What If: The British Empire decided not to bow down to American whims and dissolve?

The German also pursuit an aggressive colonial policy to support their economy via new markets. Worse, they also had a dream of a place in the sun.

And? Seems like diplomacy was handling that alright, given the Germans backed down in Morocco and there wasn't much planet left to take.

Well, I Did Write...

...The 'You Cannot Be Serious!' TL in which the former Colonies force the Re-Formation of the British Empire. Another joke that backfired on me. The Canadians, Africans and Indians, found it particularly useful...

...Maybe a rewrite is needed After Trump and Brexit? It could make the notion attractive, even if the XL pipeline is built...

...But on which side of the road would Canadians drive? Is puzzlement...

The German also pursuit an aggressive colonial policy to support their economy via new markets. Worse, they also had a dream of a place in the sun.
Yup, that scary sausage factory certainly was a menace!

Well, I'm pretty sure the Germans don't ;)

Maybe there's Kaiserreich nostalgia?
Cant speak for other Germans. But I am guilty of this. Well, its not really nostalgia, let me explain: Its the feeling of loss for your quirky grandpa who died some years ago. You remember his weird habits with a smile, but if you look closer this smile vanishes and is replaced by something more critical. But nevertheless...he was your grandpa.

No really, that's my question. The Great and Mighty British Empire tells the Yanks to go f*ck themselves.

Tripolar cold war maybe? Discuss, I want opinions and to learn simultaneously.

Look at what happened when Britain acted against American interests in the Suez Crisis. Eisenhower used economic and political pressure to force Britain and her allies to give up and withdraw from Egypt. Britain was in no position after two World Wars and Lend Lease to oppose America.

How would that deter, say, the Indian independence movement?

It wouldn't in the slightest. Weihaiwei was simply the turning of the tide of empire: the first colonial outpost to be given back to its original owners. Just an interesting bit of trivia that the flag was taken down there first.

It might be worth noting that the French Empire, of which the US broadly approved and even spent money and equipment propping up the French position in Indo-China, also faded rapidly. This might suggest as pointed out above that Empires were no longer paying their way by the post World War 2 period.