What Would an Islamic Indian Subcontinent Look Like?

Would an Islamic Indian Subcontinent be better for the region

• Yes

Votes: 35 27.6%
  • No

Votes: 92 72.4%

• Total voters

Srihari14

Banned
why? that was far from reality until plassey "that bloody close run thing" as one of the british commanding officers said in their diary.

changes in india change the whole trade situation in the indian ocean, and that can change the political situation in Europe.
Most of India was under Islamic Rule during the Middle ages, so its not impossible to history to not change, and Britain would most likely colonise India, if India is divided

With a Caliphate POD, you are butterflying away much of the history of Europe. I'm not even sure if England will be united in the first place ITTL.

Srihari14

Banned
With a Caliphate POD, you are butterflying away much of the history of Europe. I'm not even sure if England will be united in the first place ITTL.
The Pod can be anytime, What I am asking is what do you think would be the Geopolitical and Cultural effects on India and Islam(As they would be the world's largest religion now)

What would this mean for Indochina? With them surrounded by two Muslim regions (India and Indonesia), could this mean they might become Islamized as well?

Most of India was under Islamic Rule during the Middle ages, so its not impossible to history to not change, and Britain would most likely colonise India, if India is divided
even if colonization still happens, there are just as many chances that would be the french or the dutch to do it, or that india would end up divided into many competing powers, or between native and foreign powers, or that britain loses the 100 years war, or succumbs to owain glyndwr's rebellion and gets divided as per tripartite indenture, because a butterfly flapped its wings the wrong way in patna.
you really should lay down the determinism lmao

Srihari14

Banned
even if colonization still happens, there are just as many chances that would be the french or the dutch to do it, or that india would end up divided into many competing powers, or between native and foreign powers, or that britain loses the 100 years war, or succumbs to owain glyndwr's rebellion and gets divided as per tripartite indenture, because a butterfly flapped its wings the wrong way in patna.

If you read Indian History, It was pretty clear Muslims were the most powerful political force in the countryduring middle ages, however, most muslim rulers were turks as such did not want to impose Islam rather Make a fortune using Jizya, If India was lets say was conquered by the arabs in the Umayyad campaigns in India if Chalukya and Gurjara-Pratihara did not form an alliance, effectively makeing the whole of Indo Gangetic Plain as well as Western India Islamic

Wait... is this like 51% Islamic or about 99%?

If it is 51% it still won't better as India would be even more a mess. If it is 99% it might be better but so would it be if it was 99% Hindu, Sikh, Buddhist or Catholic.

Srihari14

Banned
Wait... is this like 51% Islamic or about 99%?

If it is 51% it still won't better as India would be even more a mess. If it is 99% it might be better but so would it be if it was 99% Hindu, Sikh, Buddhist or Catholic.
I am thinking of a situation Based on the Latter (99% Muslim), As it would Make India would the largest Muslim Nation and also affect the Islamic world Massively, both in terms of culture and politics

The Dutch..? No. The Dutch in the 18th century were in no position to replace Britain in the colonisation of India. The French... maybe... but you need a Frenchmen who thinks the conquest of an Indian region like Bengal is a good thing rather than only secure trade agreements with various rulers.

Srihari14

Banned
The Dutch..? No. The Dutch in the 18th century were in no position to replace Britain in the colonisation of India. The French... maybe... but you need a Frenchmen who thinks the conquest of an Indian region like Bengal is a good thing rather than only secure trade agreements with various rulers.
yeah only the British had the potential at the time

with a pod that far behind? they sure as hell can.
wait where is the pod

I am thinking of a situation Based on the Latter (99% Muslim), As it would Make India would the largest Muslim Nation and also affect the Islamic world Massively, both in terms of culture and politics

Lots of butterflies. For 99% India you need an earlier invasion of India. Like maybe 400-500 years earlier (between 750-850 AD) and more fragmentation and selfrule by local Muslims. I doubt that would be enough but it thw best you could get.

I still doubt it would be united even if it was 99% Islamic. And too much changes in OTL.

with a pod that far behind? they sure as hell can.
wait where is the pod

If you mean the French can I already agreed on that. But the Dutch won't. The VOC was already losing money in the time the British made an attempt on conquest of Bengal. They barely managed to defend against the ruler of Travancore at the same time. Anytime before that and the Mughal Emperor still rules the lands.

Deleted member 114175

If you read Indian History, It was pretty clear Muslims were the most powerful political force in the countryduring middle ages, however, most muslim rulers were turks as such did not want to impose Islam rather Make a fortune using Jizya, If India was lets say was conquered by the arabs in the Umayyad campaigns in India if Chalukya and Gurjara-Pratihara did not form an alliance, effectively makeing the whole of Indo Gangetic Plain as well as Western India Islamic
Well, conquering the whole Indo-Gangetic Plain would really stretch Umayyad logistics, so it would probably dissolve into a series of loosely Umayyad-affiliated polities, or face significant rebellions within a few years after the conquest. With an Umayyad POD, Turkic rulers would probably still become prevalent in India, as the Umayyad policies on non-Arab Muslims made the Abbasid Revolution mostly inevitable, and Abbasid policies on recruiting ghilman troops are what led to Turkic dynasties predominating in their former lands.

The post-Abbasid Ghaznavids, with their effective and adaptable army, could finalize the conquest of the Indo-Gangetic Plain that the Umayyads would have started, and then the succeeding Ghurids (although they probably wouldn't exist in the same form), instead of being the first to conquer the Ganges would already control it as their main powerbase. If the Ghurids have similar successes they could conquer into the Deccan Plateau and Bengal, forming a Delhi Sultanate analogue earlier on. Maybe opening it up for the Seljuks (because why not?) to settle in as the first Turkic Deccan Sultanate.

If you mean the French can I already agreed on that. But the Dutch won't. The VOC was already losing money in the time the British made an attempt on conquest of Bengal. They barely managed to defend against the ruler of Travancore at the same time. Anytime before that and the Mughal Emperor still rules the lands.
if the pod is during abassid times i would imagine these european powers woutd be really different from what we're used to.
hell,if the pod this far behind india has a lot of chances to avoid colonization altogether.
if the pod is more recent though, who knows, you can def be right.

Srihari14

Banned
I think the Topic has been deviating, - The question is What Would an Islamic Indian Subcontinent Look Like?, not How Would an Islamic Indian Subcontinent Come To Be?

Deleted member 114175

I think the Topic has been deviating, - The question is What Would an Islamic Indian Subcontinent Look Like?, not How Would an Islamic Indian Subcontinent Come To Be?
To figure out the first question, we probably need an answer for the latter question. 1300 years of alternate history exists between the POD and the modern day, and it could diverge in many different ways.

Each dynasty, state, or economic development would impart its own influences that compound over time and create a different world in the end.

Last edited by a moderator:

Srihari14

Banned
To figure out the first question, we probably need an answer for the latter question. 1300 years of alternate history exists between the POD and the modern day, and it could diverge in many different ways.

Each dynasty, state, or economic development would impart its own influences that compound over time and create a different world in the end.
Fair enough, which point of time is most likely to have the greatest success in converting India to Islam

I'd say if Chalukya and Gurjara-Pratihara did not form an alliance against the Arabs, we could see an Islamic north India at the very least

Srihari14

Banned
Also I have noticed that in the poll, most people say it would be worse if the whole of India was Muslim, any reasons from them