What if Tarriffs to Protect the US Manufacturing Base Were Imposed in the 60s/70s?

kernals12

Banned
What do the examples in the final sentence have to do with wages? The graphs could show the top 20/30 percent getting a pay bump while the bottom 80/70 don't see a big pay bump. I found a FRED graph that could account for this a bit more.
U.S._Hourly_Wages_-_Real_or_Adjusted_for_Inflation_1964-2014.png

Also found a median income graph
chartoftheday_8774_real_median_household_income_in_the_united_states_n.jpg
Way to ignore absolutely everything I said in that post. And how could we possibly pay for all that stuff I listed if our real wages hadn't increased?

To address your 2 charts:
The consumer price index consistently overstates inflation rates because of substitution bias whereby people change their buying habits in response to changes in relative prices, for instance buying more apples when the price of oranges goes up. Therefore, it understates real income growth.

The series on wages of production and nonsupervisory employees suffers because it ignores fringe benefits and the question of who falls into the category of "production and nonsupervisory employees" is vague and creates measurement problems.

Median household income data doesn't account for shrinking household sizes and as the Brookings Institution showed, since 2005, the census' income data has grown slower than the obviously more accurate tax return data collected by the Bureau of Economic Analysis
Dm50hcXXcAIZoIA.jpg

Lastly, this claim about stagnant wages implies that we could raise incomes by 80% overnight just through redistribution. As they say, if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Last edited:

marathag

Banned
I wonder why people never contrast and compare the American industrial experience to the German one. The latter somehow managed to thrive, while the US suffered - and it had little to do with tariffs for Germany, a lot to do with a leadership that made an active commitment, a national industrial policy if you will.
One difference, is that from the onset of the NLRB with FDR, Union/Management relations were set to be adversarial from the way the regulations were setup.

In Germany, Unions and Management both had the goal of making the Company do better together, and not just screwing over the other side, as in the US

Marc

Donor
There are a few reasons for this. First and foremost, industry is a particular point of pride for Germany and it was made a national policy, backed across the then-viable political spectrum there (CDU/CSU, FDP and SPD, to maintain a strong competitive position for German industry. Second, unionization in Germany is far different and much more cooperative in its nature. This makes adjustments to things a bit easier and less acrimonious than in the US. German industrial workers are among the world's best paid; management accepts this as part of the social contract and necessary to maintain high quality. Management attitudes in the US are a bit different and deindustrialization was accompanied, not coincidentally in my opinion, by deunionization throughout the 1980s. This is one reason US manufacturing moved into the Sun Belt -- these were so-called "right to work" states that banned the closed union shop. The other aspect of difference was that German industry had become a major exporter while the US had difficulty exporting US cars and consumer goods due to competition from other nations with lower costs, perceived quality issues and, in some cases, yes, tariffs that priced American goods out of reach. For Germany, this support for exports was necessary, but it was considered less important in the US, which still had the advantage of being the global reserve currency and thus was better able to run a balance of payments deficit. The US balance of payments deficit turned sharply negative in the 1980s and has been negative ever since.

Very good summary.
I would add that Germany, like Japan, moved up the value/sophistication chain very adroitly and consistently. Then, that is mostly true as well for much of the rest of North and Central Europe - Besides Germany, add Switzerland, The Netherlands, and Scandinavia to the list of modern countries that managed to maintain their manufacturing sector.
Italy now is an odd case: 2nd largest manufacturer in Europe, on the leading edge in various fields such as metallurgicals to pharmaceuticals. You might say successful almost in spite of their political culture and centuries old corruption. Then, Italian industrial companies seem to have a natural ease of adaptation and fluidity- especially the quite large number of them that are small to medium sized family-owned operations.

Last edited:
Way to ignore absolutely everything I said in that post. And how could we possibly pay for all that stuff I listed if our real wages hadn't increased?

Where'd I say real wages haven't increased?
You said that
Also, the "wages being the same as in 1970" story is very difficult to square with physical measures of affluence. Our homes are bigger than ever, we spend more money at restaurants than at grocery stores, and we use 50% more electricity on a per person basis than in 1970 despite quantum leaps in energy efficiency.

and I asked what that has to do with wages (maybe a better way to phrase it would be aren't there better metrics to prove your claim like real wages).
To address your 2 charts:
The consumer price index consistently overstates inflation rates because of substitution bias whereby people change their buying habits in response to changes in relative prices, for instance buying more apples when the price of oranges goes up. Therefore, it understates real income growth.

The series on wages of production and nonsupervisory employees suffers because it ignores fringe benefits and the question of who falls into the category of "production and nonsupervisory employees" is vague and creates measurement problems.

