Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, all, always fun to play with the Muppets.

Those spoof ads sound really fantastic. What a pity they're ttl exclusive!
Molly remains a TL highlight, her cheerful 'voice' is so infectious :love:
Yea, she's been a hit. Glad that she's found an audience as it were.

As a Dane I both hate that Americans think that all us Scandinavians are the same, but I also understood that sentence perfectly so I can’t even be that mad
Yea, I speak ein bisschen Deutsch and I can totally understand it too.

Given this, I'm curious about your thoughts on Bjork talking "fake Icelandic" to Chef and him talking "Fake Swedish" and "having no Idea what each other are saying."

Do the New Muppets differ a lot from the OTL cast?
Well, the core Old Cast is there (Kermit, Piggy, Gonzo) along with the New (Clifford, Zondra, Pepe) and all in between (Rizzo).

Also the Tonite typo is intentional, right?
Yes.

@Geekhis Khan Did Brett Leonard direct Lawnmower Man ITTL or did someone else did? Its not stated anywhere where its mentioned.
While I never got into the details for LM even to myself, I'd assume that the answer is no given the major change in production companies and the fact that it's a completely different film from the "in name only" OTL film, which ITTL kept its original name Cybergod and never got retitled from an unrelated Stephen King story as a marketing gimmick. In anything Leonard directed Cybergod.

faceapp_1658449643921_by_lurch_jr_df9p795-pre.jpg

Muppet Molly?
That could certainly work.

Hopefully a friend of mine on discord doesn’t see this
Why, is this derivative of her image? I prefer not to use people's images if I can.

Yea, I speak ein bisschen Deutsch and I can totally understand it too.

Given this, I'm curious about your thoughts on Bjork talking "fake Icelandic" to Chef and him talking "Fake Swedish" and "having no Idea what each other are saying."
Well, as a Dane I sometimes struggle with even understanding Norwegian and Swedish talk because Danish pronunciation is quite different at times, but it’s not impossible. I can read some Icelandic, but it’s often guesswork, as it is quite different from mainland Scandi languages. They have maintained much more of the old Norse language than us (Iirc Icelanders are able to read old Norse relatively easily). So I find it completely plausible that they’d have no idea what each other was saying, since I doubt that even actual Icelanders and Norwegians would understand each other. An exception might be those who come from Northern Norway though. Their dialects might be closer to Icelandic

Also, fun fact: OTL the same Norwegian actress voiced Ariel in both the Danish, Swedish and Norwegian dub :) However in the Danish one she only provided Ariel’s song voice

Non-Disney Animation V a
Chapter 14: Beyond the Digital Frontier, 1996-Present
From In the Shadow of the Mouse, Non-Disney Animation 1960-2000, by Joshua Ben Jordan

As the 1990s peaked, animation was fully entering into its Renaissance. Television, theatrical releases, festival releases, and soon enough a new frontier via the internet all providing new and increasingly groundbreaking animation. New technologies were making animation cheaper and easier. Small startups were challenging the major studios like an army of Davids against a squad of Goliaths. But the Goliaths still ruled the big screen and small alike.

Disney still reigned supreme on the big screen and managed to maintain parity on the small screen with rivals Warner Brothers and Columbia/Hanna-Barbera, with Fox/Filmation on the rise and Penguin/Nelvana resurgent. But Disney’s big screen supremacy was being challenged like never before. The Disney Animation Renaissance had arguably peaked with 1994’s The Lion King. The very same year, however, Hollywood/DiC’s Retriever, made in partnership with Bluth but primarily animated by DiC, had beaten the technically groundbreaking The Brave Little Toaster at the box office, Disney’s first head-to-head loss. The very next year Disney suffered a prestige loss, with Bird Brain and Fox/Filmation’s The Iron Giant beating odds-on favorite The Hunchback of Notre Dame for the 1996 Academy Award for Best Animated Feature.

Disney would take both losses in stride, but the twin defeats of the once seemingly invincible Mouse made clear that Disney’s Supremacy was far from assured, and led to some reckonings within Disney and a sudden spark of excitement among their rivals.

Fox/Filmation would continue its successful partnership with Bird Brain, who was now fully separated from Warner Brothers, and produced Brad Bird’s passion project, the retro-futuristic Science Fiction Film Noir Ray Gunn.

ray_gunn_4.jpg

Ray Gunn Concept Art (Image source Mental Floss)

But production was troubled. While the animatics looked good visually, the adult themes and rather “uninspired” story (which was little more than a by-the-numbers film noir in The Future) were still receiving pushback from Fox. Mira Velimirovic put Bird in touch with Carrie Fisher, who worked with him to script doctor the screenplay and animatics. The femme fatal Venus Envy was upgraded into a more rounded character and the general script was given a more deconstructive element with hints of Chinatown. The relative success of Ralph Bakshi’s R-rated Hybrid Animation Cool World relieved some of the Fox board’s concerns with the adult theming, but even so the lack of “toyetic” potential made the film inherently risky. The production team remained at loggerheads with the board.

