Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently working on a guest post that basically revolves around National Lampoon managing to improve and not become the shell of itself it's become today. Anyone have any suggestions for movies that could end up becoming National Lampoon movies ITTL?

I suppose that depends on who you ask.

Since being elected in 1990, she has as of 1994:
-Signed a very favorable legislative and Congressional map for Democrats in California
-Signed a similar, if slightly higher, tax increase package to balance the budget.
-Signed a ban on employment discrimination based on sexual orientation
-Continued infrastructure projects that Wilson ended IOTL.
-Similar to Wilson, signed into law a state based health coverage plan with some subsidies for kids...a lot of this will be boosted by Gore's healthcare bill.
-Notably didn't pursue welfare cuts like Wilson did.
-She didn't oppose Prop 187 per se but she also didn't back it to the hilt like Wilson did, instead calling on the federal government to "step up" on illegal immigration. It still passed, but by a more narrow 55-45 margin.
-ITTL Enron doesn't have a Governor on board with energy deregulation with Feinstein there.
-Prop 184, the three strike law, is also implement but so is another initiative banning assault weapons and restricting other weapons sales in the state of California.

Republicans are a bit shocked that she was re-elected even while the ballot initiatives passed and Pete Wilson was re-elected.
Sounds like an awesome govenor. Who is her lieutenant governor?

Sounds like an awesome govenor. Who is her lieutenant governor?
Kathleen Brown, Jerry Brown's sister, making the switch from Treasurer to Lt. Governor. This does make California the first state to have a Governor and Lt. Governor both be women; IOTL this only just happened when Andrea Stewart-Cousins became Acting Lt. Governor in New York when Hochul moved up to the top job . IOTL Brown lost to Pete Wilson in the 1994 election.

Last edited:
Kathleen Brown, Jerry Brown's sister, making the switch from Treasurer to Lt. Governor. This does make California the first state to have a Governor and Lt. Governor both be women; IOTL this only just happened when Andrea Stewart-Cousins became Acting Lt. Governor in New York when Hochul moved up to the top job . IOTL Brown lost to Pete Wilson in the 1994 election.
😃👍 Great good stuff! I had a good feeling that was going to be the answer and the case.

I'm currently working on a guest post that basically revolves around National Lampoon managing to improve and not become the shell of itself it's become today. Anyone have any suggestions for movies that could end up becoming National Lampoon movies ITTL?
Maybe, Billy Madison?

Live from DisneySea
Disney Takes to the Sea!
Episode of The Wonderful World of Disney, originally aired Sunday, April 16th, 1995

Heavenly music full of twittering flutes, angelic harp, and triumphant trombone plays.

Title Card: “The Wonderful World of Disney”

A vintage black-and-white animated Tinkerbell flies on screen, tapping the screen with her wand. A firework-like burst of magic WIPES to a new screen with a vintage color Tinkerbell, who likewise taps the screen to reveal an even newer animated Tink, who in turn reveals a modern fully-CG Tink, taking us through the ages.

Announcer (V.O.)
It’s the Wonderful World of Disney! Coming to you in living color! A journey into magic, imagination, and joy!​

VquEwUNaIW0wXWDfxoSHAPI5iFgyHmdJ9IiV8lBuuDY.jpg

Just a part of it (Image source Reddit)

Tink now flies us through the clouds to an idealized Disney Castle (CG), down and up to the highest window in the tallest tower, and through the open window taking us to…

Int – Office
A comfortable office with a Midcentury-style wooden desk. A shelf full of books and figurines of various classic Disney characters. A giant picture window displays beautiful tropical ocean waters. A masted ship sails in the distance. The sun is rising slowly. ROY DISNEY sits at the desk. ROBIN the Frog sits next to him on the desk. They silently talk to one another as we DOLLY IN and the music fades out.

Roy
(looks to camera) Oh, hello, I didn’t see you there! I’m Roy Disney and with me today is Robin the Frog, nephew of Kermit!​

ROY gently rests his hand on ROBIN’S shoulder.

Roy
Hey Robin, I bet you didn’t know that I have a famous uncle too!

Robin (Jerry Nelson)
Really, Mr. Roy?

Roy
Yes, my uncle was Walt Disney.

Robin
Really?! “Uncle Walt” was your actual Uncle, Walt?

Roy
Absolutely, Robin! And Uncle Walt loved the ocean.

Robin
Me too, Mr. Roy! In fact, I bet that Uncle Walt would have loved the new DisneySea resort! I know I sure did!

Roy
Why yes, he absolutely would have. DisneySea is a celebration of the ocean with aquariums, sea life rescue, exciting user experiences, and even real boat trips out into the Pacific Ocean itself! My friend, Mr. Dick Nunis, tells me it’s the Crown Jewel of Disney Resorts!

Robin
Oh boy! Can we go see it, Mr. Roy?

Roy
Why, I thought that you’d never ask! Your uncle Kermit is waiting for us right now!​

ROY and ROBIN turn to the window, which magically transforms into an image of the DisneySea Resort, the bubble-like Oceana building in the background. We ZOOM IN until it fills the screen.

Ext – DisneySea – Day
KERMIT the FROG and FOZZIE BEAR, the former in his reporter’s hat and jacket and holding a microphone, stand in front of Oceana.

DisneySea-1.jpg

Oceana (Image source Long Beach Post)

Kermit (Jim Henson)
Hi-ho and welcome one and all to the fabulous, amazing, incredible DisneySea Resort in Long Beach, California, which is opening very soon! YAAAYYYY!!!

Fozzie (Frank Oz)
(taps KERMIT on the shoulder) Be sure to tell them about the Mysterious Island, Kermit.

Kermit
I will Fozzie. So Dis…

Fozzie
(interrupting) And you need to tell them about Swashbuckler Lagoon.

Kermit
(frowns at FOZZIE) I, um, will, Fozzie…

Fozzie
Oh! Oh, and the tidal exchange pool, don’t forget that.

