What is a common thing or trope that always seem to happen?

TBF, WW2 realmente ayudó a cimentar esto, particularmente en el frente oriental.
I think I should have specified that countries behave like this even when it is NOT an existential war in which one of the belligerents faces the threat of extermination if defeated. In that case the set of rules is different.

You can see the Anglo-American centric mentality in this timeline which is about the perfidious Soviets starting WW3 in 1946, loaded to the brim with ... iffy characteriziations and almost only Anglo/American characters.

Last edited:
Artificial war delaying, or as I like to call it, suicidal lemming mentality.

Contrary to what the name of the trope might suggest, it does not imply that the country is run by a cabal of crazy militarists (and even if it is, that is irrelevant, because the population supports its government to the bitter end and even after). Even also, losing the war NOT means the extermination of the loser.

It usually comes in three complementary variants:

-Citizens of a country, whether civilian or military, are rabid fanatics who will support the continuation of the war (which they started, or were willing to break out and doing everything possible to make it break out.) This they will do even if the odds are so brutally against him that it's not even funny. This means that even if they are defeated in battle, they will regroup in the shadows and constantly attack as partisans.

-Normally it is the same country, but the government/military of one of the belligerents will try to prolong the war as long as possible because they trust that, if they prolong it long enough, something will happen that will completely turn the situation around.

Normally it is a mystical arcane such as "without a doubt my enemy's economy will collapse and that will allow me to force an end to the war on my terms" or "without a doubt the neutral countries will jump to my aid because due to the balance of powers It isn't in their interest that this one crushes me too much" or "if I drag out the war long enough, I will link it with the next great war and therefore I will have the support of one of the belligerent sides.

-One of the countries will prolong the war because it is trying to force the unconditional surrender of the other. This means repeatedly rejecting offers of negotiated peace, both from his own people and from the enemy, because he is hell-bent on forcing unconditional surrender.

Basically the assumption that the whole world will treat all wars as if they were existential conflicts that admit no other outcome than total victory or total annihilation.

And bit related trope is that lost country is eternally angry and hostile to winner and it will launch new war immediately as it is possible even if peace terms were rleatively mild and lost country has not any change win new round. And these countries just can't ever consile under any condition even if for them would be better to live at peace together instead waging yet tenth X - Y war. Yes, there is some historic examples where same countries have fought numerous times but it doesn't mean that every nation behave that way.

The latter is in reference to how it will be assumed that US politics will continue to follow the same tracks as OTL regardless of what is happening inside and outside the country.

Eh, to be fair, though.....there's a good bit about U.S. politics that probably wouldn't change all that much even with an early POD-for example, there would most likely be a Civil War, there would almost certainly be a time in which social issues dominate politics(and which reactionaries eventually lose: fuck, even IOTL that's been true, and they were arguably "wanked" a fair bit in our world if anything!), and you're not almost certainly going to see things like Jim Crow, etc. survive to the year 2000 or so(barring either some truly off the wall long chain of events, and/or a quasi-fascist, if not totally fascist, dictatorship).

Doubtful. Soylent Green won that trial (and defeats you). It is their reversal that could bring about the downfall of Soylent Green and thus the implosion of the US economy.

Because, of course, even though the government is wasting the equivalent of the GDP of the entire European Union on waging an all-out genocidal war on the other side of the world, that won't do any harm to its economy at all.

Upside down! The war further strengthens and enriches the national economy!

But lo and behold, ONE SINGLE COMPANY begins to lose a little bit of profit margin... and that is A NATIONAL CATASTROPHE because by "economic logic" that means that this company can only go downhill. Dragging with her at least 300 other companies that did not even have commercial agreements with her.

Yeah, now see, that kinda thing actually has been a problem before, and not just particularly with alt-history TLs. Sci-Fi and fantasy works can and not rarely do, suffer that same issue as well.

