Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, thanks to @Plateosaurus for the Smithsonian post.

NGL, I'm gonna miss the Daily Show and Colbert Report. But it looks like their alt-legacy is in good hands.
Yea, killing your darlings is hard, but we can have lots of fun with them iTTL.

WAIT WHAT CARTOON?!!!!!!!
Hand drawn, circulating the offices.

OH YEAH!

And I saw whatcha did there!

MTV = Empty Vee
Well, what Steve Jackson Games did...ripping them off referencing them here.

Can animation be a part of the network?
Probably some occasional adult stuff.

1: Don't tell me that the whole R Kelly crap still happens......
2: What's going on at Jive?
1. Yes, unfortunately. Covered it briefly in a Bernie post

2. Acquired by Hyperion Music in the late 1990s.

1: So, does Aaliyah survive ITTL? I sure hope so...
2: What? "Lolita temptress"?........WTF?
1. Yes. Plane crash. Very buttefly-vulnerable.

2. Blame the Victim 101

What's the Columbia Comedy Channel?

Also is South Park still around?
A comedy channel...from Columbia

P&S are busy on other things, so no South Park or equivalent, at least yet.

Right. And I have a cool idea if you want to hear it @Geekhis Khan!
Sure, pitch in a PM or the Guest thread.

I had no idea Alton Brown was a music producer, but damn, it hurts to see him stray away from his cooking career and butterfly away Good Eats as a result. Let me tell you that Good Eats was one of the best cooking shows ever made, so I am a bit mad that you nonchalantly killed it. :coldsweat:

Nevertheless, the shows that exist ITTL on the Rolling Stones TV channel look pretty good, especially the cooking segments, so I can't be too angry about that.
Yea, learned that one myself recently and found it an interesting butterfly. No Good Eats iTTL but you have Fixins which is even crazier and just as informative (Corriher was a regular Good Eats guest).

Bruce's Big Dramatic Role?
Chapter 9: All Good Things…
Excerpt from All You Need is a Chin: Confessions of a B-Movie Actor by Bruce Campbell

So in 1997 I was filming my Big Dramatic Breakout Role: 1998’s Talkies.

Yeah.

It was all the product of serendipity, really. I’d randomly run in to director Ron Underwood at a party. He’d liked what I’d done with Wolfman and really liked by “old fashioned leading man look” with the “Rock Hudson chin”. I thought that he was hitting on me at first (hey, it’s Hollywood) but no, he was serious. In fact, he had just the film for me, the aforementioned Talkies, a spec script he’d picked up about a Rudolph Valentino-type silent movie star who’s struggling to make a mark in the “Talkies” since his midwestern accent doesn’t quite fit the rough-and-tumble romantic leads that he’d been typecase as.

I’d play the lead role of Brock Westerman. Ron thought that he could get Timothy Dalton as the Errol Flynn-like Flynn Luray. He was considering filming in black & white and silent with title cards. Bob Weinstein thought that it was an Oscar “sure fire”.

My agent warned me not to take it, but what did he know? He wanted me to keep playing sleezy CEOs and used car salesmen until the end of time. Why was I sending this guy 15% of my pay? He didn’t even have anything to do with this sweet breakout gig! So I said ‘to hell with him” and jumped on the role.

The_Artist_Poster.jpg

This through a smudged gas station bathroom mirror

Yeah, we were on top of the world! We had Miramax backing us. The script looked great. We couldn’t fail!

Well, we failed. Dalton wanted nothing to do with us. Instead, we got Ryan Phillippe and some sub-optimal makeup to age him up. We wanted Rose McGowan for the love interest. We got Lauren Holly. Miramax nixed the Black & White and Silent angles and we made a straight period piece, but lacked the resources to have the right sets and costumes.

Lauren got out of it unscathed, but I got savaged. Siskel & Ebert called me “stilted and uncomfortable”. They nominated me for the Worst Actor Razzie, but I didn’t even win that!

I couldn’t even win as losing!

Golden_Raspberry_Award.jpg

Denied even this great prize…

Needless to say, the calls dried up and my agent dumped me. When you fall in Hollywood you fall fast, and fall far. Even getting typecast as “jerk CEO” was beyond my reach.

Yea, goodbye Hollywood Dreams. Back to B-movies and Shemping for Sam.

Well, thankfully Sam and Guillermo del Toro were working on In the Mouth of Madness, this H.P. Lovecraft inspired work that he’d scooped up in turnaround from John Carpenter. So there was a job for me as a wacky supporting cameo: an inmate at the asylum who is possessed by the demons of madness. At Sam’s insistence, Guillermo put me through a long regimen of physical abuse by muscular orderlies and electroshock. Several takes. I eventually get lobotomized and left in a puddle of my own drool.

Worse yet, Sam hung a poster for Talkies in my dressing room.

Hardy har har.

220px-Mouthmadnessposter.jpg

Well, anyway, Guillermo basically rewrote the original screenplay, which involved a plot by evil publishers to drive the world mad and instead returned to something closer to the original Lovecraft mythos, making it a 1930s period piece where US archeologist John Trent (Tim Roth) is hired by a mysterious German occultist named Otto Lang (Rufus Beck) to explore some ancient ruins in Greenland that Lang believes to be “the ancient city of Thule”. Needless to say, ancient horrors and madness await, framed by Nazi occultism, lunacy, and conspiracy.

497px-Shoggoth_by_Nottsuo.jpg

Shoggoth concept art (actually by Nottsuo)

20th Century gave us a good budget, so we went crazy with the sets and makeup and worked with ILM’s Alien Cantina on the Creature Effects, including the giant Old Ones, who were mostly CG. This meant that I got to work with Doug Jones, who wore a lot of prosthetics to play various semi-human monstrosities and was also one of my abusive Orderlies. Sam also had me get made up into a creepy fish man for a few scenes.

And Guillermo being Guillermo, the ruins of Thule were full of clockwork insanity with clicking gears and strange automata and all that jazz. Effects were a lot of the budget since, despite Sid Ganis’ strong suggestion, Guillermo did not hire Bruce Willis or Tom Cruise. There were some location shoots with the mountains of New Zealand standing in for Greenland, but otherwise a lot of sound stage work with green screen and practical sets intertwined.

At one point they had to talk to some mechanical digital puppetry rigs that were in some ways creepier than the final CG creations!

And yeah, the film did well. $192 mill on a $64 mill budget? Not shabby. Particularly given all the competition that year.

But for me, my next “big film” would be Krangoa 2. I played one of the evil scientists who kidnap the giant monkey baby and eventually I get ripped apart by mommy and daddy. Lots of steamy, sticky, swampy location shoots in the Florida Everglades. I almost bought the farm when I nearly stepped on a water moccasin. Well, at least I got to work, however briefly, with James Earl Jones, Jimmy Buffett, and two of the Pythons. Also, plenty of actual pythons, of the Burmese rather than British type. Seriously, they’re an invasive species.

