While this is only a taste of things to come, this certainly makes this another good update.

Seeing these Irish fight against the RU, perhaps British-RU relaxations becomes closer? It’ll be interesting to see RU support a Great British Republic of the British Isles and Ireland.

Also... my God. Those Quakers being forced to suffer for their pacifism. I wonder if they’ll become more aggressive because of this. Could happen.

While this is only a taste of things to come, this certainly makes this another good update.

Seeing these Irish fight against the RU, perhaps British-RU relaxations becomes closer? It’ll be interesting to see RU support a Great British Republic of the British Isles and Ireland.

Also... my God. Those Quakers being forced to suffer for their pacifism. I wonder if they’ll become more aggressive because of this. Could happen.
Weaponized Quakers? Isn't that how you get Robo-Nixon?

Weaponized Quakers? Isn't that how you get Robo-Nixon?

giant_cyborg_richard_nixon__futurama__by_dlee1293847-d9kru27.png

If all the blacks in the south weren't AFC zealots before, they likely are now.

Oh God, regarding the quakers... Richard Nixon came from a Quaker family. Perhaps part of his story arc is that his ancestor remained in the RU but saw what the south did to his compatriots, then became an AFC convert and ardent Patriot-fascist. That passes down to young Dick just as Joe Steele takes power.

I wonder if there are a few brave souls on either side that discourage such atrocities. Robert E. Lee is the only one that comes to mind

What's hilarious is I actually totally am setting up the Nixon backstory by mentioning the Quakers now. lol You got that right.

I jsut got an idea that would make even the national union balk let have them revoke free black rights across the south basically making them open season for hunting

Freedmen could have interesting fates indeed.

This feels far too large for an independent Ireland. There’s a few reasons why the Famine of 1840s was so destructive, but the main two were restriction of land ownership and a focus on cash crops.

The reason we were so dependent on the potatoe in the 19th century was because almost all the good arable was owned by English landlord and geared toward cast crops like corn and flax, while the majority of Irish were afforded plots so small that they could only grow spuds. I would have expected so land reform after independence and thus farmers having more land, even if the wealthy still control a lot of it. Being independent of Britain would also mean that Ireland could close the ports and keep desperately needed foodstuff from being exported like they had during previous famines.

To be helpful and constructive, I’d suggest replacing the Blight with a harsh winter, poor harvests, and an economic depression. Less death but still a strong motivating forces to immigrate

I actually was aware of the OTL causes of the Famine, making this one more different but reminiscent of it. But you have an actually very good point on the casualties; I felt they were too high as well, especially when the Empire could ship resources in as aid.

I think I'll change it to the "Great Blight" where there's some sort of just absolutely pisspoor harvest of everything in general in Europe, which could make Egypt a more important farming resource along the Nile and would cause mass migration to the New World and enlistment in exchange for citizenship.

CHAPTER 34

CHAPTER 34
FOREIGN INVOLVEMENT

1200px-Ernst_Zimmer_-_Das_Lauenburgische_J%C3%A4ger-Bataillon_Nr._9_bei_Gravelotte.jpg

Nordreicher Brigades fought for the Union to gain valuable combat experience

The Great American War was in full swing in the spring of 1859. Men and boys from all over the continent were rallying to fight for their nations. But it was not only the citizens of North America who were interested in this epic conflict. Rather, all the major powers had some degree of involvement with the war, and many thousands of foreigners came to American soil to fight in volunteer brigades. They had many different reasons and spoke many different languages, but they all answered the call to arms.

One of the largest groups of foreigners who saw direct involvement in the conflict were the thousands of Irishmen who sailed across the seas during the Great Harvest Blight of 1855 to 1865. This Blight, a combination of brutal winters, early frosts, and a massive explosion of insect populations, decimated the crops of Europe, but it was Ireland who saw the worst of it, losing an estimated 800,000 citizens to starvation and disease brought on by the Blight. Despite an attempt by Caesar to deal with the massive food shortages, the conquest of the Middle East had his hands tied. Egypt, however, did come to the rescue a bit, providing excellent crops to help stopper the problem.

