What would a country formed after a successful slave revolt in the American South be called?

If new country had been formed in the American South following a successful slave revolt, what would the former slaves name their new nation? Would they choose an African name? Keep to the state pattern of the USA? Would they be inspired by Marx and Engels?

I'll put forward three different scenarios for a successful revolt.
1847 - Slaves take advantage of American involvement in the Mexican-American War to revolt
1863 - A mass revolt following the Emancipation Proclamation and the US allows them to form a new nation in out of slave majority states
1876 - Following a Confederate Victory in the Civil War the US begins supplying arms to slaves and pro-union groups in the CSA leading to a Confederate civil war

This isn't really a thread about how possible any of these scenarios are. I'm just interested in what nations created by these scenarios would be.

The American South did not have the demographic and social structure necessary for a successful large scale slave revolt that establishes a state within its border

Last edited:
Asbistan.

Yes, I agree with some previous posts that there is not way how it could succeed. Slaves hadn't workable social network, not military training nor weapons. And even if Unionists manage to supply weapons to slaves, them have not that training and social struckture which would make that succesful.

My POD (inspired by latest Smithsonian Magazine): IOTL, before and after the Mexican-American war, some slaves escaped across the Rio Grande and settled down (Mexico, especially after the war, granted escaped slaves asylum and refused all extradition requests). POD is lots more escaped across, and Mexico eventually carves out a (very) small administrative region for them somewhere in northern / northeastern Mexico along the Rio Grande. Not an independent nation, though.

1847 - Slaves take advantage of American involvement in the Mexican-American War to revolt
As much as I want Santa Anna to march down from Texas and the deep south to new york city and start a slave rebellion as a resylt also balkanize the USA being like screwed big time. I think that a Mexico in alot betetr shape might be able to pull this off if its luky. If stll the same circumstances, i dont think so

This isn't really a thread about how possible any of these scenarios are. I'm just interested in what nations created by these scenarios would be.

Maybe not an African name since that's mostly erased, but depending on the circumstances, it would be influenced by who's leading the slave revolt.

I'm partial to the names Ephraim and Manasseh myself, what with my own ideas of a slave revolt led by a religious movement that claims descent from the lost tribes of Israel, which is more likely than Marxist influence in America at the time. :p

If they had beaten the Maryland Colonization Society to the punch, they could take the name of Liberia. Geographic names like Savannah and Yazoo sound good, too. It does depend on where this freedmen's state is, how much it could carve out of Dixie.

The only way a "black nation" could form for any significant manner of time would be in the 18th century inland GA/TN/KY area along with indigenous tribes who were able to make a pact and white encroachment.

The issue is tribes dealt with white men for 3 things: trade goods, horses and guns.

One could argue that given the regions in West and Central Africa black americans were sold from areas with long blacksmithing, mining and weaving traditions runaways/maroons could bring said industries into this supposed confederation. By not selling raw materials and instead producing their own materials the impetus to support traders and thus future settlers dies. As time goes on enslaved people like Black-Catawba Horace King could add to the skill set and magnitude of technological acquisition.

GA/TN/KY had all the materials necessary for a thriving mining and production region from Iron to silver to coal. Cotton can be grown and horse can be stolen and raised. The need to deplete deer numbers for trade goods would die. The maroons could be accepted as a collection of towns throughout the lower creek, upper creek and cherokee town system.

If say some tribal leader was able to raid one of Eli Whitney's musket production factories and kidnapped or adopted someone with that knowledge to produce them you would be able to have a confederation pretty much stop American encroachment.

It wouldn't be a "black country" necessarily it would be a Mustee nation, mustee being an english corruption of the spanish term Mestizo that just meant mixed people who are part native american but later meant exclusively those of black-native ancestry.

Anyways I imagine the name would be in both Creek and Cherokee maybe just the Muscogee Confederacy if the Cherokee went to join them.

Last edited:
As much as I want Santa Anna to march down from Texas and the deep south to new york city and start a slave rebellion
Firstly having Santa Ana march to NYC is ASB. Secondly a slave revolt in NYC would also be ASB seeing as New York had been a free state for 20 years at that point.
GA/TN/KY had all the materials necessary for a thriving mining and production region from Iron to silver to coal. Cotton can be grown and horse can be stolen and raised. The need to deplete deer numbers for trade goods would die. The maroons could be accepted as a collection of towns throughout the lower creek, upper creek and cherokee town system.

If say some tribal leader was able to raid one of Eli Whitney's musket production factories and kidnapped or adopted someone with that knowledge to produce them you would be able to have a confederation pretty much stop American encroachment.
That would take more than ore and knowing how to assemble a rifle. You'd also need to know how to smelt the ores into metal before you can starting casting/boring/soldering.

The only way a "black nation" could form for any significant manner of time would be in the 18th century inland GA/TN/KY area along with indigenous tribes who were able to make a pact and white encroachment.

The issue is tribes dealt with white men for 3 things: trade goods, horses and guns.

One could argue that given the regions in West and Central Africa black americans were sold from areas with long blacksmithing, mining and weaving traditions runaways/maroons could bring said industries into this supposed confederation. By not selling raw materials and instead producing their own materials the impetus to support traders and thus future settlers dies. As time goes on enslaved people like Black-Catawba Horace King could add to the skill set and magnitude of technological acquisition.

It wouldn't be a "black country" necessarily it would be a Mustee nation, mustee being an english corruption of the spanish term Mestizo that just meant mixed people who are part native american but later meant exclusively those of black-native ancestry.

Anyways I imagine the name would be in both Creek and Cherokee maybe just the Muscogee Confederacy if the Cherokee went to join them.
Makes one think of the State of Muskogee, actually. Granted, this wasn't really a slave revolt state (though it definitely drew support from rebellious slaves and afro-native groups) but I'd reckon it's a good bit more viable than anything else that you could realistically dream of, especially if the USA's attentions were turned; methinks the XYZ affair popping off could generate such a scenario.