RAY+GUNN+010.jpg

(Image source “scriptshadow.net”)

Facing cancellation, Bird relented to reducing the planned T-rating down to a PG-rating, made the sexuality less overt and eliminated the omnipresent smoking (except from Sparks, whose smoke was from his ever-short-circuiting electronics), and added some comic relief characters and more child- and merch-friendly additions. These included the robot sidekick Sparks and the comedic alien underworld contact Errol based loosely on Peter Lorre, who provided a level of physical comedy through being amoeba-like, and therefore able to be smashed, blown up, hit by a vehicle, or otherwise abused without serious injury. Taking cues from Who Framed Roger Rabbit, they mixed the comedic and absurd into the dark noir, leading to an over-the-top film with voices by Michael Keaton (Ray), Michelle Pfeiffer (Venus), David Hyde Pierce (Sparks), and Steve Buscemi (Errol). Debuting in 1997, it made a modest box office of $75 million against a $42 million budget, an underperformance that made up lost ground on home video, where it became a cult classic.

ray_gunn_5.jpg

(Image source Mental Floss)

“To this day I wonder what my original vision might have been like,” said Bird. After a moment of self-reflection he added, “It probably would have flopped, to be honest, but I bet that we’d have scored another Oscar!”

Hollywood/DiC, meanwhile, would see its newfound success turn into a Time of Reckoning as the growing internecine feud between Michael Eisner and the alliance of Bob Iger and Jeffrey Katzenberg was exacerbated in the ensuing credit-grab over Retriever’s success. Ultimately this led to Eisner leaving for Columbia Entertainment and Iger and Katzenberg ascendant within Hollywood/ABC. Retriever had demonstrated that in-house DiC animators could produce a winning feature, albeit using Bluth designs. Heart and Soul was in animation, and being done completely by in-house HA/DiC animators led by a trio of ex-Disney animators, and thus seen at the time as the ultimate “sink-or-swim” moment for Hollywood Animation. But Katzenberg, now the head of Hollywood Studios and its many subsidiaries and soon to be Chief Creative Officer for the entire company, greenlit two more internal animation projects, both, like Heart and Soul, intended to dual with a Disney release. One was a wholly internal effort based on his own passion idea surrounding wild horses, leading to 1997’s Spirit of the West and set to release against Disney’s similarly named (but wholly different) Kindred Spirits. The other was an idea suggested by new Animation VP David Stainton, another ex-Disney animator, which led to 1999’s The City of Gold, based on an idea that Disney had in the pipeline and intended to dual with that picture.

220px-Spirit_Stallion_of_the_Cimarron_poster.jpg

This, but slightly earlier and from Hollywood Animation

Spirit of the West began in 1994, shortly before Eisner left, as a vague idea that Katzenberg had for a film based on wild horses. He hired John Fusco of Young Guns fame, who “fell in love” with the American Paint Pony on the set of Young Guns and had worked hard to help rescue them. Fusco set out to create “A Western from the perspective of the Horses.”

The marathon animation, aided by outsourcing most of the CG and Inbetweener work, managed to be beautiful, though occasionally jarring in its mix of hand-drawn and CG elements. It was also a mess of internal disaffection, leading to the infamous “Sabotage 35” incident. It ended up making $187 million against its $75 million in cost, managing to perform well enough against Disney’s Kindred Spirits, which it opened against, with some suspecting that Katzenberg hoped that the similarity in names might lead to customer confusion that would mostly benefit his feature over the favored Disney one. The film also went on to perform well in home video, spawning a few straight-to-video sequels and was a favorite for a generation of horse-obsessed girls.

Universal-Animation-Logo.png

(Image by @Nerdman3000)

And Spirit of the West would gain the further distinction of being the first film released by the new combined Universal-Hollywood-DiC team. Following the Universal/ABC merger, the Universal Animation team, who’d mostly worked with external animators (primarily UPA) and had few in-house animators, would be absorbed into the larger and more experienced Hollywood Animation, which would ironically take the Universal name, some say as a last slight against Michael Eisner. Universal Animation’s Don Bluth collaboration Valerian and Lauraline would thus be the last animated feature released under the independent Universal Animation label and starting in 1996 all Hollywood/DiC animated features would be released under the Universal Animation label. The team was in reality mostly made up of the old DiC animators and collaborators, and who still thought of themselves as DiC despite two name changes in less than 10 years. Universal would also maintain their working partnership with UPA, leading to a steady stream of animated features and TV series between the UPA and Universal/Hollywood/DiC teams.

220px-Balto_movie_poster.jpg

This from Universal and UPA

The first of these UPA collaborations would be 1996’s Balto, a literal underdog story of an Alaskan sled dog done in partnership with British animation director Simon Wells, the great grandson of famed Science Fiction pioneer H.G. Wells. Wells brought UPA a screenplay by Cliff Ruby and Elana Lesser that Lesser based upon the tales that her grandfather used to tell her. Released for the Summer of 1996, Balto struggled against Disney’s The Swan Princess and barely made its $33 million budget back, but became a popular classic on home video.

