What would the national anthem of the Confederacy be if they won?

What song would the CSA use?

• Total voters
Let's say that the CSA won the civil war. They never had an official one in OTL, but they likely would choose one eventually. From what I've read, there were three songs that were considered the unofficial anthems.
1) Dixie: This is the one I've heard most frequently as the national anthem. However, listening to it, it doesn't really sound like a national anthem.
2) The Bonnie Blue Flag: This one was also popular, but comes with the issue that the confederacy had stopped using the Bonnie Blue Flag.
3) God Save the South: This is my favorite of the bunch for the confederate anthem. It sounds like an anthem and seems to work fine.
Do you know of any other songs that could be used as a national anthem?

What song do you think that they would choose? If you haven't heard any of them, here are links.
Dixie:

The Bonnie Blue Flag:

God Save the South:

Last edited:
While I love both "Dixeland" and "The Bonnie Blue Flag." I think "God Save The South" would easily become the national anthem. There also is the possibly that someone composes an entirely new song that then becomes the national anthem.

Anaxagoras

Banned
God Save the South is the most likely of the choices, though I think Dixie would sort of be the unofficial anthem.

Incidentally, this question comes up very briefly in my upcoming novel House of the Proud.

Saphroneth

Banned
I think "Maryland, my Maryland" might have a chance - sure, it's about Maryland specifically, but then the Star Spangled Banner is about one fort.

Saphroneth

Banned
But Maryland didn't even secede.
And the reason for that is actually part of the subject of the song - which is to say, that Maryland was occupied by Union troops and there was a major riot (and massacre) in Baltimore.

The despot's heel is on thy shore,
Maryland!*
His torch is at thy temple door,
Maryland!
Avenge the patriotic gore
That flecked the streets of Baltimore,
And be the battle queen of yore,
Maryland! My Maryland!

zippity do da
oh, forget it... I think they'd probably pick something new. If I'm not mistaken the US didn't adopt the Star Spangled Banner as the official national anthem until the 1930s, so who can guess what might be written over the intervening years, if the CSA were to wait until a similar time to adopt something official.

I'm confidant that it would be Dixie with new verses that better fit a national anthem. Even during the Civil War, southerners gave Dixie new verses that were more appropriate (just as Northerner sang Dixie with new words to make it supportive of the Union cause).

It would either be one of the Rebel versions done during the war, or a final version of the words done within a decade of the war.

Yes. But nobody much cared, just as nobody much cases that the Star Spangled Banner is played to the tune of an English drinking song.

But people cared when the South Korean national anthem was sung to the tune of Aud Lang Syne :( Why'd they have to change it?