Median household income data doesn't account for shrinking household sizes and as the Brookings Institution showed, since 2005, the census' income data has grown slower than the obviously more accurate tax return data collected by the Bureau of Economic Analysis
Dm50hcXXcAIZoIA.jpg

Lastly, this claim about stagnant wages implies that we could raise incomes by 80% overnight just through redistribution. As they say, if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

According to FRED, they define it as
Production and related employees include working supervisors and all nonsupervisory employees (including group leaders and trainees) engaged in fabricating, processing, assembling, inspecting, receiving, storing, handling, packing, warehousing, shipping, trucking, hauling, maintenance, repair, janitorial, guard services, product development, auxiliary production for plant's own use (for example, power plant), recordkeeping, and other services closely associated with the above production operations.
Nonsupervisory employees include those individuals in private, service-providing industries who are not above the working-supervisor level. This group includes individuals such as office and clerical workers, repairers, salespersons, operators, drivers, physicians, lawyers, accountants, nurses, social workers, research aides, teachers, drafters, photographers, beauticians, musicians, restaurant workers, custodial workers, attendants, line installers and repairers, laborers, janitors, guards, and other employees at similar occupational levels whose services are closely associated with those of the employees listed

You are right on the shrinking households:

Also, I never implied that we should/could raise incomes by simply giving money to the lower class taken from the upper class.

kernals12

Banned
Where'd I say real wages haven't increased?
You said that

and I asked what that has to do with wages (maybe a better way to phrase it would be aren't there better metrics to prove your claim like real wages).

According to FRED, they define it as

You are right on the shrinking households:

Also, I never implied that we should/could raise incomes by simply giving money to the lower class taken from the upper class.
Well, if wages were flat but production was rising, all that money would have to go somewhere.

And I did include real wages in my chart, more accurately, real compensation.

There are two ugly theoretical issues being swept under the carpet here, both revolving around utility preference. Neither particularly on topic as regards tarriffs.

With regards to Gini income inequality, whether you prefer an unequal or an equal society, the scale of analysis of talking about societies obscures the communities and life histories of workers. Namely, it is fallacious to conduct an analysis at the level of the system, when community and individual trajectories matter to the actually living subjects. You can escape this fallacy by abandoning any pretention of speaking about the interests of working people, however, a similar analysis happens in relation to capital. System wide analyses of capital obscure the preferences of individual agents: perhaps firm X would be quite happy to emiserate firm Y. This is normally considered to be an essential element of a freer capitalist market. If you want to make an argument about some competitive strategies being "cheating", then that's a preference argument, and if you choose to argue that system wide effects should dictate which preferences are enshrined then you are being dictatorial. Slight contradiction in defending money preference through dictatorship but…

Secondly with regards to workers' preferences about whether they would enjoy having their life trajectories radically disrupted, their communities as unemployed slums, the substance abuses of meaninglessness, the evaporation of their unions and the great (potentially impossible) task of unionising new industrial sectors… these preferences are not ranked order utility money preferences. Ranked order utility money preference is an academic assumption used to simplify analysis in marginalist economics. It is, frankly, the field specifying assumption that leaves economics divorced from the intractable problem of real utility preferences, and from the problem of "value" that plagued political economics, and is the chief point of attack made on that important 19th and 20th century critique of political economy. This is important because who gets what money legitimises or delegitimises preferences into ranked order preferences. It is also important because who gets what money, admittedly through various long social and cultural percolations, legitimises or delegitimises burning the local policemen and occupation of factories under workers control.

Who gets what money is also important because rational market preferences by workers means that they will "always" find something else to do with their labour if they're unemployed, including destroying it. Saying that dislocated workers and communities will "find something else" is necessarily a truism. Whether they rank order prefer that something else is also necessarily a truism: they choose to do that, whether it is burger flipping, unemployment or suicide. Whether they actually prefer that something else is unanswerable in economics (field specifying assumption, remember), and so we have to have recourse to politics, sociology, political economy, etc. Using economics to claim that a marginal economic preference is indicative of a political compromise is bad argument. Finally, in relation to wage statistics, the real wage is comprised of an arbitrary consumption bundle, and necessarily so unless you want to attempt a Marxist value flow analysis over time.*1 This real consumption bundle isn't a ranked order preference scheme, but an arbitrary and politically constructed bundle of consumption: again, a dictated account and thus necessarily political.