At any rate, huge ships loaded with eager and hungry souls landed in Georgia, Virginia, and Texas to fight the anti-Catholic Yankee armies. Many saw it as a holy war and the Republican Union as antichrists, a view which the Yankees ironically held about them in turn. One of the most famous Irish commanders of the war was Thomas Cleburne, a mercenary of wide renown who had seen action in the French Foreign Legion during the Conquest of Egypt. With a small personal fortune, he gathered some of his old chums in starving Ireland and left to win blood and glory in the Great American War. He formed the 1st Florida Irish Brigade in the Republic of Georgia. It would go on to become one of the most infamous units of the entire war. During the slave revolts that swept the south in the summer of 1859, it was the 1st Florida that was called up to crush the revolt behind the lines. Utterly ruthless, Cleburne became known as "General Bloodbeard" due to his red hair and his penchant for the wholesale massacre of rebelling slaves. When his men would finally fight the true enemy firsthand, during the South Carolina Campaign of the summer of 1859, they were known for their almost barbaric ferocity in combat, becoming known as "Bloodbeard's Barbarians." Flying a green flag with an Irish Harp emblazoned on it, the mere rumor of the 1st Florida being in the area was enough to unsettle the bravest Carolinian.

yHgHN9D.jpg

General Cleburne leads the 1st Florida Irish Brigade into battle against rebelling slaves in Peachtree, Georgia

Cleburne and the 1st Florida were hardly the only Irish units of the war, however, with several dozen more brigades in on the action. Patrick O'Rourke, a wealthy minor Irish noble seeking fame and a respite from the horrors of the Blight and the failure of his crops, mustered up the Columbiana Irish Miltia, which saw action at almost all the most brutal battles of the East Coast. They had lost 60 percent of their original members just by the spring of 1859, but also were responsible for holding the line against Lincoln's Hammer and were mowed down like grass at Port Royal and Manassas. Heroes to Virginians everywhere, these Catholic warriors could expect little mercy from the anti-Papal American fascists, with many simply being executed to save room in the prison camps.

bullrunbravest.jpg

The Columbiana Irish Militia taking heavy fire from Union troops during the Battle of Manassas

Oh, not now for songs of a nation’s wrongs,
not the groans of starving labor;
Let the rifle ring and the bullet sing
to the clash of the flashing sabre!
There are Irish ranks on the tented banks
of Columbiana’s guarded ocean;
And an iron clank from flank to flank
tells of armed men in motion.

And frank souls there clear true and bare
To all, as the steel beside them,
Can love or hate withe the strength of Fate,
Till the grave of the valiant hide them.
Each seems to be mailed Ard Righ,
whose sword’s avenging glory
Must light the fight and smite for Right,
Like Brian’s in olden story!

With pale affright and panic flight
Shall dastard Yankees base and hollow,
Hear a Celtic race, from their battle place,
Charge to the shout of “Faugh-a-ballaugh!”
By the sould above, by the land we love
Her tears bleeding patience
The sledge is wrought that shall smash to naught
The brazen liar of nations.

The Irish green shall again be seen
as our Irish fathers bore it,
A burning wind from the South behind,
and the Yankee rout before it!
O'Rourke's red hand shall purge the land-
Rain a fire on men and cattle,
Till the Lincoln snakes in their own cold lakes
Plunge from the blaze of battle.