To quote Indy, “Why did it have to be snakes?”

Well, TV was still working for me, and I found myself spending lots of time on airplanes to New Zealand to film Lysia episodes and soon enough Telemachus episodes, though not for very long. The TV world was in some ways more satisfying since you’re shooting one episode at a time for the most part, so it’s less “today we film Act III Scene 2 and tomorrow Act I Scene 4” than making a feature film. Also, lower resolution and lower expectations mean fewer takes to get everything “perfect”.

Sometimes “perfect” is the enemy of “good enough”.

And strangely enough, it was kind of liberating. B movies and TV paid the bills without the constant pressure of meeting that next career milestone or playing the games to worm my way further up the Hollywood Hierarchy…or, well, Hollywoo Hierarchy at the time, truth being stranger than fiction as always.

And even so, Big Movies were never completely out of the question when your friend since childhood is an A-List director. So after years at Warner filming DC movies, Sam was heading over to Disney and the Marvel side to direct The Mighty Thor.

And I figured I’d need to hit the gym if I had any hope of Shemping for Brad Pitt.

It was all the product of serendipity, really. I’d randomly run in to director Ron Underwood at a party. He’d liked what I’d done with Wolfman and really liked by “old fashioned leading man look” with the “Rock Hudson chin”. I thought that he was hitting on me at first (hey, it’s Hollywood) but no, he was serious. In fact, he had just the film for me, the aforementioned Talkies, a spec script he’d picked up about a Rudolph Valentino-type silent movie star who’s struggling to make a mark in the “Talkies” since his midwestern accent doesn’t quite fit the rough-and-tumble romantic leads that he’d been typecase as.
Well, we failed. Dalton wanted nothing to do with us. Instead, we got Ryan Phillippe and some sub-optimal makeup to age him up. We wanted Rose McGowan for the love interest. We got Lauren Holly. Miramax nixed the Black & White and Silent angles and we made a straight period piece, but lacked the resources to have the right sets and costumes.

Lauren got out of it unscathed, but I got savaged. Siskel & Ebert called me “stilted and uncomfortable”. They nominated me for the Worst Actor Razzie, but I didn’t even win that!

I couldn’t even win as losing!
Poor Bruce, a great movie ruined by studio interference. Couldn't even win a Razzie!
Needless to say, the calls dried up and my agent dumped me. When you fall in Hollywood you fall fast, and fall far. Even getting typecast as “jerk CEO” was beyond my reach.

Yea, goodbye Hollywood Dreams. Back to B-movies and Shemping for Sam.
Well if you hit Rock Bottom the only way left is up right?
Well, thankfully Sam and Guillermo del Toro were working on In the Mouth of Madness, this H.P. Lovecraft inspired work that he’d scooped up in turnaround from John Carpenter. So there was a job for me as a wacky supporting cameo: an inmate at the asylum who is possessed by the demons of madness. At Sam’s insistence, Guillermo put me through a long regimen of physical abuse by muscular orderlies and electroshock. Several takes. I eventually get lobotomized and left in a puddle of my own drool.

Worse yet, Sam hung a poster for Talkies in my dressing room.

Hardy har har.
Haha Sam is a troll, still it's a job.
Well, anyway, Guillermo basically rewrote the original screenplay, which involved a plot by evil publishers to drive the world mad and instead returned to something closer to the original Lovecraft mythos, making it a 1930s period piece where US archeologist John Trent (Tim Roth) is hired by a mysterious German occultist named Otto Lang (Rufus Beck) to explore some ancient ruins in Greenland that Lang believes to be “the ancient city of Thule”. Needless to say, ancient horrors and madness await, framed by Nazi occultism, lunacy, and conspiracy.
Cool! Feels like a twisted Indiana Jones movie! Also Rufus Beck is a great choice for the occultist.
20th Century gave us a good budget, so we went crazy with the sets and makeup and worked with ILM’s Alien Cantina on the Creature Effects, including the giant Old Ones, who were mostly CG. This meant that I got to work with Doug Jones, who wore a lot of prosthetics to play various semi-human monstrosities and was also one of my abusive Orderlies. Sam also had me get made up into a creepy fish man for a few scenes.
The effects are going to be otherworldly. Also Doug Jones isn't playing the Fishman? Ironic
And strangely enough, it was kind of liberating. B movies and TV paid the bills without the constant pressure of meeting that next career milestone or playing the games to worm my way further up the Hollywood Hierarchy…or, well, Hollywoo Hierarchy at the time, truth being stranger than fiction as always.
I'm glad Bruce sees it optimistically. No shame in tv work and the occasional B Movie.

Still I hope he will get the Breakout Role he deserves.
And even so, Big Movies were never completely out of the question when your friend since childhood is an A-List director. So after years at Warner filming DC movies, Sam was heading over to Disney and the Marvel side to direct The Mighty Thor.

And I figured I’d need to hit the gym if I had any hope of Shemping for Brad Pitt.
Brad Pitt as Thor? Sounds interesting. Maybe Sam will find a role for Bruce to play properly too?

Great chapter @Geekhis Khan

Poor Bruce, a great movie ruined by studio interference. Couldn't even win a Razzie!

Well if you hit Rock Bottom the only way left is up right?

Haha Sam is a troll, still it's a job.

Cool! Feels like a twisted Indiana Jones movie! Also Rufus Beck is a great choice for the occultist.

The effects are going to be otherworldly. Also Doug Jones isn't playing the Fishman? Ironic

I'm glad Bruce sees it optimistically. No shame in tv work and the occasional B Movie.

Still I hope he will get the Breakout Role he deserves.

Brad Pitt as Thor? Sounds interesting. Maybe Sam will find a role for Bruce to play properly too?

I'll admit this chapter actually kinda mad me a little sad, because I thought Campbell got a better shake in Hollywood here. It was actually part of the reason I put him in the Impossibles guest post.

Deleted member 165942

Bruce thriving in TV also happened OTL since one of his biggest roles in the past decade or so is playing Sam Axe, an aging retired cover agent and Navy Seals, in the show Burn Notice. It seems like he's just fated to thrive in TV and do not so great at movies.

I'll admit this chapter actually kinda mad me a little sad, because I thought Campbell got a better shake in Hollywood here. It was actually part of the reason I put him in the Impossibles guest post.
Yea, I kind of boxed myself in when I named his book "Confessions of a B Movie Actor" per OTL, though TBH he would have likely been typecast as Sleazy CEO or Quippy comic relief guy.

