What's In a Name? Origins and Alternates of Ethnonyms

Gin...Switzerland (the word supposedly came from the name Geneva.)
Na, it's definetly related to some languages' word for juniper. Trust me, I'm Dutch, I know this stuff.

You know what would be awesome in an ATL? Have Tyr/Tiw/Ziu morph into Teu (actually has done exactly that in Modern English), and have a knightly order named in his honour. :D

I know you'd have to drop that last syllable, but Wodnings has a very cool ring to it.

You can play this game indefinitely. For instance, the Lokingers, sons of Loki, who apparently took themselves to be paticularly wise and deliberate. Tragically, their track went cold at some point during the Migration Period ...

France...Champagne
Russia...Vodka
Scotland...Scotch
Romania...Rum
Italy...Wine
Lucerne...Liquor
Germany...Bier, Beer
Spain...Sangria
Portugal...Port
Tequila...Mexico
Brandy...Holland (the word Brandy comes from Dutch, "burnt wine", according to Wikipedia.)
Kumis...Turkey
Sake or Saki...Japan
Gin...Switzerland (the word supposedly came from the name Geneva.)
Whiskey...England

I don't know which are the least bit plausible, or how many could be in the same timeline? :D:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ok, the term 'Scotch' is obviously derived from Scottish, the term the Scots use is Whiskey which is derived from the Gaelic for Water of Life

Whiskey is not associated with England. There is only 1 Whiskey distiller in the entire country and that is a very recent development - it's 1st Whiskey is only now going on sale with the minimum require maturation period! If you want an English spirit then that would be Gin

Na, it's definetly related to some languages' word for juniper. Trust me, I'm Dutch, I know this stuff.

You know what would be awesome in an ATL? Have Tyr/Tiw/Ziu morph into Teu (actually has done exactly that in Modern English), and have a knightly order named in his honour. :D

Especially if they prepare restorative drinks :D

Not really, India's a simple derivation from the ancient Greek Indus.

Indusia simply does'nt sound good, so we get India.

Which in turn is taken from the Sanskrit Sindhu (the name of the river Indus). So 'India' would be more accurate for referring to Pakistan!