Kermit
(shaking with anger) Will you just let me do this?!?!

Fozzie
Sheesh, you need to calm down, Kermit, you’re starting to turn green.​

KERMIT scowls while FOZZIE mugs to the camera, ears wiggling.

Kermit
(scowling) Let’s just go to Jacques Roach at Port Disney, where the SS Oceanic is just docking with our inaugural guests. Jacques?​

WIPE TO…

Ext – Port Disney – Day
JACQUES ROACH, microphone in hand, stands in front of the red hull of the SS Oceanic. Her horn fills the air. Passengers are disembarking, mostly families. Some wave to the camera.

%22Southern_Cross%22_-_Copenhagen%2C_1995.jpg
1653726653100.png

(Image sources Wikiwand and muppet.fandom.com)

Jacques (Steve Whitmire)
Zanks you, Messer Kair-may, an’ ‘ello to all of vous. We are at zee Port Deez-nay where zee Sheep eez about to diz-em-bairk. (turns) An’ a beautiful, lovely Sheep she eez. It ‘as a long time been zince I have zee Sheep zeen. Pazzenjairs are now moving past, all exzited zoo zee zee Deez-nay Zee, oui? Eet eez a beautiful place, but not az beautiful az zee Sheep ‘erself!​

JACQUES turns again to seemingly admire the SS Oceanic.

Jacques
Oh, my beautiful Sheep, where are vous?

Sheep Muppet (Fran Brill)
(enters from screen right) I’mmm right heeere, mon amooooour!​

JACQUES turns to the SHEEP, opens his four arms wide, mouth agape.

Jacques
Zee beautiful Sheep!! At last, vous have diz-em-bairked! Come to moi, mon cher!​

JACQUES gives the SHEEP a big hug.

Jacques
Back to vous, Kair-may!​

WIPE TO…

Ext – DisneySea – Day

Fozzie
(wiping tear from his eye) Young love.

Kermit
Thank you, Jacques, it is truly an exciting day! Those passengers, of course, are going to be the first guests to experience the magic of DisneySea, but the park will fully open to all very soon!

Fozzie
Kermit, can we go to the Spruce Goose next?

Kermit
Actually, Fozzie, we were going to see Oceana next.

Fozzie
It’s just that I have the (pokes KERMIT to accentuate) perfect joke for the occasion. The Spruce Goose waddles into a restaurant with a rubber chicken, and the waiter…

Kermit
(interrupts) Um, Fozzie, you do realize that the Spruce Goose is a plane, not an actual goose, right?

Fozzie
(beat; hand in mouth) Um…yea, yea, I knew that.

Kermit
I think it’s time to see my nephew Robin in Oceana.

Fozzie
Wait! Wait! I got it! The Spruce Goose flies into the hangar with a rubber biplane…

Kermit
(ignoring FOZZIE) Robin?​

WAVE-LIKE WIPE TO…

Int – Oceana – Aquarium Reef Tank
ROBIN the Frog and STEWART, a docent, stand in front of the Coral Reef Tank inside Oceana. A group of YOUNG CHILDREN sit around, watching them. Fish swim by in the water behind them.

Robin
Thanks, Uncle Kermit. I’m here with Mr. Stewart, who is telling us about the Coral Reefs!

Stewart
Yes, Robin. This tank behind us has the fish that we’d normally find in the coral reefs of the Caribbean. (points) That’s an Angelfish and the really big one in the background is a Grouper.

Robin
Neat-o! Are there any Mermaids?​

All the CHILDREN laugh.

Stewart
(chuckles) No, Robin, Mermaids are fun to imagine, but they don’t exist in real life. Though you will occasionally see a manatee in the actual Caribbean, which would be unethical to keep in a tank here. Manatees and the related dugong are thought to have inspired the mermaid legend.​

The CHILDREN start to cheer when ARIEL from The Little Mermaid (actor in costume) swims up in the tank. ARIEL waves and holds her finger to her lips in a “shush” gesture. The CHILDREN laugh.

b94626123cefa57dbde630478c973f8c.jpg

(Image source Megan Weeks on Pinterest)

Robin
(does a double-take seeing ARIEL) Are you sure there are no actual mermaids, Mr. Stewart?

Stewart
(not seeing ARIEL) I’m afraid not, Robin.​

The CHILDREN laugh and call out and point. ARIEL waves and swims away as the CHILDREN cheer and wave and say goodbye to her. Stewart turns just as she leaves.

Stewart
Oh, wow, will you look at that!! Amazing! Beautiful!! Do you children see that parrotfish?! (points to a colorful fish) Amazing specimen! They use their parrot-like bill to eat the living coral!

Robin
(shakes head, turns to camera) Let’s head to the Tidal Pool next! Come along!​

ROBIN walks to screen left. WIPE LEFT with him to…

Int – Oceana – Tidal Exchange Pool
ROBIN and DR. LAURA, an ichthyologist, stand in front of the glass walls of the Tidal Exchange Pool, which is currently near High Tide. Fish swim, crabs scuttle, and kelp waves in the water. Natural sunlight shines through the water.

Robin
And now we’re at the Tidal Exchange pool with Dr. Laura, who is an icky-sea-ologist.

Dr. Laura
(laughs) It’s pronounced “ichthyologist”, which means I’m a scientist who studies fish and other sea life.

Robin
That sounds like an important job!

Dr. Laura
It is, Robin, particularly now since so many oceanic habitats are in jeopardy from pollution, development, and climate change.

Robin
But wouldn’t rising sea levels be good for the ocean?

Dr. Laura
Well, not really, since the melting glaciers can disrupt critical ocean currents and the added carbon in the air can dissolve into the waters, making them more acidic.

Robin
That sounds bad.