Bruce thriving in TV also happened OTL since one of his biggest roles in the past decade or so is playing Sam Axe, an aging retired cover agent and Navy Seals, in the show Burn Notice. It seems like he's just fated to thrive in TV and do not so great at movies.
Yep, not fate per se, but TV usually has more opportunities than film.

His career might have taken a setback, but he does have Sam Raimi, so he will have a chance at appearing or even starring in A List productions.

In the News...
HTN to become Sports Century, Focus on Non-Mainstream Sports
Sports Illustrated, May 1997 Edition

Rupert Murdoch’s Hughes Television Network has rebranded as Sports Century following the signing of a deal with the WNBA and renewing deals with MLS[1]. The channel will focus on sports other than the mainstream ones, such as soccer, women’s sports, and non-US sports, to include the World Cup. Industry insiders are divided on whether Sports Century can compete with giants like ESPN and Turner, but many are sanguine that by grabbing the lesser-watched sports that they will gain a specific and neglected core audience.

CEFTA Expands, adds Baltics, Romania, Bulgaria
The Times of London, June 4th, 1997

320px-Flag_of_CEFTA.svg.png

Warsaw – In a new twist to the “Eastern Question”, the Central European Free Trade Agreement, or CEFTA, has expanded to include the former Soviet Bloc states of Romania and Bulgaria and the three former USSR breakaway Baltic Republics of Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania. This expansion creates a contiguous free trade zone from the Baltic Sea to the Black Sea with some Western-leaning member states of Yugoslavia, like Croatia and Slovenia, reportedly urging Belgrade to join the agreement. While ostensibly a local trade alliance, CEFTA’s close economic ties to the EU make Moscow nervous even as they expand fossil fuel pipelines through the CEFTA member states. And a rarely-commented-upon defensive coordination clause included in the CEFTA bylaws hints at the beginnings of a defensive alliance, with most Eastern Watchers assuming Moscow to be the principal perceived antagonist in a future conflict. This quasi-alliance also stands between the USR and its non-contiguous Kaliningrad Oblast, adding to the stakes.

No official comments have come out of Moscow, where President Boris Yeltsin is facing increasing criticism from the right, but reports of a special closed-door session of the Duma and Cabinet hint to Moscow taking this very seriously indeed. Times analysts believe that Moscow can do little about this at the moment but fume, but the issue will no doubt increase the stakes in the East. US President Al Gore called the move “a positive step towards economic recovery in Eastern Europe,” and send Secretary of State Andrew… Cont’d on A3.

Federation For Sale: The Systemic Corruption of the USR
Newsweek, May 5th, 1997

Moscow – These gilded, towering corridors once saw the footfalls of Czars and their ministers. Peter and Catherine the Great plotted conquests and modernization schemes. Nicholas II made his ill-fated war strategy here. Lenin and Stalin and Khrushchev all made plans against the Capitalist West here. From silk-clad aristocrats to uniformed commissars, these have been the halls where power was meted out and influence peddled. And now a new power walks these halls: rich, connected businessmen in suits.

640px-Panorama_of_Moscow_Kremlin.jpg

Some of them had little but the right familial connections when they were made into one of the world’s richest men. They may be the second-born son of a political ally or the new son-in-law of an FSB operative or Army General. But now they may be the proud owners of Caspian oil fields or municipal utilities. Such has been the post-Soviet “liberalization” of the economy. Experience and training mean less than having the right friends in high places. And the USR Federal Government has been willing to sell their former State-Owned infrastructure assets and resource rights for pennies on the dollar, robbing the USR citizens of what could have been a communal right[2].

Some have already called them “Oligarchs”, a small circle of ultra-wealthy, well-connected men who wield a disproportionate amount of power and influence. Many have ties to organized crime. Many of them receive positions of high office as well, though most don’t need these positions, for when several top Duma representatives have dined in your mansion on the Black Sea and you regularly share drinks with President Boris Yeltsin and Prime Minister Boris Nemtsov, what you need and want tend to happen anyway.

“Moscow has developed a very specific ‘pay for play’ system,” said economist George Saxon. “Connected men buy and sell connections and influence. State employees and elected officials sell off state-owned assets for a pittance in exchange for a kickback. There are no rules, no investigations, and no prosecutions, save for the occasional player who bit the hands that fed him.”

Such corruption is common in the member states and republics as well, with similar oligarchs walking the corridors of power in Kyiv, Minsk, Almaty, Ashgabat, and Baku, among others. “Rule of Law is a buyable asset,” said one anonymous source, who called the system “corruption personified”.

Many of these rising Oligarchs have begun investing in the west. Real estate, stock investments, and yachts appear to be the latest craze, and some have reportedly been eying sports teams. The acquiescence of western financial institutions to this systemic abuse has been deemed “problematic” by many watchdogs.

And more disturbing yet, the USR’s “privatized” arms manufacturers, who right now continue to flood the world with cheap weapons from small arms to armored vehicles to anti-aircraft missile systems, threaten to continue to destabilize the world order and fuel terrorism and insurgency.

Cont’d on Pg. 23…

Three Dead, Five Injured in Disneyland Gate Shooting
LA Times, July 10th, 1997

Anaheim – Three people, including the alleged shooter, are dead following gunfire at the entry gate to Disneyland. The suspect, armed with two automatic pistols, opened fire into the crowds lined up at the gates, killing two and injuring three others, including two children, before being shot and killed by responding security. Police and the FBI are investigating the event as a possible terrorist attack. We will report more details as they emerge[3].

NY AG Killed in Upstate Shooting
New York Times, August 13th, 1997

Rochester – New York State Attorney General Kathy Burstein (D-NY) was shot and killed today in an apparent assassination. A single suspect[4] has been captured, his name not yet released by authorities. Armed with a handgun, the suspect worked his way through the crowd at a campaign event in support of the re-election campaign of Senator Geraldine Ferraro (D-NY), whom some suspect was the primary target of the assassin. “Ferraro is a noted liberal and feminist,” said one source, “and has long been the subject of angry attacks in right wing internet outlets. The fact that we have a Republican governor, who could pick a Republican replacement until the 1998 election, could be a factor as well.”

Others cite Burstein herself as the target, an outspoken Lesbian woman whom many suspect planned to run for Governor. Certainly her dogged prosecution of firearms possession has made her a frequent target of criticism by Second Amendment advocates. NYC Assistant AG… Cont’d on A2.

