What's in YOUR AH collection?

Pretty much everyone on the board has amassed a collection of alternate history-based materiel over the years, myself included. It's now time to see who has what. I'll go first.

BOOKS
- What If?
- What If? 2
- What Ifs? of American History
- The Years of Rice and Salt
- The Peshawar Lancers
- Roads Not Taken (short story anthology)
- The Worldwar series
- Worldwar: In the Balance​
- Worldwar: Tilting the Balance​
- Worldwar: Upsetting the Balance​
- Worldwar: Striking the Balance​
- The Colonization series
- Colonization: Second Contact​
- Colonization: Down to Earth​
- Colonization: Aftershocks​
- Superman: Red Son
- For the Want of a Nail: If Burgoyne Had Won at Saratoga (haven't read yet)
- Virtual History
- Cold War Hot
- The Leader
- Bring the Jubilee (haven't read yet)
- a big collection of scenarios found online stuffed in a binder

GAMES (actually set in an AH)
- Command & Conquer: Red Alert
- Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2
- Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge
- Freedom Fighters
- Iron Storm

All of the books (save the binder) can be found at Uchronia.

So, what has everyone else got?

Grey Wolf

Gone Fishin'
Donor
I honestly don't think I can remember all of them, or find them. I know off the top of my head I have some of the same as you, and some really good other ones which I don't remember all the names of :-

Napoleon Disentimed

Elleander Morning

one about Reagan

one with the Russian onion domes in California

The Ifs of History (1930s)

Others I guess...TV is too noisy

Grey Wolf

Leo Caesius

Banned
I have two books that Basileus may have but I doubt the rest of you know:

Garibaldi a Gettysburg (Garibaldi at Gettysburg, 1993)

and

I biplani di D'Annunzio (The Biplanes of D'Annunzio, 1996).

I've always been interested in AH in other languages, but there doesn't seem to be very much (even if, IIRC, the genre was invented by the French).

I don't actually OWN any AH (except for the original Red Alert); I mostly get books from the library and return them.

However, I did think about purchasing "Peshawar Lancers."

Diamond

Banned
I have upwards of 80 or 90 AH novels, and another 10 or so essay collections, like the What If? books. Maybe I'll post a complete listing next week sometime...

Like Alasdair, I have dozens of scenarios found on the web and put in a 3-ring binder.

Does anyone else buy AH books just because they're AH? Just for the sake of having them? I've got many many books in my collection that actually don't appeal to me, or that I've bought even tho people here have said they're crap, simply because they're AH.

Leo Caesius said:

and

I've always been interested in AH in other languages, but there doesn't seem to be very much (even if, IIRC, the genre was invented by the French).

I thought the Romans wrote an AH where Alexander invaded Rome, and they whipped him.

Complete works of Robert Heinlein.
"Kaleidoscope Century (Meme Wars)" John Barnes
"In the Garden of Iden (A Novel of the Company, Book 1)" Kage Baker
Complete works of Connie Willis (Time travel not AH but related as she postulates other TLs)

That's about it. There might be some other SF that I just don't think of as AH that actually is. You'll notice these are all books as I have no interest in games.

A very inexact list but here goes.

A Trans-Atlantic Tunnel, Hurrah.

Stars and Stripes in Peril (Hey was AH and by Harry Harrison so I thought I was onto a winner)

Agent of Byzantium

Guns of the South

How Few Remain

First two or three follow ups to that the titles of which escape me for now

First War World book

The Two Georges

Fatherland

Cold War Hot

More What If

What Might Have Been

The Wild Blue and The Grey

The Bloody Red Baron

lessee...
I have HT's whole great war/empire/settling accounts, balance/colonization, two georges, britannia ruled, days of infamy, a different flesh, the short story collection who's name escapes me, Darkness series, down in the bottomlands, gunpowder empire
HH's stars and stripes trilogy, hammer and cross trilogy, Eden trilogy
ST's ISOT series, Conquistador, Dies the Fire, drakon/Drakas, peshawar lancers
Flint's 1632/33/34, Belisarius series
hannibal's children, 1901, the moscow option, gettysburg/grant moves east, the old "what might have been" fiction collections, the 'what if' historical essays collections, what ifs of American history, Dixie/Rising sun/Third Reich/Hitler victorious, Alternate warriors, Alternate generals 1 and 2, What if (ww2 scenarios), Hitler: the victory that nearly was, Fox on the Rhine/fox at the front, 1945, the complete Paratime stories, the hitler options, Invasion, Battles of the bulge, cold war hot
Obviously, I bought some of these simply because they were AH and I thought they might be good, but weren't....

