What were the biggest tech and weapon mistakes and missed opportunities of Germany in ww2

the crap Type XXI subs that showed the Americans what not to do with GUPPY? Like build battery cells that could only be serviced by a crewman shuffling along on his belly on a cat-crawl one dropped tool away from a discharge and a chlorine gas release or hydrogen ignition event? Those deathtraps?
Oh, and I will add, those death traps which the Americans (whose technological prowess and judgement you have extolled numerous times here) trusted enough to operate for years afterwards, put the president on board, dive to a depth of 440 feet, and then also demonstrate the snorkel to said president? Those death traps?

Last edited:

McPherson

Banned
Oh, and I will add, those death traps which the Americans (whose technological prowess you have extolled numerous times here) trusted enough to put the president on board, dive to a depth of 440 feet, and then also demonstrate the snorkel? Those death traps?
Yes, those death traps.

Not man-rated.

Yes, those death traps.

Not man-rated.
You're going back on what you've said. You've stated many times how great the Americans were in all regards, but you draw the line at agreeing with their judgements when it does not align with your narrative of German clown tech. You're clearly cherry-picking evidence, and discarding anything that does not agree with your narrative, no matter how absurd your line of reasoning becomes as a result. I don't know whether I should take your arguments seriously anymore.

Last edited:
Seems to me that 'Stockpile (more) oil (before going to war)' is an obvious missed opportunity ...

To achive this, given limited foreign exchnage (before looting half of Europe) strikes me to be the bigger question (POD earlier synthetic production, POD spending less foreign exchange on other thigs, POD get some more credit from American Banks (issue a few more Bonds), POD do more deals with oil suppliers earlier & buy on credit etc. etc.). This is althistory === the Nazi's can pay for it with Handwavium ..

As to where to store all this extra oil, well, that's the least of their problems = 'use salt domes' is just as good an answer as any other ... I would have thought any old disused mine would do the trick, if not then I suppose purpose built underground storage** tanks (for the finished products - gasoline, diesel etc) could be constructed (although no-doubt "some-one" will tell me how impossible it is to store oil products underground in any way what-so-ever without it catching fire or blowing up)

**Without wishing to get into an argument, I woud have thought that underground storage would be a harder to destroy with bombs and lower priority target than, say, the synthetic oil plant or the oil refineries ...

McPherson

Banned
You're going back on what you've said. You've stated many times how great the Americans were in all regards, but you draw the line at agreeing with their judgements when it does not align with your narrative of German clown tech. You're clearly cherry-picking evidence, and discarding anything that does not agree with your narrative, no matter how absurd your line of reasoning becomes as a result. I don't know whether I should take your arguments seriously anymore.
Have you seriously READ ANYTHING I wrote about the Americans and their own WWII performance?

Here's a sample...

Submarines...

Just using LNT models, and tweaking launch platform tonnage about 25%

The IJN was limited to 52,700 tons (26 -52 boats new construction) and wanted 78,000 tons (39-78) boats new construction)

The upper limits set at 78,000 would make things "difficult" for the USN and RN, but would have probably have worked in the Wally interests better.

British efforts...

As for that 600 ton SD limit and below for unlimited subs? Naughty, naughty.

Note the casualty rate for the British boats? about 45% lost of units built. (24 of them.)

Japanese submarine construction...

-195 ocean going boats in a bewildering series of types. (Most of them slaughtered.)
-700 coastal brown water types of less than 50 tons displacement. (Most of them never used.)

US submarine follies.

~100 boats as of Pearl Harbor and 240 war builds. That is correct... 240 war-builds.

Now suppose Congress gets off its duff and allows the O, R, and S boats (13 year replacement rule in the treaties) to be replaced by Mackerels (~600 ton SD treaty cheaters)? And Uncle gets to build to 78.000 tons with the other boats? (39-78 boats). 96 + 78 = 174 boats which is 74 more boats than the 7 December listed as available. What happens as of that December month of 1941 if there are 100 boats in the PACFLT instead of the 60 as OOBed??

The actual results were 0.2 ships sunk per sortie (60 boats available.) =12 ships sunk that month.

40 more boats = 20 ships sunk. Assuming the crews remain trained wrong, the torpedoes do not work and Withers and English and W.E. Doyle remain the braindead idiots they were, not much changes. Need to solve the weapons, retrain the crews and send Withers and Doyle to the Aleutians to count penguins. (I know there are no penguins in the Aleutians, but ride with the metaphor!)
and another here...

Last edited:
Seems to me that 'Stockpile (more) oil (before going to war)' is an obvious missed opportunity ...

To achive this, given limited foreign exchnage (before looting half of Europe) strikes me to be the bigger question (POD earlier synthetic production, POD spending less foreign exchange on other thigs, POD get some more credit from American Banks (issue a few more Bonds), POD do more deals with oil suppliers earlier & buy on credit etc. etc.). This is althistory === the Nazi's can pay for it with Handwavium ..

