What Nazi Germany would consider doing to Brazil?

Brazil had painfull loses in WWII, a few thousand in sunken ships and about 400 in direct combat, but this damage was mathematically "negligible" compared to what other countries suffered. In fact Italy, the country where Brazil Brazil fought suffered so much due the brutality of the Nazi occupation and the allied bombing that it is described as a victim and not a perpetrator of the war in some cases.

In Brazil there is an active wehraboo keyboard warriors community and they tend to praise the axis and claim that Brazil was poorly treated by the allies in WWII (it was not).

This made me wonder something, as the Nazis didn't have contact with Brazil during the war and they lost every single combat with the Brazilians in combat, so let's say that the Nazis had some power projection and could hit Brazil, what they would do?

To prevent this from being a Vlad tepes or mass death scenario, let's talk about this in "what if therms" all right? Like, Nazi Germany bombed Dublin, a neutral city and also went rampant in attacking Brazilian convoys (another neutral country), so would they have any qualms about bombing Brazilian cities or would they consider launching a war of extermination like they did in the Soviet front, or they would instead do a more conventional one like in 1940 France? Would they consider seizing the Brazilian grain like they did in Greece?

If they did hit Brazil it would be a raid, not a full on battle. To be honest, the number of Germans in the country could lead to positive relations between a dictator like Vargas. Maybe a more successful Integralist movement could be in the works were the Germans to win.

The cost of invading Brazil would be astronomical even if they just planned to force quick terms and leave. The kind of navy and logistics involved, combined with the need for dealing with the heat and tropical disease, the likelihood the rest of Latin America would think they are next and join in.

Assuming the US basically imploded into a never ending civil war and cannot get involved to make this somehow possible.

Germany has more living room than it can use in Europe and acquiring it was very costly. If it wanted more and wanted it in tropical or subtropical regions on a different continent, why not buy or steal an African colony instead of crossing the Atlantic to fight a country of 50 million and probably all of their neighbors?

What can Germany go for in Brazil that it either doesn’t have or can’t get at far lower costs through trade.

If they did hit Brazil it would be a raid, not a full on battle. To be honest, the number of Germans in the country could lead to positive relations between a dictator like Vargas. Maybe a more successful Integralist movement could be in the works were the Germans to win.
The cost of invading Brazil would be astronomical even if they just planned to force quick terms and leave. The kind of navy and logistics involved, combined with the need for dealing with the heat and tropical disease, the likelihood the rest of Latin America would think they are next and join in.

Assuming the US basically imploded into a never ending civil war and cannot get involved to make this somehow possible.

Germany has more living room than it can use in Europe and acquiring it was very costly. If it wanted more and wanted it in tropical or subtropical regions on a different continent, why not buy or steal an African colony instead of crossing the Atlantic to fight a country of 50 million and probably all of their neighbors?

What can Germany go for in Brazil that it either doesn’t have or can’t get at far lower costs through trade.
No, this is not an alternative history scenario, but a discussion about their mindset

Like, Nazi Germany couldn't strike into Brazil as you both said, instead the objective of this thread is to speculate about what they would do if they could, assuming both countries are at war

No, this is not an alternative history scenario, but a discussion about their mindset

Like, Nazi Germany couldn't strike into Brazil as you both said, instead the objective of this thread is to speculate about what they would do if they could, assuming both countries are at war
Firebomb Salvador.
Erase the city of mutts from memory, recolonize the area with pomeranians.
what do you mean there´s a caste hierarchy there in all but name....wait these Magalhães fellows might have a good idea or two...

Ww2 fascist Italy was not a victim in any sense of the world ,considering they went above and beyond in committing atrocities in Yugoslavia Greece and Ethiopia not to mention their ACTIVE participation on the side of axis

Italian people maybe to a certain extent but one also feels sorry for the civilians who died in bombings of Germany and japan

Ww2 fascist Italy was not a victim in any sense of the world ,considering they went above and beyond in committing atrocities in Yugoslavia Greece and Ethiopia not to mention their ACTIVE participation on the side of axis

Italian people maybe to a certain extent but one also feels sorry for the civilians who died in bombings of Germany and japan
Technically, Italy switched sides mid-war, up to declaring war to Germany. There were actually Italian forces on the side of the Allies, mostly Resistance but some regulars too. Italy also endured a brutal occupation. However, occupied Italy had a collaborator Fascist goverment under Mussolini claiming continuity with the earlier Fascist regime. You can describe this phase of the war as an Italian civil war among other things. Of course, the above detracts nothing of the very evident fact that Fascist Italy entered the war as an unambiguous, opportunistic aggressor.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Firebomb Salvador.
Erase the city of mutts from memory, recolonize the area with pomeranians.
what do you mean there´s a caste hierarchy there in all but name....wait these Magalhães fellows might have a good idea or two...
Are you serious?

Honest question. One you need to answer.

If Germany had that kind of power projection, they'd be aiming it at America itself or the Panama Canal. Or intercepting shipping coming from Latin America. Not attacking Brazil.

You should explain the satire - especially since this is CalBear's way of asking you to clarify to avoid a kick or worse.
i sincerely thank you for your best intentions, but your post really reminds me of a teacher´s pet echoing the teacher, and i am too old for that.

Okay.

He might know, but some of the other, oh, 5,000 active members here may not.
i mean yes but you´re the authority asking for clarification, not the masses, and...i clearly remember replying to you in the latin politics thread about my dislike for nazis
is the mod account run by more than one person, per chance

He was probably notified of the post via a report, which comes from the masses.
Fair, fair, i´ll indulge you.
As a clarification: the post is a play on the perception of brazil as a racial democracy, one that was attepted to be sold over the last century.
yes, there are masses of black and mixed race folks in salvador, a majority even, but they´re most definitely poor in it´s vast majority, and barred by various unspoken and unwritten rules from white society.

black people weren´t allowed to be part of the carnaval celebrations in salvador unless they played instruments or helped push the decorated carts.

Last edited:

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
i mean yes but you´re the authority asking for clarification, not the masses, and...i clearly remember replying to you in the latin politics thread about my dislike for nazis
is the mod account run by more than one person, per chance
You may remember that reply, even the entire conversation. However, if I was in Mod mode, I really try very hard not to remember (which is fairly difficult for me, I remember my 7th grade girlfriend's phone number and I haven't laid eyes on her is over 45 years) any encounters that do not result in actions.

I came into the thread in response to a report. I wanted to get clarification rather than act on the plain reading of the post. I believe that was the correct course since the alternative would have been formal administrative actions.
He was probably notified of the post via a report, which comes from the masses.
⬆️⬆️⬆️What he said⬆️⬆️⬆️

I really try very hard not to remember (which is fairly difficult for me, I remember my 7th grade girlfriend's phone number and I haven't laid eyes on her is over 45 years) any encounters that do not result in actions.
uhh...okay dude.
the clarification is above.