AeroTheZealousOne

Monthly Donor
The rage and anger felt by the Turks would simply fuel a never-ending fire of hatred that would never go out and would see the emergence of the radical Islamic Sons of Turkey movement at the Turn of the Century.
I shudder to imagine what one Mustafa Kemal Pasha might do in this group ITTL. I hope he's sane, but that's a bit much to ask for, isn't it?

Serbia is an unstable backwater
Serbia is always an unstable backwater in most timelines. Unless it's explicitly a Serbwank, which I have yet to see except maybe in 1990s cult music videos.

Excellent update, as always.

45872891481_474273428b_k.jpg

Did a rough finish of Imperolo's excellent map! I couldn't match the font perfectly but it will do for now until he finishes his! :)

I bet my boots we'll whip 'em out! 100 years later again Union voices would join in the chorus, "We are coming Uncle Joe, 300,000 more!"

45823504012_50aa9be22d_o.png

Tell me that's not perfect now. lol

Last edited:
CHAPTER 33
CHAPTER 33
LIFE UNDER LINCOLN

1018316866.jpg

We are coming, Father Abraham, 300,000 more,
From Mississippi's winding stream and from New England's shore.
The Second Sons are mustering from far and from near,
The Anarchists flee before us, The Papists cower in fear!
We dare not look behind us but steadfastly before.
We are coming, Father Abraham, 300,000 more!

We are coming, coming our Union to restore,
We are coming, Father Abraham, with 300,000 more!

If you look across the hilltops that meet the Northern sky,
Long moving lines of rising dust your vision may descry;
And now the wind, an instant, tears the cloudy veil aside,
And floats aloft our spangled flag in glory and in pride;
And Eagle Banners in the sunlight gleam, and bands brave music pour,
We are coming, father Abraham, 300,000 more!

We are coming, coming our Union to restore,
The Second Sons are coming, 300,000 more!

Abraham Lincoln was celebrating his reelection as President of the Republican Union in 1854. He had achieved so much in his first term after he had seized power that now he was being freely chosen and voted in with a mandate from the American people. Lincoln had risen from relative obscurity to dictator of the country in just a few short years with his Second Sons of Liberty movement, and now here again he was celebrating a second term, having defeated Republican candidate Rufus Samuel Newkirk. Newkirk had been a throw-away candidate by the Republicans and any doubt Lincoln would win was a sheer fantasy.

One of the biggest reasons for low turnout for anyone who opposed Lincoln was the growing Minutmen sub-group of the Second Sons led by young New Jersey party radical Schuyler Colfax. Colfax was known as "Lincoln's Hand" and his goons were some of the most hardened veterans of the street battles with the Radical Republicans during Lincoln's rise to power. Interestingly, Colfax's grandfather William Colfax and served in George Washington's Life Guard during the Revolutionary War, so his position was a fitting one. The mild-mannered young Colfax, a simple-looking bearded man in a suit, age 31, seemed as though he were a friendly neighborhood bank teller. But in reality he was one of the most cold and calculating members of Lincoln's administration. In 1855, a year after Lincoln's reelection, Colfax would order the poisoning of Potentate Zachary Taylor of Virginia. Supposedly, Lincoln was spoiling for a war to fulfill manifest destiny, but knew Taylor was too old to want a fight at this point. So it was actually Colfax who had Taylor poisoned so Jubal Early would come to power in Virginia. Unlike Taylor, Early was brash and always eager for a brawl.

7660-004-C39D60D7.jpg

Schuyler Colfax, Grand Master of the Fraternal Order of Minutemen

The first term had gone well for Lincoln. He genuinely saw himself as a defender of American virtue and its sacred beliefs. The Strong Man Theory which had grown so popular in New England in the 1840s, had been a revelation to to him. The Theory, combined with his new but deeply ingrained beliefs in American Fundamentalism and Scientific Marxism, made Lincoln see himself as a literal titan, a six-foot-four bearded strong man sent by God to lead America to glory and purity. He genuinely viewed Southron culture and morality as a threat and a test from God which he had to guide the nation through. In some ways, Lincoln was very much cut from the same cloth as the Roman dictators of antiquity; reluctant to assume power but when he did he did so with great purpose in mind. It was these similarities to Rome that further swept the nation up into "Rome-mania," and everything began being patterned after the "ultimate achievement of the Pinnacle Man," that being Ancient Rome.

