What would be the effects of a self made "free Germany" on the allied occupation?

The idea of such a scenario is that on late WWII, but not on the last days, maybe something between february and march of 1945, a Free Germany surges. To give us some base of discussion, let's say that the 20 july plot doesn't happens, and instead the conspirators kill Paul Giesler, the nazi governor of bavaria, and seize most of the state, maybe go as far as Nuremberg since the front is collapsing as the allies move inside the Rhine. This free germany coordenate with the allies into destroying the troops in-between themselves and fight a delaying action against any attack from nazi troops in Czechoslovakia and Austria, until the allied troops connect with free Germany who surrenders immeditely, but instead of demobilizing they hand over the control of their troops to the allies who use them until the end of the war.

What happens to Germany on such a scenario?

let me tag someone who might have a guess, @Stenz

marathag

Banned
1933-German-Elections-600x468.png

Nah, a 'Free Germany' would have been more likely in the lighter colored Districts in the West

Last edited:

Deleted member 94680

As @marathag has said, Bavaria is an unlikely part of Germany for this to rise from.

Historically, the July Plotters were pretty poorly organised and their plot extended to a bomb in Rastenburg and not much else. This is a whole another level of plotting to get something like this together.

They’d need popular support to survive beyond a few days though

Give us ideas, of other places, then.

Free Germany: "Look we're free now!"

allies: "cool, who asked you?"

Read the OP: "the allied troops connect with free Germany who surrenders immeditely "

I am just asking about stuff like, will this be shown in movies? Will such a thing strengh the clean wehrmacht myth? Which politicians could join it?

Deleted member 94680

Give us ideas, of other places, then.

To be fair I’m not sure anywhere in Germany would, in this timeframe. Support for the Hitler regime was high until the very end, a few famous examples notwithstanding.
I am just asking about stuff like, will this be shown in movies? Will such a thing strengh the clean wehrmacht myth? Which politicians could join it?

If this does happen, which I doubt, then yes. It would be blown out of all proportion in the Cold War era. Just as the Clean Wehrmacht Myth (outright lie, more like) was heavily disseminated by the West, this Free Germany would be trumpeted far and wide.

If this does happen, which I doubt, then yes. It would be blown out of all proportion in the Cold War era. Just as the Clean Wehrmacht Myth (outright lie, more like) was heavily disseminated by the West, this Free Germany would be trumpeted far and wide.

Assuming the july 20 plot didn't happened, which generals could be part of this army? Stauffenberg is a go?

Deleted member 94680

Assuming the july 20 plot didn't happened, which generals could be part of this army? Stauffenberg is a go?
I’m no expert, but I imagine many of the July personalities could figure here. @LumineVonReuental has a good TL on a realistic July Plot and it’s aftermath.

Problem is, IIRC, that even if the Generals were anti-Hitler their units by no means were. Most of the July plotters were General Staff officers and as such had no troops anyway.

The free Germans would be screwed because their fate had already been decided between Churchill, Stalin, Roosevelt. Too little too late to change the timeline.