Explosion at Airbase in Saudi Arabia Kills Twelve Americans
The New York Times, August 23rd, 1997

Dhahran – A truck loaded with explosives detonated at the gate to the King Abdulaziz Air Base in Saudi Arabia, killing or injuring several US Service members, most of them Security Police, and several people living in adjacent structures. The truck, which carried an estimated 3000 to 5000 pounds of explosives, was attempting to enter the base, presumably intending to attack a more concentrated target, such as US barracks or command centers. No one has yet claimed responsibility, though already many are blaming Al Qaida, the Afghanistan-based terrorist organization behind the January 13th attacks on three civilian airliners with man-portable antiaircraft weapons, though they deny responsibility[5].

The attack commenced at 2:32 AM Saudi Time when… Cont’d on A2.

Suspected Terror Plot Disrupted at US/Mexico Border
The San Antonio Express, September 29th, 1997

Eagle Pass – US Customs and Border Patrol Agents in cooperation with Mexican Federal Police disrupted a weapons-smuggling attempt with suspected links to Al Qaida last night. The pre-dawn raid, acting on an anonymous tip, captured Zacarias Moussaoui, a French citizen believed to have links to Islamic terrorism, who was meeting with a group of Mexican citizens believed to be a part of the Sinaloa Drug Gang. Captured at the scene were several “Grouse” man portable air defense (MANPAD) weapons, Kalashnikov style assault rifles, rocket propelled grenades, hand grenades, explosives, and other weapons. It is suspected that Moussaoui planned to use the weapons to attack civilian targets, likely to include domestic civil aircraft, most of which have not yet been fitted with the jammers now common on international flights.

“We have seen a marked increase in the availability of such military grade weapons near the border in recent years[6],” said Border Patrol Sergeant Javier… Cont’d on A2.

“Who Says Who’s a Terrorist?”
The Politics of Domestic and International Terrorism

Newsweek, November 2nd, 1997 Edition

“He’s a violent, woman-objectifying religious fanatic with a sincere hatred of the US Government and its policies,” said Security Expert Damian Blanc in a speech at the World Security Forum 1997. “He’s well-armed, angry, motivated, and intent on imposing his fanatical religious views upon the rest of us, by violence if necessary.

“Now, am I talking about Ahmed from Al Qaida or Sammy from the Sword of Liberty? Taliban, or Tali-baptist?”

Blanc drew deserved criticism from many sides with this inflammatory statement, but it did manage to capture the ironic crux of the debate now playing out in the halls of Congress as the left and right debate what constitutes the greater threat: the domestic terrorism of SoL and its imitators and allies or the foreign terrorism of Al Qaida and Hezbollah. It’s a debate that on the surface would seem to be pretty obvious: both are a serious, even existential threat to American civilians. And yet domestic politics has muddied the waters as some members of the Republican Party, increasingly reliant on its nativist wing with the rise of the Reform Party and its controversial shunning of Pat Buchannan, try to downplay the domestic threat. Many parts of the US South, West, and Midwest are to at least some degree culturally and politically in alignment with the White Christian Nationalism at the heart of SoL and its fellow Militant White Nationalist Organizations, in spirit if not in practice. And while most of them condemn the groups’ tactics, they at least can sympathize with its worries and fears of “losing ground” to the “other” as the share of non-white citizens increases relative to whites and the number of Americans who self-identify as Christian steadily decreases[7].

“It’s a Catch-22,” said an anonymous Republican strategist. “If they condemn SoL it could cost them in the primaries, particularly when they’ve been heavily Gerrymandered, but if they modulate their position [on SoL] it can screw them in the general [election]. It’s best to just downplay the threat and change the subject. And for Dems in solid red areas, they face the opposite conundrum. It’s little surprise that so many are going Stripeback,” he added, referring to the trend of some candidates in more solidly conservative or liberal areas to ally with the Reform Party.

“Osama Bin Laden threw them a lifeline,” said an obviously bitter James Carville. “With a scary brown Muslim face to pin to terrorism, it gives the Newts and the Bucks [nativists in the Gingrich or Buchannan mold] a chance to point out the mote in someone else’s eye while ignoring the beam in their own. The messed-up thing is that this just might give us some common ground when talking border security and immigration! Stopping guns at the border benefits all, both for obvious reasons and for partisan political ones.”

Behind closed doors, however, Republicans are scared. They know that this is a losing issue for them on the national scale, even as it can be a winner on the local level. “We can’t be the party that apologizes for terrorism,” said one GOP lawmaker. “Besides, many of us were here when the FBI bombing happened. We could feel the shockwave. That bomb could just as easily have been blown up outside the Capitol or the Congressional Offices. But how do you call it out in the local election without cutting your own throat?”

They also fear that if they don’t play along to some degree, whoever comes next could be worse. “Besides,” said the same lawmaker, “we could lose our seats to some actual SoL sympathizer or conspiracy theorist, and then those lunatics would have a voice in Congress! Can you imagine a sitting US representative talking about International Jewish conspiracies or other John Birch madness or spouting KKK talking points on White Replacement?”

But other GOP voices are speaking out. Arizona Senator John McCain specifically called out his fellow Republicans for their, in his words, “wishy-washy” take on SoL. “They [SoL] can call themselves ‘Patriots’ and ‘Christians’ all they want,” he said in a controversial speech at the RNC. “The truth is that they’re neither. They’re murderous savages, no better than Bin Laden. And any true Conservative Republican should reject them without hesitation.”

Florida GOP Senator Jeb Bush expressed similar sentiments, albeit in less confrontational terms. “The heart of the issue is that we, as Republicans and Conservatives, need to speak to the concerns that have led so many Americans to in some way sympathize with these groups, even as we reject the groups themselves. We need to address the loss of jobs and the erosion of morality that have left so many Americans desperate and afraid. We need to address immigration in a meaningful way. We need to secure our borders, not just against rockets but against drugs and human trafficking. In short, we need to stop brushing aside the problem and go after the root causes.”

Other Republicans have attacked the Democrats for using the SoL as a political wedge issue. “The Dems would have you believe that there’s no difference between a conservative evangelical and a KKK terrorist,” said South Carolina Representative Lindsey Graham. “They’ll try to tar brush us all as cut from the same cloth. It’s dishonest and reprehensible. How can you make common cause with people who regularly call you a terrorist?”

“Yeah, Lindsey, no [expletive deleted],” said Detroit lawyer and political activist Keith Ellison in response, a Muslim who many speculate is considering a political run. “As a Muslim man, I have a better idea than you think about what it’s like to work with people who ‘regularly call you a terrorist’. Have you tried not tar brushing all Muslims for the actions of Osama? Maybe not smear Amir from Dearborn who had nothing to do with Dhahran? Consider this God’s wake-up call that it’s time to judge people by their character, not their labels.”

