What would the effects be on a nation implementing a land value tax?

If, say the USA implemented a nationwide land value tax, what would the effects be of it?
A land value tax is generally considered a progressive tax since, to quote John Stuart Mill "A tax on rent falls wholly on the landlord. There are no means by which he can shift the burden upon anyone else. It does not affect the value or price of agricultural produce, for this is determined by the cost of production in the most unfavourable circumstances, and in those circumstances, as we have so often demonstrated, no rent is paid. A tax on rent, therefore, has no effect other than its obvious one. It merely takes so much from the landlord and transfers it to the State." So, I'm guessing a land value tax would be very recipient to smallholders and would be very hostile to Southern plantations?

Skallagrim

Banned
Mill is completely wrong. Suppose I have a stretch of land, and I have to pay tax on the value of it, and I rent it out-- I would just include the costs of taxation in the rent. Same way that a VAT isn't a tax on store-owners, but a tax on customers: the tax burden just gets included in the price. Land value tax will in practice just be an example of that same principle, but applied to rent instead of retail prices.

Naturally, it will have effects: owning land but not making it productive will be unattractive. Especially when it comes to expensive real estate. Speculators hogging prime real estate in cities and not using it (instead just holding it and driving the price up) will be far less common. That would be a noticeable effect. But what Mill wrote is just completely wrong.

Of course, it matters just how you calculate the "land value". The idea of LVT is to not tax the value of any buildings etc. on the land, but of course the presence of such buildings tends to make the land more valuable. (For instance: land in Las vegas 100 years ago was worthless, land in Las Vegas now is ridiculously expensive. Even if you utterly ignore the value of the buildings, the development of Las Vegas has affected the value of the land itself, and that will always be the case.)

In any event, land value tax is highly unlikely. A more regular property tax is far more likely. And the burden of that, too, will just be shifted to "consumers". The tax costs it imposes on plantation owners, will just be carried over into their cotton price.

Last edited:
Mill is completely wrong. Suppose I have a stretch of land, and I have to pay tax on the value of it, and I rent it out-- I would just include the costs of taxation in the rent. Same way that a VAT isn't a tax on store-owners, but a tax on customers: the tax burden just gets included in the price. Land value tax will in practice just be an example of that same principle, but applied to rent instead of retail prices..

In the short term, Mill would have a point in his society. You have land, your agricultural product price is set by the market, agriculture tends to take a long time to make changes so its either leave the land or pay the tax. In the long term, I agree with you. What you would do is try to decrease your landholding, then use the cash from the sales to increase efficiency by irrigation and machinery, reduce labor costs and introduce agricultural products that have a higher profit per land size.

perfectgeneral

Donor
Monthly Donor
Since nations have implemented LVT, without rocketing rents, it is possible to forecast the effect without seat of pants economics.

When rent seeking on land investment loses some profit to taxation it levels the field with other investments. The country benefits from more productive investment. Investors get a less easy ride to riches. This doesn't stop investment elsewhere in land, but does reward using the land domestically, agricultural and industrially when the inflation to land value is reduced. The supply of land is fixed, so increased demand through tax exemption only fuels price increases.

You may recall the effect of a land value bubble back in 2007/2008? The lack of a land tax is a perverse incentive to destabilizing investment. A sinkhole of wasted opportunity. The infrastructure and services become a subsidy to land owners without taxation. Profit without production is only possible with graft.

Last edited:
What's the difference between this Land Value Tax & the Property Tax the individual states collect?
I was wondering the same thing.
Would this land value tax apply to residential holdings?
Property taxes are far and away my single biggest cost in life. My knee jerk reaction is that this would be another tax/cost that those like me who have no means of lobbyist access would end up paying, while business either lobbies away or passes on to the consumer (me).