Within the first year of assuming power, Lincoln reorganized the structure of the armed forces, grouping the Army into "Legions," exactly as Rome had. The ranks system was experimented with, at one point even trying to rename and restructure all ranks just as the Roman Legions, but this was deemed to antiquated and confusing. Lincoln did purge the "Frenchified" rank of lieutenant, replacing it with "legate." Likewise, "lieutenant general" was purged in favor of "legate general." Another interesting change that was adopted was the replacement of "corps," which consisted of around two divisions (around 50,000 men). Instead of "corps," they were now "legions." The Roman-style banners so popular with the Second Sons of Liberty were carried over into these new legions, each topped with an eagle made of pure gold and sporting a red banner showing the legion's number and army group number. These legions were part of larger "army groups" that defended a particular region or grouping of states. For instance, the 30,000-strong "Home Guard Legion" that was stationed inside Philadelphia was known as Legion I, Army Group I. Army Group I consisted of Legions I, II, III, IV, V, and VI, all based in and around Pennsylvania and New York. These 150,000 men formed the basis of "Lincoln's Hammer," which would, in the event of a war, be the first to see action and would be pounded deep into enemy territory rapidly. Each Legion was commanded by a Legate General, and the Army Groups served under a Field Marshal. Another example is Army Group II, under Field Marshal Percy Monroe. Legion VII was based out of Cincinnati, Ohio, Legion VIII was from Lincolnburg, Iowai, Legion IX out of Lewis City, Osage, and of course, the future infamous Legion X out of Shicagwa, Iowai. Together, Army Group II would be expected in the event of war to fight both in Virginia's Boone region and also carry the main fight to Georgia down the mighty Mississippi. There were other army groups and legions as well, of course, but that shall be discussed in a later chapter.

To back up the legions, the Union needed a strong navy. Lincoln began a process of rapid expansions for the Union fleet, fully embracing steel plating and "ironclad" warships which could be expected to clean the Mississippi River of antiquated Southron ships in a war and provide firepower and logistical support to any thrust Army Group II might make deep south toward the all-important New Orleans. Lincoln also signed a deal with Colonel Pierce Munitions to begin experimentation with the first "riversharks," what the rest of the world would later call "submarines." While far ahead of their time, these new riversharks would not be very useful for some years to come and could only seat two people, but they were able to dive beneath the waves for short intervals and could deploy mines. This new navy was also reformed and divided into four "Navy Groups," with Navy Group I serving out of Port Halifax, Nova Scotia, Navy Group II out of Boston Harbor, Navy Group III all along the Mississippi, and Navy Group IV, out on the Pacific Coast. The Republican Union Naval Academy operated out of Port Halifax, training up a new generation of sailor.

8907719164_319c7f2914_z.jpg

Meanwhile, American culture itself was changing and becoming even more odd and unique. In Boston Harbor the Second Sons of Liberty had erected a statue of Benjamin Franklin, who was held up as a genius "Pinnacle Man," holding a fasces in his left hand while his right hand extended toward the sky, hailing new arrivals to the port. The base of the statue read, "We must all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." The fasces had always been a symbol of America, in conjunction with the eagle, but it was around this time that many began to refer to the Second Sons and followers of Lincoln as "fascists," as it quite aptly described their views on unity and the solidarity of the states.