Dr. Laura
It can be. One such endangered habitat, and one close to all the citizens of California – in fact, many of us see it every day – is right behind us. This Tidal Exchange Pool is open to the ocean and the tides go up and down throughout the day. The ocean just outside looks a lot like this with a lot of the same creatures and kelp. It’s at high tide at the moment, but come back here in a few hours and the water level will be much lower.

Robin
Wow! And I bet we see some interesting creatures, like those two fish.

Dr. Laura
(looks) Huh…those aren’t native species to this habitat!​

Basically these two (Image source Entertainment Weekly)

Up swim FIN and MARLA from Finding Nemo (digital puppets).

Fin (John Goodman)
(knocks on glass) Um, hello? Have any of you seen my son Nemo? He’s about yay big (gestures), colored like me, had a shrunken left fin.

Robin
I’m afraid not, sir. Dr. Laura?

Dr. Laura
There are some clownfish living in the reef tank, but none of them are named Nemo.

Marla (Amy Sedaris)
Well, a fat lot of good you two are. Hey, (looking around) which way to the Sidney Opera House? I think the place we’re looking for should be near there.

Robin
Sidney Opera House? I’m afraid you’re all the way on the opposite side of the ocean! This is California!

Fin
What!?!? (turns to Marla) How did you lead us to the wrong side of the ocean?!?

Marla
Hey, don’t get salty with me, you anchovy! I followed the directions the turtle gave exactly. “Clockwise with the current for two thousand leagues!” Or was that “two hundred leagues widdershins?” You know, I’ve never actually seen a clock…

Fin
We swam the wrong way!?!?

Marla
I thought that the swim was a bit rough. Maybe we were supposed to go with the current…

Fin
Unbelievable!! Come on, Marla, we’ve got a much, much, MUCH longer swim ahead of us. (turns away) I’m coming, Nemo!!!

Marla
Hey, wait up, Fin! (turns to wave) Bye, y’all, and thanks for the help.

Robin
(waves) No problem, ma’am, sir! Have a safe trip!​

FIN and MARLA swim off to into the distance, their bickering fading into the background.

Robin
Well, that was interesting. Back to you, Uncle Kermit!​

WIPE TO…

Ext – DisneySea – Day

Fozzie
Ahhh…those were some funny fish! They should make a movie!! (mugs to camera)

Kermit
Um, thanks, Robin. Now let’s check in with Link Hogthrob at Swashbuckler Lagoon and a new attraction that’s right up his alley.

Fozzie
Let’s hope he doesn’t ham it up. Get it? Ham? Because he’s a…

Kermit
(scowling, interrupting) We got it, Fozzie. You’ve done enough damage for one day. Moving to Link. Link?​

WIPE TO…

Ext – Swashbuckler Lagoon – Pirates of the Hogribbean Animatronic
LINK HOGTHROB, dressed as a Sea Captain, MISS PIGGY, and Dr. STRANGEPORK stand in front of an animatronic pirate ship filled with audio-animatronic Muppet pirate pigs, including versions of LINK, PIGGY, and STRANGEPORK. They sing and move to The Village People’s “In the Navy”.

Quite similar to this, but with Pirates rather than Vikings…

Link (Jim Henson)
Why, hello, Kermit, and everyone at home. I’m international star and romantic symbol Link Hogthrob, here with Miss Piggy and Julius Strangepork to see the new Pirates of the Hogribbean dining show at Swashbuckler Lagoon at beautiful DisneySea in Long Beach. (looks at the animatronic captain based on him) And that Pirate Captain is a handsome fellow, I must say…

Piggy (Frank Oz)
(to Link) Modest as ever. (to camera, face brightening up) Well, hello! And welcome! I’m Miss Piggy and I’m so happy to introduce vous to the Pirates of the…

Link
(interrupting) Um, my dear, this is my introduction. You can stand in the back and look pretty.

Piggy
(beat) Excuse me, bacon breath?

Strangepork (Jerry Nelson)
(laughing) Careful, Link, you know how emotional she can get!

Piggy
(turns to STRANGEPORK, scowling) You stay out of this, Strangepork.

Link
Now where was I? Oh yes, Swashbuckler Lagoon at DisneySea Resort! Here you can not only see the fabulous show behind me along with fine dining, and next door at Olympus Harbor you can see replicas of historical ships from Ancient Greece to a real submarine, which I plan to tour next!

Strangepork
(laughs) Talk about Ham in a Can!! Besides, the subs are at Mysterious Island, dummy.​

Suddenly a group of Muppet PIRATE PIGS appear, grab MISS PIGGY, and start to carry her off.

Pirate Pig
Yarr, secure the wench! (laughs)

Parrot on Shoulder
(whistles) Secure the wench! (whistles)

Piggy
Ah! Help! Pirates! Help me, Link! Help meee!!!

Link
(oblivious) Swashbuckler Lagoon also offers special day trips and sunset cruises into the Pacific, weather permitting, with some dinner shows featuring your Disney favorites. I like the Haunted Cruise myself…

Strangepork
(seeing PIGGY) Um, Link?

Piggy
Help!! Help!! (aside to pirates) Hey, easy on the ropes! Help meee!!!​

Still yelling, PIGGY is getting tied up to a lamp post.

Link
(musing) Yes, that’s a great time…Haunted Cruise…

Strangepork
LINK!!!

Link
Wait, what? (notices PIGGY) OH! PIGGY! I’ll save you!!​

LINK runs to engage and fight the PIRATES, but is quickly hit by a large club.

Link
(voice wavering, turning to camera) Did anyone get the number of that bus?​

LINK faints and falls off camera.

Piggy
Oh, for the love of…I’ll do it myself, as usual.​

PIGGY muscles her way out of the ropes and starts to beat up all the PIRATES with a series of “hi-yah!” karate chops. STRANGEPORK turns to the camera

Strangepork
Well, I guess it’s back to you, Kermit!

WIPE TO…

Ext – DisneySea – Day

Kermit
Oh dear. Looks like we need some cleanup. Beauregard! Beauregard!!