Property taxes are far and away my single biggest cost in life. My knee jerk reaction is that this would be another tax/cost that those like me who have no means of lobbyist access would end up paying, while business either lobbies away or passes on to the consumer (me).
Theoretically a property Tax is only for, well, a property so is land with something build in it, a house, a building, a warehouse, and the tax value is tied with the market value of the property, to a point,
The land tax proposed by John Stuart Mill is a "progressive" tax so the more land you have more tax will you pay, in a exponential manner, so a big landholder will be pay ten time more for an square feet of land, than will be a homesteader or the landed gentry, so ideally the more land you have the more you pay in tax, in relative and absolute terms,
or in other terms with land tax if you have 1 acre you pay a dollar for square feet if you have 10 acres you will pay 5 dollar for squere feet, if you have 10.000 acres you will pay 100 dollar for square feet, so the tendency to accumulate land and maintain it unproductive will be have a clear defined drawback.
Think John Stuart Mill was english so they have a lack of land and an abundance of workforce, which was completely different to the USA, and America in general, situation, and he wanted to stop the accumulation of land in a few unproductive hands

Edit: He also considered that the wanton accumulation of hereditary lands, like the one in the aristocracy hands, was part of the "unearned" incomes and should be heavely taxed, unlike the "earned" incomes wich will have to be only ligthly taxed, in the UK of the XIX century this make a lot of sense..

Last edited:

Skallagrim

Banned
Since nations have implemented LVT, without rocketing rents, it is possible to forecast the effect without seat of pants economics.

Not quite true, since in virtually all cases, the tax was introduced alongside various other reforms. The effect of the tax ceteris paribus is very hard to determine, with proponents evangelising on how great it is, and with detractors dismissing the effects as minimal. I suspect the truth lies in the middle, as is often the case. An LVT can be a useful instrument, but I get the impression that you are on the evangelising side of things.

You may recall the effect of a land value bubble back in 2007/2008?

No, one may not, because that was a completely different thing caused by insolvent loans. The fact that the credit was often extended to people seeking to buy houses is incidental to the actual problem, and should not be confused for the actual cause of the issue. To be specific: the land value was inflated because the credit was inflated. An LVT could only prevent incentives to inflation of land value is it is sufficiently high; at the required rates, the LVT would have a negative effect on all credit extension for the purpose of buying land. It could end up screwing over a lot of single young families looking to buy a home. That is not an argument against an LVT at a lower rate, but then it would have correspondingly reduced effect on discouraging the inflation of land value.

Using an LVT as a policy tool, to 'steer the market', could easily end up having unforeseen averse effects. You'd have to be cautious, and strike a reasonable balance.

The lack of a land tax is a perverse incentive to destabilizing investment. A sinkhole of wasted opportunity. The infrastructure and services become a subsidy to land owners without taxation. Profit without production is only possible with graft.

This is a political tract, not an argument. You're reasoning from 'ought' instead of 'is'. (You also seem to be upset that without an LVT, infrastructure is a subsidy to land-owners. But it seems fairly obvious that people who rent also require roads etc.)

What's the difference between this Land Value Tax & the Property Tax the individual states collect?

The main difference is that property taxes are levied on the value of the land and on the value of whatever is on it (e.g. buildings). A land value tax is levied on the value of the land alone, and not on the value of what's on the land. (Although, as I have pointed out, the presence of buildings etc. will of course indirectly influence the value of the land itself.)

All in all, an LVT strikes me as ideal as a local tax in urban polities, because it would by definition help to discourage speculators from keeping valuable land un-used to manipulate prices. In various other situations, it's probably much less ideal. It may even have significant negative effects, if implemented carelessly. If universally applied, instead of some other tax, all it would be likely to really do in the grand scheme would be to shift more of the tax burden to land-owners and away from business profits. Considering that in a modern economy, businesses need far less less land, this effectively means shifting the burden away from business, onto the shoulders of the citizenry.

It's very, very obvious that the LVT is an idea that was dreamed up in a primarily agrarian society, where such a thing would make sense as the universal norm for taxation. Let the rich, big land-owners pay the most! Sure, sounds pretty okay. But nowadays, the biggest and the richest aren't the great land-owners. How much land does Google need, eh? So using land value as the basis of taxation is no longer such a sensible notion. It can still be used to great effect in certain situations, but the vision of the famous proponent of the LVT (Henry George) is clearly an outdated one, rooted in a socio-economic situation that no longer exists.

