to be far behind technologically in comparison to what he recalls from his earlier travels. As the trio explore, they start to notice that this world seems to be controlled by an unknown force, the nobody seems to talk about. What lies on Floor 500 of the Citadel, and who is controlling the Earth?

The Mark of the Rani

The trio arrive in Lancaster of the 1800s. There they meet two members of the Doctor’s race, the Master (Anthony Ainsley) and the Rani (Madeline Kahn). The Rani is intending to use chemicals from human brains in her experiments, while the Master intends to use the city as a base of operations for him to build a base of power to begin conquest anew.

That Sinking Feeling

The Doctor, Ace and Jim arrive in Oregon, where there are seismic troubles. When it becomes clear that the area is not quite as friendly as first appears, they begin to investigate. A large parasitic species of worm has burrowed, and is eating large mineral deposits present in the crust. The question soon becomes as to whether they should fins a way to remove the worms, potentially killing them, or to leave the area to its fate.

Phobos

The trio arrive on an outpost on Phobos, a moon of Mars, in the 25th century. A mysterious entity seems to be manifesting as the greatest fears of the crew, then killing them. As the crew dwindles, the Doctor tries to find a way to stop the entity, and determine where it came from. As the dark history of the outpost is revealed, will there be enough time for the Doctor to save the crew and his companions?

Revelation of the Daleks

The three arrive on the planet Necros, where they are attacked by mutated creatures. As they attempt to find the source of the mutated creatures, they discover that the inhabitants of the planet are being transformed into Daleks. It is revealed that Davros is behind the plan, and is intending to build up his own army, after a civil war erupted among the Daleks. As the Doctor comes face to face with his most fearsome enemies once more, will he have to pick a side in their internal conflict?

The Rotan Game

The trio awake in a white chamber, where they are informed that they have been chosen as contestants in “The Rotan Game”, a mysterious futuristic game show. It becomes apparent that the penalty for losing the game is death. When Jim is eliminated, the Doctor and Ace must find a way to escape, and recover Jim if at all possible.

Blood and Fire

The Doctor, Jim and Ace arrive on the UNS Valiant, where an outbreak of “Regulan Bloodworms” has taken hold. When a person is infected, the bloodworms live in their blood, dormant, until one day they wake up, and kill the host within days. While the worms are dormant, the host is virtually unaware of the presence of the worms.

The people on the ship who are infected can be saved by a blood transfusion from a healthy donor, but the policy of the UN is to quarantine ships infected by bloodworms until all infected crewmembers have died. Given the scale of this outbreak, there are not enough healthy donors to save the crew before it becomes likely that the majority will die.

The Doctor, Ace and Jim offer their assistance, and they attempt to convince nearby ships to dock, and donate blood. All decline, worried that they may contract bloodworms from the procedure, though the risk is negligible.

Eventually, they find a ship with crew that are willing to donate blood, and they dock, and the procedure is underway. However, another UNS ship nearby threatens to fire on the ship to prevent potential further infection. The ship barely holds on while under fire, and Jim attempts to reason with the crew of the other UNS ship, explaining the facts of the matter. The other ship leaves.

The crew of the Valiant is cured, and the trio depart. A subplot of the story involves the relationship between the captain of the Valiant, and one of its infected crewmembers, who are both male.

The story ends with a message encouraging the viewers to donate blood.

Entropy

The TARDIS arrives on a planet in a pocket universe that is rapidly collapsing due to entropy. When the TARDIS is unable to leave, and finds its engines draining, the Doctor works with the scientists on the planet to prolong the life of the universe, with the knowledge he gained at the Logopolis complex. But as time runs out for the pocket universe, and the fabric of reality begins to break down, will the trio be able to save the universe and escape?

Echoes

The TARDIS arrives on a planet that is seemingly uninhabited. While there, they discover that the planet seems to be giving them visions of their own pasts, and giving them grim reminders of secrets that they would rather remain hidden.