Lincoln also revolutionized culture by banning Christmas celebrations. In 1853, he announced that:

"Christmas is quite literally and openly a papist mass and an idolatry that should not be dallied in by true God-fearing protestant Americans. 'Merry Christmases' are bandied about every year as if it were some harmless goodwill, but mark my words as it is a very cancerous and diabolical intrusion of Bonapartist popery into our lives. Our Puritan forefathers knew this and made Christmas illegal, and so I too say it should be illegal. Instead, I wish to see us have a new perspective on Remembrance Day, also known as Christmas Eve. Instead of mourning the dead of 1812 as if at a funeral, we should instead celebrate their lives and sacrifice with an 'All-American Patriot-Saints Day, rejoicing in the fact that they have died an honorable death for their nation and given their all in defense of blood and soil. They have gone to be with the Creator, and though we may wish them back, they are at peace. And as the Prophet Burr revealed to us in verse two of the Book of Manifestum, our old comrades shall ride in the holy cohort of Christ on Judgement Day. So I say that Remembrance Day shall henceforth be known as Patriot-Saints Day. We will still have the Mourning of the Dead, but the rest of the day shall be devoted to a brighter and more hopeful holiday. We shall give gifts to one another in Christian charity, we shall sing songs and celebrate American life itself. This, I feel, is also a good reflection on how America is recovering and achieving its manifest destiny."

This banning of Christmas and creation of Patriot-Saints Day in the place of Remembrance Day did not sit well with some Protestant minorities, who viewed it as another step toward theocratic rule by the AFC Church and as a violation of the religious freedom supposedly guaranteed by Lincoln's own Constitution. Also, this raised pure hell with the Inferiors across the country, most of whom were Catholic. Now, for the first time, one of their religious practices was actually illegal. This resulted in the Christmas Riots of 1853, which saw the RUMP deploy en masse and slaughter several thousand Inferiors and also saw the Oshkosh Irish Ghetto completely burn to the ground. The flames ended up spreading to several nearby Better neighborhoods and did millions of dollars worth of damage. The Second Sons also deployed in "volunteer battalions" and patrolled the streets.

image.cfm

The Irish Ghetto burns to the ground

101166-004-CCEFA188.jpg

Betters of Society flee as the Franklin District goes up in flames

Instead of making the Lincoln administration or AFC Church look bad for imposing the Christmas Ban, it only steeled the resolve of the true believers. To them, the Franklin District Fire, which contained mostly the houses of Shicagwa's Lutheran population, was God's judgement upon Lutherans for not getting in line with the AFC. However, as rage started to boil over between rival Protestant groups, Lincoln stepped in with Reverend-Colonel Everett to say that other Protestant denominations were still welcome in the Union, "For a House divided against itself cannot stand." In reality, the AFC Church hoped to simply breed out other denominations and not actually come into conflict with them. This would be a future boiling point for America, but Lincoln would use his magnanimity to defuse the situation for now and used government funds to help rebuild the Franklin District.

Despite the setbacks of the Christmas Riots of 1853, the rest of Lincoln's reforms and policies had been rapidly adopted to no small acclaim. He pushed for a fair minimum wage for the Betters of Society and improved working conditions following the Colonel Pierce Munitions Factory Fire of 1852, which saw 8 foremen and 100 Better factory workers killed. He made schools much more widely available for Betters and raised the literacy level to a new high. As Lincoln said, "Not only by blood and iron, but by intelligence also shall we come out victorious above all other nations." In honor of his service to academia, John Purdue, a wealthy Iowai business magnate, founded President Lincoln University in Lincolnburg (formerly known as Lafayette), Iowai in 1854. This began a trend across the nation in the naming of schools after Lincoln.