Fatherland (which has honor of being first AH and first english book I read)
How few remain
Great war/American empire series
Worldwar/Colonisation series
Guns of the south
The two Georges
Departures (collection of HT's short stories)
Darkness series (does this count?)
What if 1 & 2
The Hitler Options
Red storm rising (is this AH?)

Various TLs collected on net.

Books

How Few Remain, The Great War Series ( American Front, Walk in Hell, Breakthroughs) , The American Empire Series ( Blood and Iron, The Center Cannot Hold, The Victourious Oppostion) , Settling Accounts Series ( Return Engagement)- all one big series

Fatherland

What Ifs?

What Ifs? 2

What Ifs? of American History

Bring the Jewbilee

The Man in the High Castle

Ruled Britannia

In the Presence of Mine Enemies

Days of Infamy

Crosstime Traffrice #2 - Curious Notions

Crimson Skies

Guns of the South

If the South had Won the Civil War

Stars and Stripes Series, book one and two (Stars and Stripes In Peril and Stars and Stripes Forever, or something like that) - Don't ask why I bought the second one...

Games

Red Alert

Red Alert 2 and Yuri's Revenge expansion pack

Axis and Allies board game (that kind of counts)

Victoria: An Empire Under the Sun

Hearts of Iron

Risk, board game and PC game (meh)

Risk 2

Civilization 3, with both expansion packs

Civilization 2

maybe more...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I like Turtledove I guess. I might get the Pershaw Lancers, Pavane, and the Draka series, as well.

Can anyone recommend a good alternate history on World War One ?

Last edited:
Mainly, the AH I have is "non-fictional" ie they are historical counterfactuals rather than novels

The Moscow Option, David Downing
Three different Operation Sea Lion books, including Macksey's feeble effort
1943, the victory that never was
what if
what if 2
two or three others the titles of which I forget

Novels and short stories

Isaac Asimov -- The End of Eternity
Norman Spinrad -- The Iron Dream
S.M. Stirling -- The Peshawar Lancers
anthology -- Hitler Victorious
Michael Moorcock -- The bastable trilogy (1970s versions)

FederationX said:
A lot of people here seem to own, or at least read Fatherland by Robert Harris. Does anyone own the movie as well?

Does watching 1/2 way through and making a pledge to kill scenarist, director and producer count?

Robert Harris is turning in his grave..... :(

Leo Caesius said:

and

I've read the first, By Andrea Prosperi, but that's more of a piece of science fiction than AH, though it contains Ah elements obviously... quite ridiculous, on the whole.

I didn't read the second, I read another one by the samre author ; Luca Masali: La perla alla fine del tempo (The pearl at the end of Time), a VERY good science fiction novel with time travel, a future world where a fundamentalist thocratic Neo-Ottoman Empire is the powerhouse of the Middle East while Uruba (Europe) and Amriki (America) have destroyed each other long since with a nuclear war triggered by a computer bug, and the Kidetals (Occidentals) are a legend of a distant past, but their technology is still searched for by scavengers...

Leo Caesius

Banned
basileus said:
I've read the first, By Andrea Prosperi, but that's more of a piece of science fiction than AH, though it contains Ah elements obviously... quite ridiculous, on the whole.
It struck me as downright Turtledovian. I didn't want to say anything until you mentioned it, as Italian is not my first language, but there were some pretty hilarious parts - such as the protagonist, Andrea Venier, waking up in Venice, to discover that the canals are clean, litter is conspicuously absent, and the public phones are perfectly functional - it is at this point that he realizes that something is terribly wrong.

I biplani di D'Annunzio is even more SF, but has some AH themes as well. The other Masali book sounds really quite interesting.

Grey Wolf

Gone Fishin'
Donor
aktarian said:
Does watching 1/2 way through and making a pledge to kill scenarist, director and producer count?

Robert Harris is turning in his grave..... :(

Never seen the film

Is he dead ? I failed to notice him dying :(

Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf said:
You sure he's dead ??? I can't find anything by searching the web...

Grey Wolf

If he's not he will die from massive heart attack caused by primal rage after seeing this movie.