-Song of the Columbiana Irish Militia

When the war went hot again in the spring of 1859, Abner Doubleday, Legate General of Legion VII, was relieved of command of Legion VII in occupied Louisville and was replaced by Legate General William Selkirk, a Scottish native who had seen heavy action against Native Americans and was known for his much more aggressive outlook. This supposedly was because of Legate General Sherman, still laying siege to a starving but thawing Richmond, Kentucky, had accused Doubleday of showing too much timidity and a lack of "daring do" to Lincoln. Lincoln did, however, admire Doubleday's performance running his prison camps, and as such placed him in command of prison camps in the nation, thereby becoming the first Union Secretary of Order and also thereby becoming head of RUMP. RUMP during the war was mostly old men too aged to fight on the front lines or young underage boys with quick tempers. There was roughly a 50/50 chance of being executed in the "Doubleday Hotels" and these camps saw some of the greatest atrocities of the war.

These stories may make the Union, hellbent for revenge and decimation, sound like the true villains of the war, and that may be. However, there were many atrocities committed by both sides and the South was by no means an alliance built on human dignity and respect for others. To the contrary, one of the only units that would give Shicagwa's Legion X a run for its money was the Bourbon Brigade of Georgia, stationed out of New Orleans. This unit was founded and led by the former aristocracy of Bourbon Spain that Napoleon I had overthrown so many years before. It was led by Alfonso XII, son of Isabella II, the current head of the outlawed House of Bourbon and pretender to the throne of independent Spain, and he was thereby grandson of Ferdinand VII, last King of Spain. Since the banning of the slave trade on the world stage by Caesar, the Bourbons had seen their personal finances drain, as their large personal fleet of slavers stationed out of New Orleans had kept the South supplied for years. It is thought by some historians that in return for his services and money, Georgia promised to back a campaign by the Bourbons to seize Mexico and create "The Kingdom of Spain-in-Exile." Thus, through the long winter of 1858-59, Alfonso was marshaling "every brigand and reprobate he could find in the gutters and overflowing prisons of New Orleans." Some called his forces the "Pirate Army," because many of the troops were in fact former pirates and sea rovers. These buccaneers immediately were called upon in the spring, 15,000 strong, to crush a slave revolt along the Mississippi. This they did with startling efficiency. They rounded up and executed the leadership of the rebellion. Then they whipped the surviving supporters senseless while marching them back to New Orleans and throwing them in "Hotel Bourbon," the oldest and largest prison in the city, formerly known as "St. Laurens Penitentiary" before Alfonso was put in charge. Even after the fall of New Orleans, Alfonso would reliably helm the efforts of Georgia to handle prisoners of war and escaped slaves.

372px-King_Alfonso_XII.jpg

Prince Alfonso XII

This in turn outraged a group of religious exiles from the Union, the Quakers, who had emigrated en masse from the Union to avoid the perils of the British Invasion during the War of 1812. The Quakers now owned some very profitable farms and businesses in Georgia and Virginia, and the treatment of the slaves at the hand of a government that supposedly stood for respect and freedom outraged many. Now they announced they were forming their own neutral community and that they would no longer produce grains and crops for the government. This, needless to say, did not sit well with the Georgian government and the Bourbon Brigade deployed and arrested the Quakers in droves. They were sent to prison camps in Florida, where many of them were starved and worked to death. The Bourbon Family was then granted ownership of their property in exchange for total production for the war effort. This whole matter became known as the "Trail of Tears," as the Quakers, already maligned in their old home country, were forced to march by the thousands to Florida and their deaths. Even though the Union did not exactly love Quakers and had urged them to leave, they had in actuality long-respected them for their pacifism, while finding it also incompatible with American life. This genocide of the Quakers fed the Union propaganda campaign that Georgia was a "pack of vicious and feral ogres, lapping up the pools of blood from harmless farmers." It also cemented the House of Bourbon as a staple of the Old South.

