What if the Western Roman Empire outlasted the Byzantine Empire

For the sake of discussion, let's presume that after the Empire is split in two, that the Western Empire (I'll call it Rome and the east Byzantine) returned to worshipping their pantheon and was able to enact the necessary reforms to strengthen the army, secure it's borders, and reorganize it's government effectively. What would the result be if the Western Roman Empire outlasted it's Byzantine Eastern half?

For the sake of discussion, let's presume that after the Empire is split in two, that the Western Empire (I'll call it Rome and the east Byzantine) returned to worshipping their pantheon and was able to enact the necessary reforms to strengthen the army, secure it's borders, and reorganize it's government effectively. What would the result be if the Western Roman Empire outlasted it's Byzantine Eastern half?
This would almost have to be because of an Eastern disaster rather than Western success. The west just did not have the relatively defensible borders, strong institutions and relatively robust economy and tax base, and its hard to see any POD changing that after the foundation of Constantinople. . So the outcome almost certainly would be after about 500 AD or so neither state exists.

This would almost have to be because of an Eastern disaster rather than Western success. The west just did not have the relatively defensible borders, strong institutions and relatively robust economy and tax base, and its hard to see any POD changing that after the foundation of Constantinople. . So the outcome almost certainly would be after about 500 AD or so neither state exists.
I think Syagrius's state has a better chance of surviving with this POD.

You would need such an early PoD for this to happen that the division of the Empire was not even envisioned. Even if Christianism is (even partially) butterflied away, there were lot of other Eastern cults (Isis, Mithras, long etc.) that were already displacing the Roman pantheon long before Christianism was relevant (Pompeii had a big temple devoted to Isis cult when Christianism had not reached Italy yet) . Personally I don't think that the gradual abandonment of the Roman pantheon could be reversible after Caesar's era.

So, if the Eastern/Western division is already a thing, it is too late for the Roman pantheon to be revived (IOTL there were already many efforts to do so and all failed).

so post 395? ok my question is you how they convert back to paganisim if christianity has grow a lot and if they persecue the east would not take that lighly the other thing its really hard you only really have a small windon were Yazdegerd I, in the rule of Arcadius how ever this assures really nothing and later one persian would be to busy with the eastern nomads to do any large scale wars so its near imposible to have the empire collapse post 420 unless you have awful leadership (which the east not shortgage of in this century)

What about having the Western Romans retreat into modern Switzerland, northern Italy, Corsica, Sardinia, and/or Sicily? Switzerland becomes a mini-Empire that survives the 5th century and Plague of Justinian in good shape to rebuild somewhat as a shadow of her former self and saves much Roman knowledge that might otherwise be lost.

What about having the Western Romans retreat into modern Switzerland, northern Italy, Corsica, Sardinia, and/or Sicily? Switzerland becomes a mini-Empire that survives the 5th century and Plague of Justinian in good shape to rebuild somewhat as a shadow of her former self and saves much Roman knowledge that might otherwise be lost.
If they retain Northern Italy, they would retain Southern Italy as well.

A Western Roman Empire based in Spain has a lot of potential. It’s good land and it’s extremely defensible if managed well, being surrounded on three sides by water and by a mountain range on the other. If you can make a Tetrarchy-like arrangement work, in which Hispania is one of the major political centers, it could be possible for a Roman Hispania to sufficiently mature and consolidate enough to resist the Vandal invasion and pretty much anything else that is thrown at them, including the Arabic conquest if that still happens.

This is very hard to imagine. The only area capable of providing the money, manpower, legitimacy, etc. needed for a state to survive was modern-day Andalusia (e.g. the southern region of Roman Hispania). There is simply no comparing the West with the East: the former was generally unsettled, heavily rural, had little to no naval power to speak of, and comparatively lacked cosmopolitanism, as the Romans had set out quite viciously to suppress the only reasonably far-reaching institution there, Druidism. In comparison, the East had been built up by repeated Empires like the Seleucids, Ptolemies, Macedonians, Achaemenids, etc. It's position along the Silk Road also enabled it to reap benefits the Western portion of the state simply had no access to, while the existing of a relatively unified nobility gave the East a much stronger chance at survival than its Latin "counterpart".

Earlier HRE to protect the christian interest in western roman empire, but this time lead by the pope instead of HRE emperor because of that.

so post 395? ok my question is you how they convert back to paganisim if christianity has grow a lot and if they persecue the east would not take that lighly the other thing its really hard you only really have a small windon were Yazdegerd I, in the rule of Arcadius how ever this assures really nothing and later one persian would be to busy with the eastern nomads to do any large scale wars so its near imposible to have the empire collapse post 420 unless you have awful leadership (which the east not shortgage of in this century)

Well a non christian religion maybe possible but not the traditional Romano-Greek pantheon, One would need one of the Eastern or Egyptian cults to really succeed or reform to be more populist which was the problem with Mithrasim (too exclusive, too male, too military) .