What should cars be called?

What would you rename cars as?

  • Cars

    Votes: 61 64.9%
  • Oilcarts

    Votes: 10 10.6%
  • Driveriders

    Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Roadrovers

    Votes: 11 11.7%
  • Four-wheelers

    Votes: 9 9.6%

  • Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Motor is a great alternative. Actually is used OTL in some cases. Engine works too, probably initially being called "road engines" to distinguish from "tank engines".

Motorcoach/motorwagon as an alternative to 'automobile' would be interesting.

Like others have said, wagon is already used in other languages for cars.

Another idea: the Ford :D

*Edit* saw Lemonflavored had the same idea!

I see you ignored where I posited it first :mad:.
Or if you want an easier thing than "car" how about simply the letter "C" as in.

"Here in my C"

"I go driving in my C"
Or if you want an easier thing than "car" how about simply the letter "C" as in.

"Here in my C"

"I go driving in my C"

That wouldn't work for the simple reason that there are way too many words beginning with "C". You'd need a second letter in the abbreviation. Note that we say "TV" for television and not just "T".
TBH, I'd stick with car, but if we can expand beyond the list, autocar and automobile are also good; Amiese's idea is also an interesting one to consider.

Edit: Actually, while we're at it, For Want of a Nail's "locomobile" might actually work pretty well, too.
How about acronyms like:
CEVs - Combustion Engine Vehicles or
MoVes - Motor Vehicles (Which will likely get corrupted into movies over time.)



I have no idea why, but if we're going to have the trouble changing "car" it has to be into something significant...
My vote would be for motor. Until very recently,as mentioned in previous posts, it was used as often as car,certainly in parts of England. Although it was pronounced as mo'ah.
What about shortening that to "wag"?

Could get confused with

wives and girlfriends

The term was first used by the British tabloid press to refer to the wives and girlfriends of high-profile footballers, originally the England national football team. It came into common use during the 2006 FIFA World Cup, although the term had been used occasionally before that. The acronym has since been used by the media in other countries to describe the female partners of sportsperson in general.