Last edited:

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
. . . You may recall the effect of a land value bubble back in 2007/2008? . . .
And we can add Japan mid-'90s to the list. They had a real estate bubble which burst and stagnant growth since.

BlogImage_AsianTigers_051817.jpg

GDP per capita

https://www.stlouisfed.org/on-the-economy/2017/may/tigers-tiger-cubs-economic-growth

Notice how the blue line for Japan flattened out.

As a fellow who grew up fairly rural, on a farm, who loves seeing land in an 'unused' state used by critters, who enjoys owning a few acres of unused land. I can see a downside to this. The planet doesn't have to be developed from head to toe. I guess I'm from a part of the world where land control isn't an obvious issue.

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
. . . because that was a completely different thing caused by insolvent loans. . .
I understand that the 2008 financial crisis was mainly caused by the re-packaging and re-selling of subprime loans.

And also the moral hazard caused by such things as the bailout of "Long Term Capital Management" in 1998, so that the big dogs knew that if there was ever a system-wide crisis, they'd most likely be bailed out.

====================

PS This has squarely become a spanning topic in which we're talking about 1800s policy norms affecting the 1900s and beyond, but I like spanning topics. :openedeyewink:

Mill is completely wrong. Suppose I have a stretch of land, and I have to pay tax on the value of it, and I rent it out-- I would just include the costs of taxation in the rent. Same way that a VAT isn't a tax on store-owners, but a tax on customers: the tax burden just gets included in the price. Land value tax will in practice just be an example of that same principle, but applied to rent instead of retail prices.

See I'm not so sure you are correct here. Fundamentally if you did as you suggested, you've priced yourself out of a sale there, making your land less productive. If anything you'd do better to absorb the tax and invest, or even lower the price so that it is used more often. Whilst land itself is inelastic, access is too. You can only sell so much time a year, and you want that access to be as high as possible, otherwise you will just be paying money for owning land. Which is a net loss. This can vary based on the method of valuation used, but I hope you get my point. Low demand land needs to act as it is, a mass-sale product with low margins.

In contrast you have housing. Rental housing is entirely designed to maximise profit on a fixed supply. As a result, you need people in those houses to pay you rent to cover the tax. If you pass that on? You can easily price yourself out of the market, and as you can't reduce total supply without demolishing the property, your only option is to sell to someone willing to stomach the cost cutting into their margins.

If the tax is too large? You could seriously see the mass sale of property, which then lowers the price, and thus the value of the land sold. That lowers the tax, actually dragging the price down.

Now, IMO, I expect that scenario would lead to significant redevelopment of inner city areas. Replacing two story terraces with an upstairs and downstairs with new constructions that might be as high as 4 stories, or even 6. That increases profit be sq ft, and also land value, but unless the method of valuation is tied to that rental income, you'd still receive larger profits by increasing density.

(I hope that made sense. Writing about land tax on a phone keyboard is a pain).

As a fellow who grew up fairly rural, on a farm, who loves seeing land in an 'unused' state used by critters, who enjoys owning a few acres of unused land. I can see a downside to this. The planet doesn't have to be developed from head to toe. I guess I'm from a part of the world where land control isn't an obvious issue.

This is why most proposals do include certain exemptions. Like nature reserves, common land, designated meadows, etc.

Plus, the argument can be had that a nature reserve is not unproductive. There is value in providing a place people can see animals in the wild. It's why we have safari after all.

Skallagrim

Banned
I understand that the 2008 financial crisis was mainly caused by the re-packaging and re-selling of subprime loans.

And also the moral hazard caused by such things as the bailout of "Long Term Capital Management" in 1998, so that the big dogs knew that if there was ever a system-wide crisis, they'd most likely be bailed out.

A big issue, certainly in the USA, yet the same underlying trouble was everywhere. I know a lot of people in the Netherlands also rand into major trouble, not so much because the mortgage structures were all bad (although some were), but simply because banks had afforded too much credit (more than the clients could realistically keep paying off if the economy took a downturn). This problem persisted globally. The diseased trickery that proved to be the impetus was certainly a big problem, but the biggest issue ulyimately proved to be "we've extended credit that will only be paid back if the economy keeps booming". And, yes, 'moral hazard' played a major role in that. No matter whether it was the USA or any given European country or whatever-- the banks were confident that they'd be bailed out.