For the next big collaboration, the DiC team would work with former Disney animation producer, David Stainton, who’d come to Hollywood/DiC after burning too many bridges at Disney in his aggressive social climbing attempts. The result would be The City of Gold.

don-bluth-s-beauty-and-the-beast-fan-casting-poster-117049-large.jpg

(Image source mycast.io)

Don Bluth, however, was done with Hollywood Animation/DiC and Universal alike, and most of all done with Katzenberg, with whom he’d always held a contemptuous working relationship. Instead, he followed Eisner to Columbia, partnering with Columbia Pictures on a three-picture deal that led first to his 1998 release of Beauty and the Beast, to be followed in 1999 by The Velveteen Rabbit and in 2001 by Ruler of the Roost, a jazzy retelling of the Chanticleer story featuring Jean-Claude Van Damme as Chanticleer and Eddie Murphy as Reynard the Fox, his sketchy “agent” whose motivations are suspect. These releases were interspersed with the TV-based features already in production when Eisner ascended to Chair of Columbia Pictures, including 1996’s Scooby Doo and the Curse of the Howling Phantom, which underperformed but did well in home media, and 1998’s The Flintstones: Home on the Rocks, which performed better than expected driven by its memorable plot (Wilma and Betty go out and get high-paying jobs when the quarry closes and Fred and Barney are suddenly out of work, creating a flipped home dynamic) and the quirky dialog driven in part by the arrival of a hot-shot new young animator named Seth McFarlane.

Flintstones_2013.jpeg

(Image source The Lost Media Wiki)

This second Flintstones film would shock the industry by getting nominated for the Best Animated Feature Academy Award, become a critical and box office success, and spawn millions of dollars in home video sales and rentals. The success would lead directly to the 1999 Primetime TV reboot of The Flintstones on CBS with McFarlane as head writer and show runner, whose bizarre, adult, and occasionally surreal sense of humor, blended with its Musical nature, which let the series stand out against both competition like Nuclear Family and the classic and beloved original. In fact, the surrealism of it all was such that the eventual arrival of the Great Gazoo hardly created a stir of controversy.

Warner Brothers, meanwhile, would mostly crank out films based upon their classic DC and Looney Tunes lines. 1996 would see the release of Justice League vs. The Legion of Doom, a spinoff of the Bird Brain helmed TV animation that, alas, had no involvement from Bird Brain. The film would perform well enough and sell well on home video, but most aficionados of the DC Animated universe agreed that there was “something missing”. 1998’s Batman: The Rise of Bane would perform similarly, but gain controversy for its “surprising level of violence”.

Looney Tunes films would have similarly mixed results. The summer of 1997 would see the release of A Daffy Movie, a hybrid feature starring Brendon Frasier alongside the titular waterfowl and produced, written, and directed by Joe Dante. The madcap feature, which suffered from heavy executive meddling, would underperform at the box office against The Secret Life of Toys and Ray Gunn and spell the end of Dante’s Looney Tunes collaborations. The film would fare better in home media, ultimately becoming a cult classic. The winter of 1997 would see the fully-animated Animaniacs: Plucky’s Lucky Day, which eked out a modest profit against Kindred Spirits, Spirit of the West, and Flintstones 2 in what was the most crowded field for animated features yet seen.

220px-Quest_for_Camelot-_Poster.jpg

This, more or less

But Warner Brothers wanted to have an original animated feature to compete directly with Disney, Columbia, and Hollywood, and thus launched a feature based on King Arthur and the Quest for the Holy Grail. Producers Max Howard and Phillip Rothman reframed it into a more straightforward King Arthur story centered around Excalibur that became The Battle for Camelot. Taking cues from the 1981 film Excalibur, as well as Disney’s 1961 The Sword in the Stone and the 1960 musical Camelot, The Battle for Camelot suffered from executive micromanagement and constantly changing ideas on what they wanted, causing serious delays and overruns as whole segments of completed pencil tests went into the bin, and leading to bad tonal inconsistencies. An Oscar bait song by Celine Dion and a by-the-numbers Broadway-style sound track by Carole Bayer Sager and David Foster did little to elevate the larger picture.

“They couldn’t decide whether they wanted a romantic Disney-style musical, and exciting action piece, or a child-friendly sing-along,” said lead animator Tom Ruegger years later in an interview. “In reality, they wanted all three at the same time, so they got a film that sucked equally in all three respects. And don’t get me started on [Warner Brothers President and COO] John Peters trying to shoehorn in a giant spider for some reason.”

Despite the interference, the experienced animation teams[1] managed to fill the reels and produce a well-animated film that broke even at the box office despite brutal competition from Disney’s Heart of Ice and Columbia’s Beauty and the Beast and made fair sales on home video. “It’s a testament to the talent of the teams at New Termite Terrace that it came out as well as it did,” said Ruegger. “It was a stark lesson in the limits of top-down animation, and it nearly saw the end of Warner feature animation not based on TV IP.”

Continued tomorrow...

[1] Compare to our timeline, where WB was just attempting to spin up a brand-new feature animation team, adding in severe growing pains on top of everything else, leading to the critically reviled forgettable flop The Quest for Camelot.

“They couldn’t decide whether they wanted a romantic Disney-style musical, and exciting action piece, or a child-friendly sing-along,” said lead animator Tom Ruegger years later in an interview. “In reality, they wanted all three at the same time, so they got a film that sucked equally in all three respects. And don’t get me started on [Warner Brothers President and COO] John Peters trying to shoehorn in a giant spider for some reason.”