Fozzie
(looking into the distant left, hand over eyes) Yeesh, that’s going to make a mess.​

BEUREGARD walks up from screen right, a push broom over his shoulder

Beauregard (Dave Goelz)
You called?

Kermit
Yes, Beauregard, there’s a cleanup at Swashbuckler Lagoon. Do you think you can…

Beauregard
Where?​

KERMIT and FOZZIE duck the push broom as BEAUREGARD turns.

Kermit
Swashbuckler Lagoon! (points) Over there!​

KERMIT and FOZZIE duck the broom repeatedly as BEAUREGARD turns again and again.

Beauregard
I’m not seeing…

Kermit
OVER THERE!! THERE!

Beauregard
Oh! I see it!​

BEUREGARD exits to screen left.

Kermit
Yeesh. Um, Roy, we’ll need some time to clean up. Why don’t we cut to commercial?​

PAN BACK into…

Int – Office
ROY and ROBIN are still at the desk. The Window shows DisneySea, KERMIT still on the screen, silently arguing with FOZZIE. It fades to an image of the DisneySea Water Market.

Roy
Thank you, Kermit. (looks to camera) Well, that’s quite the adventure. (turns to ROBIN) And some excellent hosting there, Robin.

Robin
Thank you, Mr. Roy. I had a swell time!

Roy
When we return from commercial, we’ll visit with Joe Ranft and Andrew Stanton as they discuss their new Disney computer-animated film, Finding Nemo. I believe you got to meet two of the lead characters, right, Robin?

Robin
I sure did! Mr. Fin seemed really worried about his son Nemo. I hope that Nemo’s alright!

Roy
I’m sure that Nemo will be fine, Robin. Also, later on The Wonderful World of Disney we’ll return to DisneySea and some of the great rides and experiences there.

Robin
Yea, I’m excited! I wanted to go in the Shark Cage, but Uncle Kermit says that I’m too small.

Roy
Well, Robin, you are a little too young for the Shark Encounter, but there are other rides well suited to guests of your age.

Robin
I swear, I feel like I’m 24.[1]

Roy
(caught off guard by the ad lib) Indeed! We’ll return after these messages, my friends!​

DOLLY BACK. Theme music plays. ROY and ROBIN talk silently together as Tinkerbell appears and uses her magic wand to wipe to commercial.

[1] The Robin the Frog Muppet debuted in 1971 in The Frog Prince.

Last edited:
A vintage black-and-white animated Tinkerbell flies on screen, tapping the screen with her wand. A firework-like burst of magic WIPES to a new screen with a vintage color Tinkerbell, who likewise taps the screen to reveal an even newer animated Tink, who in turn reveals a modern fully-CG Tink, taking us through the ages.
Tink now flies us through the clouds to an idealized Disney Castle (CG), down and up to the highest window in the tallest tower, and through the open window taking us to…
That was probably very expensive for the time, but it's worth it.
Hey Robin, I bet you didn’t know that I have a famous uncle too!

Robin (Jerry Nelson)
Really, Mr. Roy?

Roy
Yes, my uncle was Walt Disney.

Robin
Really?! “Uncle Walt” was your actual Uncle, Walt?

Roy
Absolutely, Robin! And Uncle Walt loved the ocean.
"Sadly he didn't love me. Does widespread resentment also run in your family, Robin?"

Just a little Riff from me.
The CHILDREN start to cheer when ARIEL from The Little Mermaid (actor in costume) swims up in the tank. ARIEL waves and holds her finger to her lips in a “shush” gesture. The CHILDREN laugh.
Is that a regular occurrence or just for the tv show?
Up swim FIN and MARLA from Finding Nemo (digital puppets).

Fin (John Goodman)
(knocks on glass) Um, hello? Have any of you seen my son Nemo? He’s about yay big (gestures), colored like me, had a shrunken left fin.

Robin
I’m afraid not, sir. Dr. Laura?

Dr. Laura
There are some clownfish living in the reef tank, but none of them are named Nemo.

Marla (Amy Sedaris)
Well, a fat lot of good you two are. Hey, (looking around) which way to the Sidney Opera House? I think the place we’re looking for should be near there.

Robin
Sidney Opera House? I’m afraid you’re all the way on the opposite side of the ocean! This is California!

Fin
What!?!? (turns to Marla) How did you lead us to the wrong side of the ocean?!?

Marla
Hey, don’t get salty with me, you anchovy! I followed the directions the turtle gave exactly. “Clockwise with the current for two thousand leagues!” Or was that “two hundred leagues widdershins?” You know, I’ve never actually seen a clock…

Fin
We swam the wrong way!?!?

Marla
I thought that the swim was a bit rough. Maybe we were supposed to go with the current…

Fin
Unbelievable!! Come on, Marla, we’ve got a much, much, MUCH longer swim ahead of us. (turns away) I’m coming, Nemo!!!

Marla
Hey, wait up, Fin! (turns to wave) Bye, y’all, and thanks for the help.

Robin
(waves) No problem, ma’am, sir! Have a safe trip!​
FIN and MARLA swim off to into the distance, their bickering fading into the background.
Nice Teaser.

I didn't expect Finding Nemo so soon, isn't a bit too early? Regardless, after the flop of Brave Little Toaster 3D probably needs something exiting and technologically impressive to justify their existence to the Board.

I'm also curious about the dynamic of the two leads Marlin/Fin seems very similar to his OTL counterpart with maybe a hint of Patcha from Emperor's New Groove while Dory/Marla while still seeming forgetful is much more headstrong and sassy and less of a manic dreamer.