The issue has also caused a growing rift within the American Christian community itself, one with clear racial and generational divides. At this year’s Southern Baptist Convention, 19-year-old Enoch McAllister of Knoxville, Tennessee, who sported a T-Shirt saying “Real Christians Reject Violence and Hate”, told us, “The SoL has rejected the very core tenants of the Gospels, which encourage us to love our enemies, reject violence and vengeance, and turn the other cheek. The way we deliver the Good News is through compassion and service, not bombs and bullets.” When asked about recent statements by the Reverend Jerry Falwell, a keynote speaker at the Convention, which overtly implied that the SoL’s victims had ‘brought God’s wrath upon themselves,’ McAllister simply sighed, shook his head, and said, “I’ll be praying for him.”

But as the debate over the politics of religion and terrorism continues, some see hope for a mutually beneficial outcome. “Right now, we have entire segments of the agricultural industry that are wholly or largely dependent upon non-citizen labor,” said Colorado Reform party member and former Vice Presidential candidate Dick Lamm. “We have an outdated immigration system that stymies getting our farmers the labor that they need while simultaneously incentivizing the cross-border smuggling that also transports guns and drugs. Is it not time for a grand compromise?”

Lamm was joined in his calls for an immigration/border security compromise by McCain, who saw the opportunity for… Cont’d on Pg. 23.

[1] Idea by @El Pip.

[2] A severe lack of Rule of Law or traditions of just institutions make the collapsing USSR subject to corruption in just about any timeline. Here Nemtsov is the recipient of the largess rather than Putin. How will this play out? Stay tuned.

[3] The shooter will be determined to be a mentally ill man who frequented far right message boards and will be deemed a Lone Wolf.

[4] Will be determined to be a Lone Wolf shooter, though he was “influenced” by right wing online message boards.

[5] Yes, this timeline’s Khobar Towers bombing. Here the rocket attacks against airliners and availability of cheap USR-made weapons means that the US and Saudis put up hard physical barriers (walls) rather than fences, expecting rocket attacks. This results in preventing the bombing per our timeline, forcing the attackers to settle for the only available “soft target”, the front gate. As per our timeline blame will be initially assigned to Al Qaida but eventually linked to Iran and Hezbollah.

[6] YURI!!!!

[7] This is in alignment with our timeline, not unique to this one. According to a recent Pew Research study, the number of Americans who self-identified as “Christian” has dropped steadily since the early 1970s, from 90% in ’72 to about 64% today, mostly from native-born Americans leaving the Christian Church, not due to non-Christian immigration, with trends indicating it could be below 50% by 2070.

This is a really expertly done article, especially with how you weave the SoL and Al Qaida/Hezbollah segments against eachother. I think this really peels back the underlying similarities between the groups (even though all three would vehemently disagree with that observation).

HTN to become Sports Century, Focus on Non-Mainstream Sports
Sports Illustrated, May 1997 Edition

Rupert Murdoch’s Hughes Television Network has rebranded as Sports Century following the signing of a deal with the WNBA and renewing deals with MLS[1]. The channel will focus on sports other than the mainstream ones, such as soccer, women’s sports, and non-US sports, to include the World Cup. Industry insiders are divided on whether Sports Century can compete with giants like ESPN and Turner, but many are sanguine that by grabbing the lesser-watched sports that they will gain a specific and neglected core audience.

CEFTA Expands, adds Baltics, Romania, Bulgaria
The Times of London, June 4th, 1997

320px-Flag_of_CEFTA.svg.png

Warsaw – In a new twist to the “Eastern Question”, the Central European Free Trade Agreement, or CEFTA, has expanded to include the former Soviet Bloc states of Romania and Bulgaria and the three former USSR breakaway Baltic Republics of Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania. This expansion creates a contiguous free trade zone from the Baltic Sea to the Black Sea with some Western-leaning member states of Yugoslavia, like Croatia and Slovenia, reportedly urging Belgrade to join the agreement. While ostensibly a local trade alliance, CEFTA’s close economic ties to the EU make Moscow nervous even as they expand fossil fuel pipelines through the CEFTA member states. And a rarely-commented-upon defensive coordination clause included in the CEFTA bylaws hints at the beginnings of a defensive alliance, with most Eastern Watchers assuming Moscow to be the principal perceived antagonist in a future conflict. This quasi-alliance also stands between the USR and its non-contiguous Kaliningrad Oblast, adding to the stakes.

No official comments have come out of Moscow, where President Boris Yeltsin is facing increasing criticism from the right, but reports of a special closed-door session of the Duma and Cabinet hint to Moscow taking this very seriously indeed. Times analysts believe that Moscow can do little about this at the moment but fume, but the issue will no doubt increase the stakes in the East. US President Al Gore called the move “a positive step towards economic recovery in Eastern Europe,” and send Secretary of State Andrew… Cont’d on A3.

Federation For Sale: The Systemic Corruption of the USR
Newsweek, May 5th, 1997

Moscow – These gilded, towering corridors once saw the footfalls of Czars and their ministers. Peter and Catherine the Great plotted conquests and modernization schemes. Nicholas II made his ill-fated war strategy here. Lenin and Stalin and Khrushchev all made plans against the Capitalist West here. From silk-clad aristocrats to uniformed commissars, these have been the halls where power was meted out and influence peddled. And now a new power walks these halls: rich, connected businessmen in suits.

640px-Panorama_of_Moscow_Kremlin.jpg

Some of them had little but the right familial connections when they were made into one of the world’s richest men. They may be the second-born son of a political ally or the new son-in-law of an FSB operative or Army General. But now they may be the proud owners of Caspian oil fields or municipal utilities. Such has been the post-Soviet “liberalization” of the economy. Experience and training mean less than having the right friends in high places. And the USR Federal Government has been willing to sell their former State-Owned infrastructure assets and resource rights for pennies on the dollar, robbing the USR citizens of what could have been a communal right[2].

Some have already called them “Oligarchs”, a small circle of ultra-wealthy, well-connected men who wield a disproportionate amount of power and influence. Many have ties to organized crime. Many of them receive positions of high office as well, though most don’t need these positions, for when several top Duma representatives have dined in your mansion on the Black Sea and you regularly share drinks with President Boris Yeltsin and Prime Minister Boris Nemtsov, what you need and want tend to happen anyway.

“Moscow has developed a very specific ‘pay for play’ system,” said economist George Saxon. “Connected men buy and sell connections and influence. State employees and elected officials sell off state-owned assets for a pittance in exchange for a kickback. There are no rules, no investigations, and no prosecutions, save for the occasional player who bit the hands that fed him.”

Such corruption is common in the member states and republics as well, with similar oligarchs walking the corridors of power in Kyiv, Minsk, Almaty, Ashgabat, and Baku, among others. “Rule of Law is a buyable asset,” said one anonymous source, who called the system “corruption personified”.

