What's the first post on this site?

Discussion in 'Help and Rules' started by PrinceTanglemane, Jan 31, 2019.

1. PrinceTanglemane Leader of the Social Revolutionary Party (Canada)

To anybody.

I was curious about what's the first post ever on this site about an alternate timeline or at least, something related to it.

Not sure if this is quite suitable to post in the thread here.

Regards, CR, Tanglemane.

2. wcv215 Well-Known Member

The first post ever was Ian's post announcing that the board was online.

3. Zagan Donor

The first thread appears to have been deleted. It must have been a test thread made by the Admin.

This is the second thread, in which the Admin is announcing the second board. Its single post is thus the oldest post still extant on the board.

This is the third thread, the first started by a normal user (since then banned).

The fourth thread is also not available (deleted).

This is the fifth thread and the first with actual alternate history content.

4. nbcman Donor

5. APeninSpace What are you even meant to put here?

the fact that it's the fifth doesn't make sense, seeing as it was made 3 years later. Is it because of the moving of the website to a new host? (I think that happened in 2004.)

6. Pkmatrix Godzilla Fanboy Monthly Donor

Yes and no? That fifth thread was made the day the Second Board was opened: January 1, 2004. Ian posted the oldest surviving thread a few weeks before the board actually opened.

Remember: none of the posts from the original message board (August 2000 to December 2003) were carried over to the Second Board, which started as a clean slate. All the posts from the Second Board were ported over to the current (Third, Xenforo-based) board when Ian made the change in 2016 (has it really been so long already?). So the current site has total continuity back to 2004, but there's a hard break there between then and what came before.

The original board used be accessible as an archive (it was a section in between ASB and Non-Political Chat, if I recall), but Ian took it down about five years ago.

@PrinceTanglemane I'm not sure what the very first post or AH-related post on the site was (I'd hazard a guess, though, that it was posted on or about September 1, 2000), but the oldest TL anyone can remember is Beria's Soviet Union first posted in February 2002. :)

7. PrinceTanglemane Leader of the Social Revolutionary Party (Canada)

And also, curious.

Did the board ever had any reaction to 911

8. Pkmatrix Godzilla Fanboy Monthly Donor

I think 9/11 predated the Off Topic sections, but I'm sure there was one. I know people were posting "WI the attacks didn't happen?" less than a week afterwards. But, the site didn't have nearly as active a political discussion community as it does now - actual direct discussion of politics as we do now wasn't really a thing at that point in the site's history, I think. That's a question probably better suited for one of the members who've been around longer than I have. :coldsweat:

9. wcv215 Well-Known Member

Eh, from what people who were around then told me it was always around, there just wasn't a spot for it. Its the reason Chat exists, because if it didn't what is talked about there would get talked about somewhere/everywhere else on the Board.

10. nbcman Donor

I think that this is the oldest post from the Old Board from August 2000:

There was a forum in 2001 called 'The Off-Topic Zone' with a description of 'Discussions that have drifted off the subject of alternate history. Politics and ideology may be discussed here.' However, I am not finding any archived posts in that forum in 2001 or 2002 when checking the Wayback Machine save points on AH.com.

Max Sinister likes this.
  11. Pkmatrix Godzilla Fanboy Monthly Donor

I've heard (and repeated) the same, but to be honest I've struggled to find direct evidence of this whenever I've looked back at the Old Board stuff. :coldsweat: I wonder if there are posts we can't see because you needed to be registered, and it looks like whoever archived the site either wasn't registered or wasn't logged in?

Yep. I'm wondering if it looks like there's nothing in there because there was nothing in there, or if because the archiver wasn't registered/logged in so it's not displaying for that reason?

12. Zagan Donor

The reason is that it is against the law to do so. You are not allowed to archive to a public place something that is / was private (under a login prompt).

For example, now you may not archive the Chat or ASB subforums.

13. Albert.Nik Well-Known Member

Mine was something about some Celtic people in Asia or something.

14. Burton K Wheeler l'état profond, c'est moi Moderator

Jan 1, 2004 was when the board switched to vBulletin. There was an AH discussion board before that but the content from it has never been transferred over. Everything on the board now is from 2004 and later.

Zagan likes this.
  15. cpip Penguin Wrangler

East of the Rockies, West of the Appalachians
    Huh! I didn't know I shared a birthday with AH.com.

nbcman likes this.
  16. Grey Wolf Writer, Poet, Publisher, Cat-sitter

Oh... wow

https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/tsar-michael-the-great-prologue.5/

I considered making this into a book, but the story didn't go beyond 10 chapters and though I looked at the timeline behind it, it wasn't as cohesive as I'd hoped it was

But I did pay for a cover to be made for this, and then used it on my reissue of "How To Write Alternate History" collection of essays

So something came of it all

17. APeninSpace What are you even meant to put here?

Oh my god it's the legend himself!

Well, not really a legend, but you would have had a good shot winning the turtledove awards if they were around in 2004.

Grey Wolf and Zagan like this.
  18. Grey Wolf Writer, Poet, Publisher, Cat-sitter

Yeah, I used to write a lot.

I guess when I decided that local history and publishing were to be parts of my self-employment that pretty much all died, as I no longer have my evenings free as I am always trying to catch up with doing the magazine, or publishing someone's book, or updating the local history websites.