And for the posters defending free trade, remember that justifying free trade is a political issue. If you are continually resorting to system wide analyses without looking at sector, firm, community or individual worker ranked order and political preferences then you are attempting to dictate a political choice through a fallacious argument. The point of economics is to present free trade or tarriffs as an argument specifying what has or will happen, and leave the preference as to the desirability up to others. And failing to present smaller levels of analysis is invidious. Whether I ought to be free to beggar my neighbour or myself is a political question, even if we can demonstrate that the effects of a tarriff is that I necessarily do so.*2

yours,
Sam R.

*1 This universally results in emiseration, and the political importance of rates of emiseration plus the difficulty of compiling the statistic, the availability of simpler measures (total wages versus market cap + government spend; rates of unionisation) means for the political questions asked there's little reason to compile such. Also it informs workers how to manage capital, whereas bundle based income inflation measures inform capital how to manage labour.
*2 You can tell that I have a political position here on the beggaring others, but it certainly isn't free trade or tarriffs.

elkarlo

Banned
±

This, though I'll have to add the proviso that this pattern of free trade and currency floating really only works in a somewhat stable and secure global financial-commercial environment. A US adopting a Protectionist stance is one in which Breton Woods is likely starting to wane, and the knock on effects from that have a very real chance of shifting the global business climate to one where a merchantilist approach makes more sense.

Free Trade is a great game so long as everybody is playing by it's rules. The larger share of the game is "cheating",though, the less benefical it becomes to those still trying to play fair until it's effectively penalizing
There in lies the problem. If other places have terrible wages and conditions, how can US workers compete?
What would need to be done woukd be tariff any country that doesn't meet something close to Us working and later environmental standards.
Otherwise as you said you're playing against cheaters

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
Presumably. Here are some facts based upon my life experience and current day travel through the region.

I'm from the area and lived through the 70s and 80s there. Most of them did not find a better life. Much of the population outflow from Detroit proper went to the suburbs, some went south. Few auto workers wound up with an improved standard of living after it was all done; industrial jobs in the south paid less and service jobs in the area paid much less. And this was repeated in cities all across the Midwest. Toledo, Flint, Lansing, Youngstown, Pittsburgh, Akron, Cleveland, Milwaukee, etc. were all hard hit by deindustrialization. This really hit the middle class hard and it was downright cruel to middle-aged workers. This remains a very sore subject with me since the human toll from all this was enormous and I saw it myself. The economic base of these cities was ripped away, leaving human misery in its wake. The idea that a laid-off auto worker pushing 50 was going to find a better life was a tenuous proposition from the beginning and the reality is that many of these people had their lives shattered by this. Few of the people really recovered and the same is true for these cities. Out of those I listed, only Pittsburgh is really doing well these days, on the strength of a strong health care economy, a couple of very good universities and something of a tech sector. The rest are going on 40 years of economic struggle.
Growing up in Houston suburbs, my first real job was in Oct. 1981 when I worked at a department store for the Christmas season and was kept on through March. I was unable to find another job.

A good friend of mine graduated from high school in June 1982, was unable to find a good job, he did work cooking in a restaurant, and joined the U.S. Navy where he served honorably.

And yet, no older adult told us jack shit.

No one said, actually we’re in a recession, this is not a normal economy. Or . . . it’s always been a numbers game, now more than ever, by all means, keep trying, don’t blame yourself, don’t get down on yourself because of the economy.

Last edited:

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
There in lies the problem. If other places have terrible wages and conditions, how can US workers compete? . . .
That’s kind of the gist of the matter. Free trade is supposed to be win-win, not a race to the bottom.

Globalization has lifted the living standards of many people in China. I’m less sure about other countries. I have read that regular farmers in Mexico we’re outcompeted by U.S. agribusiness ! ? ! Going to look up that one.

kernals12

Banned
That’s kind of the gist of the matter. Free trade is supposed to be win-win, not a race to the bottom.

Globalization has lifted the living standards of many people in China. I’m less sure about other countries. I have read that regular farmers in Mexico we’re outcompeted by U.S. agribusiness ! ? ! Going to look up that one.
Nobody ever looks at the other side of that: Mexicans Got Cheaper Food Thanks to Subsidized American Farmers

kernals12

Banned
There in lies the problem. If other places have terrible wages and conditions, how can US workers compete?
What would need to be done woukd be tariff any country that doesn't meet something close to Us working and later environmental standards.
Otherwise as you said you're playing against cheaters
We don't need to compete. We live in a world of scarce labor and endless demand for stuff that requires labor.

IMHO another issue is that some countries are more able (or willing ?) to redistribute wealth within their societies than others.

IMHO countries that can more easily re distribute / transfer wealth to segments of their population that loose out when a trade deal makes the country as a whole better off are more likely to benefit from free trade than countries that are less likely to redistribute / transfer wealth amongst their populations.