As could be imagined, the aftermath of the Imperial Invasion of Egypt and the Levant did not sit well with Americans, who saw the Napoleonic presence in the Holy Land as an affront to Christ himself. Mass demonstrations were held, which partially helped distract from the Christmas Riots, burning Napoleon II's effigy and chanting, "Jerusalem shall be purified by blood and iron!" Indeed, if they didn't have the South to deal with, many Americans were just spoiling for a fight against Caesar and wanted to take Jerusalem for the stars and stripes. The fact that the Union would most certainly lose such a war didn't occur to them. What was interesting though, was the fact that Union arms and munitions began turning up in Iraq, Turkey, and North Africa. Little did the world realize that Lincoln had begun funneling supplies and weapons into Ethiopia on tea ships. From there the weapons were auctioned off to whoever wanted to fight Napoleon II's rule. By using Ethiopia as a trading partner, Lincoln was covering the Union's tracks so Ethiopia would be held liable for the weapon sales. Ethiopia had also grabbed up lower Egypt following the Ottoman collapse, which infuriated Caesar. This would later lead to the Franco-Ethiopian War of 1857, which would see Caesar conquer the Red Sea area and begin construction of the Suez Canal, making it far faster for Imperial troops and tradeships to get to and from India. Despite Ethiopia's best efforts, they could not hold back the Imperial Army forever and had to concede their coastline.

adwa-loc.jpg

Ethiopian troops armed with Union-made weapons fight the Imperial army in this Ethiopian painting

In 1858, Lincoln was up for reelection again. It was then that the Old Kinderhook Sinking would occur in the waters outside New Orleans, catapulting him to a third term and triggering the Great American War....

Last edited:
Ok, question time: Why is Polk leading Virginia? I thought he would have been perfect as the revanchist Chancellor of my beloved Confederation, seeing as he was born in North Carolina.

Ok, question time: Why is Polk leading Virginia? I thought he would have been perfect as the revanchist Chancellor of my beloved Confederation, seeing as he was born in North Carolina.

This is the problem of managing 5000 storylines in one, lol. I did intend for him to be the Chancellor of Carolinas, but I screwed up, lol. I shall fix it. lol I had someone else in mind for potentate of Virginia, I just gotta remember who.

This is the problem of managing 5000 storylines in one, lol. I did intend for him to be the Chancellor of Carolinas, but I screwed up, lol. I shall fix it. lol I had someone else in mind for potentate of Virginia, I just gotta remember who.

No problem! I know this TL has a lot of moving parts. If you need a guy for Virginia, how about Nathan Bedford Forrest? He's a nasty enough piece of work for TTL.

No problem! I know this TL has a lot of moving parts. If you need a guy for Virginia, how about Nathan Bedford Forrest? He's a nasty enough piece of work for TTL.

I literally just thought of him! lol But I think he's a tad too young. I'm leaning toward Jubal Early because he's the right age, was quite interesting OTL, and seems to be dogged in his mindset enough where Taylor would consider him a good replacement and protege.

Banning Christmas?!! You’ve finally done it, @Napoleon53! You’ve gone too far!!!

I expected the RU to start bringing new holidays to stamp out the more Catholic and pagan inspired ones, but did not expect them to stamp out the birth of Christ, only warp it to their brand of insanity. If the Lincoln and the AFC really wanted to fuck with Ceaser and Catholicism, putting more stuff in around Easter would be a better choice considering it’s prominence in the Church calendar.

Nice to see them getting around to purging the French words from English

Banning Christmas?!! You’ve finally done it, @Napoleon53! You’ve gone too far!!!

I expected the RU to start bringing new holidays to stamp out the more Catholic and pagan inspired ones, but did not expect them to stamp out the birth of Christ, only warp it to their brand of insanity. If the Lincoln and the AFC really wanted to fuck with Ceaser and Catholicism, putting more stuff in around Easter would be a better choice considering it’s prominence in the Church calendar.

Nice to see them getting around to purging the French words from English

The war on Christmas comes directly from the Puritans in a book I read. I feel its very fitting. And I'm sure they're not through yet. Baby steps.

First they came for Christmas. And I did nothing for I did not like having to buy presents. Then they came for Easter, and I said nothing for I hate cheap chocolate bunnies. Finally they came for Halloween, and we were left with nothing but White History Month.