As far as this discussion is concerned, the point I wanted to make was that using LVT as a way to ensure that too much credit isn't pumped into real estate financing is a dangerous step, because it can easily swing the other way and choke off legitimate financing as well. Most young families rely on it, and -- under normal circumstances -- are good for it; can pay it off. If you miscalculate the effect of using an LVT as an manipulative instrument, that can really cause issues for a lot of average families just as bad as what we saw in 2008... but because of a dearth of financing.

Or, put more succinctly: I'm saying an LVT isn't a magical tool that can fix all ills and has no possible draw-backs, as some of its more fervent proponents occasionally seem to believe.

PS This has squarely become a spanning topic in which we're talking about 1800s policy norms affecting the 1900s and beyond, but I like spanning topics.

Looking at the time-frame, it would be interesting to see what would happen if an LVT were to be implemented in the early 19th century or something, especially later on when the economy really starts to move away from agrarianism. Personally, I think an LVT would be unlikely, and that you'd more likely see a 'regular' property tax. But a country that has its taxation centred on a property tax might at some point undergo reform (due to a Henry George analogue?) and change it to an LVT. And then when land ownership becomes less and less relevant... well, another overhaul, I suspect.

See I'm not so sure you are correct here. Fundamentally if you did as you suggested, you've priced yourself out of a sale there, making your land less productive. If anything you'd do better to absorb the tax and invest, or even lower the price so that it is used more often. Whilst land itself is inelastic, access is too. You can only sell so much time a year, and you want that access to be as high as possible, otherwise you will just be paying money for owning land. Which is a net loss. This can vary based on the method of valuation used, but I hope you get my point. Low demand land needs to act as it is, a mass-sale product with low margins.

(...) [snipped for length]

I think the bolded part is perhaps the crux. My thinking here is, quite simply, that all land-owners are likely to hand added costs off to renters or to those buying the products of whatever land usage the owner carries out himself.

If, for example, John owns plot A and rents it to Pete, and Pete's annual rent is initially 1000 bucks per [period], and then an LVT is implemented that costs John 200 bucks per [period], then John is just going to up Pete's rent to 1200 bucks per [period]. And every single "John" in the country will do that. Same reason why, when they raised the VAT in my country, all the stores raised all prices of all affected goods with about the same percentage. That always happens. "Hey, my costs of doing business went up, so my prices go up, too. That's life, buddy!"

Similarly, if John also owns plot B and raises some crop on it, which he sells at a total price that gets him about 2000 bucks every [period], and an LVT is implemented that costs him 500 bucks per [period] for that plot of land, he will slighly increase the prices of his crops with the aim of making 2500 every [period], thus off-setting the additional costs. This, too, is something that every agrarian ever has always done when faced with yet another tax hike.

The idea of "pricing yourself out of the market" won't really enter into consideration here, because the whole market is affected, and general market pricing will be adjusted accordingly.

The real result of an LVT is in those cases where John owns plot C, which lies fallow. That plot is going to cost John money when the LVT is implemented, which means he has to do something with it. That's also the goal of the tax, in the eyes of many: to ensure that people use all the land they own productively. Whether that is always a good idea may be debated, but I'm not denying the effect. As I wrote before: certainly in urban areas, discouraging the non-use of valuable land might be great boon.

My point was not that the LVT cannot have such positive results, but to note that Mill was let us say rather too optimistic in his belief that the burden wouldn't be shifted onto others. On the contrary: the burden is always shifted onto others, as is inevitably the case with almost all taxes. If it can be shifted onto others... it will be.

I think the bolded part is perhaps the crux. My thinking here is, quite simply, that all land-owners are likely to hand added costs off to renters or to those buying the products of whatever land usage the owner carries out himself.

Understandable, as that is typically what happens, it's the whole rationale behind Sin Taxes.