Also this would be Amy Sedaris's first major role in this Timeline isn't it?
Ext – Swashbuckler Lagoon – Pirates of the Hogribbean Animatronic
LINK HOGTHROB, dressed as a Sea Captain, MISS PIGGY, and Dr. STRANGEPORK stand in front of an animatronic pirate ship filled with audio-animatronic Muppet pirate pigs, including versions of LINK, PIGGY, and STRANGEPORK. They sing and move to The Village People’s “In the Navy”.
Now where was I? Oh yes, Swashbuckler Lagoon at DisneySea Resort! Here you can not only see the fabulous show behind me along with fine dining, and next door at Olympus Harbor you can see replicas of historical ships from Ancient Greece to a real submarine, which I plan to tour next!
That's such a cool idea.
Like a mix between Blue Bayou and Country Bears and that in the open air if I'm not mistaken.

And Olympus Harbor sounds very interesting. Are all Ships tourable?
Pirate Pig
Yarr, secure the wench! (laughs)

Parrot on Shoulder
(whistles) Secure the wench! (whistles
I'm surprised that gag was allowed.
Robin
Yea, I’m excited! I wanted to go in the Shark Cage, but Uncle Kermit says that I’m too small.

Roy
Well, Robin, you are a little too young for the Shark Encounter, but there are other rides well suited to guests of your age.
Shark Encounter?

That sounds scary, is it actually like real cage divinv or is it just clever marketing for a completely safe attraction?

Is it a 4D show like Alien Encounter just with a nautical theme?

Great chapter @Geekhis Khan

Very cool. Very cool indeed.

I don't suppose, @Geekhis Khan , we'll have something like the old submarine ride that Disneyland used to have (and that Legoland now has...)

Do you mean Submarine Voyage?

That would be a bit redundant at this point since as far as I remember it should still be in Disneyland.

However I can totally see a walkthrough through the Nautilus like the very first incarnation of the Ride.

I'm surprised that gag was allowed.
I mean: considering the original Pirates of the Caribbean ride used to have a 'wench market' part showing tied-up women being bought and sold by scurvy sea-dogs...
Do you mean Submarine Voyage?

That would be a bit redundant at this point since as far as I remember it should still be in Disneyland.

However I can totally see a walkthrough through the Nautilus like the very first incarnation of the Ride.
Maybe. Though the original Submarine Voyage used animatronics IIRC - if the DisneySea ones used actual fish like the LegoLand attraction does now, it'd fill a niche that the Submarine Voyage doesn't.

Shark Encounter?

That sounds scary, is it actually like real cage divinv or is it just clever marketing for a completely safe attraction?

Is it a 4D show like Alien Encounter just with a nautical theme?
I think uses real sharks that can be kept well in captivity (sandbar, blacktips) and educates vistors on how sharks are beneficial and harmless and not to be feared.

Also, Finding Neo a decade early? Interesting, though I feel it was something butterflied at this point.

Last edited:
I mean: considering the original Pirates of the Caribbean ride used to have a 'wench market' part showing tied-up women being bought and sold by scurvy sea-dogs...
I know and they later changed it because of the unfortunate implications, which makes me wonder if this will happen in ITTL too.
Maybe. Though the original Submarine Voyage used animatronics IIRC - if the DisneySea ones used actual fish like the LegoLand attraction does now, it'd fill a niche that the Submarine Voyage doesn't.
I just find it so ironic because one version of the ride is currently themed to Finding Nemo in OTL.
Also, Finding Neo a decade early? Interesting, though I feel it was something butterflied at this point.
I guess that it was always one of the ideas floating around the Pixar/Disney 3D offices.
I'm just curious how they will manage to pull it off in 1995/1996.

This would be their second completely computer animated film and in our Timeline Pixar was still struggling to make their models not look like plastic and now they're already going to attempt water physics and semi realistic looking fish?

Very ambitious.

Last edited:
When Disney introduces their version of Redd, the badass female pirate they replaced the notorious “wench market scene” with, I like the idea of them having a skit with Ms Piggy where she proves her badass credentials to Piggy.

I had an idea where she plays a similar role to Elizabeth Swann in TTL’s Pirates of the Carribean movies. As a helpless daughter of an aristocrat who grows into being a badass pirate queen. I’d have her go by the pirate nom de guerre of “Mary Redd” as a reference to Mary Read.

Last edited:
I don't suppose, @Geekhis Khan , we'll have something like the old submarine ride that Disneyland used to have (and that Legoland now has...)
Yes, it will have a submarine ride since Mysterious Island is basically 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. You can't have a land like that without an underwater ride.

That was probably very expensive for the time, but it's worth it.
The Disney 3D boys must've been very excited to bring this to life. I remember when someone talked about the robot battles that happened in EPCOT on a YouTube video and they had a demonstration that was made by Pixar at the time, so it reminded me of that.

I didn't expect Finding Nemo so soon, isn't a bit too early? Regardless, after the flop of Brave Little Toaster 3D probably needs something exiting and technologically impressive to justify their existence to the Board.
I was also very surprised about Finding Nemo. I thought Toy Story was going to be the next movie but I'm still excited about what's in store for Disney 3D.

I doubt Disney is going to do real fish because it would be more difficult to maintain and it could raise concerns among animal rights activists.

I know and they later changed it because of the unfortunate implications, which makes me wonder if this will happen in ITTL too.
It is inevitable, probably sooner rather than later because Henson is on the board and he would be eager to do some more changes to make rides more inclusive.

The Crown Jewel of Resorts
Chapter 23: Disney Rules the Sea (Cont’d)
From Theme Park Confidential: The Corporate Machinations and Machiavellian Intrigue behind your Favorite Parks, by E. Z. Ryder

0TMngsZ.png

(Image by @Denliner)

In the spring of 1995, the long-awaited DisneySea resort opened at Port Disney in Long Beach, California, the third and final phase of a project that had begun in 1988 and seen many ups and downs over the years[1]. Port Disney was the first of many such facilities worldwide, and the first step in Disney’s 1990s-2000s “conquest of the seas”, though not every Port Disney would be as grand as the inaugural one and few would feature anything as immense as DisneySea. It was a project that began with a humble partnership with a small cruise ship company and the fulfilment of Uncle Walt’s desires to reclaim a hotel from an old friend, but one which would end with what some have called the largest private naval and colonial empire since the British East India Company, though even I find this claim to be hyperbolic, and suspect that it is mostly said in jest. And when Disney first partnered with Premier in the early 1980s and acquired Wrather in 1988, few could have known how far it would lead, though rumors persist that Frank Wells (or occasionally Stan Kinsey or even Jim Henson) “had it planned all along”.