Never change, Peters, never change.

jazzy retelling of the Chanticleer story featuring Jean-Claude Van Damme as Chanticleer
Okay, A D-Hopper would be worth seeing how he fares in animation and voice acting. Does he even sing?

I honestly hoped Quest for Camelot would fare better ITTL. Someone should have brought it up when we had the chance.
I guess its not based off a book ITTL unlike ours?

new Animation VP David Stainton, another ex-Disney animator, which led to 1999’s The City of Gold, based on an idea that Disney had in the pipeline and intended to dual with that picture.
Hopefylly it keeps the two leads' downright homoerotic relations, no way in hell will this TL miss out on it!

Last edited:
I’m guessing that MacFarlane would be considerably more restrained because he’s adapting a beloved classic rather than creating a new IP. I’m guessing that any mature humour would take the form of “jokes for the parents” since clearly The Flintstones is going to be an actual family show.

"But Disney’s big screen supremacy was being challenged like never before." - competition is healthy no?

"Disney suffered a prestige loss, with Bird Brain and Fox/Filmation’s The Iron Giant beating odds-on favorite The Hunchback of Notre Dame"- at least they lost to a Good film and not some knock-off. Shows how strong/good the competition has to be to beat the Mouse. Its a bar few will reach.

"Science Fiction Film Noir Ray Gunn." - sounds like something ITTL me might have watched actually.

"Michael Keaton (Ray), Michelle Pfeiffer (Venus), David Hyde Pierce (Sparks), and Steve Buscemi (Errol)." - good cast. I imagine that's where a lot of that budget went.

"Spirit of the West began in 1994,"- but is it a musical?

"It ended up making $187 million against its $75 million in cost," - not a bad take. I suspect it does well on video.

"Disney’s Kindred Spirits"- Looking forward to more detail on this.

"Universal Animation team," - hope things settle down for them after all the mergers and management shuffling. Nice logo @Nerdman3000

"Balto struggled against Disney’s The Swan Princess and barely made its $33 million budget back," - possibly a lesson in going up against the Mouse heh?

"The result would be The City of Gold." - Eldorado? Hope it lasts longer than the BBC soap...

"1998 release of Beauty and the Beast, to be followed in 1999 by The Velveteen Rabbit and in 2001 by Ruler of the Roost,"- busy schedule for Bluth there. All seem to be lesser works in the sense they do not set the box office alight?

"1998’s The Flintstones: Home on the Rocks,"- Nice plot there. Fred and Barney as stay at home Dad's would indeed be a clever flip.

"1999 Primetime TV reboot of The Flintstones on CBS with McFarlane as head writer" - nice work Seth. Seems you found a solid gig.

"the eventual arrival of the Great Gazoo" - hummm interesting.

"but most aficionados of the DC Animated universe agreed that there was “something missing”." - yeah, the people who made the originals good?

"The Battle for Camelot suffered from executive micromanagement and constantly changing ideas" - execs gotta exec?

"John Peters trying to shoehorn in a giant spider for some reason.” - too much Tolkien?

Interesting animation update there @Geekhis Khan

A lot of interesting stuff here. Sad to see that The Battle for Camelot is still a bit of a mess, but glad it's better than OTL's Quest. And it looks like they aren't even pretending it's based on The King's Damosel, which is better than saying you are and then ... not doing that. (Yes, this is one of my pet peeves. I discovered the Vera Chapman novella in a collection of Arthurian stories when I was a teenager, and was absolutely horrified when that disaster gave her a "based on" credit a few years later.)

Non-Disney Animation V b
Chapter 14: Beyond the Digital Frontier, 1996-Present (Cont'd)
From In the Shadow of the Mouse, Non-Disney Animation 1960-2000, by Joshua Ben Jordan

disney-toontown-modern-logo-png.756201
cartoon-city-logo-with-text-png.749903
1654919379221-png.756993

(Images by @ExowareMasses)

The great animation renaissance continued on the small screen as well, with consumers now able to choose from tons of content between the competing networks of Disney Toon Town, Cartoon City, and Neptune, with Fox Family also producing numerous Filmation products.

Flintstones_2013.jpeg

(Image source Lost Media Wiki)

Cartoon City was mixing Hanna-Barbera classics with original, often third-party content, be that reruns of Seth MacFarlane’s musical-esque reboot of The Flintstones from CBS Primetime or Kickin’ Studios’ stylized, anime-inspired Dexter’s Laboratory. It launched Sunburst as a showcase for Japanese Anime. But it was also, controversially, starting to experiment with more adult fare, leading to the post-watershed Adult Swim lineup starting in 1997 with insane adult reframing of old HB IP as Harvey Birdman, Ace Attorney and Sea Lab 2022. Mike Lazzo saw this as a chance to catch the growing wave of MTV- and HBO-based T-rated animated programming. The success of Adult Swim would spawn competing post-watershed blocks like Toon Town’s Pleasure Island and Neptune’s NGAGE block, the latter name chosen after the somewhat-suggestive Uranus was overwhelmingly rejected and Pluto abandoned after the legal team feared a lawsuit by Disney.