As to where to store all this extra oil, well, that's the least of their problems = 'use salt domes' is just as good an answer as any other ... I would have thought any old disused mine would do the trick, if not then I suppose purpose built underground storage** tanks (for the finished products - gasoline, diesel etc) could be constructed (although no-doubt "some-one" will tell me how impossible it is to store oil products underground in any way what-so-ever without it catching fire or blowing up)

**Without wishing to get into an argument, I woud have thought that underground storage would be a harder to destroy with bombs and lower priority target than, say, the synthetic oil plant or the oil refineries ...
What they could have done is to make less synfuel, sell the coal instead and import the oil from the US with the money they got from selling coal. Oil was very cheap at the time.

Have you seriously READ ANYTHING I wrote about the Americans and their own WWII performance?

Here's a sample...

and another here...
I do not see many skin-heads and other assorted ill-educated yahoos, taking the tour to learn how NOT to design a submarine. I wish the USN had an example of a Type XXI as a comparator.

Absolutely horrible design.

GUPPY. That is an electro-boat done right from a Tench of all things. Better go see her before she is reefed. !@# !@#$ the idiots who want to turn her into a fish hatchery.
Here. You say that the Americans did the Elektroboot idea properly with their GUPPY submarines. Those same Americans whose submarine design abilities you praised, judged the Type XXI to be safe enough to give President Truman a tour, and to dive to 440 feet below the surface with him on board. The XXI was hardly a death trap; it was used by the victors' navies for well over a decade afterwards. Notably, not a single one sank on a voyage due to an accident in that period.

Last edited:
What they could have done is to make less synfuel, sell the coal instead and import the oil from the US with the money they got from selling coal. Oil was very cheap at the time.
Actualy, thats a very good idea, especially if they can get the price of coal up a bit ...
Back in the 1920's they started shipping 'free' coal instead of Reparations ... this led to a lot of problems for British mines [edit - which were suffereing from the drop in demand after the end of ww1] (General Strike and all that) == if they kept up with the free coal a bit longer, that would have resulted in a lot more mines closing down (and might have avoided the French marching into the Ruhr when they truned the taps off ...) == whoops, looks like one of Hitlers 'excuses' for remilitarisation of the Rhineland just got POD'd :)
But 10 years later, after half the British & French mines have been driven to the wall, the Greate Depression takes care of another good fraction and by 1935 or so the Germans have the market to themselves ...

Last edited:

McPherson

Banned
I do not see many skin-heads and other assorted ill-educated yahoos, taking the tour to learn how NOT to design a submarine. I wish the USN had an example of a Type XXI as a comparator.
So we have two examples of how not to design a submarine.
Here. You say that the Americans did the Elektroboot idea properly with their GUPPY submarines. Those same Americans whose submarine design abilities you praised, judged the Type XXI to be safe enough to give President Truman a tour, and to dive to 440 feet below the surface with him on board. The XXI was hardly a death trap; it was used by the victors' navies for well over a decade afterwards. Notably, not a single one sank on a voyage due to an accident in that period.
The U-2513 was overhauled by the USN at Charleston Navy Yard and was manned by an USN crew who knew what the boat was and what they were doing. As I understand it, GUPPY was a hard sell at the time and the submariners were fighting the flattop admirals for their share of the military budget. The American submarine admiralty wanted to show their president what they expected the Russians to deploy against the USN. The U-2513 type was probably going to be the tech model baseline for the Russian postwar boats (Whiskey and Zulu classes.). That dive and short trip was to demonstrate the snort in operation. Many people involved with the risky exercise knew it was an utter garbage boat, but the sale for GUPPY into a fleet boat rebuild program had to be made with an example of an existent snort boat of which the USN had but 2. The other hunk of junk was the U-3008. It was not quite ready, so U-2513 was nominated and Truman got to experience what a slam event was. That was November 1946. The CNO (Nimitz) approved the GUPPY test program in June of 1946 for 2 US boats (USS Odax and USS Pomodon), but Truman had to be sold with an actual eyes on demo to release further monies. Truman was from Missouri and he did not scare easy.

Significantly... another US president with brass ones the size of tubas was this guy.

The USS Plunger was a very dangerous boat when constructed. Highly experimental in 1903, she would be a test bed for the USN to learn how to fight in the contraptions.

"I myself am both amused and interested as to what you say about the interest excited about my trip in the Plunger. I went down in it chiefly because I did not like to have the officers and enlisted men think I wanted them to try things I was reluctant to try myself. I believe a good deal can be done with these submarines, although there is always the danger of people getting carried away with the idea and thinking that they can be of more use than they possibly could be."

Brass tubas... Teddy had them.

As president, Truman, did not want his sailors to risk what he would not do himself. That is why I LOVE Harry Truman.

