What if the MiG-25 was made of titanium?

I think just 55 mig25 bm and none operational by 1983 when Cold War was at its height
Anyway how about a ECMversion just equipped with jamming equipment like yak28pp and the ECM version of su24 ?
You got a source for that? Because Airvectors says around 100. And still doesn't address my point that a wide array of Soviet strike aircraft could be tasked with the job; the Kh-58 and Kh-31 are both launchable by the Su-24 and Su-25. And for high-value targets the Tu-16 and Tu-22M could also conduct anti-radar strikes.

A jammer version was tested but not proceeded with due to lack of resources. And with that in mind more Su-24MPs make more sense.

You got a source for that? Because Airvectors says around 100. And still doesn't address my point that a wide array of Soviet strike aircraft could be tasked with the job; the Kh-58 and Kh-31 are both launchable by the Su-24 and Su-25. And for high-value targets the Tu-16 and Tu-22M could also conduct anti-radar strikes.

A jammer version was tested but not proceeded with due to lack of resources. And with that in mind more Su-24MPs make more sense.
Even less this source says 40

kh31 is operational when Cold War almost over
Most of the war they have the bulky AS9 a large aircraft like mig25 can carry atleast 2

Tu16 is a carrier sure but most if not all would be carrying the much needed AS2/5/6
Tu22 maybe some missile carriers were available
Tu22M very rare in early 80s

Last edited:
Fair enough. Might only be 40.

Still doesn't take away the point of all the other tactical platforms capable of doing the job.
I agree there were others like even su17UG I think a two seater which some were speacialized for SEAD
But SU15U and Mig25PU were capable aircraft and keeping them non combat capable seems like a waste maybe not in peace time ( as they probably saved the single seaters from wear and tear while providing valuable flight time to pilots) but definitely in wartime they could have been given a secondary combat capability ( like mig21/23/29 trainer variant s)

I agree there were others like even su17UG I think a two seater which some were speacialized for SEAD
But SU15U and Mig25PU were capable aircraft and keeping them non combat capable seems like a waste maybe not in peace time ( as they probably saved the single seaters from wear and tear while providing valuable flight time to pilots) but definitely in wartime they could have been given a secondary combat capability ( like mig21/23/29 trainer variant s)
In wartime you still need training aircraft. In fact, you need more training aircraft since you need to train more pilots. And you're going to have to dedicate airframes to the task anyway, whether they're combat-capable or not is IMO irrelevant.

In wartime you still need training aircraft. In fact, you need more training aircraft since you need to train more pilots. And you're going to have to dedicate airframes to the task anyway, whether they're combat-capable or not is IMO irrelevant.
True But is there any kind of combat mission you think a mig25PU can perform without significant modifications?

True But is there any kind of combat mission you think a mig25PU can perform without significant modifications?
Perhaps a tactical tanker? It has the speed and stores attachments; a suitably-designed belly tank could allow for fuel transfer. Other than that any other role requires a lot of modification to fit the equipment.

Perhaps a tactical tanker? It has the speed and stores attachments; a suitably-designed belly tank could allow for fuel transfer. Other than that any other role requires a lot of modification to fit the equipment.
Even like IR homing weapons like R40T and R60 ? Some sources list those as weapon options

Assuming the Soviets can work titanium in an aircraft, apparently it was very difficult to build the SR71, it was likely so expensive that they'd only build a hundred or so and they'd be used for different roles; more recce and less interceptor.
Working titanium is, and was more, tricky. Also the weight savings wouldn't be that dramatic, the density of titanium is only ~40% less and wouldn't effect other components.

I think even mig25 of OTL would be sufficient to deal with F4E
Soviet doctrine is not same as that of western airforces even if they had su27 by 1980 in sufficient numbers it still would not have been a soviet F15 , just a more maneuverable long legged interceptor
The IAF found Phantoms useless to try and intercept recon MiG-25s.

Even the basic mig23BN and mig27 can carry R60 so I’m assuming it’s not too much effort
The MiG-23BN and MiG-27 had fairly sophisticated avionics systems, with a full nav-attack system. They are in no way comparable to the non-combat capable MiG-25PU.

But not designed for air to air modes
Presumably the R-60 was self-guiding like the Sidewinder/K-13. But even those missiles needed to be wired into the plane's combat systems, at the very least for the distinctive "growl" made when the missile locked onto the target. And given the narrow viewing angles of these early IR missiles something like a gunsight - which the attack Floggers had and the MiG-25PU didn't, are very much a necessity to properly use the missiles.