/not serious, I just thought that was too funny to pass up lol

A TRIAL OF BLOOD AND IRON: THE GREAT AMERICAN WAR BEGINS

A TRIAL OF BLOOD AND IRON:

THE GREAT AMERICAN WAR BEGINS
battle-of-chantilly-civil-war-war-is-hell-store.jpg

Field Marshal Wyatt Jenkins leads American troops into battle (the Sacred Banner of Manifest Destiny, the Flag of the Old Republic, was flown from the beginning of the war as the Battle Flag of the Union to remind the troops of what the Union was fighting for)

sultana-2_custom-0bf675973b7998857a74357e308ae004e36d6a6a-s800-c85.jpg

The Sinking of the O.K. Sultan, August 22, 1858

The moment had finally arrived. After almost 60 years of living side-by-side in hatred, everything was coming to a head. The Great American War, which many had predicted for half a century, was likely inevitable, but interestingly, it was not Lincoln or Colfax's plots or schemes to antagonize Virginia that launched the war, but rather it was genuinely Georgian aggression that resulted in the outbreak of hostilities.

It was late in the evening on August 22, 1858, when the Old Kinderhook company trading steamship Sultan was chugging along the banks of the Mississippi, just some five miles outside of New Orleans. It was supposed to be on a mission to New Orleans to pick up a privately sold lot of tobacco from a Georgian tobacco company. The captain of the vessel was a Lewis City-born man named John Burr Hughes, and he was frustrated at having been stopped three times already on the way down the Mississippi to pick up a simple tobacco purchase. The ship was also carrying Union tourists, some 150 of them, who wished to see the Gulf of Mexico and the the site of the Battle of Boggy Swamp. These tourists were wealthy and were grumbling about the frequent stops and boardings by rude Georgian Navy sailors. Now, as Hughes was steering the Sultan out of New Orleans, a small squadron of Georgian ships closed in flashing flags to demand the Sultan drop anchor and prepare for inspection. Hughes had had enough. He grabbed a megaphone and headed to the top deck to speak his mind. What follows are based on eyewitness testimonies.

Hughes stood atop the top deck, a dapper gentleman in his blue captain's uniform and a grimace on his face. He was growing steadily tired of these obnoxious Georgian demands and searches and had just been cleared by the New Orleans port authorities not even a half hour before. This was the straw that would break the camel's back. He hollered at the pursuing Georgian sloops, "I am Captain John Burr Hughes of the Old Kinderhook Company trading ship Sultan, and this ship has been cleared by the Port Authority of New Orleans and it has been inspected five times since we raised anchor in Lewis City. This is an outrageous waste of both of our time and is infuriating to my passengers, who are simply tourists who wanted to see the Main and some sites. We now wish to continue on our way uninterrupted. Thank you, gentlemen of Georgia!"

The Georgian officers on the Athens, the chief sloop of the squadron, took to their own megaphones, yelling back, "You Yankees will immediately drop anchor and accept a search of your vessel for illegal goods and escaped slaves. A local farm has had ten slaves run off and there are suspicions you may be harboring these fugitives."

Captain Hughes couldn't believe they could be so rude and bold when he actually had nothing to hide. "I assure you, you pack of river-pirates, that there is nothing but 150 Union souls and three lots of tobacco aboard, and you can go ask your damnable Port Authority about this matter. Now, if it so pleases you, my lords, this free ship of the Union is in free waters and is going to steam its way back to Lewis City, in our beautiful state of Osage. You are quite welcome to follow us all the way there and take this matter up with the Union Navy!"

The tourists now were all coming out on the observation decks, joining Hughes in his outrage about this illegal search. Chanting, "Down with Georgian tyranny!" the Yankee aristocrats made their voices heard.

Growing more and more impatient by the second, the Georgians again demanded, "This is your final warning! Drop anchor and prepare to be searched for contraband! Again, this is your final warning!"

Hughes was aghast and in shock, "What are you talking about? You mean to fire on a civilian transport vessel in open water? I will not stand for this insult! This ship is steaming on to Lewis City, and you can all burn in hell!"

At that, the first gun went off, ordered to be a warning shot in the water, but the 6 pound explosive hit the underside of the Sultan, smashing through the main steam engine in a complete fluke and quickly detonating in the engine bay, sending the ship listing off to the left as dozens of people and bits and pieces of steamship went flying into the green water of the Mississippi.