The Blood of the Zygons

A sinister plot is underway in Los Angeles in 1988. People are going missing, then reappearing a few days later having had a complete change in personality. When the mayor begins acting strangely, the question arises of if he is who he claims to be after all? Or have an old enemy of the Doctor returned once more?

The Two Doctors

The TARDIS lands in Britain in 1963, and the Doctor soon gets the feeling that he had been here before. The Doctor gets the TARDIS to scan the area, and he detects a space station in orbit. The trio travel to the station, where the station’s computer attempts to kill them by depressurising the corridor.

They return to Earth, following a teleport signal from the station. The Seventh Doctor has a vision of his second self being executed, and fears that he may now only exist as an anomaly in time, and has little time to save his own life. While exploring, Ace is attacked by a man in rags, who is revealed to be Jaime McCrimmon, a companion of the Second Doctor.

Upon seeing Jaime, the Seventh Doctor is overjoyed to see a companion that he feared had forgotten about him completely. Jaime explains that he and the Second Doctor are on a mission from the Time Lord Celestial Intelligence Agency (CIA) to prevent the Sontarans from obtaining a method of time travel. In return for working with the CIA, Jaime’s memories of travelling with the Doctor will be preserved, and the Doctor’s sentence from the Time Lords will be postponed. The Seventh Doctor recalls this information, but only vaguely.

The four allow themselves to be captured by a Sontaran patrol, that is going around an estate that they have commandeered. They are taken to a cell, where they meet the Second Doctor. Upon realising that the Doctor is there twice, the Sontarans remove them from the cell, and take them to a makeshift laboratory.

There, they are forced to attempt to isolate the symbiotic nuclei that allow Time Lords to travel through time for extended periods. The Sontarans believe that they have created a time machine, but their tests have all resulted in the molecular breakdown of the pilots.

The Two Doctors work on a plan to escape, and manage to find a way to remotely activate the space station’s self destruct sequence. They do this, and make a run to escape. They barely escape, and the Second Doctor contacts UNIT to deal with the remaining Sontaran forces on Earth.

The Second Doctor summons his TARDIS with a Stattenheim remote, and the two Doctors go their separate ways. The Seventh Doctor explains to his companions why he was unable to remember the events, and as to how and why he can change his appearance. The trio then set off for more adventures through time and space.

Afterword:
This is easily the longest update yet, and took me a few hours to write. It's just over 2000 words in all. As a result, as I write in a word processor then paste here, adding the footnotes as I review here, there won't be numbered footnotes for updates like these. They're just a little too long for it to be reasonable.

I've used some elements from a few different seasons here, most notably Series 1 of NuWho. I was going to go with adding writers and the like, but something like this really takes the energy out of me. Where the writer is important, it will be mentioned in other updates. Similar thing with guest stars. To be completely honest, I don't know who was who in television at this time. Where the guest star is important, they'll be mentioned in the plot summary. Nobody too much for this update, but the next season will be very different. Of course, I can't give anything away, but there is always groundwork being lain down for the road ahead in almost every update. I've got the story planned out to the modern day, just need to get it all written down.

So, a long update in all, too long for any footnotes to be honest. If any of you have questions about any of the stories, I'd be more than happy to answer them, but given the scope of this, I won't try to anticipate every question you may have. Until next time gentle reader.

Last edited:
(DW) The Seventh Doctor - Profile

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
The Seventh Doctor (1988-1990)

seventhdoctor.jpg

Hugh Laurie
Hugh Laurie as the Seventh Doctor, taken from That Sinking Feeling.

The Seventh Doctor was portrayed by the British actor Hugh Laurie. Before taking up the role, he was much less well known, his most notable role being the Prince Regent on the British television show Blackadder the Third.

Critical response to the Seventh Doctor was generally favourable, with many comparing him to the Fifth Doctor, both being young and action seeking. The Seventh Doctor maintained a generally positive outlook and was often nicknamed by the fans as “the wacky Doctor”, as many of his scenes called on Laurie’s comedic background. Despite this, the Seventh Doctor occasionally showed signs of a darker side, and a history he wished to forget. While glimpses of this side would be fleeting with the Seventh Doctor, it set a precedent for Doctors to come. [1]

The Seventh Doctor served as a “jumping on point” for many fans, as the producers at NBC wished to create a television show that was not overly reliant on prior canon, as most Americans had not seen the classic series. The Seventh Doctor proved very popular among fans, and his episodes remain some of the most watched in syndication.

