What if the U.S.S Liberty was sunk?

I just found a brief right-wing conspiracy theory that states the attack on the U.S.S. Liberty was not masterminded by the Israeli government or Zionists, but by LBJ himself, intent on concocting another Gulf of Tonkin incident, leading to massive US intervention in the Middle East. In this scenario Israel is merely a partner, not the one behind the conspiracy. However the Liberty didn't actually sink, so the plan failed.

Not to give credence to this theory- even if the ship was sunk with no survivors, how would they be able to hide who did it? but if the ship had been lost, what would the consequences be? What would be the response from LBJ?

Does sinking a ship somehow cross a psychological threshold that isn't crossed by killing dozens of the sailors on board? Or is the idea that the sinking leads to a far higher body count, and this prompts more outrage?

Honestly, if LBJ didn't care enough to make a huge deal of the OTL attack, I don't think he'd make a big deal of any sinking. And if the administration doesn't make a big deal of it, I wouldn't expect the public to do so on their own.