Efly8kb.png

Port Disney and DisneySea (Image modified by @Denliner based on original from Wikipedia)

Port Disney and the DisneySea resort were a design, engineering, and project management marvel. Partnering with shareholder Marriott, several hotels including the Venice-themed Disney Canal, the beach-themed Disney Shoreline, wetlands-themed Disney Tideland, the nautical-themed Disney Marina, and the transportation-themed Port Hotel, were all built following the “Hyperion Style”. They built a small monorail which CCO Jim Henson allegedly wanted to run all the way to Disneyland. They dredged the channel and harbor for reclaimed land, building modern port facilities capable of servicing up to five of the largest cruise ships at the time, along with passenger ferry services and a plethora of smaller charter and tour boat berths. They built stages and movie theaters, shopping areas including the obligatory Disney Store, restaurants, gardens, museums, and even a few Disney rides, shows, and attractions.

Along the waterfront was the RMS Queen Mary. There was a boardwalk reminiscent of the Long Beach oceanfront during the glory days of The Pike. Howard Hughes’ giant H-4 Hercules, aka the “Spruce Goose”, was available to tour in the transportation museum conjoined to the transportation-themed Disney Port Hotel.

latest

Original DisneySea California Concept Art (Image source “Disney.fandom.com”)

But the centerpiece of it all was the original DisneySea resort, the Phase III crowning achievement. The main theme was the ocean in myth and reality. Like most Disney parks, it operated on a hub-and-spoke design with the monorail dropping off passengers at the center, which contained, along with the obligatory “Walt and Mickey” statue, “Oceana”, a structure visible from everywhere in the park and even from the adjacent shores and beaches and designed to resemble a complex of gravity-defying bubbles, leading to the fan nickname “bubble city”. From the sky it even traced out a “Hidden Mickey”. Oceana featured a two-story “oceanarium” which depicted the evolution of the seas, as well as The Future Research Center, a working oceanographic research center and working ocean animal rescue and rehabilitation center, and The Ocean Outreach Center, an educational “library of the sea” with interactive multimedia entertainment and education, hosted by the lovable mascots Zippy and Turner[2]. There were aquarium exhibits with walk-through glass tunnels and overhead skywalks, a “tidal exchange pool” that was open to the tides, allowing guests to watch the life above and below the waters (and occasionally learn the hard lessons of nautical pollution when, despite the best efforts to filter out algae blooms or pollutants, occasional die-offs were experienced), and special “animal vision” attractions that let you “see through the eyes of an octopus, a lobster, a penguin, and a whale.”

2_2-590x434.jpg

Oceana (Image source “themeparktourist.com”)

Radiating out from Oceana, one spoke led to “Mysterious Island”, a massive recreation of Vulcania from the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea movie, where guests would be treated to computer-controlled fountain and light shows, as well as rides like Captain Nemo's Lava Cruiser, an expanded version of the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea submarine ride from Walt Disney World[3] using the refurbished original carriages, and an Atlantis simulator ride where riders were chased by Atlantean guards hidden within the underwater city. The volcano even erupted in controlled intervals, becoming another major highlight of the park alongside Oceana.

Another spoke led to “Olympus Harbor”, a land based on an Ancient Greek harbor that featured attractions for various ages from children to adults, with Odysseus’s Heroic Voyage being one of the scariest and most thrilling dark rides to date[4]. The famous Scylla and Charybdis segment, perched between an animatronic hydra and a swirling whirlpool with rising teeth and glowing underwater eyes that seemed to “pull” the ride vehicles towards it, threatening a fall off the tracks, was dubbed “an absolute terror” by fans. “Swashbuckler Lagoon” was right next door, being a pirate cove that housed Venture Reefs, a Caribbean-inspired lagoon featuring artificial tropical reefs with a walk-through glass tunnel and a shark cage dive experience, and The Search for Treasure Island dark ride. It even included a massive Haunted Pirate Ship[5] that would do short three-hour sea trips for lunch and dinner, and an audio-animatronic Muppet Pig populated pirate ship, whose porcine pirates sang The Village People’s “In the Navy” following an old Muppet Show sketch (which originally featured Viking pigs). It became a go-to attraction for US Navy personnel and a regular site for promotion and reenlistment and recommissioning ceremonies.

TDS_PR_011822_9.jpeg

(Image source WDW News Today)

There was also “American Boardwalk”, which was affectionately (or ironically) nicknamed “The Disney Pike” or “Mickeypike” by locals for its uncanny resemblance to its original 1950s counterpart, albeit much cleaner and better maintained. Containing many carnival-style flat rides and concession stands, it took over the original Disneyland Skyway, which guests could ride between the northern and southern halves of the park[6]. It even had a massive double wooden rollercoaster called the Cyclone Twister which was a faithful homage to the original Cyclone Racer and a small family waterpark called Kermit's Swamp that was based on its larger counterpart at Walt Disney World. Another spoke led to “Arabian Coast”, a land clearly inspired by the film Aladdin, which included a dark ride based on Sinbad, a flying carpet ride, and a small double rollercoaster that had the Genies of the Lamp and Ring duel against one another, the riders experiencing the results, with accompanying audio-animatronic snipes at the slowdown points, both voiced by Robin Williams in recordings[7].