"My God, what have we done."
- William Gray, Captain of the Athens
Confused and startled, the sailors on the other sloops followed the lead of the Athens and opened fire on the Sultan, destroying the rear end and rudder and sending all the passengers screaming to the front. The ship's dried tobacco shipment began to burn bright as a Remembrance Day bonfire, as the screams of innocent passengers and cries of children came forth over the sound of the guns. Before the Georgian officers could get the firing to cease, it was too late. The Sultan was grounded and taking on water fast, heavily tilting to the right as the left side of the hull smashed into the rocks. Men, women, and children vanished beneath the water as Captain Hughes, injured from shrapnel in his left arm, tried to lead everyone through the water and onto the safety of the bank. He saved some 30 people before collapsing and bleeding out on the ground. Alligators also came in for the kill, menacing the civilians desperately trying to keep their heads above the water. Around 100 people would die before the day was over, and the Sultan was completely destroyed and burned up.

When news of the sinking reached Savannah by telegraph, Prime Minister George Bonaparte Towns couldn't believe the atrocity his ships had just committed. He immediately had the the officers in charge of the sinking stripped of rank and dishonorably discharged, but it was too little too late and he knew it. Speaking before the Georgian Parliament, he brought the news to its attention.

"Yesterday, at approximately 7:30 in the evening, the Yankee Old Kinderhook trading ship Sultan was destroyed by a rogue squadron of our sloops policing the Mississippi. Over 100 lives were lost, and the officers responsible have been punished severely, but I fear this is the breaking point of our relations with the Union. I fear, deep in my bones, that we are about to enter a period of bloodshed and violence unseen in modern times since 1812. I do not ask for forgiveness for the loss of life and the sinking of the Sultan, but I do ask the Union and President Lincoln exercise caution in this dangerous period, as Georgia will fight back if a retaliatory action is taken. I ask President Lincoln to meet with me in New Orleans two months from now to discuss a fitting and proper reparation to the sinking of the Sultan, and I extend my most heartfelt apologies to the families of those lost innocents. The surviving crew and passengers have been rescued and are currently being transported up river to Lewis City. I ask for everyone to pray over this grave matter. I also ask everyone able man to enlist in the Georgian Army in case this situation spirals out of control. Thank you, and may God bless Georgia and the Deep South forever."

-
Georgian Prime Minister George Bonaparte Towns
Lincoln wasn't about to sit down to a conference between himself and Towns. The people of the Union were shook to their very core by the attack and demanded action. Not in decades had there been such an outcry for war. This was what Lincoln had waited for. He went before the National Assembly in Philadelphia and gave his response to Towns two days later.

"The people of this glorious Republican Union have been insulted by Southron aggressors for the last time. We always knew that, deep down, the slave-whipping scoundrels in Savannah and Richmond and Baltimore were bad folk, but we didn't realize they would resort to privateering and wholesale massacres on open and free waters of our beloved fellow citizens. This cannot and will not stand, not while I breathe or while any other God-fearing red-blooded American patriot breathes. Now and again, the tree of our liberty must be watered with the blood of the Union's enemies, a libation to the God of War. I say to the Republic of Georgia, here we stand! Strong and proud, our loins girded for battle and revenge. Though war may be an unfortunate reality in this life, we fight for a brighter and more glorious future. We will not stand idly by as Northern blood flows through the Mississippi. As the bloated corpses of innocent passengers float down that majestic waterway. A waterway guaranteed by the Louisiana Accords to be free and open to all nations! The attack on the O.K. Sultan was an attack on the very concept of this nation and to all it stands for. These dogs in the swamps pretend to be chivalrous and operate under their own code of respect, but they are actually fiends who delight in the murder of innocent men, women, and children. I do have one bright moment from this atrocity to share with you, a shining example of American chivalry. Captain John Burr Hughes, a 45 year-old native Lewis City, is now America's favorite son. He gave his life rescuing countless shipmates and passengers as the Sultan sank beneath the murky waters. Mortally wounded and bleeding profusely, he saved the lives of everyone he could. He is a true Patriot-Saint, and we should all remember his family in our prayers. And our soldiers will remember the pain and anguish we all feel as we go marching through Georgia. As of now, Maryland and Virginia are quiet on this disaster, but we feel little doubt Potentate Early will come to the support of Georgia and we shall have a great war upon our hands. The Republican Union and Georgia are now at war. I know in my heart of hearts that the Good Lord is with us, and that we shall win this trial of blood and iron. All hail the Republican Union! All hail the fallen Patriot-Saints! All hail our Holy Vengeance!"

