Somewhat a sequel idea to this one I did sometime ago regarding had Scotland won that Euro Play-off match with England. Nice to have have a football question prior before the Euros coming up! :p

After that tie until now, Scotland have never made back to a major tournament and the first WC to miss out on was 2002, though looking back on the qualifying round, it was much closer than you might think. In their group of five they finished third behind Belgium and Croatia, both of whom would qualify for the finals though Scotland only missed on second pace by two points and only had one loss in the qualifying rounds against Belgium. The real butterfly here is Scotland's fourth group match at home to Belgium in which Scotland blew a 2-0 lead for the Belgians to claw the game back to draw 2-2 with a very late equaliser at the end. Had Scotland not blown it by drawing that game to hold on to win, I feel that things would have ended up differently if results remain the same in the group.

If that's the case, Scotland would have finished in the runners up spot where they would have faced the Czechs in the Play-off. Win that two legged affair and Scotland will be off to the World Cup and would have ended up in a half decent group with co-hosts Japan, Russia and Tunisia. Craig Brown likely stays on for one last tournament with Scotland here before bowing out Question is how would have Scotland got on and how might this affect the national team going forward, maybe butterflying the Berti Vogts era with Brown as mentioned before staying on a bit longer and then what for going forward for 2004 and 2006?

Would there have been chances in both ties against Croatia that Scotland should have taken?
Scotland ended up with draws in both encounters, the second one at Hampden was a 0-0 draw though Craig Burley did have a goal disallowed some five minutes before the end though honestly Scotland did nothing in that game to deserve a victory. Pretty much the much likely scenario to go through is that they don't draw to Belgium and win to seal second place.

If Scotland though did win the group, they would end up in a hard group with Italy, Mexico and Ecuador so maybe ending up in Belgium's position might not be bad compared to other groups of the past. Curiously enough had Scotland, in Belgium's position, ended up second place in the group like OTL they would have ended up facing Brazil in the last 16 which they'd have no chance you'll have to notice that if they somehow got past them, they'd end up facing England in the Quarter-Finals and God knows how that game might end up and the butterflies with that.

OK...

So Scotland beat Belgium 2-1. The 90th minute shot by Belgium goes over the bar thanks to the goalie reaching it with his fingertips.

Belgium only managed 1-0 wins in both legs of the play-offs OTL, so Scotland would definitely do better.

I think Brown probably would've quit after the World Cup anyway if we had made it, especially if we had made it into the knockouts for the first time. However, given that Walter Smith would've been available by that time, the SFA would probably have gone for him over Berti Vogts, so he'd have been butterflied away anyway.

I think Brown probably would've quit after the World Cup anyway if we had made it, especially if we had made it into the knockouts for the first time. However, given that Walter Smith would've been available by that time, the SFA would probably have gone for him over Berti Vogts, so he'd have been butterflied away anyway.
Question is how well they would have gone out there? I reckon Barry Ferguson, Gary Caldwell and James McFadden would have had a chance to play in a WC though I'm not sure if Craig Brown would be willing to try out a younger team compared to the 1998 team.

Interesting what you might think how they would have done in the group? If it's Group H as where Belgium ended up IOTL then Scotland would have a good chance to go through, however I'm picturing the image of England and Scotland fans mingling in Japan. :p

Well, I can easily see Scotland faltering against Japan, especially as they'd have the home advantage, but Russia and Tunisia would be winnable games. At least, they should be, this is Scotland we're talking about after all.

If they finished second in the group, they'd almost certainly lose to Brazil; England fans would spend a few days gloating about it, before they get knocked out by them a few days later!

If they topped the group, Turkey and Senegal would both be winnable games in theory, but, again, whether they'd be able to beat them in practice... (Against Turkey, especially, the joy of getting out of the group for the first time could distract them in the same way qualifying for the Euros did in the Nations League)

If they finished second in the group, they'd almost certainly lose to Brazil; England fans would spend a few days gloating about it, before they get knocked out by them a few days later!
IIRC, didn't Belgium had a goal ruled out in that game that shouldn't had been ruled out? Interesting if that goal still had stood of how different things might have been, then again when you think how rigged that WC might have been then it's not out of the question of something suspicious then.

Anyway, had Scotland managed to get past Brazil to face England in that Quarter-Final, God knows what madness would happen in that game as I always felt the 2002 England had the best chance to win the world cup that year had they got past Brazil, butterflies go crazy here if we get a battle of Britain out in Japan with many north and south of the border watching it early in the morning.

I think they were capable of drawing, even beating Japan, and then winning Group H.

It's tough to call afterwards. I see it two ways. A: they beat Turkey and Senegal then lose to Brazil. B: They lose to Turkey via golden goal.

I have decided to expand on this in a new TL!