The U-2513 was overhauled by the USN at Charleston Navy Yard and was manned by an USN crew who knew what the boat was and what they were doing. As I understand it, GUPPY was a hard sell at the time and the submariners were fighting the flattop admirals for their share of the military budget. The American submarine admiralty wanted to show their president what they expected the Russians to deploy against the USN. The U-2513 type was probably going to be the tech model baseline for the Russian postwar boats (Whiskey and Zulu classes.). That dive and short trip was to demonstrate the snort in operation. Many people involved with the risky exercise knew it was an utter garbage boat, but the sale for GUPPY into a fleet boat rebuild program had to be made with an example of an existent snort boat of which the USN had but 2. The other hunk of junk was the U-3008. It was not quite ready, so U-2513 was nominated and Truman got to experience what a slam event was. That was November 1946. The CNO (Nimitz) approved the GUPPY test program in June of 1946 for 2 US boats (USS Odax and USS Pomodon), but Truman had to be sold with an actual eyes on demo to release further monies. Truman was from Missouri and he did not scare easy.

Significantly... another US president with brass ones the size of tubas was this guy.

The USS Plunger was a very dangerous boat when constructed. Highly experimental in 1903, she would be a test bed for the USN to learn how to fight in the contraptions.

Brass tubas... Teddy had them.

As president, Truman, did not want his sailors to risk what he would not do himself. That is why I LOVE Harry Truman.
Still beat by the whole "Prepare to give a three hour long public speech. Get shot in the chest from close range. Proceed to make a small joke about the shooting and then go on to give the entire three hour long speech verbatim with blood pouring out of his chest before agreeing to go to the hospital".

Made even more insane by the fact that his glasses and written copy of the speech were hit by the bullet (and presumably helped save his life) and were ruined. Meaning that he somehow managed to memorize the entire fucking thing and do a perfect go in one instance despite the whole "Just being shot" thing.

I'm kind of surprised TR didn't insist on after finishing the speech following them up by doing a few hundred pull ups and push ups on the stage before going off to see this "Doctor" thing.

GUPPY. That is an electro-boat done right from a Tench of all things. Better go see her before she is reefed. !@# !@#$ the idiots who want to turn her into a fish hatchery.
It seems you disagree.

I don't buy for a second that the US Navy would have put Truman on board a submarine and dived with it unless it was very, very sure that it would all go right—To put things simply, that the submarine was not a death trap. Reason: The fallout of an accident with U-2513 that led to President Truman's death would have killed the GUPPY project's funding then and there.

The Type XXI was not a death trap. Any cursory glance at the class's history would explain as much.

McPherson

Banned
Still beat by the whole "Prepare to give a three hour long public speech. Get shot in the chest from close range. Proceed to make a small joke about the shooting and then go on to give the entire three hour long speech verbatim with blood pouring out of his chest before agreeing to go to the hospital".

Made even more insane by the fact that his glasses and written copy of the speech were hit by the bullet (and presumably helped save his life) and were ruined. Meaning that he somehow managed to memorize the entire fucking thing and do a perfect go in one instance despite the whole "Just being shot" thing.

I'm kind of surprised TR didn't insist on after finishing the speech following them up by doing a few hundred pull ups and push ups on the stage before going off to see this "Doctor" thing.
And people wonder where FDR got his brass tubas? (^^^)

McPherson

Banned
It seems you disagree.

I don't buy for a second that the US Navy would have put Truman on board a submarine and dived with it unless it was very, very sure that it would all go right—To put things simply, that the submarine was not a death trap. Reason: The fallout of an accident with U-2513 that led to President Truman's death would have killed the GUPPY project's funding then and there.

The Type XXI was not a death trap. Any cursory glance at the class's history would explain as much.
Ahm, go visit one and we'll compare notes. Remember I mentioned how the battery was maintained?

And people wonder where FDR got his brass tubas? (^^^)

Everyone thinks that FDR was confined to a wheel chair/couldn't walk because of Polio. In reality his cojones were simply too large for any set of human legs to be able to carry. He originally used a wheel barrow before deciding a wheel chair was more "Presidential".

Ahm, go visit one and we'll compare notes. Remember I mentioned how the battery was maintained?
If it was as bad as you claim, it would not have been operated for decades after the war. Clearly, the various navies of the USSR, USA, West Germany, and France disagree with your assessment. With regards to the Type XXI, I'll take the word of several professional navies over that of a single purported historian, every time.

Last edited:
U-2513 was USN scrapped in 1951. U-3008 was USN auctioned and scrapped in 1955. US GUPPY conversions are still serving.

Long overdue for replacement, but still safer than an Oscar.
The French navy continued to use a Type XXI until 1967. Clearly, they disagree with your assessment. Your only qualification on this subject is having taken a tour of a Type XXI. The credentials of the navies who actually operated the things clearly are more qualified to judge the subs than you.