Many of these rising Oligarchs have begun investing in the west. Real estate, stock investments, and yachts appear to be the latest craze, and some have reportedly been eying sports teams. The acquiescence of western financial institutions to this systemic abuse has been deemed “problematic” by many watchdogs.

And more disturbing yet, the USR’s “privatized” arms manufacturers, who right now continue to flood the world with cheap weapons from small arms to armored vehicles to anti-aircraft missile systems, threaten to continue to destabilize the world order and fuel terrorism and insurgency.

Cont’d on Pg. 23…

Three Dead, Five Injured in Disneyland Gate Shooting
LA Times, July 10th, 1997

Anaheim – Three people, including the alleged shooter, are dead following gunfire at the entry gate to Disneyland. The suspect, armed with two automatic pistols, opened fire into the crowds lined up at the gates, killing two and injuring three others, including two children, before being shot and killed by responding security. Police and the FBI are investigating the event as a possible terrorist attack. We will report more details as they emerge[3].

NY AG Killed in Upstate Shooting
New York Times, August 13th, 1997

Rochester – New York State Attorney General Kathy Burstein (D-NY) was shot and killed today in an apparent assassination. A single suspect[4] has been captured, his name not yet released by authorities. Armed with a handgun, the suspect worked his way through the crowd at a campaign event in support of the re-election campaign of Senator Geraldine Ferraro (D-NY), whom some suspect was the primary target of the assassin. “Ferraro is a noted liberal and feminist,” said one source, “and has long been the subject of angry attacks in right wing internet outlets. The fact that we have a Republican governor, who could pick a Republican replacement until the 1998 election, could be a factor as well.”

Others cite Burstein herself as the target, an outspoken Lesbian woman whom many suspect planned to run for Governor. Certainly her dogged prosecution of firearms possession has made her a frequent target of criticism by Second Amendment advocates. NYC Assistant AG… Cont’d on A2.

Explosion at Airbase in Saudi Arabia Kills Twelve Americans
The New York Times, August 23rd, 1997

Dhahran – A truck loaded with explosives detonated at the gate to the King Abdulaziz Air Base in Saudi Arabia, killing or injuring several US Service members, most of them Security Police, and several people living in adjacent structures. The truck, which carried an estimated 3000 to 5000 pounds of explosives, was attempting to enter the base, presumably intending to attack a more concentrated target, such as US barracks or command centers. No one has yet claimed responsibility, though already many are blaming Al Qaida, the Afghanistan-based terrorist organization behind the January 13th attacks on three civilian airliners with man-portable antiaircraft weapons, though they deny responsibility[5].

The attack commenced at 2:32 AM Saudi Time when… Cont’d on A2.

Suspected Terror Plot Disrupted at US/Mexico Border
The San Antonio Express, September 29th, 1997

Eagle Pass – US Customs and Border Patrol Agents in cooperation with Mexican Federal Police disrupted a weapons-smuggling attempt with suspected links to Al Qaida last night. The pre-dawn raid, acting on an anonymous tip, captured Zacarias Moussaoui, a French citizen believed to have links to Islamic terrorism, who was meeting with a group of Mexican citizens believed to be a part of the Sinaloa Drug Gang. Captured at the scene were several “Grouse” man portable air defense (MANPAD) weapons, Kalashnikov style assault rifles, rocket propelled grenades, hand grenades, explosives, and other weapons. It is suspected that Moussaoui planned to use the weapons to attack civilian targets, likely to include domestic civil aircraft, most of which have not yet been fitted with the jammers now common on international flights.

“We have seen a marked increase in the availability of such military grade weapons near the border in recent years[6],” said Border Patrol Sergeant Javier… Cont’d on A2.

“Who Says Who’s a Terrorist?”
The Politics of Domestic and International Terrorism

Newsweek, November 2nd, 1997 Edition

“He’s a violent, woman-objectifying religious fanatic with a sincere hatred of the US Government and its policies,” said Security Expert Damian Blanc in a speech at the World Security Forum 1997. “He’s well-armed, angry, motivated, and intent on imposing his fanatical religious views upon the rest of us, by violence if necessary.

“Now, am I talking about Ahmed from Al Qaida or Sammy from the Sword of Liberty? Taliban, or Tali-baptist?”

Blanc drew deserved criticism from many sides with this inflammatory statement, but it did manage to capture the ironic crux of the debate now playing out in the halls of Congress as the left and right debate what constitutes the greater threat: the domestic terrorism of SoL and its imitators and allies or the foreign terrorism of Al Qaida and Hezbollah. It’s a debate that on the surface would seem to be pretty obvious: both are a serious, even existential threat to American civilians. And yet domestic politics has muddied the waters as some members of the Republican Party, increasingly reliant on its nativist wing with the rise of the Reform Party and its controversial shunning of Pat Buchannan, try to downplay the domestic threat. Many parts of the US South, West, and Midwest are to at least some degree culturally and politically in alignment with the White Christian Nationalism at the heart of SoL and its fellow Militant White Nationalist Organizations, in spirit if not in practice. And while most of them condemn the groups’ tactics, they at least can sympathize with its worries and fears of “losing ground” to the “other” as the share of non-white citizens increases relative to whites and the number of Americans who self-identify as Christian steadily decreases[7].

“It’s a Catch-22,” said an anonymous Republican strategist. “If they condemn SoL it could cost them in the primaries, particularly when they’ve been heavily Gerrymandered, but if they modulate their position [on SoL] it can screw them in the general [election]. It’s best to just downplay the threat and change the subject. And for Dems in solid red areas, they face the opposite conundrum. It’s little surprise that so many are going Stripeback,” he added, referring to the trend of some candidates in more solidly conservative or liberal areas to ally with the Reform Party.

“Osama Bin Laden threw them a lifeline,” said an obviously bitter James Carville. “With a scary brown Muslim face to pin to terrorism, it gives the Newts and the Bucks [nativists in the Gingrich or Buchannan mold] a chance to point out the mote in someone else’s eye while ignoring the beam in their own. The messed-up thing is that this just might give us some common ground when talking border security and immigration! Stopping guns at the border benefits all, both for obvious reasons and for partisan political ones.”

Behind closed doors, however, Republicans are scared. They know that this is a losing issue for them on the national scale, even as it can be a winner on the local level. “We can’t be the party that apologizes for terrorism,” said one GOP lawmaker. “Besides, many of us were here when the FBI bombing happened. We could feel the shockwave. That bomb could just as easily have been blown up outside the Capitol or the Congressional Offices. But how do you call it out in the local election without cutting your own throat?”