If, for example, John owns plot A and rents it to Pete, and Pete's annual rent is initially 1000 bucks per [period], and then an LVT is implemented that costs John 200 bucks per [period], then John is just going to up Pete's rent to 1200 bucks per [period]. And every single "John" in the country will do that. Same reason why, when they raised the VAT in my country, all the stores raised all prices of all affected goods with about the same percentage. That always happens. "Hey, my costs of doing business went up, so my prices go up, too. That's life, buddy!"

Similarly, if John also owns plot B and raises some crop on it, which he sells at a total price that gets him about 2000 bucks every [period], and an LVT is implemented that costs him 500 bucks per [period] for that plot of land, he will slighly increase the prices of his crops with the aim of making 2500 every [period], thus off-setting the additional costs. This, too, is something that every agrarian ever has always done when faced with yet another tax hike.

The idea of "pricing yourself out of the market" won't really enter into consideration here, because the whole market is affected, and general market pricing will be adjusted accordingly.

The real result of an LVT is in those cases where John owns plot C, which lies fallow. That plot is going to cost John money when the LVT is implemented, which means he has to do something with it. That's also the goal of the tax, in the eyes of many: to ensure that people use all the land they own productively. Whether that is always a good idea may be debated, but I'm not denying the effect. As I wrote before: certainly in urban areas, discouraging the non-use of valuable land might be great boon.

My point was not that the LVT cannot have such positive results, but to note that Mill was let us say rather too optimistic in his belief that the burden wouldn't be shifted onto others. On the contrary: the burden is always shifted onto others, as is inevitably the case with almost all taxes. If it can be shifted onto others... it will be.

(To start with the end) I don't disagree with the premise that there will be an attempt to shift it, I just don't think it is something that can be maintained.

I think the main point here is that you're comparing Single-Sale with Repeat Sale and treating them as if they behave the same way. I can only sell each packet of cigarettes once, and whilst someone will buy more from me, that VAT is on that sale, and that sale alone. One off cost. We typically don't consider the price fluctuation on single-sale in aggregate in the way you can with repeat-sale.

In this situation we're talking about a periodical cost on something that needs to be sold EVERY period to have the behaviour match. Taking your scenario, Pete will shop around, and next time, he won't buy from that specific John, looking for any John with a lower price. This could mean people are lowering the quality of housing they live in in the short term, the low-price Johns taking the customers of the now high-price Johns. Or they might even decide "You know what? Pete is going to get a mortgage because that is cheaper" - which is more than likely because I can't think of a single LVT that doesn't exclude your primary residence in some capacity. Now, not only have we had demand shift, we've also had it decline which typically forces prices down. John might not be the most expensive John, but there will be a John who loses out, and then either considers to sell, or lower his prices.

I think this is where Mill may get his optimism from. There are always a John that win if you offload the tax cost, and a John that loses (by pricing themselves out) - and the losing John can in the next period flip that around by sucking up the cost of the tax. That isn't to say that the complete absorption of the tax doesn't take a decade or more, but that adjustment would happen - or perhaps it leads to an absorption of 70% rather than 100% in which case we can agree that Mill is optimistic, both about the efficiency of the market, and LVT.

I suppose this is just a long form way of saying, I don't disagree with you, but I think it deserved unpackaging (at least from my perspective). But I do agree, there are positive results, they are primarily on the reuse of fallow land, or the improvement of land in use.

----

I feel like I ought to actually answer the OP at some point, shouldn't I?

In the case of the USA - I think you'd actually radically hamstring the railroads, for a start.

One is that the rails themselves now are more expensive periodically as the land they are on must be paid for - but the big gift given by the government to rail barons suddenly has a price tag on it. That give away to the rail companies was a huge motivator as they knew the land would skyrocket in value later on. Unless you had exemptions for that land, in which case you get a very different problem. If you have a perpetual exemption, excluding sale, you'd have rail companies that to this day would have rental properties next to railways. If it was a timed exemption, the time frame would make a big difference.

It really does depend on the exact structure of the LVT. One that excludes agriculture makes farmland slightly more cost-effective in relative terms. One that excludes homesteads but not land might lead to smaller ranches. Heck - if you preserve the concept of the Common Land, you could have ranchers who effectively run their herds on large areas of Common Land, with only Barns and outbuildings actually owned by the ranchers. On one hand you have less fights over cattle breaking fences as there are fewer, but on the other, who knows what will happen to your herds.

Plantations, oddly enough might benefit compared to other forms. Their focus on high-value goods rather than grain or cattle means that per square foot? They make more money. They certainly wouldn't be happy, but if agriculture isn't exempt (including plantations in this) they're in a better place.

Heck, you could have it be a weird way to change the southern economy. By having a land tax on plantations, the less profitable plantations might choose to invest in building factories. Suddenly in the middle of cotton fields you have that one renegade making textiles. A more scary note is potentially using their land to house slaves for their neighbours in exchange for money. Offloading the costs of keeping your slaves under control overnight? Could be worth it.

I suppose my point is that it really depends on where and when the LVT is implemented, as so often the non-cost of land is such a huge deal. Making everyone effectively rent the land from the government changes EVERYTHING.

====================

PS This has squarely become a spanning topic in which we're talking about 1800s policy norms affecting the 1900s and beyond, but I like spanning topics. :openedeyewink:

There were other factors, of which I don't have a clear idea of the weight of each.

Overbuilding in the high end residential sector. When the dust settled it was not the lower end residences that sat empty unsold for 12+ months. Three bedroom 'starter' homes and 'downsize' homes were still in solid demand. At the other end the new up scale McMansions in the $400k to $800k range (depending on market location) were sitting empty by the hundreds.

Katrina Factor. At the time risk was running past reason the early 21st Cent. wave of tropical storms ran up building industry cost through ramped up demand for materials, which caused prices to surge x2 to x4. ie: 1000' rolls of common 2-12 electric wire jumped from $86 to $350+. Or, my liability insurance jumped from $50 per month to $ 130 per. This ramped up home owner costs and tipped many who were on the edge into bankruptcy/foreclosure, or selling out at a steeply below market price, which stalled price growth & then started a downward trend.

Last edited:
Taking your scenario, Pete will shop around, and next time, he won't buy from that specific John, looking for any John with a lower price. This could mean people are lowering the quality of housing they live in in the short term, the low-price Johns taking the customers of the now high-price Johns.
And then higher priced John lowers his standards to match, or caters to clients who will pay more for the higher standard. You see this in today's market: lower priced goods that are of lower quality, or smaller portions. A lot of times, the producer will slowly reduce the portion size so you don't notice that the 16 oz potato chip bag of your youth is now 7 oz, or that while the washing machine your parents had lasted a lifetime, yours needs replacing every couple years. If you want a portion size/quality equivalent of before, you pay more.

one way or another, increased production costs get passed along, unless the producer can figure out how to save on production costs elsewhere. Sometimes, the savings can come through efficiency measures, but this can put people out of work and onto the dole, passing the cost along in a hidden fashion.

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
. . . Katrina Factor. At the time risk was running past reason the early 21st Cent. wave of tropical storms ran up building industry cost through ramped up demand for materials, which caused prices to surge x2 to x4. ie: 1000' rolls of common 2-12 electric wire jumped from $86 to $350+. . .
And builders might figure, if we’re going to put the money, we got to be sure to get the money out.

And thus one more factor in favor of McMansions.

Instead of volume, volume, volume and selling a lot of starter homes. Basically, the homes I’m familiar with when we moved after my 4th grade year in elementary school (age 10).

And builders might figure, if we’re going to put the money, we got to be sure to get the money out.

And thus one more factor in favor of McMansions. ...

The McMansions did have a higher profit margin, or so I was told by the experts. At least until sales fell off, then they did not. Those I looked at were clearly built with cost cutting in mind. 3000 square foot houses with substandard construction from foundation to ridge cap. Not only were they depending on the buyers continuing to spend on oversize houses, but they were increasingly gambling on the buyers not knowing s...t from Shinola. At the end large scale builders like CP Morgan & Beezer Homes were taking out fresh construction loans just to service their debt on houses they'd built but were unsold. My cousin was a VP of a small rural bank and described to me how the regional and national scale builders and their primary lenders were scouring about searching for yet more capitol to bridge a growing pile of unsold houses/unserviceable debt.