- President Abraham Aaron Lincoln​

The outpouring of support for war was mindblowing. Tens of thousands of eager young Yankees flocked to the colors. Wives and sweethearts wept as the "boys in blue" took off to fight the Southron dogs. Every city and town in the Union felt an immediate impact from the war as half the workforce took up arms overnight. This began to immediately run the Inferior workforce ragged to produce enough supplies and gear for all of the new soldiers.

Camping-Along-the-Potomac4.jpg

New enlistees drill near Philadelphia, September, 1858

One thing was certain, though, and it was that Army Group I and its six legions, Lincoln's Hammer, were already on the march toward Virginia and Maryland. Field Marshal Wyatt Jenkins was to punch through as rapidly as possible into Virginian soil to take Jubal Early off-guard before an actual declaration of war would be announced. The Chesapeake Republic of Maryland was considered a less priority, as Baltimore was largely the only large city in the nation. Jenkins also did not want to lay siege to Baltimore as that would consume to much time and too many men, so he had riders dispatched to demand a vow of neutrality or expect a certain slaughter within Baltimore. The Union Navy steamed into the port of Baltimore and created a blockade. The Maryland government mustered its forces up and prepared them for war, but ended up going into defensive positions and agreeing to the Union's demands. This severely hampered Virginia-Maryland relations. Francis Thomas, President of Maryland and part of the Christian Democrat Party, was terrified that Maryland would be erased from the map, and so became known as "Lincoln's Lapdog." This vow of neutrality did not stop Maryland volunteers from harassing the incoming Union columns and then fleeing south to enlist in the Virginia armed forces.

Out west, the momentum was even more swift as Navy Group III pushed hard and fast down the Mississippi, eviscerating the first packs of Georgian ships they found there. Army Group II, under Field Marshal Percy Monroe, marched south in a multi-pronged assault on Kentucky, Boone, and Mississippi. Their first objective was to secure Louisville, Kentucky and Fort Davis, Mississippi. Legions VII and VIII, under Legate Generals William Sherman and Abner Doubleday immediately took Louisville in the opening days of the war, absolutely destroying the Virginian Army there. Sherman was a vicious commander, who wanted to keep pressing on, deeper into Kentucky, whilst Doubleday, grandson of George Washington's messenger and hardline Second Son, wanted to follow invasion plans and remain in Louisville to occupy the city and firmly entrench it beneath America's jackboot. Sherman would reveal his mastery of ad-hoc tactics by taking Legion VIII with him anyway and laying quickly laying siege to Kentucky's capital of Lexington at the heart of the state. It was only less than two months after the opening of hostilities, however, and his troops were already becoming exhausted. The Siege of Lexington would last two more months until the Chersonesus Volunteer Legion, along with several brigades of AFC Volunteers, would come down from the north and begin to reinforce Sherman's position.

Meanwhile, back in Virginia, a small force of Union troops under Henry Ezekiel Walker were to contain Virginian troops in the Appalachian hills of Westsylvania while Field Marshal Jenkins pressed through neutral Maryland and into the top crest of Columbiana. There, the Union would face the first true "European style" battle of the war. The Battle of Front Royal on September 27 was actually a surprising setback for the Union and it halted Jenkins advance for a while. Eventually, however, the Virginian forces were ordered to withdraw to Manassas, which was deemed more strategically important. As Jenkins and his 100,000 men pressed forward, Potentate Early was know determined to repeat the initial success of Front Royal. Instead, however, the battle, taking place on the first entire week of October, was a bloody atrocity on both sides. Over 15,000 Union soldiers were killed and over 12,000 Virginians and Maryland volunteers also were lost. Jenkins was enraged at the slaughter and kept trying to press forward, only to be beaten back by Virginian general Robert E. Lee, son of a Revolutionary War legend.