They also fear that if they don’t play along to some degree, whoever comes next could be worse. “Besides,” said the same lawmaker, “we could lose our seats to some actual SoL sympathizer or conspiracy theorist, and then those lunatics would have a voice in Congress! Can you imagine a sitting US representative talking about International Jewish conspiracies or other John Birch madness or spouting KKK talking points on White Replacement?”

But other GOP voices are speaking out. Arizona Senator John McCain specifically called out his fellow Republicans for their, in his words, “wishy-washy” take on SoL. “They [SoL] can call themselves ‘Patriots’ and ‘Christians’ all they want,” he said in a controversial speech at the RNC. “The truth is that they’re neither. They’re murderous savages, no better than Bin Laden. And any true Conservative Republican should reject them without hesitation.”

Florida GOP Senator Jeb Bush expressed similar sentiments, albeit in less confrontational terms. “The heart of the issue is that we, as Republicans and Conservatives, need to speak to the concerns that have led so many Americans to in some way sympathize with these groups, even as we reject the groups themselves. We need to address the loss of jobs and the erosion of morality that have left so many Americans desperate and afraid. We need to address immigration in a meaningful way. We need to secure our borders, not just against rockets but against drugs and human trafficking. In short, we need to stop brushing aside the problem and go after the root causes.”

Other Republicans have attacked the Democrats for using the SoL as a political wedge issue. “The Dems would have you believe that there’s no difference between a conservative evangelical and a KKK terrorist,” said South Carolina Representative Lindsey Graham. “They’ll try to tar brush us all as cut from the same cloth. It’s dishonest and reprehensible. How can you make common cause with people who regularly call you a terrorist?”

“Yeah, Lindsey, no [expletive deleted],” said Detroit lawyer and political activist Keith Ellison in response, a Muslim who many speculate is considering a political run. “As a Muslim man, I have a better idea than you think about what it’s like to work with people who ‘regularly call you a terrorist’. Have you tried not tar brushing all Muslims for the actions of Osama? Maybe not smear Amir from Dearborn who had nothing to do with Dhahran? Consider this God’s wake-up call that it’s time to judge people by their character, not their labels.”

The issue has also caused a growing rift within the American Christian community itself, one with clear racial and generational divides. At this year’s Southern Baptist Convention, 19-year-old Enoch McAllister of Knoxville, Tennessee, who sported a T-Shirt saying “Real Christians Reject Violence and Hate”, told us, “The SoL has rejected the very core tenants of the Gospels, which encourage us to love our enemies, reject violence and vengeance, and turn the other cheek. The way we deliver the Good News is through compassion and service, not bombs and bullets.” When asked about recent statements by the Reverend Jerry Falwell, a keynote speaker at the Convention, which overtly implied that the SoL’s victims had ‘brought God’s wrath upon themselves,’ McAllister simply sighed, shook his head, and said, “I’ll be praying for him.”

But as the debate over the politics of religion and terrorism continues, some see hope for a mutually beneficial outcome. “Right now, we have entire segments of the agricultural industry that are wholly or largely dependent upon non-citizen labor,” said Colorado Reform party member and former Vice Presidential candidate Dick Lamm. “We have an outdated immigration system that stymies getting our farmers the labor that they need while simultaneously incentivizing the cross-border smuggling that also transports guns and drugs. Is it not time for a grand compromise?”

Lamm was joined in his calls for an immigration/border security compromise by McCain, who saw the opportunity for… Cont’d on Pg. 23.

[1] Idea by @El Pip.

[2] A severe lack of Rule of Law or traditions of just institutions make the collapsing USSR subject to corruption in just about any timeline. Here Nemtsov is the recipient of the largess rather than Putin. How will this play out? Stay tuned.

[3] The shooter will be determined to be a mentally ill man who frequented far right message boards and will be deemed a Lone Wolf.

[4] Will be determined to be a Lone Wolf shooter, though he was “influenced” by right wing online message boards.

[5] Yes, this timeline’s Khobar Towers bombing. Here the rocket attacks against airliners and availability of cheap USR-made weapons means that the US and Saudis put up hard physical barriers (walls) rather than fences, expecting rocket attacks. This results in preventing the bombing per our timeline, forcing the attackers to settle for the only available “soft target”, the front gate. As per our timeline blame will be initially assigned to Al Qaida but eventually linked to Iran and Hezbollah.

[6] YURI!!!!

[7] This is in alignment with our timeline, not unique to this one. According to a recent Pew Research study, the number of Americans who self-identified as “Christian” has dropped steadily since the early 1970s, from 90% in ’72 to about 64% today, mostly from native-born Americans leaving the Christian Church, not due to non-Christian immigration, with trends indicating it could be below 50% by 2070.
Every time I read about the Sons Of Liberty, I can help but imagine that a large chunk of it's membership would probably be part of certain OTL right organizations that I'm not going to mention because I don't know if I can.

It's good stuff and certainly helps to remind people while things are certainly better, we're not in a Utopia.

Last edited:
Hey that could be awesome! Will probably give these sports a good push.
Warsaw – In a new twist to the “Eastern Question”, the Central European Free Trade Agreement, or CEFTA, has expanded to include the former Soviet Bloc states of Romania and Bulgaria and the three former USSR breakaway Baltic Republics of Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania. This expansion creates a contiguous free trade zone from the Baltic Sea to the Black Sea with some Western-leaning member states of Yugoslavia, like Croatia and Slovenia, reportedly urging Belgrade to join the agreement. While ostensibly a local trade alliance, CEFTA’s close economic ties to the EU make Moscow nervous even as they expand fossil fuel pipelines through the CEFTA member states. And a rarely-commented-upon defensive coordination clause included in the CEFTA bylaws hints at the beginnings of a defensive alliance, with most Eastern Watchers assuming Moscow to be the principal perceived antagonist in a future conflict
Man I hope that doesn't escalate into an issue like in our Timeline.
Oh man I hope these leads to some anti corruption movements and parties and not to the total collapse of the system.
Man that's and the other attacks are horrible. Paranoia will be raising.

Gutting to hear about Burstein dying. I suppose even with early conversations about equality, there always has to be a price to pay. Wonder who'll take over from her, and whether it's just a co-incidence that you cut the update off before naming her successor. Disneyland is really shocking to read about as well.

The channel will focus on sports other than the mainstream ones, such as soccer, women’s sports, and non-US sports, to include the World Cup.

I know it's an American channel, but even as someone who doesn't care much about football, it will never stop being funny to me to see the most popular sport on three continents called a minority interest. But then our sports channels consider baseball and gridiron to be non-mainstream sports, so I guess it evens out.

(I once read something on social media along the lines of "Americans can't believe Brits watch grown men playing what they call soccer, and see as a game for teenaged girls. Brits can't believe Americans watch grown men playing what they call rounders, and see likewise.")

