What if the US had co presidents from 1981 forward ?

MaxGerke01

Banned
So in 1980 former President Gerald Ford (R) not only wanted to be on the ticket with Ronald Reagan he wanted the office of vice president to be essentially elevated to co president. Reagan obviously didnt accept and went with George HW Bush,However what if he had accepted Fords offer ? From that point forward the US had a co presidency in action if not in law.Would there have been a constitutional amendment to codify this into law ?How would it have played out ? Ford clearly thought he had the bigger chops to be president than Reagan so would it always be clear to the public who the "real" or "main " president was ? Does this change speed up the first non white or female president ?

So in 1980 former President Gerald Ford (R) not only wanted to be on the ticket with Ronald Reagan he wanted the office of vice president to be essentially elevated to co president. Reagan obviously didnt accept and went with George HW Bush,However what if he had accepted Fords offer ? From that point forward the US had a co presidency in action if not in law.Would there have been a constitutional amendment to codify this into law ?How would it have played out ? Ford clearly thought he had the bigger chops to be president than Reagan so would it always be clear to the public who the "real" or "main " president was ? Does this change speed up the first non white or female president ?
Excellent post!

Reading through the article, it says that Ford wanted to deal with foreign policy, while leaving domestic policy to Reagan, which considering Reagan’s escalations with the USSR during his first term… would be a good idea. If it were just this, there wouldn’t need to be a law or anything of the sort to establish this, it would just sorta happen, with Ford being able to succeed Reagan once his two terms are up.

If this were to become a theme in American politics, I don’t think you’d see other former presidents join up on the tickets of new candidates, so I think that discussion can be put aside. If anything, the more realistic outcome is that the Presidency is then made into a domestic policy position, while the Vice Presidency is turned into a foreign policy position with the Vice President basically becoming America’s top ambassador, which would lead to 1) more attention placed on VP candidates, and 2) the selection of VP candidates with ambassadorial/foreign policy experience, so possibly we might actually get Condolezza Rice or John Huntsman as a serious contenders for the VP slot, and the Senate Foreign Affairs Committee might be seen as a pool of candidates for the VP slot as well.

There is a bit of precedent, both past, and semi-recent of the VP slowly transforming their role from one of just “President of the Senate” to the second in command, especially under Cheney, though LBJ did as well, like when he tried to transfer the authority of Senate Majority leader to himself when he became president since the position made him President of the Senate.

In more recent terms, (not to get too much into current politics) but there were reports back when Trump won the 2016 primary that he offered John Kasich the VP slot, and would allow him to handle domestic and foreign policy (so basically be President), and that he would just give rallies for the 4 years, which of course, Kasich refused.

That wouldn’t have required a law, since technically the President can hand over as much authority to the Vice President (or the Cabinet) as they want as long as it’s their signature on the Executive Orders, and on the pieces of legislation, as well as his signing off on military orders.

After reading the attached article, I don't believe that there's any real law against having a former president serve as a vice-president in a later administration, but it's more a matter of pride because once you've been president, who'd want to essentially accept a "demotion" to vice-president, who's only real power is to be the Senate tiebreaker and take over if the current president dies or resigns. Basically I feel that if you want a co-presidency, you're going to have to go back to the Constitutional Convention and have it written in then, i.e. the two kings of Sparta.

BTW I believe that the closest America has ever come to having a co-president was when Robert Kennedy during brother John Kennedy's administration

After reading the attached article, I don't believe that there's any real law against having a former president serve as a vice-president in a later administration, but it's more a matter of pride because once you've been president, who'd want to essentially accept a "demotion" to vice-president, who's only real power is to be the Senate tiebreaker and take over if the current president dies or resigns. Basically I feel that if you want a co-presidency, you're going to have to go back to the Constitutional Convention and have it written in then, i.e. the two kings of Sparta.
Or the two Consuls of the Roman Republic.

MaxGerke01

Banned
Or the two Consuls of the Roman Republic.
Wonder if they would refit the podium in the House chamber to have only the House Speaker sitting with the President and Vice President standing in front ? Also would the official portrait include both ?How would Supreme Court nominations be handled ?

After reading the attached article, I don't believe that there's any real law against having a former president serve as a vice-president in a later administration...
How would this work given term limits? Surely if an ex-president become VP, in theory, it's a way to bypass term limits - be 2nd on the ticket and then take over after the top of the ticket resigns.
I could see a popular president being 'elected' in this way (or at least trying).

Nephi

Banned
How would this work given term limits? Surely if an ex-president become VP, in theory, it's a way to bypass term limits - be 2nd on the ticket and then take over after the top of the ticket resigns.
I could see a popular president being 'elected' in this way (or at least trying).

Trump_2.PunkIPA-1024x682.jpg

If this had happened, I don't think the trend would have persisted past Reagan/Ford. The type of person who becomes President typically wouldn't be willing to share power/the spotlight like that, and since the Constitution and the laws vest the formal powers of the executive branch in the President, the Vice President won't have any more authority than the President decides to grant them. The only way a co-Presidency would work was if the President were in some way politically beholden to their Vice-President, which Ford presumably thought Reagan would be.

To my understanding that wouldn’t really be the case here. There’s no discussion of resignation, especially since the actual president wouldn’t like it, and the American public would find it weird.

It would work with the 22nd amendment though as there’s no term limits on Vice-Presidents, and the amemend only says that they can’t be elected (I assume specifically to cover the case of a two-term President running as VP, and if the President is assassinated, to not have to mess with succession.

Still, to my understanding, the article only talked about Reagan having domestic policy and Ford having foreign policy, so it could work in a system where Presidents viewed their running mates as equals.

Presidents rarely ever maintain such a rating. especially in recent memory. Something as general as popularity can not be judged by pols alone.
Literally every President before the current and the previous one had pretty long, decent periods where they were above 50%.

Sure, some of it can be chalked up to political polarization, but it also reflects how divisive the former was, and ineffective the current one is. (That’s as far as I’ll go before this thread gets locked for current politics).