"What Madness Is This?" Redux: The Union Forever

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: Before 1900' started by Napoleon53, Sep 13, 2018.

1. timmy_khagann Nomad of the Red Plains

Do remember that Classic had the Black Jew of Camp 222.

Trust me, at some point in time the RU will be mass-producing the most batshit insane scientists ever to grace academia, courtesy of the Charles Goodyear Bright Young Patriot Scholarship Program*.

*okay, so this part i made up out of silver silk. the rest is essentially true, tho

2. Roland Traveler [O5 Clearance Required]

Hey, @Napoleon53, if you want to add even more craziness to the timeline, during WWII most armies issued meth to its soldiers and it’s speculated that the sheer amount of meth given to Japanese soldiers contributed to their brutality. Now imagine a future Republican Union military fueled by meth and told they’re on a god blessed campaign against the Inferiors. It’d fix the problems that ORRA suffered in the original and would make the Rape of Nanking into a normal pacification operation.

3. Worffan101 Dirty Communist

...guys, Mengele's work was scientifically useless. It was just a psychopath indulging his sadism.

There's only a very limited amount of information that you can get from unethical experimentation. You need sane people and unrestricted ideas to get actual progress, otherwise you go down batshit pseudoscience routes like phrenology and sooner or later end up running into tech walls.

4. Worffan101 Dirty Communist

So you mean basically a Draka Janissary army with added religious fanaticism? There's a recipe for 'success'.

Simeon and TheImperialTheorist like this.
  5. Napoleon53 Order of Monocled Sirs ಠ_ರೃ

Reporting you to Republican Union Military Police
    I have definitely thought of this. It's a classic Heinleinian sounding plot for "what is your worth to society."

Already on it! Earlier in this version and Classic Madness, I had Fire-Breather cigarettes laced with coke and cocaine lozenges.

6. Sunstone77 Well-Known Member

The total monopoly of Goodyear Enterprises of the original WMIT doesn’t seem to have set in yet, so they have to remain competitive and innovative. That and the current Charles Goodyear fanaticism about making the RU great means he’s probably dumping money on problems, not to mention outright stealing ideas from other countries and rushing them to completion.

That said, the RU in the original WMIT always being the most technical advanced nation did bug me. Maybe give the Allies a bone and some good tech but can’t compete with the RU’s overwhelming numbers. Georgia’s last hurrah as the evacuate to Cuba is to atom bomb advancing RU soliders?

7. Historyman 14 Well-Known Member

I will also say Freach Australia will now have a good use as Napoleon II will be sending every last trouble-maker and nay-sayer to the Land Down Under. (Same for Louisiana and Quebec. Why? If only to boost their numbers and keep the RU away.)

Simeon, Roger Redux and xsampa like this.
  8. Xianfeng Emperor Amateur Iran-o-phile

Regarding China, I feel like the Qing Dynasty--or maybe a successor dynasty based off the Taiping could really go the Imperial Japanese route, or even take it further:
    • Social elite emphasising honour? Check.
    • Emperor worship? Check.
    • Willingness and ability to sustain apocalyptic wars? Check.
    • Honour suicide? Rather overlooked by contemporary pop history, but check.
    • Kamikaze? Check.
    • Superiority complex? Check.
    Imgine--Imperial Japan but with the resources of China and something like 6,7 times the population. Whilst the basis for much of Imperial Japanese theology aren't as strong in China than they are in Japan, I still be a horrific opponent. If China gets badly mauled by imperialist powers like in Classic, I'd even expect attacks like these:
    [​IMG]
    To become the norm towards the end of the 19th Century and beyond.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  9. Md139115 Bring back the Inquisition!

Secret Catholic World Domination Conference
    Come to think of it, we came close to crazy China in the Boxer Rebellion.

AeroTheZealousOne likes this.
  10. Xianfeng Emperor Amateur Iran-o-phile

I feel like the Taiping Rebellion was far more crazy. Though this being Madness it'd be very interesting to mix these two sets of theology together.

AeroTheZealousOne likes this.
  11. 245 Well-Known Member

mad China vs a Japan that makes decisive darkness japan look sane, I like it.

12. Historyman 14 Well-Known Member

But why?

But didn't we like...talk about China having a better fate then in Classic? (At least for a longer time.)

I mean, I get this is 'What Madness', but still.

13. Wolttaire Well-Known Member

I think that would add for this madness is maybe one of the places authroirtan otl turn into the opposite to add to what is this madness

14. 245 Well-Known Member

I mean eventually China will go down the gutter, the rule/feeling of the madness universe is that eventually, everyone, from nations to religions to races and ethnicities and ect will go mad in the long run.

15. Historyman 14 Well-Known Member

But still, no little hope here and there?

16. 245 Well-Known Member

that's a good idea, but not too good, maybe just basic authoritarian, but compared to everone else, there the sane guys.

17. Wolttaire Well-Known Member

Yah with limited freedoom something like maybe bismark germany it wouldn't be freedom but at the same time you have limited rights while everyone else will make 1984 look okay in comparison

Whiteshore likes this.
  18. 245 Well-Known Member

exactly. not too good to be considered good, but not to evil to considered insane.

19. Historyman 14 Well-Known Member

O ye, of little faith...

20. 245 Well-Known Member

"There is no faith in the land of madness, for abandoned all for those who enter its cursed grounds." Made that quote my self.

Sunstone77 and Simeon like this.