disney-pleasure-island-logo-png.749344

(Image by @ExowareMasses)
Warner’s Neptune by this point was looking for new options in general. It was winding down the popular Star Snakes, a sci-fi cartoon made by Zodiac Entertainment[1] that premiered in 1990 and is sometimes considered the “last of its kind” following in the footsteps of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and the rest of the 1980s Merch-Driven shows. It focused on heroic alien snakes led by the heroic Vipmed who land in Arizona after escaping space pirates who attacked the ark taking members of their race, the Serpentines, to build a colony on a jungle planet after meteor destroyed their home world. They are initially hostilely received on earth, but slowly gain the trust of humans starting with social marginally people but later turn most of the general public to their side, particularly as they help protect earth from the villainous Deathrattle and other often otherworldly threats. Star Snakes was praised for its message of how looks and people can be deceiving, and the importance of communicating, trying to get along with people who are different, and being honest and trustworthy. The Star Snakes toy line, made by Olmec toys, became quite popular in the early 1990s.

spongeboy.jpeg

(Image source 97.5 KLAK)

But if Star Snakes offered an interesting “last of its kind”, animator Stephen Hillenburg, who’d worked on My Dog Zero, would produce something radically different and even surreal. Long a fan of the ocean and oceanic life, and a fan of Ween’s The Mollusk, which lingered in his mind, Hillenburg pitched an idea called Intertidal, primarily centered around an anthropomorphic sponge narrating a story of life in the ocean’s intertidal zone. It would eventually evolve into 1997’s radically weird and deliberately immature SpongeBoy[2], which followed the painfully-naïve titular sponge as he adapted to adulthood despite his childish immaturity. The show in some ways followed on from the Hoerk & Gatty vein, being silly, surreal, and boundary-pushing, but also took inspiration from Dexter’s Lab and Trout Man as well, with some cinematic, anime-inspired action, but surrounding the lowest of stakes from stealing a secret recipe for fast food to discovering what someone was getting for their birthday gift. It regularly mixed in non-sequitur aspects like live action segments, alternate animation styles (like stop motion or anime inspired), and genre shifts (suddenly becoming a romantic comedy halfway through an adventure plot only to then go full slapstick-pie-fight. The sheer insanity of the mix of differing tropes, all done with a madcap, slapstick surrealism, captured a wide audience from young kids to stressed-out adults. Largely G-rated, it occasionally pushed into PG.

Triad-Cube-channel-logo.png

(Image by ExowareMasses)

Fox was grabbing a surprising market share both on Fox Family and the Fox Kids block on PFN due in particular to their control of the popular Star Trek and Star Wars distribution licenses, with Triad Television President Lucie Salhany feeling that it was time to compete in the crowded sphere. Even with Fox Chair Lisa Henson supporting the effort, Triad would be the last of the century to make their own cable channel with animation as its main focus. In 1999, emboldened by the success of Fox Kids, it launched Cube[3], the name a play upon “cubing” and the numerology of three (a nod to the Triad name), with Tom Nunan as inaugural president. To carve out a niche, Cube would look to the many science fiction properties in the library of Triad and Filmation and make them the focus, with the bumpers and adverts being space-themed. Naturally, Star Wars and Star Trek were the flagships of the channel, with Planet of the Apes being an honorary third tentpole. Behind them came revivals of Filmation’s shows, like Neo BraveStarr and a clunkily-titled reboot of Masters of the Universe titled He-Man and She-Ra: Protectors of the Power Universe. Both reboots would be marginally successful for the channel, but the He-Man and She-Ra reboot would give the two Eternian heroes their dues as genuine superheroes.

n9d2tweUvVmjgiRwFXZCXA.jpg

(Image source Games Radar)

Universal/Hollywood/DiC would continue to push boundaries in an attempt to stand out among the competition. One of the more groundbreaking pre-Universal HA/DiC shows of the mid-90s was Miracleman: Olympus[4]. Based heavily on, and set after the events of the 1992 Alex Proyas Miracleman film, Olympus was based on issue 16 of the Eclipse Comics title by Alan Moore and animated and written by HA/DiC in collaboration with Penguin Animation and Cosgrove Hall Productions. Debuting on ABC and ITV in 1994 alongside Grizzly Tales for Gruesome Kids and Where on Earth is Carmen Sandiego?, the series showed the continued adventures of Miracleman (played by Seán Barrett), the superhero who spent most of his career in a simulation, after the destruction of London in the movie, as he and his superpowered allies slowly save the world...from itself. They do this by slowly taking over human civilization as the “New Gods of Earth” and “resolving all of humanity’s many problems and ills” over the course of two seasons, whether the lesser beings want their help or not.