Another man who wind find infamy under the Georgian flag was Swiss-born mercenary Heinrich Wirz, known as the "Beast of New Orleans." Formerly a soldier under many different European flags and frustrated he could not find action, he quickly sailed to America upon the outbreak of war and signed up for service in the Bourbon Brigade. He attained the rank of captain before long, leading several expeditions against advancing Union scouts and rebelling slaves, and then he was placed in charge of Hotel Bourbon in New Orleans, effectively becoming Alfonso's right hand and the true perpetrator of the war crimes that took place there. When the fall of New Orleans came in late 1859, he was captured for a time by the Yankees before making a daring escape during a nighttime raid by Georgian guerrillas. He then fled the city and formed Wirz's Raiders, a group of terrorists and brigands roaming the countryside killing blacks in their beds and hanging Union sympathizers and Quakers. Wirz was well known for his quote, "Give me your enemies, and I will destroy them. If I run out of enemies, I'll kill Quakers. If I run out of Quakers to kill, I kill a nigger. If I run out of niggers, I'll kill your damn dog. I am a bad man. I'm just lucky I'm really quite good at being bad." While this quote may be spurious, if it is real it shows Wirz to be an absolute psychopath and hardened murderer. His infamy would spread far and wide, and he would become one of the most famous terrorists of all time.

Wirz-stamping.jpg

220px-Henry_Wirz_01_11.jpg

Heinrich Wirz
Meanwhile, on the Union side there were also thousands of expatriates flocking to the colors. Most of them were Nordreichers and Scotch and English, with some Norwegians as well coming to pay their dues for the Union's assistance in the Norwegian War for Independence. Some of these groups fought for religious regions, being staunch Protestants or AFC converts, but still others were sent over for valuable combat experience. The Nordreich in particular sent some 25,000 troops in to fight or observe over the course of the war, collecting intelligence and tactics. These Nordreicher units also sometimes were sent to the Confederation of the Carolinas to assist in their war effort. The Kaiser saw the war as a chance to screw over friends (or at least former friends) of the Empire, and thus sided with the genetically related Yankees. Though it was not an official alliance, the Nordreich Navy did in fact sell numerous ships to the Union Navy at extremely low cost. Three Prussian-made ironclad warships were present in the final assault on New Orleans in September.

But before that final assault on New Orleans could be made in the fall, the spring and summer bloodshed would rage on, bringing unparalleled destruction and devastation. Texas and the Carolinas entered the fray and opened up entire new battlefields. Little did Georgia realize that the entire time they thought they were fending off the Union thrust down the Mississippi River they actually had been encircling them by sea, invading Cuba during the winter and early spring of 1859 and using it as a launch pad from which to cut off Georgia from its Caribbean colonies. Jamaica would fall next, and then the final push for New Orleans could be made...

Last edited:
Flying a green flag with an Irish Harp emblazoned on it, the mere rumor of the 1st Florida being in the area was enough to unsettle the bravest Carolinian.
Dear God this fits the Irish so well--forward brave Georgians! Keep the harp of Erin flying high and free from Anglo-Saxon oppression!
though the Union version is an objectively better song...

Flying a green flag with an Irish Harp emblazoned on it, the mere rumor of the 1st Florida being in the area was enough to unsettle the bravest Carolinian.

Listen here you Carolinian bastards! This here is our country, and no potato gobbling, Virginia-loving, Mick SOB's are going to beat us in our country! Now go out and raise hell!

AeroTheZealousOne

Monthly Donor
Dear God. Two incomparable evils fighting another, and perhaps such a conflict will surface in the future and bring the world down when they both inevitably crumble. And the Irish, whom I normally look up upon for weathering British occupation for centuries, do not appear immune to the Madness. It's like the Troubles, but with less bombs, more widespread, and an utter mess.

Wonderful work, Napoleon. Keep up this dark world we are slowly coming to know all too well...

so evidence of the madness spreading to even the victims of the previous version, like the famous mr.burns said "excellent". I could see the Quakers developing a nationalist movement and that movement gets hijack by radicals and it all goes downhill from there. whats your plans for skewing with the middle east?

CHAPTER 35
The next chapter will be a revised Custer Origins and the other will be decanonized. I was so excited to write about him that I wanted to describe him up until before he entered politics, but the war has taken a different path from my initial ideas in that chapter. The new one will be mostly the same but will include a modified history of his battles during the Great North American War.

