What If: The British Empire decided not to bow down to American whims and dissolve?

No really, that's my question. The Great and Mighty British Empire tells the Yanks to go f*ck themselves.

Tripolar cold war maybe? Discuss, I want opinions and to learn simultaneously.

Riain

Banned
The Empire would have to evolve into something other than an empire if it is to survive and would require the cooperation of the former colonies/possession. I'd suggest Britain could push the benefits of military and economic partnerships in order to limit the heavy hand of the Soviets and Americans on their countries, British help coming with less strings attached and having the benefit of intertia.

shiftygiant

Gone Fishin'
If Britain tells America to fuck themselves, the British Empire still collapses and dissolves because America isn't what killed it.

When Ireland left, the Empire entered a terminal decline, which was hastened by India's exit. A wider phase of decolonisation followed these two events, with the Commonwealth of Nations formed to facilitate decolonisation but also keep the newly independent countries close to the UK. America's rise as a world power, whilst a contributing factor (replacing Britain as the major economic and industrial power following the First World War when, ironically, the British Empire reached its furthest extent), Britain didn't "bow down", but instead the economic and political damage of the First and Second World Wars saw the rise of successful independence movements as Britain's prestige, influence, and confidence on the world stage took a metaphorical axe blow.

That said, had Britain told America to shove off, Britain would have entered the EEC sooner (no close relationship with America means that de Gaulle won't see Britain as the backdoor for America to get in), which only means that the Empire dissolves quicker as Britain moves into a closer bond with Europe and is less reliant on the wider Commonwealth.

What Great and Mighty British Empire is that?

"The British Empire comprised the dominions, colonies, protectorates, mandates and other territories ruled or administered by the United Kingdom and its predecessor states. It originated with the overseas possessions and trading posts established by England between the late 16th and early 18th centuries. At its height, it was the largest empire in history and, for over a century, was the foremost global power.[1] By 1913, the British Empire held sway over 412 million people, 23% of the world population at the time,[2] and by 1920, it covered 35,500,000 km2 (13,700,000 sq mi),[3] 24% of the Earth's total land area.[4] As a result, its political, legal, linguistic and cultural legacy is widespread. At the peak of its power, the phrase "the empire on which the sun never sets" was often used to describe the British Empire, because its expanse around the globe meant that the sun was always shining on at least one of its territories"

Happy to help - although I was surprised you didn't know :angel:

No really, that's my question. The Great and Mighty British Empire tells the Yanks to go f*ck themselves.

It was economically impossible for britain to keep it's empire after WWII, the best they could do was to try to save more territories than OTL, like Malta, Singapore, and with luck maybe Ceylon

Forget what London says to us, I'm dying to hear what the OP thinks they should have done about India.

Forget what London says to us, I'm dying to hear what the OP thinks they should have done about India.
As do I
I have a great fondness for the BE ,my family served it for generations in one form or another,and who does not want to recall a time when your country could take on the next two most powerful nations, curb stomp them and return to tea?
But the empire began a slow decline before ww1 and accelerated thereafter.
By 1945 there was not the will or more importantly the money to continue.
Many years ago I did a timeline for the late sergeant Heretic where the BE federated in the early 1900's ...thats probably your best chance to have London to be in place where it has the power to do as you wish.
Regards
Hugh

One POD could be 1931. The British decide not to give back Weihaiwei to China. That was the very first step towards decolonisation.

"Not a lot of people know that" (M. Micklewhite).

One POD could be 1931. The British decide not to give back Weihaiwei to China. That was the very first step towards decolonisation.

How would that deter, say, the Indian independence movement?

shiftygiant

Gone Fishin'

The empire is already dying. Ireland has gone, the Indian Independence Movement is growing its muscles, holding a bit of China isn't going to help and will only make the eventual withdrawal all the more painful.

marathag

Banned
Hah!
That's it, Great Britain joins the Axis. Thar's sure to keep the lid on those ungrateful Colonies and Dominions :cool:

Hah!
That's it, Great Britain joins the Axis. Thar's sure to keep the lid on those ungrateful Colonies and Dominions :cool:

Well, it's not like siding with Japan again wouldn't provoke the US, cause Canada, Australia, and New Zealand to bolt, and wind up with this appearing in Trafalgar Square:

upload_2017-2-4_20-19-44.jpeg

Nah, nothing wrong with this plan.

Deleted member 97083

Well, it's not like siding with Japan again wouldn't provoke the US, cause Canada, Australia, and New Zealand to bolt, and wind up with this appearing in Trafalgar Square:

Nah, nothing wrong with this plan.
If Britain had joined the Axis, the Axis wouldn't have allied with Japan.

But Britain never would have joined the Axis anyway.

If Britain had joined the Axis, the Axis wouldn't have allied with Japan.

But Britain never would have joined the Axis anyway.

Well, yes, the rationale behind that is hard enough to parse out that trying to figure out the "logical" consequences is a bit hard. If they side with Hitler, then that must mean against the Soviets, then decide which of China or Japan is a better ally against Russia, and now I'm all discombobulated. I guess maybe they side with Chiang, Japan cozies up to Russia, and either the RN stops the Japanese attack on China or else America does so. This is all very complicated and weird, and still doesn't keep the Indians down.

I would imagine the American response would go something like this.

Generic United States President said:
Nice pound sterling you got there. Be a shame if something bad happened to it