Amid all of this, HA/DiC was going through a tumultuous time, and many noticed similarities in the behaviors and mannerisms of the Miracleman characters to the characteristics of ABC executives like Michael Eisner, Bob Iger, Jeff Katzenberg, Sumner Redstone, and Daniel Burke. Some wonder if the Olympian takeover was a subtle reflection of the slow political gamesmanship of the many senior executives. Just as the series was airing, Eisner would be out and Iger and Katzenberg ascendant. It would end its run just about the time that Universal Pictures would famously merge with Hollywood/ABC in early 1995, a deal ironically set up by the outgoing Eisner

Many of the projects in production at Hollywood Animation would subsequently be either cancelled or be shared between both studios’ locations as the reshuffling happened. The newly-formed Universal Animation would be put in charge of Hollywood’s projects with production moved to Universal City and set to air on ABC and participating cable channels. Not wanting to be outdone by the other companies in the cable animation space, Jeffrey Katzenberg took a lengthy inventory of what the Universal, ABC, DiC, and Viacom libraries gave him, and saw fit to create his own kid-friendly animation block. The result was spinning off ABC’s early morning kid’s block Kid Kingdom[5], with Chris Meledandri as the first president. The block’s branding was heavily themed around Ancient Egypt, especially the Sphinx as seen on most Hollywood Pictures blockbusters in its first 10 or so years of operation; the desert setting also lent itself thematically to a sandbox theme.

1658667704275-png.761038

Like a darker version of this

One of the most successful was Mummies: Warriors of the Dead, an action cartoon that would be co-produced between it and Ivan Reitman’s Northern Lights Entertainment, about a group of living mummies who defend an archaeologist mother and her son from an evil sorcerer due to the son being the reincarnation of the god Ra. Originally made for syndication, the second season would air on Kid Kingdom, a natural fit given the channel’s initial Ancient Egyptian theme. The series would even gain a crossover with Universal’s The Mummy in a TV film titled Mummies: Tomb of Imhotep.

Of course, it was mostly U/HA/DiC that picked up the slack of programming, given their history as a whole, and nowhere was that more obvious than in two of the network’s first original shows, General Gadget and a continuation of The Mysterious Cities of Gold, which the latter gives ‘80s kids a conclusion to DiC’s final Audiovisuel project. While the former is an action-laced anime-inspired sequel series to Inspector Gadget, with Penny in a more important role than in the original show, notably by having Dr. Claw get smart for once, and discover that Penny was the lynchpin behind all his undoing the whole time. Unfortunately for him, doing this activated Gadget’s “parental defense code”, which forced him to grow a pair and actually take charge to save his niece.

screenshot_20220209-072224-jpg.718123

Something like this (Image source megagrozov on Instagram)

With Disney, Warner Bros., Columbia, Triad, and Hollywood Animation all getting into the 24/hour business, it left the smaller big names, such as Wayward Entertainment and Nelvana, scrambling to find some long-term partners when the new millennium hit.

i-077-n-exit-045-3.jpg

The Inspiration (Image AAroads.com)

Wayward Entertainment, meanwhile, would partner with artist and writer Everett Peck on his cult classic Trout Man, the story of Gil Troutman (Will Ferrell), a simple North Carolina river trout mutated by the radiation from nearby Barium Springs, which was polluted by the machinations of the evil urban sprawl developer C. R. Copperplate (Wallace Shawn), who is in reality a mutated cockroach attempting to engineer the environmental collapse of human civilization, in large part through the creation of soul-sucking poorly planned gray-space urban sprawl, to make the world safe for his “kind”. He is doing this with his nefarious 2-X Machine (pronounced “deuce-ex”). It was an idea inspired by a road sign[6] Peck encountered while driving back to New York following a failed pitch to Hanna-Barbera in Atlanta.

Gil Troutman takes on the superhero mantle of Trout Man while juggling a dead-end day job as an insurance claims adjuster and trying to maintain his dysfunctional romance with the lovely park ranger Virginia Pine (Katey Segal). Virginia was in turn from the large and wealthy Pine family (the “Norfolk Pines”), with each family member’s name based on a different species of pine tree: father Red Pine (Stacy Keech), mother Elizabeth White-Pine (Betty White), jailbait teenage sister Loblolly Pine (Brittany Murphy), cowboy cousin Ponderosa Pine, hippie uncle Longleaf Pine, Native American cousin Lodgepole Pine, senile grandmother Wollemi Pine, etc. Reluctantly aided by his angry and passive-aggressive “mentor”, the mutated catfish blues player Scummy Bottoms (whom he dismissively refers to as his “magic catfish”; voiced by Keith David), the borderline sociopathic Troutman/Trout Man always proves to be his own worst enemy.

The T-rated series, which ran from 1993-1997 on FX, was unapologetically politically incorrect with Troutman a horrible, self-righteous jerk and borderline sociopath whose worst impulses got even worse when assuming the mantle of Trout Man. A running gag of the show involved Virginia Pine being in love with the seemingly unassuming Gil Troutman and appalled by his arrogant and mansplaining “heroic” alter-ego, even as Troutman assumed that the opposite was true and constantly tried to impress her as Troutman, usually accidentally foiling her ingenious efforts to expose and stop Copperplate’s evil plans as he “saved” her again and again.

howard_the_duck_cover.jpg

(Image source Hollywood Reporter)