CHAPTER 35
BLOODY, BLOODY '59

8-franco-prussian-war-1870-granger.jpg

Union troops emerge from their trench under heavy fire along the Blue Ridge Front
When the snows cleared, Texas entered the war on behalf of Georgia. The backwater Democratic Republic was still dominantly Hispanic, but the upper class had become increasingly white and Georgian born, so it was so no surprise that they came to Georgia's aid. The tiny Texas Navy sailed to the New Orleans to bolster defenses there, unloading some 20,000 troops and several hundred tons of ammunition and supplies to hopefully outlast a Yankee siege. Try as they might, Georgia could not gain the offensive, instead faithfully holding their lines but failing at every advance. Slowly, steadily, the ironclad ships of the Republican Union Navy came down the mighty Mississippi, and with them came hordes of troops on each bank. The Georgian general staff was surprised at the slow pace of the assault and determined that the Yankees might be more bluster than they let on and assured Prime Minister Towns that New Orleans was prepared for any eventuality. This was a sore mistake, as they would soon find out.

During the brutal, ferocious winter of 1858-59, the opposing sides seemed to follow an old-school European style winter truce as a gentleman's agreement. Navy Group I, out of Port Halifax, harassed the coast of Virginia and Georgia, but that was about the extent. This was actually a ruse, however, allowing the Union Navy Group II out of Boston to sweep into the Caribbean as silently as possible and shock the independent Republic of Cuba with a huge overnight invasion on January 18, 1859, assaulting Havana within the day and cutting all communications off from the island. The Republic of Cuba was caught so off guard that almost half the Cuban Army was captured or executed in their sleep. The anti-Catholic Union Army was under orders to not desecrate or burn Catholic institutions while the war was on, and the occupation was very polite and businesslike. Slavery was finally abolished forever in Cuba. However, resistance fighters were promptly executed, no quarter given. By late February, running on a strict timetable, an invasion of Jamaica was also underway, with no small help from the black revolutionaries there who were paid off to open their ports and gates to the Union Navy. Now, Georgians woke up in March with Cuba and Jamaica under Union occupation and looming just off their coast. Lincoln's Anvil was revealed, and he was determined to batter the South senseless between the Hammer and Anvil.

The Confederation of the Carolinas, meanwhile, were coming to fulfill the terms of the Union-Confederation Non-Aggression Pact. Overnight on March 28, the Confederation lashed out at both Virginia and the Carolinas. Declaring a "separate" war on Virginia and Georgia so as to not be seen as direct Union allies, the Great Southron War (as Chancellor James Polk was calling it) was underway. Polk had several very clear objectives to achieve victory: retake West Carolina ("Boone"), hold of Georgia until the Union could beat them into a corner, and humiliate Virginia in any way possible. Later, as the first offensives were going great, Polk would start grand plans of a potential "Confederacy of the South," with a post-War Georgia and Virginia in ruins and gladly accepting Carolinian occupation rather than Yankee.

csm_stormen_paa_dybboel_ny_stine_Cropped_clio_knap_42f895b4cb.jpg

Virginian militiamen flee before advancing Carolinian troops near Norfolk
The first thing the Confederation did in their stunning surprise attack on Virginia was to immediately slug their way toward Norfolk and Newport News, the Virginian industrial heartland. In a shocking repeat of the Cuba War, Norfolk was burned to the ground as quickly as possible and Newport News constantly bombarded with Union supplied heavy artillery. As Potentate Early raged over "Carolinian backstabbery" and struggled to get his forces into position to fight in both North and South, another Carolinian army, under Wade Hampton III, was on the offensive into Boone. The Virginians had built fortifications after the Cuba War, but these were know decrepit and many were unmanned, their garrisons fighting against Legate Generals Sherman and Selkirk in Kentucky. This provided a virtual field day for the Confederation troops, as they quickly overran everything in sight with minimal casualties. Almost all the enemies they faced were just simple militia, some of whom were of dubious loyalty to Virginia. For decades, many Boone citizens had still considered themselves West Carolinians and adored Andrew Jackson and the "Ol' Moon and Stars," and this heritage ran deep. Thousands of Boonesians rallied around Hampton III's invading army and called for the restoration of Confederation rule. A civil war broke out, with neighbor turning against neighbor and father against son. But by mid-Summer, most of Boone had been captured, restoring West Carolina and bringing meaning back to the Western Star on the Carolinian flag. This was the breakthrough the Union had been waiting for. Now they steamrolled over the Mississippi coastline of West Carolina before handing it over to the Confederation, restoring their port on the river. Polk was elated.