8034.jpg

They'll (at Jim Henson's insistence) be more ethnically diverse than this, with a Turk, an Indian Mughal, a Nigerian Prince, a Chinese Scholar, and a Japanese Samurai (Image source: Theme Park Insider)

Last but not least, there was the “Golden Catfish Market”, an exceptionally detailed and beautiful land that was heavily influenced by the water markets of Thailand, with the Mekong River Expedition being one of the first River Rapids rides developed by the I-Works. It also served as the gastronomic hub of the entire park, with many of the best restaurants and shops concentrated within the markets. However, one of its hidden gems is the “Pearl River Delta” sub-land, an area that was inspired by Hong Kong. Containing many high-class shops and restaurants in its own right, the highlight attraction was an animatronic walkthrough that brought many oddities to life, but it wasn't just an ordinary museum, it was the former headquarters of the Society of Explorers and Adventurers (SEA), whose presence continues to felt in not only the Disney theme parks, but in Disney animation today[8].

Disney President and former head of Resorts & Recreation Dick Nunis declared DisneySea, Long Beach, “The Crown Jewel of Disney Resorts”, and many guests to this day feel exactly the same way.

Port Disney and DIsneySea was an incredible administrative challenge and engineering accomplishment full of delays, overruns, and political maneuvering. But in the end, despite major opposition from some landowners, the California Coastal Commission, and the Port of Long Beach, construction began in late 1989 with completion of Phase I achieved in the spring of 1991, the full Port facilities opening in 1993, and the DisneySea Resort, opening in 1995. The influx of the cruise ships, though ultimately a sore spot for many local residents annoyed with the noise and crowds, became a boon to local business as the “boat mobs” flooded the beaches and growing commercial districts surrounding the site. Local tax intake increased, which gave Disney later leverage to extend tax incentives and government grants. The City of Long Beach, which had long battled a shift towards urban decay and crime, morphed into a diverse and comfortably middle-class city with a wealthy “resort” fringe along the waterfront.

Mt9ijye.png

DisneySea Map (by @Denliner)

But it all didn’t come cheap. In the end, Port Disney and DisneySea, Long Beach, cost a staggering $5 billion US, not counting the $250 million Wrather Corp acquisition, with up to $3 billion of the cost taken up by government grants and industry partners, including Pearson PLC and Marriott Hotels, the latter covering much of the hotel construction costs in exchange for a healthy share of the hotel profits.

Despite some initial hiccups with malfunctioning rides, new employees in the midst of a learning curve, and some underdeveloped support structures that required retrofit, DisneySea Long Beach became an immediate success. The sheer brilliance and fluidity of the animatronic attractions, stunning architecture, gorgeous gardens and water displays, and the immersive nature of it all amazed guests, many of whom were expecting another Pirates of the Caribbean. The sheer variety of attractions amazed guests, with the West Coast’s largest aquarium, animatronic rides and shows, stage productions, shopping and dining opportunities, and even day trips out to sea for everything from Whale Watches to Muppet or Ghostly Dinner Cruises.

Cruise ships and Navy vessels became the first big source of visitors not just for DisneySea, but for the original Disneyland in nearby Anaheim thanks to shuttle services and special “multi-pass” tickets. The hotels filled up with guests not just for DisneySea and Long Beach, but for Disneyland, turning DisneySea into a de facto “second gate” for the venerable park. Convoys of the unique Hyperion Style busses became common sights on the roads between Disneyland and DisneySea, to the chagrin of some locals.

And as 1995 came to a close, Disney, witnessing the inherent synergy between the port and the cruise ships, saw the potential for something even greater. They were already expanding their small cruise line by simply buying up Premier Cruise Lines entirely two years before and redeployed one of the “Big Red Ships”, the SS Oceanic, to a new berth at Port Disney (technically out of a home port in Cabo St. Lucas), giving the developing Disney Cruise Lines a Pacific presence. Soon newer, bigger, fancier, more objectively “Disney” ships would replace the older Big Red Ships.

8946602-large.jpg

Port Disney Map (Image source: Staten Island Advance; See also The Master Plan for Port Disney, with detailed 3D models and original art)

Port Disney Long Beach provided the first of what would be many worldwide Port Disney Cruise Ship docking points, each attending to resorts of varying sizes. Others would follow in Japan, Spain, China, and even Australia! The USR, Italy, Arabia, the Caribbean, South America, and, eventually Africa would be investigated for further expansion. The growing Disney Cruise Lines would expand their worldwide presence. And a “Disney Maritime Empire” was born.

And all because Walt Disney wanted his hotel back.

[1] Pirate’s hat tip to @Denliner and @El Pip for the assist, as always!

[2] Inspired by the popularity of Figment as the "unofficial Mascot" for the EPCOT theme park, Disney sought to make a couple of cute undersea characters as the original mascots for DisneySea, with Zippy being a California sea lion (Zalophus californianus) and Turner being a bottlenose dolphin (Tursiops truncatus). Brought to life via Digital Puppetry techniques and interactive animatronics, they’re intelligent and witty in the interactive exhibits, but also don't shy away from friendly banter and trolling with the guests.

article-0-13CEFDB5000005DC-56_634x419.jpg

(Image: Daily Mail)

[3] Disney moved the entire submarine ride from Orlando to Long Beach as it would be a perfect fit for Mysterious Island (plus it saved Disney the need to create new submarines and props from scratch). This will leave the lagoon at the Magic Kingdom empty, but Disney will eventually need to resolve this situation. Whether it becomes a ride or gets filled in like in our timeline is anyone’s guess, so stay tuned on that! As for the Submarine Voyage ride at Disneyland, let’s just say that it’s on its last legs with the arrival of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

[4] This is the first time Disney will actively warn guests about the ride being too scary for kids through a sign such as this:

Alien_Encounter_0022_a.jpg

(Image: Retro WDW)

[5] Tall Top Hat-tip to @HonestAbe1809 for this idea.

[6] The Skyway still closes due to problems with the Matterhorn's structural integrity, but at least they were saved by DisneySea, where they continue to operate today in this timeline.