shiloh.jpg

The Battle of Manassas

On the morning of October 7, Jenkins had no choice but to launch an all-out assault or be forced to withdraw back to Front Royal and likely wait out the winter there. Over 50,000 men pushed forward following a massive artillery barrage by both sides and assaulted the Virginian troops. After two hours of intense bayonet battles and hand-to-hand combat, the Virginians were forced to retreat. A grueling march to Fredericksburg further crushed the Virginian morale and the Union was now effectively in control of the entirety of northern Columbiana. Westsylvania was still solidly in Virginian hands, but the other section of Army Group I under Legate General Winston Schofield Hancock did manage to take control of the panhandle, held the line and kept the Virginian forces there under Thomas Jackson bottled up.

The ordinary people of these areas were effected the most. Doubleday commenced massive waves of roundups of Irish and Catholic citizens and imprisoned them in the "Doubleday Hotel," a bleak and antiquated local fortress he had taken over as his headquarters. Sherman was busy bringing untold amounts of devastation in his trail to Lexington and was unhesitating in his actions that were causing mass starvation to bring the Kentucky capital to its knees. All along the Mississippi, farmers and fishermen fled in terror as the war swept north. In Maryland, entire towns were deserted as citizens fled for Baltimore and away from the Union Army. In northern Columbiana, rape and looting was widespread as Army Group I settled in for the winter. Interestingly, the slaves in Columbiana immediately greeted the Yankees as saviors and formed "Negro Volunteer Regiments." Many of these slaves were secretly believers in American Fundamentalism and saw the invasion as the fulfilling of prophecy.

Things were about to get interesting in the spring of 1859, when both Texas and the Confederation of the Carolinas would enter the Great American War....

newcumber2.png

Field Marshal Jenkins rides through the ranks during the final push at the Battle of Manassas (October 1 - 7, 1858)

newcumber.png

The 4th Massachusetts Regiment of Foot advances against Virginian forces in Westsylvania during the Battle of New Cumberland (October 1, 1858)

250px-JubalSEarlyVignettep149crop.jpg

Jubal Early, Potentate of the Republic of Virginia

newcumber3.png

Georgian troops pose for a photograph before shipping out

0937000005-l.jpg

Legate General Winston Schofield Hancock poses for a photo with his officers sometime in the fall of 1858

william-tecumseh-sherman-1820-1891-american-7597627.jpg

Legate General William Sherman

41j-maBujNL._SY450_.jpg

General Robert E. Lee of Virginia

ECWC%20TOPIC%20Union%20Prisons%20PIC%20Camp%20Chase%20Ohio.jpg

Inside the POW and Inferior prison known as the "Doubleday Hotel"

3401791_orig.jpeg

Marylander troops in a fort outside "neutral" Baltimore

Last edited:
Well just binged through this and loving it so far. As someone who never read the first TL anyone mind telling me the major differences so far?

Well for one, there was no Civil War period war, so this is all brand new lately. Other differences include (but not only) the original didn't have Scientific Marxism, a Napoleonic invasion of the Holy Land or Egypt, Britain didn't turn fascist until much later, and Custer's backstory is quite different.

And thank you for reading! :D

And here we go! I'm enjoying how differently this is unrolling so far, especially now that we're getting to see Uncle Billy in action. I'm a little surprised the RU isn't pushing hard down the Mississippi yet, given how important New Orleans is, and to stop the Texans taking it from the west first. That reminds me, speaking of the West, what are the relations with the American Indians like among the different North American nations at this point in time? I imagine the RU is more or less genocidal in the areas they control, but did Georgia pursue a similar policy to the expulsions of OTL, or have they been more lenient?