It’s the ability to vote that matters so much to the average person more than actually voting because of what it represents: the legal equality of all people under the law. Any monarchy (unless it’s some sort of odd, directly elected monarchy, which AFAIK only ever existed in city-states historically) inherently posits that some people are superior to others by virtue of their bloodline, which is patently ridiculous. You’ll notice that all monarchies today have either reduced them to a ceremonial role or mostly rely on some other justification for their rule (such as religion).

That's a good point.

I'm not sure that the ability to vote and the equality of people before the law are inherently related as many people seem to believe.

I mean, during a good part of the 19th and 20th centuries, there were countries where the ability to vote and the inequality of people sanctioned by law coexisted at the same time. (Think, to give a non-extremist example, of census suffrage, which brings together both characteristics in the same system).

Well, yes, but these flaws existed largely in spite of voting, not because of it, at least as far as the U.S. is concerned.

That India is spontaneously always divided and blandly united feels like it says something about people tending towards wanting to break up things or unite things, but relatively rarely do people write somewhere that something is partially united - for a couple OTL examples, that Austria and Germany or Portugal and Spain are separate countries.

Not to say this is necessarily a bad thing, it's just a thing where it seems like there's a tendency for wanting either balkanization or unity to go all the way.

Yeah, that would be interesting to see. Or even a couple of larger *U.S.A. like states in North America that aren't necessarily the *Confederacy and/or the U.S. with a *Communist veneer and paintjob. (Or, alternatively, maybe a larger *Canada type arrangement and/or a larger *Mexico-think of Sobel's classic TL For Want of a Nail for an example of this)

Specifically, I have seen that it has suddenly become fashionable to force Xinjiang to separate, even in times and contexts where that doesn't make any sense, in response to certain recent events. In addition to the usual trope of "let's separate Manchuria and Tibet and give Inner Mongolia to Mongolia, who cares about little things like there are more Chinese in Inner Mongolia than Mongols in both territories."

TBH, the idea that Xinjiang will always be part of China really is overdone, though, so I think it's nice to see more independent *East Turkestans out there.

you'll always have an alt-Reformation, an alt-Thirty Years' War, an alt-bourgeois revolution a la French Revolution, at least one colonial revolution, a Spring of Nations, and two world wars (never less, never more).

While I think you could reasonably debate the first two......I really can't see how you'd avoid any of the stuff in the bold happening at some point in time. (I largely agree on the bit about *World Wars-hardly implausible to have just two, but it doesn't have to be that way-and you might even be able to avoid having one if you can play your cards right)

You forgot to mention that the second world war is triggered by the losers of the first trying to take revenge. Also the Cold War, the divided countries, the collapse of one of the sides of said Cold War and the absolute domination of the other until terrorist attacks start out of nowhere. Or that surviving superpower falls into a civil war and proceeds to destroy itself (often dragging the rest of the world after it).

Eh, to be fair, none of these things are particularly implausible, in and of themselves, or even that difficult to make plausible for that matter-it wouldn't necessarily be the type of Cold War we learned about in our universe(Capitalism vs. Communism), or even nearly as intense, but it could very well be a thing once nuclear weapons are invented(and no doubt they would be-a plausible scenario in which they are used a few times and then simply dropped altogether might be fairly hard to do, but could be very interesting to read about, especially if pulled off well enough.

I’m thinking of possibly subverting that trope in my TL as historically there were instances where British hold over the subcontinent could have slipped.

Funny thing is, our very own Tony Jones wrote a couple of TLs detailing just that; Cliveless World, in which the French took over India instead, after one of Clive's suicide attempts succeeded, and Gurkani Alam, where two Indian states-one a surviving Mughal Empire, were able to basically throw off European rule altogether. (Both TLs have a somewhat punk-ish feel to them, perhaps especially the former, but if that's your kinda thing, you'll probably enjoy it.)

I had already pointed out this problem of "temporal parallelism". The worst being when the analogous events are so corresponding that the year is not even changed.
I enjoy breaking it down in my own timeline.

That can be an issue sometimes, admittedly, but it's not always going to be implausible, necessarily. Sometimes, at worst it neither helps nor hurts.

Sometimes things happen to the day or even the hour, despite the PoD being much earlier.