[7] Genie of the Ring (summoning up a magical attack as coaster creeps up to a massive drop): Look out, Lampy, this next one’s going to be a doooooozzzyyyyy…!!

[8] After many months of hints, the Society of Explorers and Adventurers is now a canon presence in the timeline, all thanks to DisneySea. Expect them to return in some capacity in the theme parks or even as a movie or TV show. Strangest of all, there will be some weird trans-dimensional crossovers with TaleSpin, starting in Star Comics, as well.

Last edited:
I love DisneySea! With all the Disney/Universal/WB theme park stuff in California and only a 26-minute drive from Anaheim to Long Beach, there's a 9 in ten chance I'd have gone to Disneyland Resort and Cali for my second and, as of this date, last American vacation as a kid. (Probably wouldn't have caught that horrible, holiday wrecking cold either.) But I must ask. Is there any hope at all of bringing WestCOT back from mothballs? From what this tells me, it would have been so much better than DCA and would have changed Disneyland into a true and proper resort.

Last edited:
I was also very surprised about Finding Nemo. I thought Toy Story was going to be the next movie but I'm still excited about what's in store for Disney 3D.
I think Brave Little Toaster replaced Toy Story somewhat by having a similar theme of "Inanimate Objects trying to get back to their owner", however given that this one flopped hard and this being blamed on them being appliances I can see 3D shying away from using living objects in their films for a while (or not getting such ideas green lit by the higher ups in the first place).

I'm just surprised that it's not A Bugs Life or Monster's Inc.

Radiating out from Oceana, one spoke led to “Mysterious Island”, a massive recreation of Vulcania from the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea movie, where guests would be treated to computer-controlled fountain and light shows, as well as rides like Captain Nemo's Lava Cruiser, an expanded version of the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea submarine ride from Walt Disney World[3] using the refurbished original carriages, and an Atlantis simulator ride where riders were chased by Atlantean guards hidden within the underwater city. The volcano even erupted in controlled intervals, becoming another major highlight of the park alongside Oceana.
Cool the perfect companion piece to Discovery Land in Valencia.

Also I wonder if this will mean that the Atlantis movie (if it gets made) will take inspiration from this. Maybe it could even be a semi remake of League.
Another spoke led to “Olympus Harbor”, a land based on an Ancient Greek harbor that featured attractions for various ages from children to adults, with Odysseus’s Heroic Voyage being one of the scariest and most thrilling dark rides to date[4].
I would love to ride that!
and a shark cage dive experience
Still try to figure out how they pull this off without having the guests change into wetsuits.

Maybe a class diving bell? A simulator rude?
even included a massive Haunted Pirate Ship[5]
Which then ties back into the Disneyland Haunted Mansion as it should.
and an audio-animatronic Muppet Pig populated pirate ship, whose porcine pirates sang The Village People’s “In the Navy”
Do they only sing this one song?
I kinda assumed that they had a whole repertoire of sea shanties and other nautical songs to circle through, isn't that going to get annoying really fast?
it took over the original Disneyland Skyway, which guests could ride between the northern and southern halves of the park[6]
We may not have gotten the Monorail from Anaheim to Long Beach, but at least we still have the Skyway.
Another spoke led to “Arabian Coast”, a land clearly inspired by the film Aladdin, which included a dark ride based on Sinbad, a flying carpet ride, and a small double rollercoaster that had the Genies of the Lamp and Ring duel against one another, the riders experiencing the results, with accompanying audio-animatronic snipes at the slowdown points, both voiced by Robin Williams in recordings[7].
Is that Dark Ride going to be similar to the Sindbad ride in OTLs Tokyo DisneySea or less cartoony?

Also sadly no spitting Camels here.
They'll (at Jim Henson's insistence) be more ethnically diverse than this, with a Turk, an Indian Mughal, a Nigerian Prince, a Chinese Scholar, and a Japanese Samurai (Image source: Theme Park Insider)
Which is completely historically accurate if SEA takes place in the 1800s.
Containing many high-class shops and restaurants in its own right, the highlight attraction was an animatronic walkthrough that brought many oddities to life, but it wasn't just an ordinary museum, it was the former headquarters of the Society of Explorers and Adventurers (SEA), whose presence continues to felt in not only the Disney theme parks, but in Disney animation today[8].
So a Mystic Manor/Adventurer Club like walkthrough? Awesome

Also harking back to my earlier Atlantis idea, they could totally have Milo or whatever his counterpart is called be part of SEA or even make it a movie all about them, kinda like Pirates of the Caribbean becoming a film franchise in OTL.
[3] Disney moved the entire submarine ride from Orlando to Long Beach as it would be a perfect fit for Mysterious Island (plus it saved Disney the need to create new submarines and props from scratch). This will leave the lagoon at the Magic Kingdom empty, but Disney will eventually need to resolve this situation. Whether it becomes a ride or gets filled in like in our timeline is anyone’s guess, so stay tuned on that! As for the Submarine Voyage ride at Disneyland, let’s just say that it’s on its last legs with the arrival of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Weird that they chose to dismantle and use the ride from Orlando instead of just using the one in Anaheim, would've been faster and more cost effective.
Is it nostalgia or the last of the WWWD crew vetoing removing one of the opening day attractions? Strange

Anyway I hope they use it to build a new attraction and don't just make it a landfill. And maybe they can then copy that attraction for California once they realise that Submarine Voyage is dead in the water.
[6] The Skyway still closes due to problems with the Matterhorn's structural integrity, but at least they were saved by DisneySea, where they continue to operate today in this timeline
It's probably the only way to safe it.

Repairing the support beam in the Matterhorn would mean that they need to tear it down and rebuild everything, which is not only costly but I think the regulations changed si that they wouldn't be allowed to rebuild it as it is.

Great chapter @Geekhis Khan

Status
Not open for further replies.