This breakthrough in early August crushed both Virginian and Carolinian morale, with the Georgian defenders along the Mississippi breaking and falling back to Fort Davis, Mississippi, and New Orleans. This worried Georgia, who feared Fort Davis would crumble and New Orleans would be lost. Georgian General Manfred Abbey Jones was basing his plans off captured intelligence and rallied all the forces he could to defend Fort Davis from a coming assault by Legion IX, out of Lewis City, Osage. Legate General Thomas McCray was in command of Legion IX and desperately wanted to launch a full assault on Fort Davis, one of the most defensible locations in the South. However, he dug in smartly to wait it out. If he launched an assault on the city and it failed, then it could open up the Union rear to a massive attack from behind, potentially jeopardizing the attack on New Orleans. So instead, he simply dug in and was determined to keep General Jones busy.

This was bad, very very bad for Georgia. Meanwhile, in the north, Sherman took complete control of Kentucky. The South was crumbling. Sherman announced a plan of "Barrage and Burn" and decreed that any cities which did not submit to Union rule would receive brutal retaliation and the burning of everything they held dear. He was very serious, too, and he lit several Kentucky locales ablaze for attempted insurrection and so thoroughly destroyed the towns that no one ever even attempted to rebuild them. They were forever lost to history.

Next, Legion X, shortly to become one of the most infamous units of the Union Army, arrived on the outskirts of the greater New Orleans region and found themselves facing unbelievable opposition from not just the Georgian and Texan troops there but also from local citizens determined to not let the control of the Mississippi pass entirely into Yankee hands. In response, Legion X, under Legate General George McClellan, began bloody assaults on nearby villages, burning Catholic churches and torching plantation houses. The local slaves, beat bloody by the Bourbon Brigade, stood up once more and welcomed the Union army in jubilation. McClellan announced that all the slaves were now free and could stand up to their former masters and take up arms. Thousands joined "McClellan's Volunteer Brigade" and eagerly looked forward to the final destruction of New Orleans. This in short time became the Free Negro Army of the Union.

As could be imagined, this did not sit well with the rest of the South, or the Confederation of the Carolinas. The war-torn nations were now just barely containing a full black revolution. The Confederation had just barely recaptured West Carolina in time before rioting and slave insurrections had begun. This frustrated Polk immensely, who desired to unify Athens, Georgia and possibly southern Columbiana under his country's rule. Newport News and Norfolk flew the Moon and Stars, but back home slaves were flying the flag of the AFC Church and taking up arms "in the name of Jehovah and President Lincoln." The Union assured the Confederation that they were by no means backing this rebellion, but suspicions remained high.

