What if the UEFA European Football Championship (Euros) Never Expanded Past Eight Teams?

The first official competition for European football (soccer) teams was played in 1960, with four participating teams. This format remained unchanged for 20 years until the 1980 Euros, where twice as many nations played. This lasted for 12 additional years, but from 1996 onward, 16 and later 24 teams would come to play at the Euros. But what if the expansion never occurred? Finding a "good" reason for UEFA not to expand it (from their point of view) is nearly impossible, but this TL is more about examining how these hypothetical tournaments would pan out. I'm too unfamiliar with how the AH Wiki works to use it in my first thread. But I will surely start using it once I get the hang of it. If you know any good guides for football Wiki AH specifically, please let me know.

Methodology
When it comes to determining who qualifies, I will include the seven best-performing teams in the qualification in OTL plus the host who automatically qualifies as the top seed. Group winners will always be prioritized in qualification, even if runners-up have more points. Arguably unfair, but it's how UEFA usually conducts this. In cases where a qualification group(s) have more teams than another, results against the bigger group's bottom-placed team will not be taken into account. If you think this is unfair, blame UEFA, because it's how they do it. Co-hosts are not a thing ITL, since it's unlikely UEFA would ever use that as a concept of an international tournament with just eight teams. In these cases, I will use one of the co-hosts from OTL as a single host ITL, based on probability. This means that Euro 2000, hosted by the Netherlands and Belgium in OTL, would just be hosted by the Netherlands ITL. The group stage draws will be conducted in accordance with how UEFA does it, but with fewer balls and more randomly generated numbers. When it comes to predicting scorelines, results in OTL will always have priority. In other cases, it will be based on team's recent competitive performances and the overall quality of the squad.

UEFA Euro 1996 With Eight Teams
Teams are (un)seeded based on how they would have been (un)seeded in OTL.

Seeded
  • England (Hosts)
  • Spain
Unseeded (alphabetical order)
  • Croatia
  • Czech Republic
  • Germany
  • Portugal
  • Russia
  • Switzerland
Group Stage
Group A
Euro 1996 Group A.png

England 1-1 Switzerland
Croatia 0-3 Portugal
England 2-0 Croatia
Switzerland 0-1 Portugal
Portugal 0-1 England
Switzerland 0-1 Croatia

Group B
Euro 1996 Group B.png

Spain 1-2 Czech Republic
Russia 0-3 Germany
Spain 2-1 Russia
Czech Republic 0-2 Germany
Germany 1-1 Spain
Czech Republic 3-3 Russia

Knockout Stage
Euro 1996 knockout.png

Thank you for reading. I hope my humble first thread was enjoyable. Once again, as I learn the Wiki, I will try to make it more visually appealing. Thanks for understanding. I plan on doing this TL up to and including Euro 2020, and I have three bigger ATL's planned for the future. But first things first.

Last edited:
Money: That is the reason for the expansion of UEFA with the explosion of money for Television rights, and once that happens there is no way to stop that.
Look at other professional and international sport organizations and see what they are doing now, MLB has a one game Wild Card playoff followed by three rounds of playoff series in order to win the championship, the NFL is always talking about expanding their playoffs, in College Football their is pressure to expand the playoffs.
As for international sports FIFA is expanding the number of teams in the 2026 World Cup and is having three nations hosting them.
The IOC is expanding the number of sports played and the opportunity for women to compete in current sports that they are not allowed to at this moment.
The reason for all of this is Television money and that is something that can't be stopped unless there is a catastrophic economic situation that makes The Great Depression seem like the Gilded Age.

Money: That is the reason for the expansion of UEFA with the explosion of money for Television rights, and once that happens there is no way to stop that.
Look at other professional and international sport organizations and see what they are doing now, MLB has a one game Wild Card playoff followed by three rounds of playoff series in order to win the championship, the NFL is always talking about expanding their playoffs, in College Football their is pressure to expand the playoffs.
As for international sports FIFA is expanding the number of teams in the 2026 World Cup and is having three nations hosting them.
The IOC is expanding the number of sports played and the opportunity for women to compete in current sports that they are not allowed to at this moment.
The reason for all of this is Television money and that is something that can't be stopped unless there is a catastrophic economic situation that makes The Great Depression seem like the Gilded Age.
Yes, definitely. Hence why this AH scenario is improbable, but it's still interesting to see how these hypothetical tournaments would pan out.

Coulsdon Eagle

Monthly Donor
With the break-up of Yugoslavia and the USSR there are suddenly 50+ teams within UEFA. A growth was inevitable aside from chasing the almighty $$$ from TV.

How would Euro 2000 go? This tournament in particular would be super competitive if there are only eight sides. They had some incredibly strong teams that year in France, Portugal, the Netherlands and Italy, so half the tournament would have very high quality squads.

How would Euro 2000 go? This tournament in particular would be super competitive if there are only eight sides. They had some incredibly strong teams that year in France, Portugal, the Netherlands and Italy, so half the tournament would have very high quality squads.
Spoiler alert since I plan on covering it in greater detail later:
Yes, it would be really interesting. Believe it or not, many of those "usual suspects" would not even manage to reach the tournament.
The following teams would qualify:
  1. Netherlands (Hosts)
  2. Germany
  3. Spain
  4. Romania
  5. Norway
  6. Sweden
  7. Czech Republic
  8. FR Yugoslavia

The Netherlands win it all and the Czech Republic tragically lose two consecutive Euro finals. The losing semi-finalists are Romania and Spain.

Here is part two of my so-called minimalist Euro timeline. Now with Wiki ¨"mastery", largely thanks to QTXAdsy. His advice was very helpful.

If you need a reminder of the methodology, please scroll up and read my original post.
It's especially relevant now since many strong teams shockingly failed to qualify and I don't want you to think this ATL tournament is too farfetched.

UEFA Euro 2000 With Eight Teams
The Netherlands has been made sole hosts over Belgium, since I think they'd be the preferred candidate ITL.
Teams are seeded based on how they would have been seeded in OTL. In this case, based on the teams' UEFA coefficient at the end of 1999.
The likes of Italy, France, and Portugal shockingly failed to qualify ITL.

Qualified teams
  1. Netherlands (hosts)​
  2. Germany (defending champions)​
  3. Spain (highest coefficient)​
  4. Romania​
  5. Norway​
  6. Sweden​
  7. Czech Republic​
  8. FR Yugoslavia​
Group Stage
Group A
Crazy tiebreakers, but I have made sure it's correct.

Crazy tiebreakers, but I have made sure they are correct.

Matches
Netherlands 1-0 Spain
Norway 0-1 FR Yugoslavia
Netherlands 1-0 Norway
Spain 4-3 FR Yugoslavia
FR Yugoslavia 1-6 Netherlands
Spain 0-1 Norway

Group B
Euro 2000 Group B.png

Matches
Germany 1-1 Romania
Sweden 1-2 Czech Republic
Germany 0-0 Sweden
Romania 2-2 Czech Republic
Czech Republic 1-1 Germany
Romania 1-1 Sweden

Knockout Stage
Euro 2000 knockout.png

The Netherlands secure their second Euro title and the Czech Republic tragically lose two consecutive finals.

Thank you for reading part two of my first ATL. I hope you enjoyed it! Let me know if you have any questions.
And once again, thanks to QTXAdsy for helping me learn Wiki coding.