Yeah, that level of parallelism can be really hard to justify, at least if you don't elaborate on it.

Parallel people and events is just lazy and boring AH, no way around it.

Not always, though. Sometimes, in fact, parallelism can be very well thought-out and interesting.....and yes, there are also times, conversely, where divergence can be lazy and/or boring AF(for example, a hypothetical TL in which America hasn't progressed on social issues much past the 1960s even by the present day simply because of the lack of *WWII, or the Soviet Union surviving and even thriving well into the 21st Century by simply removing Gorbachev in 1985, and so on and so forth; I'd personally say 1. is more likely to be the former and 2. might better fit the latter, but YMMV, I suppose). It all depends on what is done, and how it's done.

To expand on this a little, there's nothing necessarily wrong with a TL that has 2 *World Wars with a POD in, oh say, 1789 or whatever, though to be fair, it really does help the plausibility of said TL if one puts some effort into writing the background as to how that came to be(yes, this is a bit simplified, but it's important). But you also can't necessarily just slap divergences together and then say, "Well, my job here is done.", when it comes to ensuring plausibility, at least if that's something you're looking to check on(though if not, feel free), and it's also worth recognizing that sometimes, things occur for a reason(even if the vice versa is also true at times). For example, there is a very good reason(actually, multiple!) why liberal democracy(be it in a republican form, or under the aegis of a consitutional monarchy), for example, is not at all rarely regarded as perhaps the most effective & workable system of governance ever devised thus far; not only do most of the world's wealthiest countries fall in this category, but virtually all of the happiest and safest ones as well(though IOTL the latter does have a rare exception in the United States), even despite the fact that arguably many, many things that could have gone wrong, did go wrong.....and there's also reasons why illiberal Communism & fascism(and adjacent ideologies) have ultimately failed in the long run historically, even IOTL. Making a TL in which liberal democracy exists but just fails to gain traction at all can be done, but it's one of those things that's very hard to do plausibly without a truly radical POD, or set of them, and even then, it's far more of a challenge than some might realize; conversely, it's rather easier to diminish the influences of Communism and fascism.

And bit related trope is that lost country is eternally angry and hostile to winner and it will launch new war immediately as it is possible even if peace terms were rleatively mild and lost country has not any change win new round. And these countries just can't ever consile under any condition even if for them would be better to live at peace together instead waging yet tenth X - Y war. Yes, there is some historic examples where same countries have fought numerous times but it doesn't mean that every nation behave that way.

I can see how that would be an issue, too. Granted, sometimes it's plausible for this to happen(for one example, it's highly unlikely that the U.S. ever would have become truly friendly with the Confederacy if they did succeed in breaking off, in an ATL Civil War.), but yeah, I think I have seen a few TLs using this trope, that.....maybe didn't need to.

Yeah, that would be interesting to see. Or even a couple of larger *U.S.A. like states in North America that aren't necessarily the *Confederacy and/or the U.S. with a *Communist veneer and paintjob. (Or, alternatively, maybe a larger *Canada type arrangement and/or a larger *Mexico-think of Sobel's classic TL For Want of a Nail for an example of this)
Yeah. I don't think its necessary for any given timeline to do any of these things, but it would be interesting and different.

North America is huge, there are multiple ways it could potentially end up - especially if you have a POD prior to 1500 or so.

Last edited:
Polytheism inevitably declining globally.
The same world religions (such as Christianity and Islam) founded by the same people inevitably appearing and spreading even in timelines where the POD is centuries if not millennia before the birth of Chirst.
Those two tropes annoy me.
Yea, that annoys me as well. admitedly as a polytheist, I am biased in my dislike of the trope, but still its a trope that does bug me.

One of these days I will do a timeline that has sections on the evolution of religion in a world without Monotheism; I have some thoughts for the cultural evolution in a Hellenistic empire that had some more Buddhist and Jain philosophers in Europe.

One of the things that I liked least about what I read about TL-191 was precisely that.