It was at this time, around early September that a freed slave from Maryland known as the Reverend Aaron Burr Douglass had descended from the north with an AFC Bible in one hand and a rifle in the other. Riding a fast black horse, he galloped across the countryside of Virginia proclaiming "The Emancipation has come! Negro men of Virginia stand up, stand up you free men!" As he went from town to town, he became known as the black Paul Revere. Following in his wake was Lincoln's Hammer, having finally broken through Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia and now steamrolling toward Richmond at a steady pace, ravaging the countryside as they went. This breakthrough had been achieved by Field Marshal Jenkins meeting up with Legate General Sherman. Sherman had left some men behind to guard what was left of Kentucky and then crossed into Columbiana to hit Lee from behind, breaking the stalemate there. An initial successful hold at Charlottesville made Lee confident he could withstand the sneak attack, but soon his men were just growing too exhausted to fight facing both north and south. Making matters worth, Virginian General Tad Wilson and his entire force of some 10,000 reinforcements were slaughtered in the east at Tappahanock. With Potentate Early fearing a total sacking of Richmond was nigh, Lee received orders to fall back and regroup in Richmond.

220px-Motto_frederick_douglass_2.jpg

Reverend Aaron Burr Douglass

When Lee arrived in Richmond he found a total scene of mayhem and disorder. The slaves there had been told that the Union was coming to free them and they had revolted against the government, taking up arms and overthrowing the Virginian House of Burgesses. The Second Slave Insurrection was underway. President Early was nowhere to be found. This stunning turn of events forced Lee to make a decision. He had to decide whether to crush this black insurrection, which would almost certainly stall him enough for Jenkins and Sherman to hit from the rear, or he could take what forces and supplies were left in the city and retreat to Petersburg to make a last stand. If he could hold out till winter and after the fall of New Orleans (which would consume a massive amount of Union resources), he might be able to sue for peace and maybe retain Columbiana and perhaps Westsylvania. He could assume power as Potentate and abolish slavery once and for all (Lee was a lifelong anti-slavery figure anyway, though he mostly kept his thoughts to himself out of respect for his nation). This might be enough for the Union to agree to terms. He also had to worry about the Confederation coming up from the south, although he was unaware the slave revolt had spread to their nation as well. He decided to fall back to Petersburg. His army, now about 150,000 strong still, might be able to make a go of it, and for once Lee found himself praying profusely for a harsh winter.

maxresdefault.jpg

The Army of Northern Virginia on the retreat to Petersburg

Fort%20Donelson%20Hero_0.jpg

Sherman's men charge the rear of Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia

At last, September 20, 1859, arrived. It was a sunny morning when the Sack of New Orleans began. Yankee ships fresh from the Caribbean slammed into the port, finally eliminating the Georgian and Texan ships there once and for all. The Union Marines came storming into town, slaughtering every Southron soldier they could find. Up north, General McClellan was coming with Legion X. After the most intense artillery shelling of the war, the Battle of New Orleans was truly underway. The defenders of the city knew within an hour that defeat was certain. As Prince Alfonso fled the city through the last available escape route to the east, Heinrich Wirz was fearful that the rebellious slave prisoners in his prison would take terrible revenge if released, so he systematically went through and killed every single prisoner in his cells. Over 4,000 black men and women were massacred, shot down from behind iron doors. As Wirz was fleeing the city himself that night, he was captured by a Union platoon and thrown into a pen with other Georgian officers. All around him, he saw New Orleans falling apart. Houses lay smoldering. Bodies, both soldier and civilian, charred and bloody, strewn as far as the eye could see. It was like the Apocalypse had come to New Orleans. In the distance he heard a Union band play "We Are Coming Father Abraham." Union troops were blasting down statues of great Georgian citizens and burning the green-white-red flag of the Republic as they grew drunk of pilfered beer and whiskey. He knew, at last, the jig was up. It was at that moment when a massive Georgian counterattack began. It was midnight, September 21. The Georgian Army, now personally led by Prince Alfonso, was attacking from the east, while a surprisingly large force of Texans rode in from the southwest, sabers shining in the moonlight, hollering like demons. In the ensuing chaos, the drunk Union army was sent reeling, the Georgian prisoners were set free, and Wirz vanished into the night. The worst war criminal of the entire conflict was now free as a bird. He stole civilian clothes, shaved his beard, and blended in with the thousands of refugees fleeing the city.