Trout Man, in turn, allegedly inspired Howard the Duck[7], a UPA/Disney collaboration starring Jason Alexander as the titular foul-mouthed fowl. Playing on Disney’s Pleasure Island block, the series represented the first collaboration between Disney and the “Commies down the river” as Walt and his executives had derisively called the founders of the original UPA, who were disgruntled former Disney employees. Famous for its irreverent topical humor and willingness to bite the hands that fed it, it would also have Marvel heroes show up in small roles and cameos, often to their detriment. Spider Ham was a frequent guest, and “friendly nemesis” for Howard. Additionally, Marvel “in jokes” were common, such as plots involving Tony Stark’s alcoholism, Wolverine’s “anger management” issues (with Professor Hulk as his “sponsor”), or Howard trying to solve a mystery in regards to an obviously-abusive Hank Pym towards Janet Van Dyne. It would run for four seasons and remains a cult classic.

screenshot_20220316-151458-jpg.727071

(Image source ibtrav on Instagram)

And perhaps most bizarrely, Bird Brain developed Starman: The Animated Series (1994-1999)[8], a high concept musical animated series from the minds of David Bowie and Bruce Timm, which was among the first shows greenlit for MTV. The series was known for pushing the limits not just in subject matter, delving heavily into LGBTQ tropes in particular, but in animation, blending multiple animation types and live action in what Timm called “anicollage”. It would win multiple Emmys, Annies, and other awards for its animation, music, and editing. It had a modest but fanatical audience and remains a cult classic known for its non-linear plots, Lynchian mind-screw, boundary-pushing plots and tropes, and memorable musical sound track as much for its idiosyncratic animation.

But of the small studios, the one who would take the biggest step would be the British stop-mo studio Aardman Animations, whose Wallace & Gromit and Creature Comforts Shorts had won numerous awards and gained the small studio numerous fans. And now they were about to embark on their first big budget, feature length production.

“Back in ’95 I had this idea for a sort of The Great Escape film, but with chickens,” said Peter Lord. “But then [Finding] Nemo beat us to the punch there. We put that idea on hold[9]. Jim Henson over at Disney was eager to do a Wallace & Gromit film, since he loved the Shorts and even played them in the US, though the Board seemed to think that it needed a family angle, for some bizarre reason. So, we thought about that, or possibly a spin-off based on Shawn the Sheep, who appeared in A Close Shave, though I think a lot of the Yanks missed the Shawn/Shorn pun. We kicked around more ideas. Perhaps a pet rat that ends up in a sewer? James Bond with toads and frogs?”

“It wasn’t just Disney [approaching Aardman],” said Nick Park. “Columbia and Universal were both talking to us, as was Pearson’s Penguin Productions, who’d just bought Pathé, Pinewood, and a peck of other ‘P’ properties in what I imagine is a singularly bizarre ‘P’ obsession on Daly’s part. They were aggressively pursuing us, not just for partnership, but for merger, or at least an underwrite. They suggested that we’d still get to work with Disney for US distribution since they had an ‘in’ as they called it. We considered the deal, ultimately partnering for distribution, but put corporate ties on hold, preferring to remain private if we could.”

hqdefault.jpg

Time for training, yea?(Image source YouTube)

And then the idea for the “Tortoise and the Hare” came up. The classic Fable seemed a good option, though there was little that could be done with the original story. “Either the Tortoise wins per the original,” said Park, “Or the Hare wins in a twist. Not much to hang a picture on. But then we thought, well, what comes after the race?”

“We even ended up flipping the script on Disney Digital after the Nemo thing, actually,” said Lord with a laugh, “in this case with respect to the Tortoise/Hare subtext in Sparky. It came strangely full-circle.”

Thus was born the first Aardman feature animation: Tortoise v. Hare, which began production in late 1996 with a planned 1999/2000 release, directed by Lord, designed by Park, written by Karey Kirkpatrick, produced by Penguin, and distributed in partnership with Walt Disney. It would be Aardman’s biggest challenge to date.

[1] Developed by @Goldwind2.

[2] Originally going to have this name, but in our timeline an actual mop product grabbed the name first. Needless to say, it evolved into Sponge Bob Square Pants in our timeline. Will, strangely enough, be even weirder than our timeline’s show, fully embracing the surrealism and becoming a borderline “Dada comedy” on occasions.

[3] By @Plateosaurus.

[4] See a full description here written by @Igeo654.

[5] Also by @Plateosaurus.

[6] Based on a true story involving my wife and I that led to this wacky floating idea that never went anywhere. Mrs. Khan and I encountered the road sign around 15 years ago and made jokes for the rest of the drive about how the barium from the springs is probably what mutated the trout-man. The actual road sign is posted above. In our timeline, of course, Peck’s idea was for a duck detective, which became Duckman.

[7] Battered fedora tips to @TheFaultsofAlts and @TheKennedyMachine.

[8] Psychedelic space helmet tip to @MNM041.

[9] I know, I know…butterflies are a bitch sometimes.

Last edited:
Well that is a very interesting set of animated products there. In the UK even with cable and satellite services coming on stream my ITTL self would not have seen a lot of this since we didn’t have such services- barring butterflies in ITTL me’s life of course!

Would certainly be interesting whatever Star Trek animation gets made, or shown- esp since we had Star Trek: Excelsior earlier on, plus Captain Data and the Klarg show.

