What post-Rome setting would be a good focus for a show like house of cards?

Byzantium

The nation from whom the word “byzantine” derives is definitely the best option here—their long, long history of intrigue and cutthroat politics is fascinating and IMO pretty gripping at times.

A TV show about Byzantium is long overdue.

Second place would probably go to the merchant republics, yeah, or even possibly a Muslim state.

I think you could do something interesting with the Dutch republic. Focus for example on William III rise of power, or perhaps his dad Willem II. he powerstruggle between Maurits and Johan van Oldenbarbeveld would work. Or maybe the fat Duke in the early days of Willem V.

Personaly I would say that William III would work best as the Urquhart.

Definitely the Byzantine Empire. While most people who have read at least a school history textbook are aware that it existed, their interest in such a topic feels like it's in need of some spurring.
Other good contenders could be, imo, the Crusaders, the Mongols, and the Habsburgs.

There’s already an excellent show like that: The Borgias

(Too bad it got cancelled, but maybe not, as Season 4 was going to be dreadful and personally I think I had closure with Season 3)

The Wars of the Three Kingdoms (Of England.) and the Commonwealth of England.

War of 1812 America.

Freach Revolution going into the Napoleonic Wars.

Time of Troubles Russia.

World War 1/1920s-30s Japan.

Revolution (2021)
An Amazon Prime production.

Season 1 begins with the convening of the Estates General and ends with the October Days. Season 2 begins with Louis XVI being made "King of the French" and ends with the Massacre of the Champs du Mars. Season 3 begins with Declaration of Pillnitz and ends with the vote to abolish the Monarchy. Season 4 begins with the Battle of Jemappes and ends with the murder of Marat. Season 5 begins with the appointment of Robespierre to the Committee of Public Safety and ends with his execution. Season 6 begins with the Alliance of St. Petersburg and ends with the appointment of Napoleon to command France's armies. Season 7 begins with his campaigns in Italy and ends with the 18-19 Bruimaire Coup, also the series finale.

Garetor

Gone Fishin'
There’s already an excellent show like that: The Borgias

(Too bad it got cancelled, but maybe not, as Season 4 was going to be dreadful and personally I think I had closure with Season 3)

Borgia is a far superior version of the same show, one more historically accurate and that takes the story to it's conclusion in Navarre with Cesare's death.

Borgia is a far superior version of the same show, one more historically accurate and that takes the story to it's conclusion in Navarre with Cesare's death.
Agree to disagree. I can’t stand their acting and I actually like that The Borgias humanizes to a certain extent the title family.

I’d like to see somebody do something with Maurice Druon’s Accursed Kings novels. Sex and violence and dynastic plots against the backdrop of France on the eve of the Hundred Years War.