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
Mexican farmer's daughter: NAFTA destroyed us

CNN Money, Shasta Darlington and Patrick Gillespie Feb. 9, 2017

https://money.cnn.com/2017/02/09/news/economy/nafta-farming-mexico-us-corn-jobs/index.html

‘ . . . As cheap American corn came pouring in from the border, it had a devastating effect on her family. Her father, Benancio Mendoza, couldn't compete and make a living wage selling corn. He had to give up and move to the United States looking for a job. He took up a job as a cook in Tennessee, saving up money to send home so his kids could attend school.

‘"He went north looking for a job and I didn't see him again for 18 years," says Mendoza, who now works as a secretary for the local government.

‘While NAFTA did boost Mexico's manufacturing industry, it gutted many farming towns -- especially mom and pop corn farmers like Benancio's.

Mexico lost over 900,000 farming jobs in the first decade of NAFTA [1994 to 2003, Emphasis added], according to data from the United States Department of Agriculture. . . ’

‘ . . . NAFTA opened the Mexican market to U.S. corn producers who were subsidized by the U.S. government [Emphasis added] . . ’
Now, that last part is not supposed to be part of free trade, or it’s supposed to be figured in the accounting with I suppose the exact amount of subsidy being added on as a tariff at the border.

It does show that things get complicated. Not insolvable, but complicated.

marathag

Banned
Now, that last part is not supposed to be part of free trade, or it’s supposed to be figured in the accounting with I suppose the exact amount of subsidy being added on as a tariff at the border.

It does show that things get complicated. Not insolvable, but complicated.

Apples and Avacodoes, to a degree.

2/3rds of all Mexican Farms are under 12 acres, with a few percent of megafarms
farm-size-2007-pie-chart.jpg

march17_datafeature_macdonald_fig01_450px.png

Sorry I can't find a USDA chart exactly like the one for Mexico, but you can see that small Farms in the USA are almost half of the land set for farming.

A Small Farm, according to USDA census is a farm that is 179 acres or less in size, or earns $50,000 or less in gross income per year, so that's a bit different than the above chart

The average farm size in the USA is 434 acres

It's just brutal economics of scale, a tiny plot can't compete with a small sized US farm, let along a megafarm.

In the US, 'A' from the top chart is considered to be Gardens, not a 'real' farm

Well, if wages were flat but production was rising, all that money would have to go somewhere.

And I did include real wages in my chart, more accurately, real compensation.

I wasn't talking about that. I was talking about this:
Also, the "wages being the same as in 1970" story is very difficult to square with physical measures of affluence. Our homes are bigger than ever, we spend more money at restaurants than at grocery stores, and we use 50% more electricity on a per person basis than in 1970 despite quantum leaps in energy efficiency.

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
Nobody ever looks at the other side of that: Mexicans Got Cheaper Food Thanks to Subsidized American Farmers
IMHO another issue is that some countries are more able (or willing ?) to redistribute wealth within their societies than others. . .
This might be the way to square the circle.

In fact, I’ll go a step further and say I am a believer in what I’ll call the coming automation crisis. And I see some version of UBI (Universal Basic Income) as the only full and complete solution, and tilt toward an ownership society version, say, where every month you get a good, middle-class level of shares in the S&P 500. I do welcome non-UBI solutions.

And a partial solution which I don’t hear talked about near enough is, what if it became a societal norm that if you worked too much more than 40 hours a week, people would look at you kind of askance, as if it was a sign you were in over your head and weren’t doing as good a job of managing and delegating as you should? And/or if we got what we almost got in Dec. 2016, that it you make less than $47,000, you get time-and-a-half for overtime whether you’re classified as “hourly” or “salaried.”

kernals12

Banned
This might be the way to square the circle.

In fact, I’ll go a step further and say I am a believer in what I’ll call the coming automation crisis. And I see some version of UBI (Universal Basic Income) as the only full and complete solution, and tilt toward an ownership society version, say, where every month you get a good, middle-class level of shares in the S&P 500. I do welcome non-UBI solutions.

And a partial solution which I don’t hear talked about near enough is, what if it became a societal norm that if you worked too much more than 40 hours a week, people would look at you kind of askance, as if it was a sign you were in over your head and weren’t doing as good a job of managing and delegating as you should? And/or if we got what we almost got in Dec. 2016, that it you make less than $47,000, you get time-and-a-half for overtime whether you’re classified as “hourly” or “salaried.”
If robots automated everything we wouldn't need any income. We would be in a Star Trek style society where everything could be conjured up for free at the push of a button.

Don't get the rest of the world started on US farmers. Even without industrial scale farming they have been hiding behind a tarriff wall since the Depression.