CEFTA’s close economic ties to the EU make Moscow nervous even as they expand fossil fuel pipelines through the CEFTA member states

"Russia doesn't trust you, but is supplying your gas" is never a good combination.

I know it's an American channel, but even as someone who doesn't care much about football, it will never stop being funny to me to see the most popular sport on three continents called a minority interest. But then our sports channels consider baseball and gridiron to be non-mainstream sports, so I guess it evens out.

(I once read something on social media along the lines of "Americans can't believe Brits watch grown men playing what they call soccer, and see as a game for teenaged girls. Brits can't believe Americans watch grown men playing what they call rounders, and see likewise.")
Worst comes to worst, we can all come together in our mutual ridicule of tennis.

Tragedy in the Happiest Place on Earth
Chapter 21: Terror Comes to Disney
Excerpt from In the Service of the Mouse: A Memoir, by Jack Lindquist

When we first began discussing an Israel Pavilion for the World Showcase, we nearly cancelled it over fears of terrorism. Similar concerns regarding the ETA nearly prevented the selection of Spain for the European Disney expansion. As such, when The Happiest Place on Earth came under terror attack, it was with a dark irony that it happened at the original Disneyland, the one that Walt built.

On the morning of July 9th, 1997, an Arizona man named Kyle Harrison parked at the Disneyland lot, walked up to the front gate, pulled out two automatic pistols, and started firing. Three guests were killed, including a 5-year-old girl named Cara. She was wearing a Snow White dress.

d242b41868e5e4cf66eb018ebd32e869.jpg

It wasn’t the first tragedy to come to Disney. We had a boy die of an amoebic infection contracted at River Country back in the 1970s. There was a lady assaulted by an alligator at The Magic Kingdom in ’03. We’ve had a few guests experience heart trouble on rides and a few people injured after ignoring the safety rules. And there were a couple of youth-related shootings in the Disneyland parking lot after we opened Club Cyclia. But none of that felt like an attack on Disney. Even the Cyclia-linked attacks were personal disputes and nothing tied to Disney.

No, this was an attack on us, though it was tragically our guests who suffered.

Jim insisted that we cover all medical and funerary expenses, even for the assailant, which shocked
many, myself included. He spoke at funerals where allowed, memorizing a speech by Marty Sklar and scrubbed by the Legal Weasels. In general, he approached it with his sincere empathy and decency, for which we all were grateful.

Harrison was a mentally ill man with a long history of paranoid schizophrenia who’d been involuntarily committed on multiple occasions. He heard angry voices that he attributed to God and the angels. He’d been reading the hateful things that were being said about Jim and Disney on the far right. He’d been taking Falwell’s and Robertson’s attacks as literal Gospel. And yet Jim openly called him a victim and donated to mental health charities in the aftermath.

Stan Kinsey was less magnanimous, and wanted to sue PTL and Falwell and other outlets that were smearing Jim, but Jim insisted on turning the other cheek. The Legal Weasels also noted that it would be hard to prosecute any sort of defamation claim and likely just put more spotlight on the accusations. Instead, we called up Falwell’s office, just to politely but insistently ask him to stop the attacks, given the dangerous fallout, but not only did they give us the runaround, but Falwell went on to suggest that Disney was to blame for “bringing God’s wrath upon itself.” A call to Pat Robertson’s office netted similar results.

Sadly, one of my jobs as Vice President of Public Affairs was to repair the damage to Disney’s reputation. We took a predictable hit in attendance for a bit and suffered a dip in share price and had to spend money on additional security measures to help put guests’ minds at ease. Simply having K9 teams and a couple of marked cruisers patrol the parking lots helped considerably. We had to do interviews and release press that outlined the steps taken in preventing another such incident, even as we knew that it would be nearly impossible to completely prevent such an incident without turning Disneyland into a fortified enclave where the Fourth Amendment meant nothing.

We also hit the TV circuit. We made a very special Wonderful World of Disney episode “A World of Faith” where our team members spoke about their faith, whether Christian, Jewish, Hindu, Muslim, or others. Walt Disney Miller spoke of his father’s Congregationalist faith and belief in the power of prayer and Jim spoke of his youth as a Christian Scientist and how it guided his morality and ethically. Pete Docter and Glen Keane and Jodi Benson spoke of their Christian faith and how Jim made them feel welcome and accepted. John Hench spoke of his Hindu faith and how Walt, despite being a Congregationalist Christian, always supported the Hindu and Jewish communities of Southern California. Dodi Fayed spoke about the welcome he received when working as a cultural advisor on Aladdin or working on BioForce 5. We made it clear that Disney was not a place opposed to religion of any sort, but a firm believer in the Small World philosophy and the First Amendment right to one’s own faith. It was the only episode of Wonderful World not to feature any animation or Muppets. We knew that this wouldn’t sway the Falwellite crowd, but we hoped that it could speak to most Americans, whatever their faith.

We also knew that this tactic could backfire or open us up to legal action if handled poorly, so we were extremely careful in what we said. We never mentioned any of the accusations leveled against Jim or the company, and never mentioned Falwell, Robertson, or our other attackers by name or by suggestion. We knew that even allowing non-Christians to talk about their faith would not please the Falwellites, but we hoped that it would speak to shared values with most mainstream Christians.
Bur the most remarkable outcome of all of this was that it hardly caught much attention. The press briefly covered it in relation to the shooting, and Falwell condemned it as a “stunt”, but your average American ignored it entirely (we got a pitiful 14-share running up against MLB games) and the press’
attempts to stir the pot were quickly forgotten when Al Qaida [SIC] bombed the air base in Arabia just a few days after our special aired. In the end, the tragedy simply became a passing news story, a shocking headline that was quickly replaced by another, just one more “if it bleeds it leads” moment among many in the 1990s.
Nowadays, the shooting is casually mentioned alongside the amoeba infection and the lady who lost her leg to the alligator and the teen shot in the parking lot. Another “when good times go bad” moment.

And yet for us it’s a tragedy that still haunts us as guards, uniformed and otherwise, patrol the parking garages on the lookout for anyone potentially smuggling a firearm or other weapon.

A very poignant article @Geekhis Khan

I especially appreciate how the 'big special' that Disney put together flopped. It reminds me a lot of the Bernie entry when he was talking about Malcom X - when you try to do something good it almost ruins your career, but you make more money off a controversy. And when Jim & Disney handled the attack responsively, empathetically and in good faith, everyone turned away to the next big tragedy.

I really appreciate you introducing this storyline into Hippie in the House of Mouse, I think it adds a lot (not just in regards to the new stories you can tell with it, but also the amount of commentary it allows you to do) and I believe you've handled it really well so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.