What is a common thing or trope that always seem to happen?

I rarely see timelines where the US is either relegated to the East Coast or, at the very least, just does not reach the West Coast.
Preventing the USA from reaching the west coast is one thing, but relegating it to the east coast is another. The divergences necessary to achieve the latter would make it less likely for the USA to exist in the first place, and there are plenty of timelines where it doesn't exist.

If Germany is formed it's must be one of the best millitary power.

The Ottoman empire is a juggernaut but screwed on the long term, (even with a PoD from 1400) with heavy lose, however if they manage to survive until oil discoveries, it will then becoming a wealthy but corrupt nation.

British or the USA must rule the waves, (excepted if the country concerned by the PoD from the writer become the nation ruling the wave)
They're not a major focus but at least I avert the Ottoman thing in my King in Yellow TL. An alternate end to the Second Balkan War persuades them to remain neutral in World War I, while postwar attempts at multiethnic federalism inspired by an also surviving Austria-Hungary* succeed more or less, so in the wake of neutrality in the World War II analogue they're considered a stable and democratic Great Power into the modern day.

*With Italy and Greece in the Central Powers the Balkan theater is actually the most successful, with AH in a better shape in the aftermath than the Germans or Italians

Last edited:
Here's one: in a scenario where Germany isn't the villain of the 20th century it'll be the British, either as the belligerents in a world war or locked in a cold war with the US.

The number of people who still think Rommel was forced to work for the Nazis and that he would have turned against Hitler is too damn high!

Doesn't happen much in any of the stories I have read though as I aint into WW2 that much maybe thats why?
On top of my mind i can think of:

- Footprint of Mussolini
-As one star sets, another rises
-Austria never forget thy past
- Defying the storm

These are the first ones i can think of. I am sure i can find more examples if i try hard enough

Korea can either be colonized or stay feudal forever. It can never modernize on its own.
They probably would be more powerful than most Latin American countries (the ABC countries would be the exception) but it's unlikely they would have much ability to project that power. Most of the naval strength lay with the Union.

Argentina and Chile were maybe too small, but Mexico, Brazil and CSA had roughly the same population by the 1860's. In any case, the whole US only annexed Puerto Rico, so there's no reason CSA would manage to take Cuba away from Spain or subjugate Mexico.

One thing that caught my attention is how similar CSA and Brazil were about that time. Both had 9 million people (CSA 60% White, 40% Black; Brazil 35% White, 65% Mixed/Black). The number of slaves were much bigger in the CSA 30% as opposed to 15% in Brazil. Brazil was the last country in Americas to abolish slavery (1888), but they had enacted policies since the 1850's aiming to abolish it eventually whereas the CSA fought a horrible total war only to keep slavery intact.

The ending of slavery in Brazil marked the beginning of the Great European Immigration to the country, bringing the White share on population to rise from 37% in 1872 to peak at 60% in 1940, and decline afterwards. In the CSA, where slavery could go indefinitely, I believe European immigration would be pretty much restricted to Canada and the US, making its demographics to follow a different path.

Deleted member 139407

Preventing the USA from reaching the west coast is one thing, but relegating it to the east coast is another. The divergences necessary to achieve the latter would make it less likely for the USA to exist in the first place, and there are plenty of timelines where it doesn't exist.
Yeah, I get that. However have you seen a timeline set in the modern day where the United States does exist, has to contend with other emerging powers on the North American continent as an emerging power itself whose borders are small enough to still make it clear that it is the United States of America and not the United States of Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware and/or Maryland or any other collection of 4-5 states?

Last edited by a moderator:
Argentina and Chile were maybe too small, but Mexico, Brazil and CSA had roughly the same population by the 1860's. In any case, the whole US only annexed Puerto Rico, so there's no reason CSA would manage to take Cuba away from Spain or subjugate Mexico.
That's because of US war goals. If the US felt like annexing Cuba instead of making it a puppet state, they would have, just like the Philippines. If the CSA was so desperate for a Pacific Coast or an island to expand slavery on, they'd devote their national resources to it and probably succeed at significant cost and unpleasant economic side effects.
One thing that caught my attention is how similar CSA and Brazil were about that time. Both had 9 million people (CSA 60% White, 40% Black; Brazil 35% White, 65% Mixed/Black). The number of slaves were much bigger in the CSA 30% as opposed to 15% in Brazil. Brazil was the last country in Americas to abolish slavery (1888), but they had enacted policies since the 1850's aiming to abolish it eventually whereas the CSA fought a horrible total war only to keep slavery intact.
Similar, yes, though it wouldn't surprise me if the CSA was more industrialized and had higher literacy than most any Latin American country.

Here's one that is both a 'always happens' and a POD:

Carlos II being born healthier. Many, if not most, of the vocal folk treat this as ASB, no matter how often it is explained it is not.

edit: in the always happens dep't, many treat a OTL Carlos II being inevitable in a continued Habsburg Spain descending from that generation of Habsburgs. No matter if C2 is healthy, or not, a severely handicapped offspring is happening.

hmmm....I think I'll branch this into a new thread

Last edited:
That's because of US war goals. If the US felt like annexing Cuba instead of making it a puppet state, they would have, just like the Philippines. If the CSA was so desperate for a Pacific Coast or an island to expand slavery on, they'd devote their national resources to it and probably succeed at significant cost and unpleasant economic side effects.

Similar, yes, though it wouldn't surprise me if the CSA was more industrialized and had higher literacy than most any Latin American country.

The US had to defeat Spain and that's three decades after the Civil War to be in a place where they could annex Cuba. It's not like CSA could easily defeat Spain or occupy heavily populated Mexican lands. One would need a super wank timeline to make it happening.

About higher literacy, that changes over time. Industrialization either. It quicked in South America by the late 19th century only, spurred by the mass immigration from Europe. If CSA had embroiled with slavery, slave uprisings, hostility from most of the world, it's not a given they would necessarily be more powerful than the big Latin American countries.

Last edited:
The great conqueror gets sent into the past. This is true even if they were a fast food worker or a novelist or something completely unrelated to military skills.

A Wars of the Roses timeline results ins Yorkist Victory like 95% of the time. There have been great timelines with that happening, but like, changing it up with an alternative Lancastrian victory (Hollands or Beaufort or even main line Lancastrians getting the throne) every now and again wouldn’t hurt.

The great conqueror gets sent into the past. This is true even if they were a fast food worker or a novelist or something completely unrelated to military skills.
I parodied that in one of my timelines by making him just incredibly lucky and having no actual idea what he was doing.

The ending of slavery in Brazil marked the beginning of the Great European Immigration to the country, bringing the White share on population to rise from 37% in 1872 to peak at 60% in 1940, and decline afterwards. In the CSA, where slavery could go indefinitely, I believe European immigration would be pretty much restricted to Canada and the US, making its demographics to follow a different path.
The USA as a whole could have annexed a number of Central American and Caribbean countries. That didn't happen because of political decisions but the military capability was there and a number of those countries were occupied by American troops. I agree the CSA is unlikely to be able to project power to that degree though, particularly because it's unlikely they'll have a very good navy.