“General Gadget and a continuation of The Mysterious Cities of Gold,” - may end up on BBC 1 kids ‘block’ since I am sure they broadcast the originals.

I can see Miracleman: Olympus being picked up by a channel like Channel 4 - it’s their kind of social commentary stuff.

The Howard the Duck show I can see ending up on cable/satellite but might be fun to dig out on video later.

Starman and anything done by Ardman would be eagerly snapped up by UK main broadcasters. I *think* the BBC got the Ardman stuff first over here, but that’s from memory. Starman I could see on ITV for some reason.

Nice that animation is doing so well. Thank you @Geekhis Khan and the other contributors.

Last edited:
These are some excellent animated productions that are coming up for both film and TV. I'm especially interested in Don Bluth's Beauty and the Beast, so I'll happily wait for a post for that specific film. A shame that Disney was brought down a few pegs, but healthy competition is necessary for a thriving industry.

Seth McFarlane's Flintstones movie and TV show is quite the butterfly, but I am glad that he is seeing success, though maybe the reboot will last shorter than Family Guy since it's a reboot?

Cartoon City was mixing Hanna-Barbera classics with original, often third-party content, be that reruns of Seth MacFarlane’s musical-esque reboot of The Flintstones from CBS Primetime or Kickin’ Studios’ stylized, anime-inspired Dexter’s Laboratory. It launched Toonami as a showcase for Japanese Anime.
Sorry about nitpicking, but it should be Sunburst for Cartoon City since Toonami is firmly under Nickelodeon ITTL.

It would eventually evolve into 1997’s radically weird and deliberately immature SpongeBoy[2], which followed the painfully-naïve titular sponge as he adapted to adulthood despite his childish immaturity.
Guess Spongebob survived somewhat intact, albeit in a much wackier and more surreal direction. Time will tell whether it will gain the same popularity and longevity as its original counterpart.

[6] Based on a true story involving my wife and I that led to this wacky floating idea that never went anywhere. Mrs. Khan and I encountered the road sign around 15 years ago and made jokes for the rest of the drive about how the barium from the springs is probably what mutated the trout-man. The actual road sign is posted above. In our timeline, of course, Peck’s idea was for a duck detective, which became Duckman.
What a fun story.

Last edited:
Warner’s Neptune by this point was looking for new options in general. It was winding down the popular Star Snakes, a sci-fi cartoon made by Zodiac Entertainment[1] that premiered in 1990 and is sometimes considered the “last of its kind” following in the footsteps of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and the rest of the 1980s Merch-Driven shows. It focused on heroic alien snakes led by the heroic Vipmed who land in Arizona after escaping space pirates who attacked the ark taking members of their race, the Serpentines, to build a colony on a jungle planet after meteor destroyed their home world. They are initially hostilely received on earth, but slowly gain the trust of humans starting with social marginally people but later turn most of the general public to their side, particularly as they help protect earth from the villainous Deathrattle and other often otherworldly threats. Star Snakes was praised for its message of how looks and people can be deceiving, and the importance of communicating, trying to get along with people who are different, and being honest and trustworthy. The Star Snakes toy line, made by Olmec toys, became quite popular in the early 1990s.
As a lover of reptiles and snakes in particular, I'd totally watch it. On a more saucey note I feel like a lot of scaleys are gonna be born from thos, especially if there are female members of the team.
Perhaps as Psycho Rangers you have a team of mongeese.

One of the most successful was Mummies: Warriors of the Dead, an action cartoon that would be co-produced between it and Ivan Reitman’s Northern Lights Entertainment, about a group of living mummies who defend an archaeologist mother and her son from an evil sorcerer due to the son being the reincarnation of the god Ra. Originally made for syndication, the second season would air on Kid Kingdom, a natural fit given the channel’s initial Ancient Egyptian theme. The series would even gain a crossover with Universal’s The Mummy in a TV film titled Mummies: Tomb of Imhotep.
Was kind of expecting an image for it. Here's one you can add in.
1658667704275.png

Like this but a bit darker then IOTL.

Great update, BTW.

Last edited:
Neat idea to basically split Duckman into two shows rather than just the usual allohistorical counterpart. We'll also have to see if this creates enough butterflies to avoid Brittany Murphy's death (ruled as pneumonia, but her drug abuse definitely contributed, so maybe Jim could get her some help too).

These all look fun, although I'd probably pass on a few of the more adult ones, just as I did OTL. (I mean, it didn't help that I was completely unfamiliar with Birdman etc. in their original forms, because if they ever made it to UK TV it was before my time.)

Looking forward to Aardman's first feature, even if it isn't Chicken Run.

Howard trying to solve a mystery in regards to an obviously-abusive Hank Pym towards Janet Van Dyne. It would run for four seasons and remains a cult classic.
This looks good, but I will reiterate that I hate jokes about Hank Pym being an abuser because 1. The incident of him hitting Janet was meant to be an accident and only looked intentional because of miscommunication between the writer and the artist and 2. Hank is canonically either bipolar or schizophrenic and making him an abuser sends a bad message to people about people with mental illnesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.