1-2-184-25-ExplorePAHistory-a0a6o4-a_349.jpg

The Texans assault Union-held New Orleans

By morning, the counterattack had ground to a halt as McClellan regained control of his drunken troops. He personally led a flanking cavalry assault that slammed into Alfonso's men, who were forced to retreat. He also was now aware of Wirz's war crime at the Hotel Bourbon. The Legate General then gathered 4,000 prisoners of war at the docks of the city and ordered his men to press upon them with bayonets. The helpless prisoners, their hands tied, could not swim properly. Those who could managed to keep afloat were shot. Some were taken by the alligators for food. He announced that any further butchering of slaves would be met with an equal number of dead Southron POWs. The city watched with horror as the waters of New Orleans turned red with Georgian blood. Legion X had reached the next level of infamy. From now on, the names of McClellan and the Tenth Legion struck fear wherever they went. This horrific punishment for the massacre at the Hotel Bourbon emboldened slaves across Georgia to take up arms. The Second Slave Insurrection was now also well and truly underway there. Prime Minister Towns declared that any and every slave who rebelled would be killed on sight. He also ordered the executions of 20 captured Union officers, most notably Milo Miles II, son of the famous Reverend.

txunionists.jpg

Execution of the 20 outside Savannah, Georgia

This entire debacle was unheard of in modern history in its pure evil and genocidal frenzy since the bloodiest days of the Reign of Terror in France. The world was mortified by the horrors taking place in North America. But Robert E. Lee would find his prayers answered, and devastating early winter set in October. Richmond and New Orleans had fallen, but Petersburg held strong and Georgia was regrouping. The war would last another year, and 1860 would be no better than 1859. Heinrich Wirz would helm his "Riders of the Storm" terrorist brigade and strike fear into the heart of the Union, Robert E. Lee would lead a daring defense of Petersburg and attempt to sue for peace, Burnin' Sherman would strike again, a fallen Potentate Early would find himself asking for safe passage into the Confederation, and the world at large would be introduced to the legendary George Armstrong Custer....

Last edited:
If anyone wonder what direction Henry Wirz and the Riders of the Storm are going... Imagine it slowly becoming a group of masked barbarians, going town to town across Union territory butchering black people and abolitionists... Maybe, just maybe, one day being a terrorist group known simply as Stormfront.

Mississippi_ku_klux.jpg

black-voter-threatening.png

1200px-Hogan%27s_Flying_Column.gif

yMg7U.jpg

Georgians don't lose hope
We shall have justice, get the rope
Niggers, take a holiday
The South shall have its day
If for Union you decide
Your family will die
Killers on the road
Riders of the Storm

Yep, Wirz is this TL's Nathan Bedford Forrest. And somehow even Forrest seems like a kitten compared to this guy. This guy is going to be one of the most effed up characters in this TL.

Last edited:
Overnight on March 28, the Confederation lashed out at both Virginia and the Carolinas. Declaring a "separate" war on Virginia and Georgia

Cry havoc said He who fought chaos with chaos, and let slip the dogs of war! Our revenge on the Vriginian Imperialist-Aggressors is at hand!

Polk had several very clear objectives to achieve victory: retake West Carolina ("Boone")

HELL YEAH BROTHER! Let's take back what's rightfully ours! God Bless Ol'Caroline! JACKSON WILL BE AVENGED!

Later, as the first offensives were going great, Polk would start grand plans of a potential "Confederacy of the South," with a post-War Georgia and Virginia in ruins and gladly accepting Carolinian occupation rather than Yankee.

Surely our Southron brethren understand that our benevolent Christian rule is what they need! Carolina is the natural leader of the South, and anyone who denies it is a no-good foreigner who needs to learn some manners!

Oh I wish I was in the land of cotton!

In a shocking repeat of the Cuba War, Norfolk was burned to the ground as quickly as possible and Newport News constantly bombarded with Union supplied heavy artillery

Serves those Satan's spawn right! You mess with the Vulture, you get the talons!

carolina-png.190258