The United States is rapidly degenerating into an ultra-nationalist, militaristic regime that builds its entire foreign policy around screwing up the Confederacy. Declare against the Confederation an average of a war every 20 years for the most puerile pretexts. There comes a point where they practically forget the whole point of fighting against slavery and what they seek is pure land grabbing. But still the story tries to make me believe that the evil and aggressive country is the Confederacy.

And this happens in practically every TL: there is always a country that is constantly raging for a territory and declaring wars to try to recover it. And the people of that country continue to support this.

Nobody’s done timelines where the American Revolution succeeds but the French Revolution never moves beyond its constitutional stage, and French armies rampaging across Europe (and Egypt) for the next 2 decades isn’t a thing.

That said, I think it could be interesting to see a TL where China expands North and West onto the steppe and becomes absolutely huge.
Maybe that could be set in a TL where Russia ends up crushed by Poland-Lithuania/remains a bunch of squabbling principalities used as pawns by the Swedes, Poles/Lithuanians, and Turco-Mongols for their political games?

I think the fact there's always a China made up of Han people as the top dog of Asia(till the europeans show up) is something that always happens
Im considering featuring in one of the TLs Im working a Super Manchuria as the asian hegemon to change things quite a bit

mspence

Banned
Japan Empire wanks where the Empire survives under the Bushido code for the rest of the 20th century

American wanks where we basically control the entire Western Hemisphere

Soviet wanks that lead to a near global Soviet Empire

There are a lot of "wankers" out there

Also historical figures being written the way people want them to be instead of as they actually were, good or bad

Mexico wank, Santa Anna is the evil and cause of all of the problems of Mexico where they need to get rid of him just to make it better. Often times becoming a radical liberal paradise. Either republican or monarchial. I have mexico wanks with Santa Anna as unifying figure meanwhile let's his underlings do all work while he controls the from being to radical

Another trope that I do not like is that the US must always end up as the world’s superpower. It is totally possible for the US to instead end up as just one out of many great powers instead of the sole superpower by the present day.

I think with the ottomans it either is a sick man of Europe decline narrative or it’s a strong man of Europe over correction

there is a belief that if the ottomans just set up a democracy it would become a multi religious multi ethnic paradise and I just don’t buy that at all with a mid to late 19th or early 20th century POD, just looking at the Wikipedia list of massacres and rebellions that took place during this time will illustrate just how politically fractured and divided along ethnic lines the state actually was

I think with the ottomans it either is a sick man of Europe decline narrative or it’s a strong man of Europe over correction

there is a belief that if the ottomans just set up a democracy it would become a multi religious multi ethnic paradise and I just don’t buy that at all with a mid to late 19th or early 20th century POD, just looking at the Wikipedia list of massacres and rebellions that took place during this time will illustrate just how politically fractured and divided along ethnic lines the state actually was
Early 20th Cent POD? You're probably correct, the trajectory was largely set by then.... Mid-to-Late 19th POD, I'm not so sure....
Much of the horrible-ness that both befell the Ottomans, or was perpetrated under them, seems to have one common denominator - Abdul Hamid II.
Granted, he was a complex personality... a highly-cultured man, patron of the arts, who promoted education and sought to improve the God-awful national infrastructure... and who kicked off massacres which shocked and appalled the world.
And he reigned for over 30 years.....
I'd say that if a writer wanted to reverse the "sick man" narrative, that around 1876 would be a good place to start....

raharris1973

Gone Fishin'
It is an iron law of AH.com that no thread can discuss improving French performance at colonization during the Age of Discovery....
...without somebody invoking settling the Huguenots as the solution. Usually within the first five posts.

And maybe I'm misreading the intended tone, but I read it as if they're like "ooh, ooh, here's a genius idea nobody's thought of before..."

Catholic Frenchmen weep tears because no one respects them viable colonizers in english-language alternate history boards.

They say:

toujours la demoiselle d'honneur, jamais la mariée. Pourquoi! Pourquoi!

translation pours les anglais
: The French Catholics always left saying "Always the bridesmaid, never the bride! Why, why!?!"

I hand them a hankie to wipe away the tears.

Last edited: