What Would Byzantine Horror Media Look Like?

Eparkhos

Banned
Inspired by all the other threads.

Given what I know of Byzantine culture, I would assume that there would be a heavy emphasis on supernatural horror, with demons, spirits and the like. I also think that fear of the unknown would be a major factor, as just about every other group the Byzzies encountered tried to kill them on multiple occaisons.

Roman and Greek horror heavily involved murderous spirits and supernatural/preternatural beings. Much of Europe at the time had tales of vampires, witches, etc. I'd assume it would be the same in the the Greek side of the Byzantine Empire, while the Eastern side would have their own distinct folklore and horror tales. Don't forget, the empire was very multi-ethnic.

To the question, Byzantine horror is not going to look all that different from horror in the Balkans today, nor from traditional western (Christian) horror. It is going to experience more or less the same internal and external forces that the Balkans experienced.

Beyond the initial question, I'm going to quote part of my response from the original Norse Horror thread because I think its equally useful here (also, Cohen's work is a great introduction to the academic study of horror and is totally worth a read if you're interested in the subject).

In his first theses from Monster Culture (Seven Theses), Jeffery Jerome Cohen writes that "The Monster's Body Is a Cultural Body." Horror and monsters are deeply interwoven with culture, and unfortunately, without knowing more about the specifics of a culture in question it becomes very difficult to examine what its horror media might look like. That said, what do monsters come about from then? Monsters are as Cohen says, a category crisis. Humans by our nature like to categorize things, and monsters don't fit neatly into categories. Monsters often come into existence in response to something new, something which lacks a current category. Paradigm shifts (as Thomas Kuhn would write about), new discoveries, and interactions with an alien culture are examples of which. Beowulf, for example, was written in a time when Christianity is making significant inroads into Scandinavia (and its influence in the epic is quite clear, with Grendel being described as the blood of Cain). Scandinavia is experiencing an identity crisis and the Beowulf story is a means to express this and come to terms with it. The epic is ultimately an example of the synthesis of the old (Norse mythology) and the new (Christianity), of which we see many examples of in the Sagas as well. Monsters exemplify difference, with Grendel being a monster void of all civilization and an anthropage. These differences are part of what frighten us. In a jungian since, Monsters are a cultural Shadow.

While fun, all of these threads tend to just propose ideas of things without actually looking at why these might be horrifying. The Balkan Vampire did not develop in some vacuum, it came about precisely because it represented the fears and hidden desires of the people there. It evolved over time as its society changed from its origins in fear of slavic pagans to its modern form of an immortal undead entity. Monsters are a cultural mirror, they reflect the society they exist in. To use another example from my original post:

The Haitian Zombi likely has its origins in direct response to slavery and slave like conditions of workers in post-slavery Haiti, and bares little resemblance aside the name to the modern zombie, and this is reflected in early zombie films and literature being radically different from the modern example (see White Zombie as an example). The modern zombie does not really develop until George A. Romero's Night of the Living Dead, where living dead are far more analogous to the arabic ghul (and are in fact not referred to as zombies as such in the film, but ghouls). This itself is an important point, because monsters themselves change with us, they are a reflection of society and so as the fears change, so does the expression of them.

Monsters aren't fixed things and they're also not just something that is thought up on a whim, they represent very real forces within a society and monsters area created at least in part to grapple with that fact.

Last edited:
A good Byzantine crime series. A clerical investigator, priorly had been kicked out of a priest seminary and his buddy a Varegean guardsman are on the track of the mysterious crimes.

Mind if I steal this idea for a series of books/movies in an alt-history piece I'm writing?

Kaze

Banned
A good Byzantine crime series. A clerical investigator, priorly had been kicked out of a priest seminary and his buddy a Varegean guardsman are on the track of the mysterious crimes.

The Cleric = Sherlock Holmes / Cadfael / Father Brown type
Varengean Guard = Watson
high class prostitute who is blackmailing the future King of Jerusalem = Irene Adler
so...
who would be Professor Moriarty? Bets on a Turk or a Venetian merchant.

Turtledove created the Basil Argyros stories, which similarly are about taking a modern genre- secret agent espionage- and placing it in a Byzantine setting.