Most of the time, the Seventh Doctor was seen in blue trousers, with a darker blue waistcoat, accompanied by a cravat and overcoat matching the shade of his trousers. Similar to his fifth incarnation, the white shirt he wore had question marks sewn into the points of the collar on either side. [2]

This attire would set him apart from his surroundings, though he would occasionally opt for other clothing when required, most notably in the season 23 story Seven Pillars of Wisdom, where he opted for a look more similar to that of the stereotypical “English Gentleman”. [3]

Laurie would often be seen at fan conventions with his co-stars Denise Crosby and Tom Hanks, who portrayed his companions Ace and Jim. They would be his only on-screen companions for his tenure.

The Seventh Doctor first appears in the final Amblin film The Mad Dog Gang, though when exactly this appearance occurs in the Doctor’s timeline is never explicitly stated. As he is not suffering from the effects of post-regenerative trauma, it is clear that this occurs some time after New Beginnings. Various “expanded Whoniverse” material has attempted to explain this, though no one definitive answer has been given. [4]

With 26 forty-five minute episodes per season, the Seventh Doctor quickly became one of the Doctors with the most screen time. His ranking among fan circles tends to be high, with his grouping with Crosby and Hanks being seen as one of the most iconic in the show’s history.

[1] I'm using elements of the Seventh Doctor of OTL here, though not nearly to the same degree. Think it a bit more like the Tenth or Eleventh Doctors of OTL, fun exterior, but a dark interior that occasionally sees the light of day.
[2] The Sixth Doctor's Big Finish outfit.
[3] Why yes, this is a Jeeves and Wooster reference.
[4] Me covering my tracks somewhat. But also out first hints at the larger Whoniverse that we will come to see more of as time goes by. At the moment, it's pretty much just magazines, but we'll see more as time goes on.

Last edited:
Good Work so far keep it up, I like the balance of humourous and serious with the stories and actors and the Blood and Fire episode was rather interesting in both story and real life consequences. I hope to see what comes next season.

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
Good Work so far keep it up, I like the balance of humourous and serious with the stories and actors and the Blood and Fire episode was rather interesting in both story and real life consequences. I hope to see what comes next season.

Thank you, that's all for Doctor Who for a little bit, as TNG Season 2 is just around the corner, and that will feature more departures from OTL than Season 1. In addition, with that, I'll be tackling the 1988 Writers Guild of America strike, and the effects that has on some of our favourite shows. After that, there'll be a quick look at another science fiction show I'm rather fond of, that premiered around this time. I suppose it'a about time to have another overview like I did for 1984-1986/7 a few weeks back.

So all that's to come, just for 1988. I wasn't lying when I said that story progression might be a bit slower from here on out. I'm going to be travelling this evening, and I wont be back in my room until Sunday evening, so I'm unsure as to whether there'll be any updates until them. If not, see you then.

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
Today is the 30th anniversary of the TNG episode " Measure of a Man". So I hope that makes an appearance.

Believe me it will, and soon. I've already outlined my plans for the next few updates, and it will feature in Season 2 of TNG as OTL. Star Trek, much as in OTL, is going to have a larger focus on "episodes that make you think" than competitors like Doctor Who. While there will be some pretty big story changes to Trek down the line, I think it should still be recognisable as the Star Trek we all know and love by the end of it.

The one change I would make to TNG, is in season 6-7, set up the Cardassians as the major villains of the first 2-3 seasons of DS9
Also don't end the Klingon Civil War so quickly. Have it run through out the first third to half of the season, before you finish it. Develop some of the Plots that they threw away in Repdemption.
Data as a Ship Captain should have been at least two episodes on it own. Worf should have been our window on the events of the Empire.