The "Cyberfunk" materialist consumerist society will also lend itself to far more black humor and edgy comedy.
I guess my main quibble here is that I really don't like edgy comedy these days. Maybe it's because I'm well into my 20s now, maybe it's because I've run into too many alt-right trolls who think that posting "physical removal" memes and mocking as weak anybody who tells them to shut up qualifies as humor, but at this point the idea of "haha look at these fascists and their gleefully smug hypocrisy" is actually kinda depressing in and of itself. I've actually been enjoying the more serious turn of the story a bit more, with the grinding brutality of this war run by evil idiots shown in stark terms.

I gotta say, for anyone who has said the TL is depressing: We're at a pretty depressing point in the story. Steele has his memes, like pocket bacon, but this part of the story isn't intended to be as funny as usual. The Pinnacle Future, however, as I have said before, is really going to be where the TL hits its real stride and setting. I remember the TVTropes page for 1.0 described 1.0 as "laughing at self-satisfied totalitarian society." Pinnacle Future is gonna be that. Oswald is the "funny" dictator. The "Cyberfunk" materialist consumerist society will also lend itself to far more black humor and edgy comedy. Think Tales from the Gas Station meets Dr. Strangelove in Twin Peaks. lol TPF will also feature an honest-to-goodness protagonist, however misguided. That's a first for the TL. lmao There's not really a place for a protagonist that would actually make sense for the huge swathe of time that Union Forever covers. Pinnacle Future is the length of a normal human lifetime.

Also, I realized today that wheelchairs are this TL's version of Star Wars' chopped hands. Goodyear ended up in a wheelchair. Patton ended up in a wheelchair. If he's anything like 1.0 or OTL, Oswald will probably end up in a wheelchair. I thought it was amusing.
Yah I Ike the serious turn of the story more and it would sort be a little story breaking to suddenly have it be a dark comedy

Yah I Ike the serious turn of the story more and it would sort be a little story breaking to suddenly have it be a dark comedy
I think you need to have it be serious, but the dark comedy has to be inlaid into a serious tone. Like pocket bacon, or nude aerobics, or George Washington Carver giving children cocaine. Its in a dark and dystopian world but its so dystopian its ridiculous in its twistedness.

And apparently he was great at it. His dad had to forge a rejection letter for creative writing at college. If he doesnt take over as the main Zap Zephyr writer when he becomes president then this timeline will have failed for the first time.
PRESIDENT OF THE REPUBLICAN UNION, GENERALISSIMO OF NIPPON, IMMOLATOR OF THE BRAZIL, AND SUPREME CHIEF OF ZAP ZEPHYR,

PRESIDENT. JOSEPH. WILLIAM. OSWALD. JUNIOR!

And apparently he was great at it. His dad had to forge a rejection letter for creative writing at college. If he doesnt take over as the main Zap Zephyr writer when he becomes president then this timeline will have failed for the first time.

So basically this is the madness version of Adolf Hilter and art school.

I hope Pinnacle Future has a good mix of Grimdark with an eventual redemption of the human race... that or some aliens find Earth, see our history and drop a couple trillion nanobots and virusbombs on them.

I hope Pinnacle Future has a good mix of Grimdark with an eventual redemption of the human race... that or some aliens find Earth, see our history and drop a couple trillion nanobots and virusbombs on them.
I’m imagining Posadist aliens just glassing the entire earth except for the illuminated republics

So every once in a while the universe manifests pure story potential as a gift from the Gods. I'm doing my job at Walgreens this afternoon, helping a regular customer, when he starts asking about my hearse because he thought it was hilarious that I keep an old casket in the back (true story, I made it into a toolbox lmao). He then proceeded to tell me a story of how his buddy served in Vietnam and did a bunch of drugs and acid. When he got home he started sleeping in a casket every night with a trifolded American flag on his chest, hands together over his heart.

This ABSOLUTELY will appear in this timeline now. It's clinically insane and I love it. Somebody in Pinnacle Future is gonna sleep in a coffin with a flag over his chest, and it's gonna be hilarious.

Last edited:
Was the casket... open? Or did this dude actually go full Dracula?

You could totally phrase it as an AFC thing. Orthodox monasticism has the concept of being dead to the material world, and alive in the spiritual-- basically, a saintly person is one who feels barely more hunger, lust or greed than a dead man, but channels that saved energy into understanding God.

So every once in a while the universe manifests pure story potential as a gift from the Gods. I'm doing my job at Walgreens this afternoon, helping a regular customer, when he starts asking about my hearse because he thought it was hilarious that I keep an old casket in the back (true story, I made it into a toolbox lmao). He then proceeded to tell me a story of how his buddy served in Vietnam and did a bunch of drugs and acid. When he got home he started sleeping in a casket every night with a trifolded American flag on his chest, hands together over his heart.

This ABSOLUTELY will appear in this timeline now. It's clinically insane and I love it. Somebody in Pinnacle Future is gonna sleep in a coffin with a flag over his chest, and it's gonna be hilarious.
Make it an important government official, like the head of ORRA after patton or something
Nevermind make it the new head of Tobia's castle